Starterclasses for 7D2D

Royal Deluxe

I just want to discuss generally what you think about starterclasses in 7D2D (no matter if vanilla or in a mod)

I just start with a idea, and you can post own ideas or discuss allready given ideas.

Junkdealer

---------------

Starts with

* Wrench

* Shotgun

* Sledgehammer

Set of Scrap armor

* Jeans

* Tshirt

* Mininghelmet

10 Cans of food

2 Beer

5 points in salvage Operations

2 points in S-Trex

I think starting with a sledge, shotgun, scrap armor and mininghelmet is too OP to be fair.

Also 10 cans of food (why, as a junkdealer?) and 7 skill point is too much for a fresh spawn.

Also i would call the "starterclasses" to "before apocalypse jobs"

And call it mechanic then in stead of Junkdealer.

But also jobs like;

Cook

---------------

* Knife

* Chef's Hat (new item)

* 10 raw meat

* 2 skills in cooking

Hobo

---------------

* Nothing

Salesman

---------------

* Sales uniform (new item)

* 500 old cash

* 1 skill point in better barter, The Daring Adventurer and Charismatic Nature

Lumberjack

---------------

* Checkered shirt (new item)

* Iron fireaxe

* 1 skill point in Miner 69'er and Mother Lode

Miner

---------------

* Safety vest (new item)

* Iron pickaxe

* 1 skill point in Miner 69'er and Mother Lode

Boxer

---------------

* Boxing gloves (new item)

* 1 skill point in Skull Chrusher, Pain tolerance and light armor

Mechanic

---------------

* Wrench

* Overall (new item)

* Bicyle crafting unlocked on start

* 1 skill point in Hammer and Forge and Advanced Engineering

Doctor

---------------

* Doctor's face mask (new item)

* First aid kit + 5 first aid bandages

* Syringe + Blood bag

* 1 skill point in Physician and Healing Factor

Farmer

---------------

* Straw hat (new item)

* Iron hoe

* 1 skill point in Well Insulated and Living Off The Land

Soldier

---------------

* Pistol + 1 extra magazine of ammo

* Military helmet

* 1 skill point in Boom! Headshot! and Run and Gun

Weren't we supposed to get classes with a17? I seem to recall this being part of the roadmap. The whole world supposedly has amnesia but hasn't forgotten basic skills so classes could possibly still make sense. Hmm...

Yeah, I like this idea. Optional classes would start you with a couple basic items that you could easily find anyway within a couple hours of playing (well, except for the bloody hoe!), a free job-related perk and a few points already in a skill. Those who opt for a free-form origin instead could start with a few points to put wherever they like and maybe a special perk like "Jack of All Trades" that grants you a little XP bonus on everything for the first few levels.

RE: ieJen's list: I suspect everyone would take Lumberjack. Iron axe and points in resource harvesting? That's a no-brainer to me.

Could be, but there al always people that want to chose a class that is just basic :fat:

Very true. Maybe the character without skills or stuff could be a 'recently mugged rich kid'.

Just kidding of course.

RE: ieJen's list: I suspect everyone would take Lumberjack. Iron axe and points in resource harvesting? That's a no-brainer to me.

I would definitely go for 'cook', seeing as without 2 skills in cooking you can't even make bacon and eggs. And, I feel like you need bacon & eggs, unless you are happy wasting 4 raw meat portions on the charred meat option.

10 or 20 skill points given at the beginning of the game would be enough.

Then each player could create himself a "starting class".

Of course, this can be changed in the quest.xml file in 20 seconds but many players don't want to hear about xml...

I think if it was an optional parameter, a lot of people would be happy. I like difficult progression, so I wouldn't choose this option, or maybe with very hardcore settings, but this would allow casual players or builders to start with a solid character and the forum would be way quieter.

The thread allready helped me to make my point of view more objective. Looks like there are 2 "tiers" of startchars

* The weaker ones as lejen suggested good as suggestion for the basegame and mods

* Stronger ones for mods that allow to more or less skip startgame and start a specialized midgame at day 1

I think there should always be counters for each specialization, that way makes your spec less op and forces you to give a little thought to what you are picking depending on your play style or objectives for that playthrough

in 99% of the games i would agree.

But the character is allready so hard disabled the next counter would be spawning death ;)

We like starter classes, its one of the main reasons we all love Valmod. War of the Walkers had a tonne of them, too many and it gave them all to you which became a nightmare when trying to figure which ones where for which class...

I'd like different 'new names' and more adjusted to 'todays standard' and not liking mma since those people have specifically trained for such as opposed to what I'd like as "ordinary" people or general titles.... As for the classes I'd like to see things as a thief (maybe Recon? in addition to using stealth to steal things? Maybe class specific binoculars), Grunt (mele combat specific - not really liking the mma thing; can make all armor and weapons), Ranger (as in old school ranger that roams the woods, uses bow(s), etc.), Medical Doctor? (secondary action with medical stuff to heal others! Chem station supplies that applies to healing. OH Valmod had darts that could heal or infect others, maybe up the firing rate so they could 'inject' others at range with them to heal them lol), Construction Worker (as opposed to those you see in game lol that builds anything), Factory Worker (not sure what name but a specific production type that works with the forges, workbench, etc.), Chef (line cook?) that cooks (add chem station recipes?)... The items any class can produce say for instance the bow - and a ranger making them is that the ranger can make the 'best bows' whereas a grunt can make them but not as good quality and/or mod slots? Along those lines like an MD can cook but definitely not as good as a Chef... Or vise-versa where a Chef can make some medical things but not as good as an MD... Also the special classes can reach max sooner than any other class. Also along the lines of the last example of Chef & MD - the MD reaches max healing faster than Chef and anyone else, but the Chef can reach max before all others. Like MD is 'tier 1' and Chef is 'tier 2' whereas anyone else is 'tier 3.' So Tier 1 reaches max the fastest, tier 2 reaches max the second fastest and tier 3 'takes the longest.' This would help with say like a group in MP that doesn't have enough players to cover all bases can get most covered...

As for their equipment:

Everyone should get:

Basic clothing beyond the initial quests... Quest reward for reaching the traitor?

Basic foods to last a little bit like 10 cans of food, 10 cans/bottles of water; bone shiv.

Thief/Recon: Specializes in knifes/blades - stealth and sneak attacks his their thing maybe 1 or two points for both. He is also good at surveillance and therefor the binoculars:

They get shoes that help with noise? Start with machete and bow. Starts with a 'spy glass' - better than weapon sight of 4x? Whereas binoculars are 16x? Only class that can make them at max tier but once reached can add them to weapons as a 'recon weapon sight.'

Grunt: They can make leather armor and iron weapons from the start, some points in mele weapons... Leather armor and iron club?

Ranger: Compound bow, hunting knife gets point in stealth, leather armor, bow damage. Will be able to make compound bows after a few points spent? Starts with more 'food recovery' than normal. Able to make repeating xbow at max tier.

MD: One or two med kits, starts with medical bandages, able to make all simple medical remedies. Points in medical, healing. Able to craft beaker from start.

Construction worker: Mining helmet, hammer. able to make rebar from scrap iron? Able to make workbench from start.

Factory worker: able to make forge from start, able to make workbench after a few points, then after a few more able to make a chem station?

Chef: Cooking pot, grill machete, able to make bacon & eggs from start.

in 99% of the games i would agree.

But the character is allready so hard disabled the next counter would be spawning death ;)

Well in real life we have something called sudden death syndrome so it wouldn't be too unreal, just remove the 7 from the title 😛

10 or 20 skill points given at the beginning of the game would be enough.

Then each player could create himself a "starting class".

Of course, this can be changed in the quest.xml file in 20 seconds but many players don't want to hear about xml...

I think if it was an optional parameter, a lot of people would be happy. I like difficult progression, so I wouldn't choose this option, or maybe with very hardcore settings, but this would allow casual players or builders to start with a solid character and the forum would be way quieter.

no idea how to do xml stuff here, i wish they would just take alot of those "easy" xml changes and add them as ingame options for starting a game

no idea how to do xml stuff here, i wish they would just take alot of those "easy" xml changes and add them as ingame options for starting a game

install my mod

Keep only the modletfolders you like

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?103985-Vanilla-modlet-collection

I tried to stay so near to vanilla as possible

Its really only Download -> extract rar -> place mod folder in 7D2D main folder

My friend and I made "classes" by taking 30 seconds and changing the skill points from the starting quest in the Quests.xml file (right up near the top) from 4 to either 12 or 20 (depending on if we want to be somewhat competent, or decently competent at what we choose at the start...

Like if i want my character to know right off that those little yellow things on an ear of corn can be put in the ground to make MORE corn! Or that it is, in fact possible, to mix eggs and meat in the same meal. Or maybe i can have led something other than a completely sedentary life and not be completely winded unable to move my arms after jogging 50m or whacking something with a bat 4 times.

Starting items thrown into a player choice would be really cool though, and the potential for unique, class-only benefits would be awesome...maybe something like a Hot-Rodder, whose motorized vehicles go an extra 2M per second.

lejen, those are really good, well-balanced starter classes. Been thinking on that a lot? Make a mod for it if TFP doesn't use it. Seriously.

Thanks man!

Yeah I thought about it for a minute of 10~20 haha.

It's something I would like to see in the gamer, the sooner the better!

Would go for me Miner myself :apathy:

I just want to discuss generally what you think about starterclasses in 7D2D (no matter if vanilla or in a mod)

I just start with a idea, and you can post own ideas or discuss allready given ideas.

Junkdealer

---------------

Starts with

* Wrench

* Shotgun

* Sledgehammer

Set of Scrap armor

* Jeans

* Tshirt

* Mininghelmet

10 Cans of food

2 Beer

5 points in salvage Operations

2 points in S-Trex

I would immediately unequipp the scrap armor because all armor destroys your stamina gain and reduces your max speed.

I would immediately unequipp the scrap armor because all armor destroys your stamina gain and reduces your max speed.

Well i work this moment on the startclasses for my mod, and throwing things away i see as a important part of this.

(inclusive trowing away the Box you get at startgame you need to get your startstuff)

I would not wear scrap armor too. But if you sell it at the trader you get at least a nice meal for it ^^

Armor is a problem early game, but I haven't found it to be so later. While looting a house, I unthinkingly put on a piece of iron chest armor and iron leg armor (to empty some slots in my backpack). I kept playing for a few in-game days. My friend started to talk about not having armor, and that's when I noticed that I had been wearing some. I had no idea, and I had had no moments of wondering why my stamina was so wonky. Everything seemed fine. (Honestly, that's how little I pay attention to my stamina.)

You can also do the console command giveselfxp followed by how many experience points you'd like. Going a 1000 or so at a time can keep it under control. Then open up the creative menu and give yourself the gear you like. I do this sometimes to create starter classes.

As mentioned in some previous posts, there were some great mods that had starter classes. I think it would be a great addition to the game. Until then, I'll make my own when I like to.

As for XML stuff, it's super easy and also easy to fix if you break it.

Archived