Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

7 Days to Die spoiled me in allowing me to enter any building. I hated the fact that so many structures in FO4 were decorations and props and not places to explore.

+1

Fallout have its own way, it had an idea to make the world of it more interactive in FO4. FO3 was gorgeous in any way, too. ( First and second one changed game industry)

And what broke it was exactly that. Many times it felt like just sight seeing and continue to your checkpoint or mission.

We can wack and gain benefits of all we see in 7dtd. Spoiled ? This is level up, for all of us :)

Not sure, I need to get well acquainted with electricity on a play through to really decide if it needs balancing or that would be a good mod.

When you reacquaint with electricity, would you consider making things like blade traps and electric fence poles draw more power when they’re actively engaging zombies? I don’t feel you can achieve a good balance if it has to draw the same amount of power whether it's running free all night or chewing through zombies all night.

(Yes, I know they kinda sorta take some damage from zombies, but that doesn't seem consistent.)

It's a design choice to not show animations for loading 8 slugs. Unless they change their minds it will remain a 2-slug reload animation into the future regardless of whom they hire. But maybe it will be an improved 2-slug reload animation. :)

I can keep looking for a more recent source, but I remember Madmole saying that if they had the ability to interrupt the reload animation, e.g. so you weren’t helpless while watching yourself load all eight or more shells one at a time, they could revisit it.

...I find loading 2 shells to have 8 in my gun to be gut wrenching awful to watch... I know it's suppose to be "fun" but it's just downright silly... Might as well just have him do the magazine reload animation on the bottom of it. Or better yet why even have an animation if we are cutting that many corners... ?

Shotgun loading should work how it does in L4D2, load one shell at a time, and if you interrupt the loading animation you get the number of shells you loaded in and that's it.

I did all the work to support this, but the programmers just don't have time to add it in yet.

That's great news. I don't mind that both crossbows use the same model. If I have two crossbows that I want to distinguish then I just put dye in one of them.

We might be able to get a new model in by release or patch it in yet.

Last thing I heard was that they were going for a battle royale mode which frankly, nowadays, sounds like a desperate, unimaginative move from a what-is-trending perspective. In other words they either should have done that way sooner/at release, or uhh.. take more time with the production of the game to release it in a decent state and use less copied/pasted assets from TES. I don't know, time will show.

I heard this too and it was disappointing. They are adding human quest givers and possibly factions, and attribute driven dialogue, but what it really needs IMO is:

*Persistent servers so your fort stays put when you log out and players can rebuild the world how they see fit.

*Solo offline play

*Mod support

*Vehicles

*Factions with NPC leaders and territorial goals that give perks

It's a design choice to not show animations for loading 8 slugs. Unless they change their minds it will remain a 2-slug reload animation into the future regardless of whom they hire. But maybe it will be an improved 2-slug reload animation. :)

Its a limitation, we'll get to it someday.

7 Days to Die spoiled me in allowing me to enter any building. I hated the fact that so many structures in FO4 were decorations and props and not places to explore.

Yeah they should have been remnants or wrecked with obvious clogged paths. Its just a detail. The same system has a strength on the buildings you can enter, they are very detailed because you are not rendering the outside world.

When you reacquaint with electricity, would you consider making things like blade traps and electric fence poles draw more power when they’re actively engaging zombies? I don’t feel you can achieve a good balance if it has to draw the same amount of power whether it's running free all night or chewing through zombies all night.

(Yes, I know they kinda sorta take some damage from zombies, but that doesn't seem consistent.)

Maybe it just needs to be more expensive. I wouldn't want it to use more power when chopping, how could you budget for such a thing?

Yes, writing enough reviews gives you a bonus in the "Steam Grand Prix" event that’s part of the summer sale.

Ah well thats a bit disappointing. At least they were positive reviews. At any rate, I think reviews will be great when 18 hits the streets.

Archived