Improvements for the dedicated server

Alloc

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong :crushed: ...

I've setup the browser map before on many installations on my private server. I'm running Ravenhearst mod, and I have Alloc's fixes and ServerTools in place as well. I am behind a double-NAT only because CenturyLink's gateway is crap and can't handle my network of devices, so I have my router behind their gateway. I have several other services running through the double-NAT and they works just fine; I just forward the needed port in their gateway to my router's IP, then in my router I point it to my server's internal IP.

I can browse to http://<server's internal IP>:8082/static/index.html and pull up the browser map fine. Everything works great! I have most of the permissions set to '2000' level so everyone can see most of the map information without having to login to Steam. When I go to http://<my public IP>:8082 it doesn't pull up. I don't think it's a port forwarding issue. I have 26900 - 26902 UDP/TCP open for the server to appear on the server browser, and 8082 for the browser map. The Command Console it also set to 8080, so I know 8082 is the right port to forward. I even went to canyouseeme.org and it says it sees my service on port 8082.

I'm stumped!!

This is what I get when I try the public address in Chrome. I think that's just a generic "can't find the page" message.

================

This site can’t be reached

<my public IP> refused to connect.

Search Google for <my public IP> 8082 static index

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Edited by ScubaSteve (see edit history)

Make sure Windows firewall and/or other software firewalls are set up as well.

^ This. When first setting up a dev server on an old desktop and portforwarding the crap out of it all with no succes, it was as simple as windows firewall blocking the traffic. Gave me headaches back then.

Cheers

Okey by me. Im not the one being stumped :D

Cheers

I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but it was kind of a "let me google that for you" assist. I looked at the site. Most are related to web hosting provider issues, but I'm not running Apachy or any web hosting services, and it's not a DNS issue. I also checked my hosts file and it's clean.

How are you doing the double nat? Sounds like something isnt configured correctly there.

have you checked the router logs or done any traces?

what is your lan router model?

Are you on an external network when you try to view the map via external ip? most routers dont handle doublebacks on the same ip well when doing nat (you are coming from the wrong direction for the nat to work, because it maps from the external port to the internal)

Could it be as simple as not having your home machine access setup through your DMZ? I had that before.

when you say you can see http://serverip:port but not publicIP:port I found that was the issue.

maybe doing a trace route from public to see where it times out.

worse case call my wife, she is a veteran network administrator who wrote the book on TCP/IP (search for Kelli Adam and TCP/IP on Amazon) but she will charge you $100s in starbucks gift cards for 5 minutes of work :)

How are you doing the double nat? Sounds like something isnt configured correctly there.

have you checked the router logs or done any traces?

what is your lan router model?

Are you on an external network when you try to view the map via external ip? most routers dont handle doublebacks on the same ip well when doing nat (you are coming from the wrong direction for the nat to work, because it maps from the external port to the internal)

I have a piss-poor CenturyLink Technicolor C2100T as the main gateway that's only handling two IPTV boxes, then an ASUS RT-AC66W as the main router handling all the wireless and wired connections for the rest of the network. Previously, I had bridged the C2100T and used my Asus as the main router, but then the IPTVs stopped working after a while. CenturyLink came out and replaced the gateway but said it was going to happen again eventually. I still tried to bridge the new gateway and the ♥♥♥♥ty hardware would not allow it to happen so I left it alone and went with double-NAT :'(

When I access the browser map internally (when it works) both my gaming rig and the server are hooked up to the Asus router getting 192.168.1.x IPs. I have them on the same Trendnet 5-port switch in the same room. I've also tried power-cycling both the gateway and the router a few times to make sure they didn't need a reboot the put the changes into effect. I know that for the C2100T even thought you apply the changes it requires a reboot for them to go into effect.

I have several other services on the same server being hosted and accessible externally just fine: Plex, FTP, 7D2D, and more. My friends can login to 7D2D just fine and we have put in many hours, we just can't get to the browser map (externally).

- - - Updated - - -

Could it be as simple as not having your home machine access setup through your DMZ? I had that before.

when you say you can see http://serverip:port but not publicIP:port I found that was the issue.

maybe doing a trace route from public to see where it times out.

worse case call my wife, she is a veteran network administrator who wrote the book on TCP/IP (search for Kelli Adam and TCP/IP on Amazon) but she will charge you $100s in starbucks gift cards for 5 minutes of work :)

Sorry, but I am absolutely not going to setup a DMZ to my server. That's a bad security strategy. I sure hope your wife doesn't find out you're using DMZ :tickled_pink: Not that I have anything to hide, but there are plenty of malicious buffoons out there looking to just make a mess of peoples' lives.

My guess is this has something to do with my double-NAT and limitations of the web browser, but I don't understand why and wanted to make sure I've done everything I could.

Edited by ScubaSteve (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
As long as you use the exe and not the patched Assembly-CSharp it should be fine. If you want to use DerPopo's Assembly-CSharp you have to apply my patches manually.

plase help me how i put them in manually i dont know how plase help me

Developed an issue recently. I did not notice until last night when I put up a clean server that when attempting to view the web map it’s fine until I try to log in.

After making the attempt to log in through Steam it simply returns “login failed”. Now the one server is newly installed but the other has been working along fine. I am admin on both servers so that shouldn’t be the issue. What file to I need to check to see what’s going on? Is this on steam only where the issue lies? What can I post to help determine the issue?

http://23.95.82.66:8282/static/index.html Is one of the ip’s. Does this seem likely to be a port issue maybe?

Developed an issue recently. I did not notice until last night when I put up a clean server that when attempting to view the web map it’s fine until I try to log in.

After making the attempt to log in through Steam it simply returns “login failed”. Now the one server is newly installed but the other has been working along fine. I am admin on both servers so that shouldn’t be the issue. What file to I need to check to see what’s going on? Is this on steam only where the issue lies? What can I post to help determine the issue?

http://23.95.82.66:8282/static/index.html Is one of the ip’s. Does this seem likely to be a port issue maybe?

I'm getting the same error last night, continues today...maybe a change on Steams end, as nothing changed on my server side.

I'm getting the same error last night, continues today...maybe a change on Steams end, as nothing changed on my server side.

Sounds like it if there’s more of us then. Thank you for the response. Wonder if it’s an api change again but guess we wait and see.

edit: turned out not to be the issue.

Well, even though at first it looked like it was not it seems like it was the issue. I won't be surprised if this breaks again soonish though, looks like Valve is making some backend changes these days.

Yeah, something on Steam's OpenID provider must have changed, will have to check. Unfortunately not much time today, could take til tomorrow afternoon (like 28h maybe).

Not an issue for me at least. I just automatically assumed I blew something up as I do frequently. :smile-new:

Well, even though at first it looked like it was not it seems like it was the issue. I won't be surprised if this breaks again soonish though, looks like Valve is making some backend changes these days.

We have this issue also.

Telnet says steam returns an invalid Steam OpenID

Webmap unusable. We did nothing since yesterday when it worked except restarting the gameserver.

Thx for looking into it!

Edit: Is this the issue maybe?

Edited by NakedSwede (see edit history)

plase help me how i put them in manually i dont know how plase help me

No idea what you're even talking about ;)

We have this issue also.

Telnet says steam returns an invalid Steam OpenID

Webmap unusable. We did nothing since yesterday when it worked except restarting the gameserver.

Thx for looking into it!

Should've been more precise in my previous post I suppose :)

Released an update that fixed it (for now, until Valve decides to do another change without announcing it).

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the issue of not being able to log in using steam, checked the update and saw you fixed it, installed the updated version, but still I can't log in, didn't help =/

That Valve.... suddenly decides to screw people up with how their information is perceived online....

Just had the issue of not being able to log in using steam, checked the update and saw you fixed it, installed the updated version, but still I can't log in, didn't help =/

That Valve.... suddenly decides to screw people up with how their information is perceived online....

I just tested it, its still working.

I just tested it, its still working.

Then what am I doing wrong? =/

Just connected to my Telenet and here's what the console said:

WRN Steam OpenID login result did not give a valid SteamID

I downloaded the server files from this link: http://illy.bz/fi/7dtd/server_fixes.tar.gz

I also tried this version: http://illy.bz/fi/7dtd/server_fixes_v14_17_24.tar.gz didn't help, same issue. (I did reboot the server after uploading the new files before trying)

My steam profile link: https://steamcommunity.com/id/voldzito/

My server map: http://176.57.153.46:8102/static/index.html

Is it because my steam profile uses a custom url with "voldzito" and not steam 64 id?

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)