Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@Madmole

Just wanted to say that I’m loving the direction you are going with the perk system. I do have some questions and thoughts on it though.

1 - Are you adding professions into the game at some point (I believe this was talked about at some point)?

2 - I think you might be boxing yourselves in by making the perks have specific categories and essentially creating 5 or 6 character builds. You could really open up different builds by having a general perk list and pair it with professions that pre-select a few perks to start with. Then you could add perks and professions infinitely (to a point). Maybe your character starts with “x” perk points to spend at character creation? I don’t like comparing or referencing other games, but, I really think you should look into how Project Zomboid does their perk system. It’s not far off what you’re doing, but doesn’t have as many limitations.

Thanks taking the time to read our comments and suggestions!

Cheers,

Loc

Yes! The pimps should make a deal with Amazon to put Alexa in the game and she can control your security system.

“ Alexa! Where are the zombies now? “

“ I don’t know that. Please download the Alexa app for more features. “

Oh man... the immersion!

That would explain the vast amount of echo in the twitch stream. :-)

Given that ~4 weeks ago it was in about 6-8 weeks, ~2 weeks ago it was in about 6 weeks and July was not off the table, and today it is ~5-6 weeks, I would say it's probably around November ;)

With software development, and really with almost any project this is what happens. Based on the experience of person giving you the estimate, you should double it (if inexperienced) and add a third of that time with experienced. That way you will get much closer aproximation. Its because people tend to overestimate their abilities, underestimate the complexity of problems and they can never consider problems, that they dont even know exist.

With software development, and really with almost any project this is what happens. Based on the experience of person giving you the estimate, you should double it (if inexperienced) and add a third of that time with experienced. That way you will get much closer aproximation. Its because people tend to overestimate their abilities, underestimate the complexity of problems and they can never consider problems, that they dont even know exist.

I do the opposite. I set up the situation as near impossible and wayyy overestimate the time it will take. Then I look like a hero.

This is not really accurate.

In most businesses, a vague and continuous change of delivery date, will sink the company. End of story.

But companies vary greatly in style and management. Which causes differences in product delivery and perceptions from the costumer base.

TFP seem to have a very open and flat organisation structure (from what I can guess). This will inspire creativity and fun in the workplace, but hurts deadlines and CAN hurt the numbers.

Ultimately it's down to the costumers to weigh, whether they like TFPs approach or not. I for one enjoy the alpha journey, and TFP have been open the whole way.

So the complaints about time delays that pop up on the forums now and then, I always just view as uninformed players, griefers or frustrations. Nothing more...

Rust doesn't have 4x4's. How much meta water game do we want? Rust you just grab 5 gallon water tanks in loot and water bottles, the water catchers are a total waste of time gimmick waste of space/time feature.

ok fair enough but water catchers look cool to go with my Solar and Echo setup :)

Seriously though, a larger water vessel that you can drink from or care would be nice. yes I can make 20 buckets but I can't use a bucket to boil or to convert to water bottles.

when we move water to create fountains, ponds, moats, it is a pain, most servers we are not in creative mode so larger containers would help.

Is something like community building intended in future(not in A18, but one day)? like saving/hiring NPCs, beating raiders, setting orders, etc. it doesn't have to be vital to have your own colony, but maybe as a special game style?

The official stance is: "We'll see."

The official translation of that is is: "Probably not."

Its a fender stratocaster, I have the exact same one. I think its about 2500 usd.

The sound of heaven. Not the place to say/discuss more here, than that, but rock on them, a lot :)

Guitar playing is probably the best medicine for everything, so.. And I play piano mostly.

ok fair enough but water catchers look cool to go with my Solar and Echo setup :)

Seriously though, a larger water vessel that you can drink from or care would be nice. yes I can make 20 buckets but I can't use a bucket to boil or to convert to water bottles.

when we move water to create fountains, ponds, moats, it is a pain, most servers we are not in creative mode so larger containers would help.

Yes, in an zombie apocalypse with no running water you would think a water catcher would fit in. Maybe having some tank(s) that catches rain and having a pipe connected to an indoor sink same as wires attach now from generators to electrical items.

I think this is the highest I've seen for the reviews of this game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/

If A18 is as good as the Pimps are touting then I can see an "overwhelmingly positive" rating.

Also, I swear zombies don't climb ladders anymore, like at all.

But wait....here on the forum the game is ....well...you know....eeethm...nvm ;)

Cheers

-edit- power to sticking to your own vision 💪

I think this is the highest I've seen for the reviews of this game. https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/

If A18 is as good as the Pimps are touting then I can see an "overwhelmingly positive" rating.

Wait... a...minute. Very positive reviews WITHOUT "learning by doing" . So many people here have told us THAT was the reason of the mixed/negative reviews. LBD must be back in? I mean, the LBD crowd couldnt have been wrong so it must be back. :)

#saltinwounds

It shows that when steam gives incentives to write reviews so that EVERYONE does it instead of just the angry people, you get a clearer picture of the overall feeling of the overall player base instead of a single slice of those who were married to the past.

(swearing is bad for your health), i just tested that in a18... the zombie did climb a ladder to dance with me on a roof...:)

Idea about the way of pumping the character in the game!!!

This post is about the way of pumping the character in the game. You have refused to passively increase the perk level with the help of the action, but now many players are outraged that by killing zombies you can find out how to extract ore and so on.

I have an idea how to add logic here)

We have 5 attributes. Each attribute allows you to create a specific character class. Each attribute contains perks that are needed by this character class.

I propose to add to the game NPC attribute teachers:

- NPC teacher Perception (perception attribute and his perks);

- NPC teacher Weightlifter (attribute Power and his perks);

- NPC teacher Survivor (attribute Fortitude and his perks);

- NPC teacher Slick (attribute Agility and his perks);

- NPC teacher Scientist (Intellect attribute and its perks);

These will be the same NPCs as traders, only they will sell knowledge (levels of attributes and perks).

For each level of attribute or perk, the teacher will need to give away experience points and some money, food, parts, or something else.

Teachers can also have separate bases, or travel the world.

Teachers will be able to randomly appear in the locations of merchants every few days, which is much better.

On the first day, the Perceptualist teacher, on the fourth day - the Survivor teacher, on the ninth day - the Scientist teacher and so on.

This approach will make it logical to increase the skills of the character, and will add interest to this part of the game. Also, teachers will be able to give quests, and as a reward increase some level of attribute or perk.

What do you think about it? I think it's very good idea... may be for A19 )))

Missing time critical sales.

Thing is they seem to miss the best chances of capitalising on positive sales. The release of A18 before the steam sales would have been climatic timing for the game and the reviews.

Still I know why it's just not ready, but times like sales and year events i.e. Halloween, Christmas etc releasing a major update at these times is major business sense.

That off my chest, roll on A18.

Thing is they seem to miss the best chances of capitalising on positive sales. The release of A18 before the steam sales would have been climatic timing for the game and the reviews.

Still I know why it's just not ready, but times like sales and year events i.e. Halloween, Christmas etc releasing a major update at these times is major business sense.

But AX.0 is always bad and gets bed reviews. You need to wait until AX.3 to be playable usually :)

Another side effect of this system is that fancy forts will take some more effort and the feeling of pride building something that was collected should feel a lot more rewarding and intuitive. Instead of scavenging for materials, just scavenge for what you want.

Madmole, t Alpha 18, we will be able to assemble a workbench, chemical station, concrete mixer, locksmith, forge, spotlight, etc. and draw to our base? ) Yeeeessss !!! )))

It's literally an alpha game. Not feature complete, therefore alpha.

Getting it done and polished up will be better in the long run. =)

This post is about the way of pumping the character in the game. You have refused to passively increase the perk level with the help of the action, but now many players are outraged that by killing zombies you can find out how to extract ore and so on.

What do you think about it? I think it's very good idea... may be for A19 )))

Personally do not like it to be honest. When i need to craft medicine on tenth day and finally got levels for that, i need to do it on tenth day, not on 18th day. Also, running away from gathering, building and looting trough half the map just to buy perks same way i did, only now it "looks better".

Personally do not like it to be honest. When i need to craft medicine on tenth day and finally got levels for that, i need to do it on tenth day, not on 18th day. Also, running away from gathering, building and looting trough half the map just to buy perks same way i did, only now it "looks better".

You can create a medicine if you find a recipe, it is logical. You will not be able to learn how to make medicines if you just cut wood and kill zombies, and this is also logical. What you want is not logical, but it's easier) Why then play? Where is the survival?

Archived