Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

But this is exactly why it is such good news. Most of the critics claimed over and over again and again that the perk system was just objectively bad and ruined the game. So it’s great to hear from so many that think the game is not ruined at all just the way it is.

It doesn't really matter what anyone says. In the corresponding discussion everything was actually discussed but it was also made clear that LBD will not come back.

For me LBD was the right system but I also got used to the perk system even if it requires some restrictions from me because I don't fit into the classic build schemes. What I like about the A18 perk system is that there is both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon in each branch.

Just want to announce another twitch stream on fubarprime’s channel this Friday 9pm CST.

They will be playtesting A18 and probably doing some Q&A as well.

First question...why is 7 Days To Dies sky blue?

- - - Updated - - -

I put it in already, books are now a potential quest reward.

Nice

What rewards do you get if you're not wearing pants?

Inappropriate question.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but a personal defense system could go off at any time when a random wandering horde comes near your base.

Can’t we do that now with motion sensors? Or did I miss the removal of something?

Ok, first impressions are important, but should you really be giving so much weight to the first time new players will experience a sandbox etc game, in which replayability is far more important? Not saying you can't achieve both by easing the player into some complexity gradually, but if, for example, GGG, a garage studio, was afraid of "not being accessible enough" they wouldn't be selling their stakes' majority to tencent for 100m today.

As for F1, 2, 3 and NV, they were pretty straightforward imo with a lot of readily available information. As for F4, the "lobotomized fallout", I don't think it was accessibility or streamlining that made it such a financial success. It definitely rode on Skyrim's success and B's brand name, had great release timing and B invested a hell of a lot of money to market it properly.

I give weight to the best designs. To me I see zero advantages to picking a player class versus build your own like skyrim/fallout 4. Start with a blank slate and build what you want after you know what is what. Trying to force that decision on a new player or perhaps without any loot or what biome you are in, is too harsh of a decision.

I sometimes try to be something, but end up changing as I play because maybe I found an amazing shotgun, so I might abandon/delay the pistol build I had because this awesome shotgun is too awesome to not specialize in. Or if I see an amazing location in the snow, maybe I want to build there and would spec into weather survival a bit.

Fallout 4 was successful for those reasons, but also because of the building they added, weapon modding, power armor was awesome, etc. Sure the dialogue role play was gone, but at the end of the day it was arguably better than FO3 in many ways, and overall score wise, for me, yes it was better. Disappointing in a few ways, but I ended up logging way more hours in FO4 then 3 because it had a true open world, loads of higher quality mods, and the above mentioned systems.

Now 76 is a complete embarrassment, but it seems they are moving in the right direction, perhaps in a year or two it will be playable for me.

New Weapons and items:

Lockpicks

Baseball Bat

Grenade

Brass Knuckles

Spiked Knuckles

Primitive Spear

Iron Spear

Steel Spear

Wooden Bat

Steel Bat

Stone Sledgehammer

Steel Sledgehammer

M60 Heavy Machine Gun

Double Barrel Shotgun

Timed Charge

Taser Baton:

Junk Turret:

Still not even a mention of a modern scoped crossbow, that makes me a bit sad. I am not hating at you or any other member of TFP, but we got a ♥♥♥♥ty wooden crossbow for some time...and EVEN if you were to fix it's aim, it would still suck. Everytime I get a crossbow or bolts I scrap it because it's totally worthless. We got a compound bow, but still no compound crossbow. I still hope to get one from YOU TFP, not that mentality "Oh, let the modders do it for us", like you did with the bandits when players asked you if you could recruit npcs to follow you.

We had a wooden crossbow and wooden bow. The wooden bow was perfect, it was good enough and instead of doing a better crossbow weapon(since the current one is bad) you did a better bow, which we didn't even need, why? I really hope that you can tell me the reason behind it Madmole, or Roland. :upset:

Still not even a mention of a modern scoped crossbow, that makes me a bit sad. I am not hating at you or any other member of TFP, but we got a ♥♥♥♥ty wooden crossbow for some time...and EVEN if you were to fix it's aim, it would still suck. Everytime I get a crossbow or bolts I scrap it because it's totally worthless. We got a compound bow, but still no compound crossbow. I still hope for one from TFP, not that mentality "Oh, let the modders do it for us".

I'd also wished for a tier 2 crossbow. Unfortunately, quiet ranged weapons are obviously not very popular among the developers or players. :(

As far as the current use of the crossbow is concerned, I also like to use it in A17. You first have to invest points in archery to make reloading bearable, but then the crossbow is a very precise silent weapon that is well suited for stealth gameplay. And since you find quite a lot of crossbow bolts, you always have enough ammo. Fully modded and with points in Boom Headshot and Hidden Strike it is also very powerful.

New Weapons and items:

Lockpicks

Baseball Bat

Grenade

Brass Knuckles

Spiked Knuckles

Primitive Spear

Iron Spear

Steel Spear

Wooden Bat

Steel Bat

Stone Sledgehammer

Steel Sledgehammer

M60 Heavy Machine Gun

Double Barrel Shotgun

Timed Charge

Taser Baton:

Junk Turret:

Still not even a mention of a modern scoped crossbow, that makes me a bit sad. I am not hating at you or any other member of TFP, but we got a ♥♥♥♥ty wooden crossbow for some time...and EVEN if you were to fix it's aim, it would still suck. Everytime I get a crossbow or bolts I scrap it because it's totally worthless. We got a compound bow, but still no compound crossbow. I still hope to get one from YOU TFP, not that mentality "Oh, let the modders do it for us", like you did with the bandits when players asked you if you could recruit npcs to follow you.

We had a wooden crossbow and wooden bow. The wooden bow was perfect, it was good enough and instead of doing a better crossbow weapon(since the current one is bad) you did a better bow, which we didn't even need, why? I really hope that you can tell me the reason behind it Madmole, or Roland. :upset:

We have a compound crossbow, but its using the same model for now.

I give weight to the best designs. To me I see zero advantages to picking a player class versus build your own like skyrim/fallout 4. Start with a blank slate and build what you want after you know what is what. Trying to force that decision on a new player or perhaps without any loot or what biome you are in, is too harsh of a decision.

I sometimes try to be something, but end up changing as I play because maybe I found an amazing shotgun, so I might abandon/delay the pistol build I had because this awesome shotgun is too awesome to not specialize in. Or if I see an amazing location in the snow, maybe I want to build there and would spec into weather survival a bit.

Fallout 4 was successful for those reasons, but also because of the building they added, weapon modding, power armor was awesome, etc. Sure the dialogue role play was gone, but at the end of the day it was arguably better than FO3 in many ways, and overall score wise, for me, yes it was better. Disappointing in a few ways, but I ended up logging way more hours in FO4 then 3 because it had a true open world, loads of higher quality mods, and the above mentioned systems.

Now 76 is a complete embarrassment, but it seems they are moving in the right direction, perhaps in a year or two it will be playable for me.

I bought it (FO76) a couple of weeks ago and it's a pretty cool game now, when the next DLC comes out with human npc's, factions and what-not, it will be better, i think.

I've encountered in aprox 50 hours of gameplay 2 bugs, and 10 disconnections (but I play from Uruguay so it could be my internet service or due to latency issues) Pretty decent numbers comparing to skyrim.

- - - Updated - - -

A hummer.

You know, that vehicle.

LOL :fat:

We have a compound crossbow, but its using the same model for now.

That's great news. I don't mind that both crossbows use the same model. If I have two crossbows that I want to distinguish then I just put dye in one of them.

I'd also wished for a tier 2 crossbow. Unfortunately, quiet ranged weapons are obviously not very popular among the developers or players. :(

As far as the current use of the crossbow is concerned, I also like to use it in A17. You first have to invest points in archery to make reloading bearable, but then the crossbow is a very precise silent weapon that is well suited for stealth gameplay. And since you find quite a lot of crossbow bolts, you always have enough ammo.

So Madmole answered, looks like we have a compound crossbow, and we can expect it in the future. :fat:

I agree and also think it's best to let the player build their character gradually - what I am just saying is that some extra complexity later in the game for the sake of adding variety/replayability, either for character development or other parts of the game, wouldn't hurt. You have already added some with the books you will be adding in A18, which will definitely help give each playthrough a different flavor.

Tbh I used to play F3/NV with over 300 mods including the "real time settler", weapon mods etc, so that's what I am comparing F4 with. It was great that Bethesda implemented most of these themselves and naturally in a much more polished state than mods ever could. Unfortunately mods can't or it's almost impossible to change quest design, branches, etc or dialogues with professional voice-overs. I think that level design also felt more artificial/linear when it came to POIs. World was not half bad though. Anyway, my favorite aspect of Fallout since 1, was its RP/character development potential, which doesn't seem "fixable", so I couldn't help but be disappointed :/

Last thing I heard was that they were going for a battle royale mode which frankly, nowadays, sounds like a desperate, unimaginative move from a what-is-trending perspective. In other words they either should have done that way sooner/at release, or uhh.. take more time with the production of the game to release it in a decent state and use less copied/pasted assets from TES. I don't know, time will show.

@Madmole

In the interview video, you mentioned animations got some love... does this mean the shotgun reload animation is fixed now? Always annoyed me that it reloads two slugs no matter what.

Cheers,

Loc

It's a design choice to not show animations for loading 8 slugs. Unless they change their minds it will remain a 2-slug reload animation into the future regardless of whom they hire. But maybe it will be an improved 2-slug reload animation. :)

Disappointing in a few ways, but I ended up logging way more hours in FO4 then 3 because it had a true open world, loads of higher quality mods, and the above mentioned systems.

7 Days to Die spoiled me in allowing me to enter any building. I hated the fact that so many structures in FO4 were decorations and props and not places to explore.

It shows that when steam gives incentives to write reviews so that EVERYONE does it instead of just the angry people, you get a clearer picture of the overall feeling of the overall player base instead of a single slice of those who were married to the past.

maybe people just appreciate change? My review with early 17 was negative, I deleted that for now since I feel it is no longer warranter and if 18 comes anywherer close to the announcement, it will probably be positive. I always think it should refelect the current state and the path the game is taking. So a review isn't something set in stone.

Just my two cents

Archived