Why fixing exploits (aka digging and now looping zombies) is a good thing

Viktoriusiii

The main issue is PVE servers where players can glitch zombies into attacking someone else’s base and ignoring the claim buffs. It’s not very hard to trap zombies in a hole and just kite them under another’s base.

I don’t think there is an easy solution other than completely disable digging as an option.

The main issue is PVE servers where players can glitch zombies into attacking someone else’s base and ignoring the claim buffs. It’s not very hard to trap zombies in a hole and just kite them under another’s base.

I don’t think there is an easy solution other than completely disable digging as an option.

Another solution is to prepare your base in case someone does this.

Is that possible ?

You go to next poi, or wait near base for a wandering horde.

Walk with them to the base. And then you climb the base (Didnt test how far you can jump with a motorcycle in A17, but in A16 you could jump 21 Blocks far into a base if i remember right)

Then wait on top of the base until it is gone

If you played PVE you would understand. This is a major issue for people that can’t login all day everyday. By the time someone has wrecked your base then you will just quit the server.

If you played PVE you would understand. This is a major issue for people that can’t login all day everyday. By the time someone has wrecked your base then you will just quit the server.

I think of Factions in Minecraft. Wrecking a base is the whole point. If you don't want a base wrecked, you either find crazy ways to defend it, or you build somewhere hidden. I know there are LCB issues that make this kind of thing very hard to do right now, but we should assume that they will be resolved.

That’s PVP. You clearly don’t play PVE servers at all and if you do I hope you get banned.

If that's the case, then the people luring the zombies should get banned. I'm just saying, that if people were doing this on a server, I would find a way to handle it... and I would probably retaliate... and then get banned. Which I wouldn't mind because why the hell am I playing here anyway.

Two alternative options...

1) Zombies that dig, but do not leave holes. This would solve a lot of problems. Sure it'd look a bit cheesy as they dropped from your underground base's ceiling, but try to envision what a cheerleader zombie would actually look like excavating a 40 meter shaft into your base before plopping out of the hole. Seriously....even with crazy special effects, I just can't picture it...immersion destroyed.

For reference, the reality is that if you gave a cheerleader zombie hydraulic-like strength, she'd rip and tear into the dirt/gravel/ and err...stone (let's pretend), and sink into the loosened material. She'd have a bitch of a time "digging" and sinking once covered, but let's say she persevered. She'd continue downward, but there'd only be the circle of loose dirt where she began on the surface...no hole.*

2) Any holes dug by zombies during the Bloodmoon are "reset" after noon (the loose dirt, etc. has all collapsed back in on itself). This allows for the full horror of seeing your defenses being breached as well as surveying the damage in the morning, but conservation of mass is observed in the end. This would be like what we see with destroyed POIs in A17 regenerated by a quest.

*For legal purposes, I will affirm that I've never thrown a cheerleader into a dirt/gravel/stone shaft with digging implements to test any of this.

-Morloc

Yeah these ideas makes complete sense

Why not have blocks replaced with gravel or dirt or destroyed stone or something?

Better that than all these damn holes.

I know it's not realistic but so what.

I guess that's a solution. Ban players on PVE servers who use glitch mechanics to grief other players.

By the time anyone knows what is going on, someones base is wrecked and you can't fix it easily. Thats the point of preventing player grieving by disallowing zombie digging. I back up my server every day so its not a big deal to reset the whole save, but there shouldn't be a need for that because of zombie digging exploits.

Its a bug/exploit/glitch whatever you want to call it. It is not the intended behavior for PVE friendly communities and certainly not something admins for servers should have to deal with, ever.

This will be abused by many in pvp. Just ask a friend to place the claim who does not play at all.

That’s why it needs to be an option. This is only for PVE stuff.

Hardcore PVP needs a different set of exploit preventions like dup glitches etc. getting your base wrecked in pvp should always happen. I don’t care if zeds can dig in pvp servers lol

The digging zombie wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have super hearing and can somehow hear me from 20 blocks below the surface. IMO once sound passes thru 4 blocks it should be virtually undetectable unless the zombie is right above you if your just opening containers/digging with a shovel, if your mining you need 6-8 blocks, and if your using an auger, you need to be about 15-20 blocks down for them not to hear it. The reason for the digging was in A16 you could be in a hole 3-6 blocks deep or so and be immune to any zombies. It was not meant for them to be able to find you at bedrock I don't think.

This will be abused by many in pvp. Just ask a friend to place the claim who does not play at all.

Is the concern permanent zombie immunity to your base? Isnt there already mechanics that dont allow you to place claim blocks near each other? Also, isnt the main threat on a pvp server other players and not the zombies? Perhaps with the right tweaking it could work.

Is the concern permanent zombie immunity to your base? Isnt there already mechanics that dont allow you to place claim blocks near each other? Also, isnt the main threat on a pvp server other players and not the zombies? Perhaps with the right tweaking it could work.

The OP doesn’t understand that this discussion is about PVE servers...

I am an undergound base guy. I not only live underground, but i also tunnel at bedrock to all the traders and other locations of interest.

I enjoy the digging zombies. they force me to not hide during horde night.

Tunnel breeches are a fun and exciting night time event. while rare they do happen, and require steps to mitigate the damage. As an underground person, i do enjoy this change, and it is not affecting my play style at all. the zombies are not here for experience farming, they are here to harass you.

So u can stand on a 2 blocks tall pillar and bash zombies on the head 24/7 ? i mean please change the claims so they work that way i would love it :)

You don’t need a pillar to farm zombies. You don’t need anything but fire to call screamers.

What you are saying doesn’t make farming zombies any easier. That’s not the point of any of this. It’s to prevent griefing on public servers.

Archived