Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes, and you can craft them quite easily/early on. Not all of my storage is, but many are, the small wall safes, especially when space is tight like this room. The only safe that was there was the one on the desk, where i keep my dukes and stuff to sell to trader. I also made all of the cabinets(furniture helper) and use those. I only have 2 actual storage in that room, then like a dozen other smaller ones like safes and cabinets. I also love the larger gun safes, but have no room for them in this build, plus they cost a ton more material, steel too not iron, so they're later game. I've had armory rooms with one large safe per caliber/gun, stuff like that, which is always a fun build.

Best bonus to using safes though: durability, just in case.

I didn't even know you could craft those little safes.

With fists like that you are the blender within the blender.

Meta levels of blending my dude, should be quite the blood moon. So you're just gonna hang out in that steel room open doors and smack down whoever makes it that far?.. if they make it that far...

Nah, but I will retreat there if worse comes to worse. My first position will be on top of the walls like last time. :)

About to record it now, debating whether to post it tonight or tomorrow.

We've discussed at length a new fracture system that did collateral damage to adjacent blocks but I don't know if we'll ever do it, we should leave some things for the sequel.

Wait what?! U guys are planning a sequel. Don't toy with my emotions I've got a weak heart.

Sure can, I learnt that the hard way. Had a coal mine in a previous game that also contained nitrate: A full gunpowder mine! I was SO pumped, I mined the F out of it...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30041[/ATTACH]

so... there used to be a hill there and now it's a hole. No idea how I survived, but I was learnt good and now reinforce as I go. The wood logs are cheap, work well, and look great, even feel like legit supports in a mine. It really is fast, efficient, and cheap to install the catwalks as you go too, so why not.

Yeah I was talking to Gazz saying hey we need some kind of block of wood that burns for 10 or 20 minutes exactly so I don't have to click 5000 pieces of wood in the forge and he's like oh you mean like a log? I crafted one and love them. I didn't even think about it, but now I keep a stack of 10 logs in my workstations for easy math wood, plus it feels right throwing a log in the fire.

I didn't even know you could craft those little safes.

I discovered them in the workbench back in A16 and have been using them ever since. Can make the little ones pretty early on too, just some forged iron, mech parts, and a few springs I think. They're great for tight spaces, and I have one as backup/dropoff storage in my BM tower too, where it's both out of the way and can take a lot of damage if need be.

Ah, yeah I watched that too, was a neat BM base he made, looked fun. Our names are similar in here, surprised you keep up on who is who in general.

I've had so, so, many fun builds converting POIs, and yes is it does have far more sense of purpose than minecraft ever did, true that. But boy oh boy do the little improvements add up in A18, this alpha is a serious upgrade in so many ways, especially for building.

Yeah I'm addicted to it, and that is good for the game getting all those hours hands on, adding stuff we need, tweaking, taking notes, etc.

Testing out the Bladed Curtain, my final line of defense within my horde base. (Note: Yes, I can repair them from above. ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPQW0RVw-84

No idea in A18 but in A17 having the traps in the middle would result in the zeds targetting and destroying them.

Set off to one side so just the blade extended into a 1-blk-wide access corridor resulted in traps dealing damage until they broke, but they were never outright destroyed.

I'm definately interested in seeing how it works; keeping fingers crossed you get a nice wandering/screamer horde and record it :)

Hey, MM, you need to buff campfires for horde defense... lel.

Seriously though I just did my day 14 horde and was on game stage 61 and I used a line of burning campfires for my defense.

I was going to see if I could keep up with repairs and have the campfires kill them all, but my base design allowed some zombies to glitch through my bars and almost killed me lel. Then the buzzards got me low and I had a blinking red liquid thing and at first I thought it was some kinda bleeding crap.

Then I looked and realized it was because all the fire was powering through my hydration and I was dehydrated.

I plan on testing campfires again with a design I know they should not glitch through.

There was so much fire and fire on the horde that the fire glitched out and half of the fires looked like they were not still burning when they were.

Was funny to see a screamer during the horde, and quite a few showing up in the morning when it was over lel.

Campfires seem to work okay, and the zombies do not really attack them much. In earlier versions they would destroy them all. Figured I would mention it since I do not care if you nerf them and am not sure how much damage they do anyway lel.

Probably less effective than spikes tbh, and all that heat... well right after the horde you might get another one lol.

Agree, so, about that water feature...

Would love to add such embellishments but I ain't messing with water, not yet.

Seriously though the terrain upgrade alone has massively made the water look better as it is, so much better, hard to believe it's actually the same water as before.

Yeah well its reflecting the natural beauty so it is going to look nicer. I think we did a bit to the shader too.

No idea in A18 but in A17 having the traps in the middle would result in the zeds targetting and destroying them.

Set off to one side so just the blade extended into a 1-blk-wide access corridor resulted in traps dealing damage until they broke, but they were never outright destroyed.

I'm definately interested in seeing how it works; keeping fingers crossed you get a nice wandering/screamer horde and record it :)

Thanks for the tip. :) What I'll do is replicate the design in a creative test world, spawn in some zombies, and record their reactions to it sometime. ;)

Yeah I was talking to Gazz saying hey we need some kind of block of wood that burns for 10 or 20 minutes exactly so I don't have to click 5000 pieces of wood in the forge and he's like oh you mean like a log? I crafted one and love them. I didn't even think about it, but now I keep a stack of 10 logs in my workstations for easy math wood, plus it feels right throwing a log in the fire.

Oh dang, never thought of that either. Does sound more convenient, and yeah the ol "throw another log on the fire." thing, nice. Icing meet cake.

I only burn reg wood/planks. I've seen some people do doors, or frames. Some even burn coal, which I get confused by because wood is just so abundant by comparison, but if you have a ton of coal and it burns better then it makes sense. I just haven't played with fuel types in forges much at all, should though, I sure use them enough.

Not really arguing for a change here, just explaining my thoughts a bit.

Any firearm can fail to fire. Be it a simple failure to feed, a bad round, or actual breakage.

Military stresses maintenance to minimize failures. Nothing can absolutely prevent all failures.

A game mechanic that added in an uncommon but 'possible at anytime' failure would add an, "oh Shxx!" element, and I like those. It tests your calm under stress & how well, or not, you've prepared for it.

Can see how it might not be wanted as a default feature, but I do hope it will be possible to mod it in.

I want to test the waters with vehicle break downs in the future and see how people react to being stranded in the wasteland at night, and give some weight to the grease monkey perk. Imagine like the lock picking minigame but with repair. If people like it, we could consider weapons jamming, and the same minigame to fix it. It could happen frequently on brown and rare on pink.

Your name always reminds me of the Sclerotic Ring, which we monkeys don't have, but tons of other animals do. Like, actual eye bones. Pretty sure most birds, and thus dinosaurs, have them, even thought they are often not in fossil reconstructions. Is one my my fav parts of a fossil reconstruct I have, a dino that ran around North America with T-Rex and Trikes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30042[/ATTACH]

You can see them if you look closely, he's next to a bot I worked on where I did make "eye bones" of sorts, custom shaped ones for each prototype.

The most well known example is probably from the Dunkleosteus:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30043[/ATTACH]

But far more animals have these than people realize, and actual mechanical lens, of sorts. I was, and am still, surprised this neat fact is not more common knowledge.

There, hope that helps you tell us apart Mad Mole;) I make mechanical animals, and he has bones in his eyes, in a good way.

He just needs an avatar.

Its interesting: I've read several people now getting "bored" just when the game starts getting dangerous...

To each their own way, of course.

I enjoy the early survival game the most and not being much of a builder/miner I do get bored later on when I have stacks of supplies, it's not really about the game getting harder.

I like harsher conditions and I've tweaked the gameplay so radiated show up in the first week. It feels more survival based if there are things that make u feel 'oh sh** I need to turn back now!' Like a radiated biker on day 3 XD

25% loot drop helps but its only delays being stocked up again, not sure ppl will enjoy being underpowered and having to scrounge for bits of food even on day 100 but that would be an awesome game for me and keep me playing long term to see how long I could survive.

I'll be honest with you. In alpha 16.4 we could play 60min days no problem. Since a17 it just feels too rushed. I played 120 minutes and it was a little over the sweetspot. It's feeling like if you add up to the quests and complexity of the game npc interactions, 60 minutes is just not doable anymore.

The current 60 minute time reminds me of the clunky perk system in a17. You suffer and yet you feel like you are never good enough; in this case you feel like you are never "capable of staying put because of your achievements", which is not fun if you worked for it for tens or hundreds of hours.

Edit: Meaning, you may be late game. But being able to pick your fights sounds like a benefit, or at least having breathing room to prepare very comfortably because of the extra time . It's not like you won't have threats anymore. You are always in constant threat in this game.

I get plenty done on 60 minute days. I like the pressure. Some times though you just have to commit to what you want to get done and skip a few things and improvise. Like I wanted to have more time to make my base, but its literally a box with not even one row of spikes. I got an m60 and quite a few rounds so I'm just going to wing it with some wood bars on a couple sides of my box base. I did get it upgraded to brick, but its only day 14, so I'm not worried.

He just needs an avatar.

If someone could inform me of the process of enabling one's avatar, that would be appreciated. (: If it requires the linking of a Steam account, then that will be tricky; I created an account on these forums years ago but have since lost the password and the email affiliated with it, and when I tried to link my Steam account, that old, dead account was the only result it could find. :/

I want to test the waters with vehicle break downs in the future and see how people react to being stranded in the wasteland at night, and give some weight to the grease monkey perk. Imagine like the lock picking minigame but with repair. If people like it, we could consider weapons jamming, and the same minigame to fix it. It could happen frequently on brown and rare on pink.

Nice! Looking forward to it :)

Man.. that's a good fight..is that announced or theoretical?

I really like Johnny Walker.. he is hilarious.. but he may be a bit new still.. needs higher level experience.

I WANT walker to win -- hell im saying Walker is going to win!!

That fight is coming up soon :) Two weeks if I'm not mistaken on the Diaz Masvidal card.

He's going to knock Anderson out in the first round. His chin isn't that great and he's kind of slow. His striking isn't so good. His whole game is to take you down and ground and pound you, but walker is so tall, strong and fast, and coming to kill you with a flying something, that I don't see it happening. Anderson starts slow and Walker is nuts. I say its over in the first minute.

You build it brother we will come

That one is for you Snow!

Trying out random BM now. Starting a fresh game to see what shakes. Still playing vanilla, but testing mods in my spare time. I can honestly say I haven't been this into vanilla for so long in a long time. The team deserves a round on me. Or a protein shake. Whichever will suit you good sir!

I'd do the protein shake but most the guys would take the beer lol. Glad you are liking it.

I was thinking lead should be put into more items for crafting. Potassium nitrate and coal are used in a lot of items. Is lead used in anything else besides bullets? Lead seems to be the most prominent ore in the game besides iron.

Radiation shielding perhaps, its not used in much since they discovered its so toxic. I'd rather just reduce the ore veins and see more coal and nitrate tbh.

Archived