Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

A few thoughts from last night's session:

Vultures happily attack people at 100% health now. I miss the old (and wrong, btw) theory that they only attack the injured.

The new small piles of canned food on tabletops in POI's are great, they're keeping me going in our 3-player game, and I think it's absolutely hilarious my kids walk right past them all the time. Since they're usually ahead of me that means I get the free food without having to fight every zombie for every can. Win!

The metallic clunk when that pack of wolves jumped me last night (I was wearing metal armor) threw me off for a couple seconds but after the fight was over I thought it was rather cool. Too metal-door sounding though, need one that's more muffled since the armor is on a fleshy thing. Shouldn't ring like scrap if the body is dampening the vibration.

Whoever was saying anvils are hard to get a few pages back, we had two on/by day 2. Working Stiff boxes in so many POI's really changes the balance of things like that. Loot more craft less. We also found the bellows and a forge book, right AFTER I took that skill point, I might add...RNG has a wicked sense of humor that way.

Ok, just had a very annoying bug: before starting a POI fetch quest, I put down a storage chest to store additional loot I was carrying.

Well, starting the quest, the POI got reset, including deleting my chest (and all its contents).

Maybe you can scan for player placed chests, and keep them in the reset POI, when not colliding with a POI placed block.

Or show some warning message

Just place it farther out?

Or it coudl be added to the list it checks like how it checks for beds/respawn points

I can kill a horde with shiv. And I find a18 to be perfect (playing always warrior level). It is rewarding and fun and not easy. This game was a polarizing bunch of clunky systems mixed with some good mechanics. Now It's the opposite. I feel I can play it past day 28. That's huge. If you can make this game function perfectly without bandit/campaign content, steam library will have only 1 game for me when those are in.

I was the same way before 18, end game at day 28-35 with every alpha.

There is no difference. If there is no threat then you can loot and such starting right when the horde ends, 12am, 2am, no difference. I do play with 64 and sometimes edit the xml to 100 but if you kill them fast enough they always stop coming. If it takes you all night to kill 8 zombies that's fine, but for people that are efficient and kill them fast they should keep coming. Then again I've been playing for a while and they used to have it where hordes just keep coming and not stop.

Agree to disagree on this.

Ever play horde every night with permadeath?

Well said! It's just like back in A16, to a degree; the first several hordes were somewhat underwhelming to say the least, but post day 49+, the switch was flipped. If you didn't have a suitable base, a boatload of ammo, traps... You were ef'ed. I am normally quite passive, but to anyone who is saying that A18 is "lackluster" thus far, I would love to see the looks on their faces when A18's switch is flipped, so to speak. (That is, if they keep playing. I hope they do; it's a fantastic game. :) )

I build my own base so that time is needed to get a good strong base built.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29571[/ATTACH]

Amen brother! GG on A18e to all the devs. Awaiting with bated breath the next experimental release, hopefully with fix(es) for the fps issue. Until then, running the game in a 720p window.

I know we have a Delete on Death option for gear now, but any chance we will see a true Dead is Dead option in the near future (where it also deletes the character profile/save, and resets any cell with LCB placed)?

Yes hopefully.

Oh I don't know about that. One of our testers has a team of dudes and he said 100% of their time is spent trying to get ammo. Guppy is a noob (with alpha 18) and is making blanket statements about the game at a very low GS. He has a rude (or welcome awakening) coming.

There is a reason I never showed any low gs hordes, they are a snooze for veterans, but give it time, it gets very nasty.

As someone who got up to a high gamestage in previous alphas, I concur 100%. You suddenly don't just have to worry about the zombies charging at you, you have to worry about dead zombies being resurrected by the healers. If you don't waste away the healing zombies immediately, you can easily end up in a cluster♥♥♥♥ of a situation.

And that was in reply to my initial questions? Why? What's the relation and how does it mean there's too much ammo in the loot?

Well, if there wasn't too much ammo in the loot - I would need to be crafting it, or I would have to use a bow or melee. I don't have to craft ammo, and I don't have to use a bow or melee - I can continue to shoot a gun - thus there's too much ammo in the loot. Again, I'm talking about early in the game, the first month in the game. I don't know or care about late game, yet. We seem to be talking about two completely different points. I don't want to be able to shoot a gun without worrying about ammo in the first week of the game -but currently I can do just that. I'd much rather be forced to use more primitive weapons.

To tell you where I am at - when I first get a gun in the game my first expression is to say 'awwwww' out loud in disappointment, because that early game fun was just soo short-lived.

It's still fun going through POIs with firearms and explosives and setting up traps or whatever. It's still fun. But, it's a different kind of fun. I just want the early game to last longer. I have too much ammo for early game. I do not care if I won't have enough for late game, yet. We will see.

Going to play a lot this weekend, and I'll probably well-surpass a couple-months playtime and i'll see what happens at the later stages.

Dunno if I can sit through level (whatever I am now) to get to level 80 to see if there's any additional challenge. Hell by then I'll have even more chests of concrete and ammo.

..and you're a single guy who uses the same system of "us" to determine what players want...

Yeh yeh e3 booth, but you were as equally enthusiastic about a17 as you are 18, so I'll just wait until the shininess wears off and others of the "us" start saying the same thing.

I'm not sure how you sat through a 1-a 17 then if that is how you feel, A18 is fantastic in comparison. I'm not begging you to keep playing, but damn at least give it to day 56. Have you even poured any concrete? Its grindy AF now that its 20 I spend loads of time trying to get enough.

Also, do remember MM is balancing the game along HIS playstyle. because that is his perspective. the rest of us, <using that word loosely> are just trying to add ours for a more balanced game.

I live in a glass house. Now where did I leave that Mole shaped rock?

I have added tons of features I will never touch for the player base. I listen to everyone, but not anyone.

Living off the land could easily scale down the cost of farm plot resources to make, if I understand you correctly you feel they are too expensive to craft?

Yes, but I play solo mainly or sometimes with one other person. Reading later posts, I see that farming may be more necessary in multi-player. But with that many people killing and looking for the materials to craft the plots, it would be easier to obtain. I understand it is a balancing act (solo vs MP vs PVP), but would love to make farming easier in solo. Food isn't a problem at all in solo, I can do a few raids on POI's and a couple trader quests and have more food than I can use in 7-10 in game days. I just enjoy the farming and crafting food portion of the game...

I feel like the hordes I saw in your A18 videos were much nastier than the ones I've experienced, same day, no deaths, etc. Too be perfectly honest the hordes end way to early.

I know the hordes have a set amount of zombies because why would you continue killing them fast if they just keep re-spawning? But they should keep coming until 4am. Just have a system of reward for killing zombies after your set zombie count.

Example: You just killed 64 zombies super fast, which would end the horde night. Instead keep the zombies coming and add a buff on the side that grants zombie exp and loot drop chance an increase of say, 5%.

I don't know, just seems so lame that a horde ends so quick because you're efficient at killing them. That should be rewarded durning horde night and not a be a "this is it?" type thing.

TLDR: Make hordes last until 4am

Log out and log back in. Horde restarts.

Day 20 and I've only had food poisoning once, in the beginning when I had to eat 12 charred meats. I save all my canned food and just make blueberry pies, hot dogs, meat stew, etc. High tier food is the way to do it. I'm swimming in food so if I do get sick it's no biggie. People are overly paranoid about this. 4% change! You still have a 96% chance nothing will happen.

Yeah its just enough to keep you on your toes early game IMO.

Archived