Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Tapping the button? Never heard of that technique. Just holding down the button _not_ leading to screaming makes sense, depending on if/how hard you get smacked, heh :)

+100 for "fun size" zeds (if you haven't seen Brad Williams comedy.., well you should, he's hysterical :) )

Augers raise heat when, only only when, you press the button. If you hold it down all the time, no screamers. It's when people tap it they get screamers. This was told to me. So I hold the button and never get screamers.

In A17 it's definitely the case that you get screamers even if you keep the button pressed. If you're almost on bedrock the game can't spawn screamers anymore but in the console you can see that the game tried to spawn screamers.

I recently conducted a couple of tests to prove this, and the results were what I expected. I used the auger for fifteen minutes, holding the button down, and I got zero screamers during that time. I continued using the auger for another fifteen minutes, tapping the button constantly, and over the course of fifteen minutes, I got interrupted by two screamers.

Now, holding down the button still causes a small amount of heat, but it's nowhere near as bad vs if you were tapping the button. I suspect that roughly after the 1 hour mark, if you're holding the button down, you might get a screamer, but on average, I don't see anyone mining for that long.

Next time don't test it for 15 minutes, simply hit F3 and see if the heat map rises.

I think it makes 18 book cases (the second time you came to the empty house). Or you meant the trader sent you to the same type house (but in different place)?

I don't know for sure, I just remember I rinsed and repeated that twice, so it was probably a duplicate of the same POI. I went in and got the books before starting the quest when I recognized the house.

I can 100% guarentee you i have no option to drop nothing on death in my sp alpha 17 world.

- - - Updated - - -

Augers raise heat when, only only when, you press the button. If you hold it down all the time, no screamers. It's when people tap it they get screamers. This was told to me. So I hold the button and never get screamers.

Ah ok, I press and hold until I need to reload. I mean, there is no reason to tap unless you have slow reflexes or were trying to scuplt a perfect ramp out of density or something.

omg please, for the love of god, add a midget zomibe.

THAT IS something resources should be diverted too.

How funny would it be if a midget zombie just sprinted full speed at you or like rolled ????

We're talking about small zombies, little 1 meter egress guys. Imagine something like those kid spiders from the strain. Creepy enough you wouldn't feel any remorse shooting it, small enough to cause some scare factor hearing little footsteps creeping around, you couldn't even see it behind a kitchen counter.

We're talking about small zombies, little 1 meter egress guys. Imagine something like those kid spiders from the strain. Creepy enough you wouldn't feel any remorse shooting it, small enough to cause some scare factor hearing little footsteps creeping around, you couldn't even see it behind a kitchen counter.

Can of worms: Opened.

Coming to the Forums this Weekend: #ChildZombieGate

Starring: "You're a horrible person if you want to kill something that looks like a child!"

Starring: "This will lead to 7 Days being banned in my country!"

Starring: "I've been waiting for small childlike zombies for years now! Finally!!!!"

Starring: "It only makes sense that kids would turn. It makes the world more believable!!!"

and Special Guest Star: "If this ever happens I will uninstall!!"

See you all on Monday in the new thread created for this conversation...

Next Week: New pregnant mom zombie entity with animated zombie fetus viewable through its chew hole....

MadMole

in the future, could you make a new option in rwg possibly in advanced, where we could set the percentages of terrain type?say we wanted a map that was all forest or all desert? or we wanted 10% snow and the rest wastedlands. this would widen the replayability and allow for some of us to get maps more the way we want them to be instead of rngesusing the hell out of rwg to get a map we want to play on.

ps... I miss the plains biome

This is not true unless you are some weirdo who augers for hours at a time. I've never triggered a screamer with one yet.

Several hours not but 30 minutes or optionally until my inventory is full is not uncommon.

In A16 I never had any problems with screamers called by the auger but for some reason it's different in A17.

I also saw this happening to a streamer that used the auger and then had a screamer horde on its heels.

That's why I only work with the pickaxe and the shovel at depths over 15m.

I'll test it again at the weekend but I'm pretty sure that the auger spawn screamers even if you hold the button pressed.

And when I do (only at my base so far with a campfire, chem station and 2 forges running for 20+ minutes) its just free XP farming. My AK is amazing so its like whatever, one for you, one for you, oh two for you, one for you, etc.

Screamer hordes can get out of control pretty quickly if you're not careful. Especially at a higher gamestage when screamers spawn more screamers.

I have 12 forges in my workshop. 3 of them are for cement, 3 for iron and these usually run for several hours at a time. Fortunately I have the forges on the bedrock. Otherwise every 5 minutes a screamer would spawn. Even if a screamer would spawn she would get killed by the iron spikes in the trench around my base.

Starring: "You're a horrible person if you want to kill something that looks like a child!"

Starring: "I've been waiting for small childlike zombies for years now! Finally!!!!"

Starring: "It only makes sense that kids would turn. It makes the world more believable!!!"

Next Week: New pregnant mom zombie entity with animated zombie fetus viewable through its chew hole....

No lies though, Imagine the Mom zombie, It could be like Mr.Fappy's (the name we gave for those huge weird all skin and muscular weirdos that always scream and sprint). to where shes more of a special spawn and liek the cop, instead of vomiting she gives birth to the child sized zombieS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT would be AMAZING

It's amazing that you can build tools, vehicles and even whole buildings but you can't simply drink water using your hands anymore. ;)

Some people are never satisfied...geez

Do you understand the skills it takes to cup your hands....this is an inclusive game.....everyones a winner

I recently conducted a couple of tests to prove this, and the results were what I expected. I used the auger for fifteen minutes, holding the button down, and I got zero screamers during that time. I continued using the auger for another fifteen minutes, tapping the button constantly, and over the course of fifteen minutes, I got interrupted by two screamers.

Now, holding down the button still causes a small amount of heat, but it's nowhere near as bad vs if you were tapping the button. I suspect that roughly after the 1 hour mark, if you're holding the button down, you might get a screamer, but on average, I don't see anyone mining for that long.

Seems like a non issue and a steady purr of an engine would seem to attract less interest than intermittent sounds of starting/stopping anyway, so I'm fine with it as is.

Hello Madmole!

Any other videos coming, or is it crunch time already? :smile-new:

By the way, I know you're busy so thanks for taking the time to still come here on the forums... Very much appreciated!

I'll try to get one out today.

LOL of course. The idea is something small and terrifying. Could be a mudcrab from half life. I don't know. Cat zombies? But as a cat lover I can't go there lol. I guess I love dogs too but resident evil made them evil enough I don't mind killing zombie dogs. Something small and creepy. Maybe a torso that grew some spider legs or something like the thing. Doesn't have to be kid, but there really I see no problem with something strain ish. We want them popping out of the painting holes and heat ducts.

MadMole

in the future, could you make a new option in rwg possibly in advanced, where we could set the percentages of terrain type?say we wanted a map that was all forest or all desert? or we wanted 10% snow and the rest wastedlands. this would widen the replayability and allow for some of us to get maps more the way we want them to be instead of rngesusing the hell out of rwg to get a map we want to play on.

ps... I miss the plains biome

As I've said, after we get a stable RWG tech, we'll begin to expose generation options.

Archived