Need more zombies...

Ghostlight

I know wandering hordes are nerfed now - or perhaps tied to gamestage and no longer balanced well? Either way, the wandering hordes we do get are too few and far between and too small and pathetic. Day 32 (gamestage 250) and our last one was 9 grunts. Yay?

I know the nerf was needed for the early game to avoid unlucky hordes like the 6 to 12 zombie dogs, but it's been nerfed too hard by far.

We just need more zombies in the wild basically. About 10x more imo.

I'd always assumed the dogs were a special horde type. I've seen hordes of all one zombie type, or all female hordes...but I'd think they could allow the standard horde to have the old numbers. Nothing anyone can't avoid unless you get the rare instance of being trapped in a POI while trying to open a safe with a stone ax or something ;)

-Morloc

The number of zombies at each structure and POI has been increased significantly in 17 as well as any fighting in an area drawing in far more nearby zombies than in 16. Setting up the environment so that there are entire biomes or certain POIs where greater numbers zombies and wandering hordes congregate or pass by would be far superior to simply upping the zombie population uniformly. That way larger groups of players or individuals seeking a higher concentration of zombies could intentionally locate near those areas.

Yeah, what Mhyth said. Last time I played I was faced with about 15-20 zombies inside a large POI, and the fighting attracted a medium wandering horde inside. THen more showed up. Was freaking fighting for an entire in-game day LOL. But I do agree, wandering hordes at the base have been small. Some are large though *shrug*

Rng?

In my new game, I twice have aggro'd a dozen zombies after entering a building. That's in addition to the ones inside it. I'm on Day 2.

As it stands in this game, I would be happy with fewer zombies. They are impeding me as I try to establish a base! (I don't actually mind. That's part of the challenge of the game.)

I know wandering hordes are nerfed now - or perhaps tied to gamestage and no longer balanced well? Either way, the wandering hordes we do get are too few and far between and too small and pathetic. Day 32 (gamestage 250) and our last one was 9 grunts. Yay?

If you take a look in the gamestages.xml file you will see that wandering hordes wrap around at gamestage 50. That means a wandering horde on gamestage 50 is the same as on gamestage 250.

JaxTeller718 created a little modlet to increase the size of the wandering horde:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?100056-Can-we-fix-wandering-hordes&p=904737&viewfull=1#post904737

This modlet will rise the max numbers of zombies in a wandering horde up to 34 zombies but more zombies can also mean more lag.

If you take a look in the gamestages.xml file you will see that wandering hordes wrap around at gamestage 50. That means a wandering horde on gamestage 50 is the same as on gamestage 250..

I thought that only determined composition (so 50 different horde types), and absolute gamestage would now determine size. So let's say GS 25 and GS 75 would both give a Dog horde (for example) but gamestage would still determine the number of dogs. So there'd be more dogs at GS 75.

Just to make a wee update on this. I am now on day 50, level 120, gamestage 300.

Wandering hordes are still useless. A dozen grunt zombies.

Something needs to be done. Is there a setting I can hit to up the zombie count as the game is an utter bore-fest now outside of horde night?

Something needs to be done. Is there a setting I can hit to up the zombie count as the game is an utter bore-fest now outside of horde night?

You could install the modlet from JaxTeller718:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vaxLuEzfyyZS3Nn-ypCveJ1bCCbLvh6u/view?usp=sharing

It increases the size of the wandering horde. If you still think that the numbers are to low you could try to increase the numbers further but this could also cause lag issues.

Another possibility would be to replace the wandering horde groups with your own groups. For example you could replace every zombie in the groupsdefinition with his feral counterpart or even with the radioactive counterpart.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?100056-Can-we-fix-wandering-hordes&p=904737&viewfull=1#post904737

This modlet will rise the max numbers of zombies in a wandering horde up to 34 zombies but more zombies can also mean more lag.

Yeah that's a good point.

Right now perhaps TFP are keeping Wandering Hordes smaller while they optimize stuff.

Larger hordes are fun but if you're downtown it's going to drop your frame rate a lot.

Use at your own risk.

PS: Good Modlet.

Yes I miss larger hordes, and more zombies in the wild in general... Everything is soo peaceful now... soo safe... cept for poi's.

In my current game I am living in the wasteland, just to try and make the game more exciting or difficult. Couple days in, I have seen a few dogs and bears and vultures, but hoping it gets even harder.

Archived