Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Okay, I'm glad to get a better idea of your intentions on this. While in theory you only need one room, in the experience of many, no part of a POI is safe until all parts of a POI are safe. And it's not because of paranoia or ignoring stealth.

From what I've gathered, this is because as soon as you walk away, the game doesn't remember which sleepers were where: only how many are left. So when you return, the remaining sleepers are re-rolled and by random chance show up in your already cleared room. I believe a lot of users have misinterpreted this, to believe that sleepers repopulate almost instantly.

I've modded buckets to do this, and the problem is the whole stack is filled when you draw from a water source, even if filled buckets are set to not stack. It might take a code change to make this possible.

On a related note, I'd really like to see it fixed so that naturally occurring water blocks can actually be depleted. I've spent time making a very dry rwgmixer I think would be interesting to play. But when even a single block of water can be drawn from infinitely, the size of a body of water is irrelevant.

Move over, LBD squabbling. It's this kind of insight on development that I really appreciate you sharing with us.

Yeah the zombies move around after you leave. I don't know why anyone would expect them to stay in the same spot, in urban combat things change every few moments, the soldiers don't say "we cleared the living room last Tuesday so you shouldn't expect any resistance there.." lol.

I'd like to see a bit of zombies mulling around in houses too, not all of them sleeping.

Glad to give you insight. I think the new perk system will play much better in A18. All the new game play from lock picking to safe blowing, shooting out weak walls with a shotty for a quick escape, nerd guns, trap detection, full stealth, brawler, tank, etc, basically giving you guys a full suite of supported play styles to spec into without level gates should be awesome.

But aren't you playing 7DTD and not those games? They miss the genre doesn't mean Fun Pimp should do that too. I don't mind having trading in game at all, just that I don't feel it is needed, you can simply drop and pick and exchange item with player, and then you have Vending machines for it. what else do you really like for trading ?

Well, you talked about genre: "It is not a mass multiple player game, Trading is not part of this concept." so i reply with the same logic.

I just said that it doesn't have to be a MMO to have a decent trading system...that's why I took all those games as an example.

Sorry if this has been asked already.

In A18, will sleeper zombies have footstep sounds and moaning noises BEFORE attacking/being attacked? Or only after they have attacked/been attacked as it is currently? Or maybe it's a bug? Or is it intended that they are silent ninja's?

The only noises they make currently are the snorting noises before they wake up (which is literally audio directly in your ear and no directional), when they are attacking blocks, and when they fall down from the ceiling etc.

Example: Having a feral wight attacking from behind without any audio queue's is not fun :(

I don't know the design there 100%, but I think it was too easy and sounded like a tap dancing studio or something. I'll look into it.

Just wanna say, I know you don't have to give out info like that, but hearing the reasons why this or that happened is very helpful. Definitely helps understand the process. :)

Yeah I can't say thats 100% why we were late but it was a big part of it. It feels like if there are guys not ready other guys that were ready are adding more stuff and polishing and it just makes that date creep. We're trying to be more responsible now.

Really?

Heavy armor feels like moving in molasses. The movement penalty makes it mostly pointless. Have not had a chance to wear with all pieces equipped with advanced fittings yet though - hoping that helps a bit in my next play through.

For the protection you get? 90% damage resistance should come with some penalties. Kids these days want their resistance and haste runes at the same time. Go play skyrim and sprint in Heavy armor, you can run about 10 seconds and its significantly slower. Sure there is an OP perk that removes that penalty but Its a SP game so they can be OP and it isn't as big of an issue.

After playing 2 weeks with a dozen players who did'nt really know the game, I can tell you that they all loved it.

Among all their comments, three things seem important to me:

- We played without loot respawn. Many wondered why zombies reappear in POIs. Is it something that could be optional? There is a real sense of accomplishment when an entire area is cleaned up. There is really no point in zombies coming back ... except when a quest leads us into a POI where precisely we have to stop an invasion start.

- The features of the tools are not easy to understand (I am so used to this system that I never really questioned it): now I think that the wrench should only be used to disassemble stuff, not to improve blocks. The hammer and the nailer are ok for wood and metal, but for blocks of stone, brick or cement, wouldn't it be more obvious to have a trowel?

- Random hordes aren't gamestage related. At some level, they no longer pose any threat and are just XP deliveries ...

Thank you !

Thanks for the feedback.

Not gonna lie that looks badass. But how would a taser kill a zombie? There electric shock would have to be strong enough to fry the brain I guess. Well it is handmade so I guess I can get on board with that lol. Should require a battery. Maby require the taser in mainland and hold a battery in right? Or just have a battery in the taser?

I'm thinking you use up a whole car battery to craft it initially. Its not a firearm its a melee weapon so it cannot use ammo. We still need to finalize the design though.

Not gonna lie that looks badass. But how would a taser kill a zombie? There electric shock would have to be strong enough to fry the brain I guess. Well it is handmade so I guess I can get on board with that lol. Should require a battery. Maby require the taser in mainland and hold a battery in right? Or just have a battery in the taser?
I dont want to speak for Madmole, but I believe the idea is to stun lock the zombies with the taser and your deployable turret finishes them off.

I'm thinking you use up a whole car battery to craft it initially. Its not a firearm its a melee weapon so it cannot use ammo. We still need to finalize the design though.

Based on the design look you posted, you might want to think about an interim "small battery" (crafted from a whole car battery?) that is then in turn used to craft the taser itself (kind of like bellows for the forge). That design does not have a car-size battery as a power supply attached to it.

I dont want to speak for Madmole, but I believe the idea is to stun lock the zombies with the taser and your deployable turret finishes them off.

That would be a great combo, but I don't expect players will have these turrets early game, so the taser will be fairly effective on its own.

Are we going to see a noob-tier heavy armor at some point? I was thinking something like layers of cloth put on top of each other until you can barely walk.

Scrap iron is the bottom tier armor now for heavy and is ungated by any perks or books.

Based on the design look you posted, you might want to think about an interim "small battery" (crafted from a whole car battery?) that is then in turn used to craft the taser itself (kind of like bellows for the forge). That design does not have a car-size battery as a power supply attached to it.

I'm not a fan of making new items that serve only one purpose. Games are an abstraction, and I imagine the guy cut the battery apart and used portions he needed to make the thing.

Killing zombies is riskier but should the reward be greater xp? Isn’t the reward a cleared and safe area or loot that was guarded but is now available? If you are just out hunting zombies to farm xp that seems counter intuitive to survival unless it was a job assigned to you by the trader for a valuable reward. IMO, no xp reward simply for killing zombies is best. Xp for completing a mission to clear them yes. Otherwise the reward is removing them as an obstacle to your objective. Nerfing zombie loot was a good step. Now xp needs to follow.

So Roland there are arguments for both ways, you will have players who like to build and others who want to just kill. I don't want all my major XP to come from killing zombies and I like the questing. BUT (always a but) we need more questing and complex quest like do this to get this to make this to do next quest.

So Roland there are arguments for both ways, you will have players who like to build and others who want to just kill. I don't want all my major XP to come from killing zombies and I like the questing. BUT (always a but) we need more questing and complex quest like do this to get this to make this to do next quest.

I'm going to be doing some quests at some point and I would definitely want to make them multi stage and a little more in depth than the simple stuff we have now. I particularly loved the dead drop quests in Oblivion for the Dark Brotherhood. I'm hoping to be able to combine all the quest types into some more elaborate quest chains, like steal some documents, learn x, now go find out who did what and have to kill/infiltrate to learn who that is, then a final assassination mission. Could be lock picking, getting past turrets, guards etc for those.

I'm going to be doing some quests at some point and I would definitely want to make them multi stage and a little more in depth than the simple stuff we have now. I particularly loved the dead drop quests in Oblivion for the Dark Brotherhood. I'm hoping to be able to combine all the quest types into some more elaborate quest chains, like steal some documents, learn x, now go find out who did what and have to kill/infiltrate to learn who that is, then a final assassination mission. Could be lock picking, getting past turrets, guards etc for those.

>Weeps tears of joy!<

I was thinking it would be great to have some AC or Heater added to the high-tier electrical stuff... it would give a sense of achievement to go through the apocalypse in a cozy, comfortable base where you don't have to worry about clothing anymore. Just set the temp and enjoy!

Any chance we'll see realistic roads in A18 RWG? Would love to be able to drive around on the roads without slamming into bizarre wedges and drops.

Would also love to see world blocks tweaked so they're seamless when you dig holes and place new blocks with alternate rotations... For example, digging a trench to place a base foundation. When you drop concrete blocks in the holes, you're left with a gap all around the base that you have to the cover up with more blocks. Would love it if those spaces filled themselves in.

Also-also, MORE MELEE WEAPONS!! So little love on the melee front.

Archived