Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yeah, you did in your later posts until it became clear this is what you really are looking for. It wasn't mentioned at all in your first post on the subject.

I chimed in then because I know what harm a global drop in ammo loot will do for the late game. This is the first time in a long time that late game has gotten some love, and I personally don't want to see it go away because people are arguing with a blanket statement that there is too much of it, without getting to late game to make such a claim.

I honestly don't think a drop in loot is the answer, or even a drop in loot at all. I think bringing back degradation is in order. Sure, fix your weapon, but it drops a quality level.

...don't think that would pair well with the random stats though.

I think we need more things to shoot at. Things that would make sure we don't have 5 days to mine.

Like marathon hordes that don't stop until all its number have spawned. I kinda like that idea, think it has some merit to it.

Isn't that pretty much how it is now?

MaxAlive spawns, kill one zombie, another replaces it immediately. Repeat until the max count of the blood moon has spawned.

At least, that's how it appears. I haven't looked in the xml at all.

I love how people selectively choose when realism rules apply. Its quite humorous. Since anyone can use it whenever they wish to state their point is correct, and then go and turn around and say it would not work because its just a game.

Like you get mad because zombies are supposed to be dumb and its just not realistic they would know where you are, then we can say the idea of farming being safe would not work because MUH REALISM.

I was just trying to throw people a bone in this debate. Personally i love the way it is now. And farming is STILL too easy. Prove me wrong.

Lol mate ya know what I am gonna say lol... always mod capabilities lol. You know that just as good as I. And i wasnt having a go at ya just my point. Realism is ok in some aspects and as for zombies it really is how one perceives them to be. I believe they should be dumb others believe the way they are. I don't like how tfp have em so I have modded them to be dumb as per my game play.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not how radiation works.

Jax's plan has merit because as he said, he's properly preparing the garden and starting from seed, so even the ecoli argument could be made moot since farming is dictated by perks, i.e. skill.

Ummm go to Chernobyl and plant some crops and come back tell me your ok lol :-P

- - - Updated - - -

TFP is clearly helping to reduce the number of bullies. We do our part make no mistake!

Hahahaha lol

Wait, does Flurry of Blows actually improve ALL melee speed, including tools and heavy weapons? The description just mentions stuff like clubs and knives. If so that's a must-buy perk.

No. Flurry of Blows *only* affects the following weapons:

-Bone knife, hunting knife, machete

-wooden club, iron club, baseball bat, stun baton

-leather knuckles, iron knuckles, Steel kunckles

It doesnt affect tools (it did in the past though).

Again verified in B143. So definitely not a must have perk.

Exactly. That's exactly where I am at. My thoughts where what's the point of having a primitive bow or spear if you only need them for just a few moments? We have all this primitive tech and mechanics in the game, but we don't utilize it for gameplay purposes.

Drop loot % down, you will enjoy it much more. To increase the challenge nowdays I actually impose a 'no crafting' challenge upon myself with every game. (sadly though, it lays bare the gaping flaws in the entire quest system as it currently stands, making cash income and anything associated with cash a cakewalk.)

Aside from that though, I think it currently provides the best early game stretch that the game has to offer so far. When else do you ever find yourself using a club with a grave digger mod attached to it, purely to dig up buried stashes because you cant find a shovel, or being excited to find a cache of oil to sell to the trader.

Using my char to appreciate next level resourcefulness, I find it difficult to play it any other way now.

Question for TFP: were barbed wire sheets removed? I must have missed that in the forum discussions. They're still in the creative menu, and used in POIs, but don't seem to be craftable. Only the free-standing barbed wire fences are craftable. I suspect they were too OP and went the way of log spikes?

Well I get catering towards the more casual player, because it's still a business and sales rule and I have zero problem with that, my concern is that a casual won't even reach day 35 because they're only playing 2 hours a week.

Beginner & casual are not the same thing at all.

Concerning the difficulty, a lot of people here should try higher difficulty levels et stop playing in default mode. Default mode is NOT for seasoned player.

Difficulty =/> warrior, zombie run or sprint at day, loot around 50 or 25%, z damages 300%, (no air drop, no loot respawn - sounds obvious), etc, etc... there is many ways to make the game challenging.

Who can honnestly say the game is easy when zombies are killing machines, when the guns and ammos are rare, when you lost everything each time you die ??

Any chance of getting attached storage for crafting stations? maybe as an upgrade or just plain QoL. It makes sense to have to gather stuff up, but after the millionth time it's just tedious.

Or modding function to address and manipulate the contents of a container. Modders can do it for ourselves :)

Oh and Yay!!! I have screamers now! Good work team!

New patch b143 improved what otherwise was already a smooth game for me...

Rocking between 60 - 80 fps now with all options maxed with exception of,

DOF : OFF

RES : Window 1768x992

Vsync : OFF

Motion Blur : OFF

Windows 10

GPU 1080ti

Ram 8gb

Continue to test and kill zombies..

25 up to 40 fps on ULTRA with my potato Radeon RX590 - 8GB -1920x1080 :02.47-tranquillity: I had sometimes less fps on a medium setting before.

With A18.0 this was unplayable, now it runs like on speed ^^

Nice!

Edit: This was still with AF set to 2x. Maybe i can now set the AF back to usual :-)

I love how people selectively choose when realism rules apply. Its quite humorous. Since anyone can use it whenever they wish to state their point is correct, and then go and turn around and say it would not work because its just a game.

Like you get mad because zombies are supposed to be dumb and its just not realistic they would know where you are, then we can say the idea of farming being safe would not work because MUH REALISM.

I was just trying to throw people a bone in this debate. Personally i love the way it is now. And farming is STILL too easy. Prove me wrong.

Not sure I disagree that it isn’t easy, it is just so slow that it removes the enjoyment of it. On day 14, I had several hundred meat, 15/20 cans, and many meals received from quests/looting. Far more than enough food to last 7-10 days without issue.

The high number of rotten flesh and nitrate powder per single farm plot, wood and soil don’t matter, make it a very slow process to build an enjoyable chunk of ground to farm... I don’t mind investing perk points in it, but the cost seems a bit high for something that is more “fun” than required.

Beginner & casual are not the same thing at all.

Concerning the difficulty, a lot of people here should try higher difficulty levels et stop playing in default mode. Default mode is NOT for seasoned player.

Difficulty =/> warrior, zombie run or sprint at day, loot around 50 or 25%, z damages 300%, (no air drop, no loot respawn - sounds obvious), etc, etc... there is many ways to make the game challenging.

Who can honnestly say the game is easy when zombies are killing machines, when the guns and ammos are rare, when you lost everything each time you die ??

Yeh but then you're not giving fair input on base vanilla settings, and I think that input is critical.

I feel like heavy armor and cooking should be swapped in their skill trees.

Heavy armor slows you down, and doing fist fighting makes you have to get a bit closer than club or sledge to connect, so going heavy armor really just seems to make you get hit more because you cant get in/out as needed and you take more damage than running around neked with a sledge. I think its a bit better suited for the slower attacks of the strength melee weapons where if you end up in a bad position it buys you some time for your slower attacks to decapitate everything.

With fists you want booze, to make that booze is a pretty deep trip into strength. You also get stuff like extra meat from harvesting, and the farming perks in fortitude, so having cooking in there as well just seems like a better flow than to have to dip into strength to actually turn those resources into something that has less of a chance to kill you from eating it.

Being a big strong person running around in cloth armor to avoid penalties, with a frying pan in hand (add this weapon please?) just doesn't feel as good as being a big strong person running around instead big tin can armor. And the fortitude tree really seems about natural healing and and natural damage resistance and...living off the land, where the big heavy armor on top of your naturally healthy and resilient self to also keep you safe seems out of place.

Armor perks don't do anything for armor rating though. You can be a strength guy and have just as good as armor rating as the fortitude guy but you won't move as fast. There are mods that improve movement penalties. Fortitude is all about staying alive or being tough, and heavy armor is a good fit. It could easily fit under strength but strength was super awesome anyway so under fortitude it went.

Some decent performance increases here..I'm still getting a few weird drops. But, it plays well enough on all computers to at least enjoy the game. Lowering\Disabling AF (which I did even before this patch) was the biggest increase for me.

For those still suffering to unplayable levels, and couldn't disable AF through your graphics control panel, don't forget to try the new AF console command for a possible large FPS boost.

Faatal and his team posted them here:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?111778-Alpha-18-Dev-Diary!!&p=1032210&viewfull=1#post1032210

Archived