Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Can I ask why horde night is based on total numbers of zombies versus just having zombies come until 4am? I’m not complaining, just curious about it. I assume there must be a reason. I’d love to see them come all night but not if there’s a performance issue or something similar. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask why horde night is based on total numbers of zombies versus just having zombies come until 4am? I’m not complaining, just curious about it. I assume there must be a reason. I’d love to see them come all night but not if there’s a performance issue or something similar. Thanks in advance.

Because most players on day 7 will run out of ammo. Having them last all night is punishing someone for being good.

Well, if there wasn't too much ammo in the loot - I would need to be crafting it, or I would have to use a bow or melee. I don't have to craft ammo, and I don't have to use a bow or melee - I can continue to shoot a gun - thus there's too much ammo in the loot. Again, I'm talking about early in the game, the first month in the game. I don't know or care about late game, yet. We seem to be talking about two completely different points. I don't want to be able to shoot a gun without worrying about ammo in the first week of the game -but currently I can do just that. I'd much rather be forced to use more primitive weapons.

To tell you where I am at - when I first get a gun in the game my first expression is to say 'awwwww' out loud in disappointment, because that early game fun was just soo short-lived.

It's still fun going through POIs with firearms and explosives and setting up traps or whatever. It's still fun. But, it's a different kind of fun. I just want the early game to last longer. I have too much ammo for early game. I do not care if I won't have enough for late game, yet. We will see.

Going to play a lot this weekend, and I'll probably well-surpass a couple-months playtime and i'll see what happens at the later stages.

OK, so you're looking for slower progression to firearms then. I can get on board with that. The first days are my favorite. This is so much different than a plea for lowering the ammo in the loot. Why didn't you just ask for less weapons in the loot first? Why pick on the ammo when we all know (regardless of Guppy's claims that he is the ammo king sitting on Mount Munition at gamestage 5000 with more days than hours since experimental launch in both SP and MP, going uphill both ways blindfolded with a broken leg) that we will need absurd amounts in the days 100+???

Yes but last night I was experiencing stalls of less than 10fps and had to restart my pc to fix it. We're not out of the woods yet. I did make my own build so maybe something was funky, they are testing the steam rc now.

Had such an experience, too.

A wandering horde spawned nearby, and my fps dropped to 10-15. Funny that my comrade, who was connected to my game, didn't notice anything although he was fighting with my. But my fps-drop vanished about 1 min later.

I have added tons of features I will never touch for the player base. I listen to everyone, but not anyone.

true, my comment is to be taken with a grain of salt, a few of my ideas over the years as wells as Ideas from other players have made it into the game.

on the farm plot. I know that just before it hit for the streamers, you added 100 clay into the recipe cause for some reason it was taken out. That is all well and good, but time to revisit.

I have been crunching the numbers a bit. usually I can get 25 clay from a block +/- 5 from perks. that farm plot is to equate 1 block if I am not mistaken. but somehow my head doesnt wrap around fitting back into that 1 plot that I can take at max currectly 25 pieces out, and fit 100 pieces of clay back in? plus flesh and wood and nitrate.

Suggest nerfing that to maybe 50 clay?

edit: not to make it easier, just the reasoning side of my brain and possibly other peoples as well, says wtf?

OK, so you're looking for slower progression to firearms then. I can get on board with that. The first days are my favorite. This is so much different than a plea for lowering the ammo in the loot. Why didn't you just ask for less weapons in the loot first? Why pick on the ammo when we all know (regardless of Guppy's claims that he is the ammo king sitting on Mount Munition at gamestage 5000 with more days than hours since experimental launch in both SP and MP, going uphill both ways blindfolded with a broken leg) that we will need absurd amounts in the days 100+???

That's what I thought I was articulating..I could have sworn I said over and over that I wanted the primitive part to last longer before you started having guns and ammo. But, yep..same here..first few days have some of my favorite, most tense moments...I'd just like them to extend that out some. A reduction of ammo\guns in loot in the early days is one of the ways to do it.

I cannot speak for well into the late game when everyone's gamestage is really high and we have a non-stop stream of special infected and radiates barreling down at our base..You very well could be playing the ammo game at that point.. Which is fine with me. I'm not even there yet though.

I build my own base so that time is needed to get a good strong base built.

This right here might be part of the disconnect between us; to me it makes no sense to build your own base until you already have all of the mats. There are plenty of heavily fortified pois with nice big roofs to take over until that point.

This allows me a lot more loot time which allows me to level up more quickly which gets me stronger faster.

This right here might be part of the disconnect between us; to me it makes no sense to build your own base until you already have all of the mats. There are plenty of heavily fortified pois with nice big roofs to take over until that point.

This allows me a lot more loot time which allows me to level up more quickly which gets me stronger faster.

^ what he said is , from all the years i've been playing, the best way to start the game.

EDIT: minus leveling fast, thats a no no early on for me. Leveling to fast greatly increases the probability of dieing.

That's what I thought I was articulating..I could have sworn I said over and over that I wanted the primitive part to last longer before you started having guns and ammo. But, yep..same here..first few days have some of my favorite, most tense moments...I'd just like them to extend that out some. A reduction of ammo\guns in loot in the early days is one of the ways to do it.

I cannot speak for well into the late game when everyone's gamestage is really high and we have a non-stop stream of special infected and radiates barreling down at our base..You very well could be playing the ammo game at that point.. Which is fine with me. I'm not even there yet though.

Yeah, you did in your later posts until it became clear this is what you really are looking for. It wasn't mentioned at all in your first post on the subject.

I chimed in then because I know what harm a global drop in ammo loot will do for the late game. This is the first time in a long time that late game has gotten some love, and I personally don't want to see it go away because people are arguing with a blanket statement that there is too much of it, without getting to late game to make such a claim.

I'm not sure how you sat through a 1-a 17 then if that is how you feel, A18 is fantastic in comparison. I'm not begging you to keep playing, but damn at least give it to day 56. Have you even poured any concrete? Its grindy AF now that its 20 I spend loads of time trying to get enough.

I had some work come up this week but I imagine by now we have crates of the stuff... when I last logged on we were already starting the factory.

Because mining has zero challenge.

I know you always think I'm arguing with you, but I like what I like, and don't what I don't. :)

For the record, I've offered just as much praise for a18 as negatives.

Yeah, you did in your later posts until it became clear this is what you really are looking for. It wasn't mentioned at all in your first post on the subject.

I chimed in then because I know what harm a global drop in ammo loot will do for the late game. This is the first time in a long time that late game has gotten some love, and I personally don't want to see it go away because people are arguing with a blanket statement that there is too much of it, without getting to late game to make such a claim.

Ah, I gotcha. I can understand that. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm excited to get to the later stages and see what happens. Off I go to play.. Happy weekend :)

Lol, you forgot the snow.

Because most players on day 7 will run out of ammo. Having them last all night is punishing someone for being good.

You call it punishment, I call it more chances at yellow bags of loot and XP. :D

Maybe Guppy can grace us with an updated horde night trickle mod for A18 for those of us who don't want to simply restart the horde? Didn't A16 have three horde waves with a trickle of one or two zombies every few minutes between waves if you were especially efficient? Seems forever ago.

Seriously enjoying the update, btw. The difference from A17 is astonishing. Nice work!

Archived