Performance

DaVegaNL

Btw, I tried all the different renderers.

DirectX 11 runs borderline okay-ish outdoors with 40-50FPS, but sags to about 20-30FPS around POIs.

GLCore runs poorly overall with FPS hovering around 25-35, but seems that POIs only have a negligible impact of about 5 FPS.

Vulkan runs great with about 50 indoors and 60+ outdoors but as others have stated, the textures are mostly pink. :D

I also tried playing with the FOV, you can change it on the fly in-game with the command:

sg OptionsFieldofViewNew xx

Default value is 65.

I saw no FPS impact going from 65 to 95, seems that there is something going on with the rendering. When going below 65, FPS performance actually seems to take a slight hit for some reason.

Anyone found a way to disable bloom / HDR yet?

Small update of sorts. After lowering my resolution from native 1920x1080 to 1366 x768, game went back to stable 60-50 fps with almost the highest settings available, aside from reflections and trees being on mid/high respectively.

I can say there's definitely something fishy going on with the rendering. I'd also love to hear from people running 7dtd on Radeons for some reasonable comparison. After Nvidia's latest crap release of 20xx and intentionally downgrading the 10xx driver performance, it's hard to believe in their credibility, least have any sort of a clear image how things run on their gpus, especially with the latest drivers.

Interesting tidbit:

Latest 7dtd build finally supports anisotropic filtering (unlike 16.4), but there are no options available ingame. It's worth enabling through drivers, as it drastically improves the horizontal texture quality, along with their "crispness" over large distances, removing that ugly blur they get. Game had never looked as pretty as it does now :- )

* bump *

I am bumping this thread not because I wish to add more information, more that I think the most pressing issue with the current experimental build (and yes, I know, it is only experimental) is the inability to play it due to the frame rate issue.

I am unsure if the devs frequent this area of the forum, and I am sure they are well aware of the issue (amongst other things) but I would like to keep this thread on the front page as a reminder that for some this is the most key game breaking issue out there.

Bump. ^^^

Since updating to A17 it is my opinion the game looks worse. Not sure if it's the lighting or the textures, but it looks pretty terrible in all honesty. I'll probably take some screenshots to illustrate later.

Performance is also down; Intel i5 and a GTX 970 and I am barely getting 25-30fps.

Since updating to A17 it is my opinion the game looks worse. Not sure if it's the lighting or the textures, but it looks pretty terrible in all honesty. I'll probably take some screenshots to illustrate later.

Performance is also down; Intel i5 and a GTX 970 and I am barely getting 25-30fps.

Check your gamma setting. The new default is 38, anything much higher will make the game look washed out.

I've heard others with a GTX970 run the game with fps above 60. If your resolution is above HD, dial that down. Else maybe delete your user preferences (or install your game in a newly created account on the same computer) and see if some old setting of A16 may be interfering. Just an idea, I don't know if it helps, but worth a try.

Hi all,

What's your performance of a17e compared with a16.4? I have a feeling it's worse, perhaps a reduction of 30% for fps.

I have an i7-6700k and GTX 1080 16GB of RAM. Performance is pretty good while walking through biomes. I get around 70-100 fps. But as soon as I go in a city like Diersville it drops to 30-60 fps. Averaging around 50. Performance really needs to be smoothed out in city's due to how much harder the houses are to clear out. Better performance helps land critical shots. Idk if this is possible, but it would be amazing if they could optimize it better for when you are in houses inside of cities. Even that would be a huge improvement.

Can anybody tell me what settings are needed / things i have to change to get a decent running of the game? Know almost nothing about computers but my specs are

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030

RAM 8.0 GB

Which are classed as above the recommended specs for the game [and had zero problems with a16 in terms of frame rates] but now on a17 im rarely going above 30fps [on the lowest possible settings, whereas before i was close to max] and as soon as more than 1 zombie enters the picture [or enter a poi] the frame rate can go anywhere between 5fps - 20fps.

Is this purely because experimental and i just need to wait for stable release or am i missing something my end or is my pc just no even able to run it on lowest settings anymore?

Is this purely because experimental and i just need to wait for stable release or am i missing something my end or is my pc just no even able to run it on lowest settings anymore?

Just sit tight for now, even people with 1080ti's are not able to enjoy a constant 60fps avg. This is purely a game issue and not because we are running the game on potatoes.

My friend has better fps on BF V running ray-tracing compared to the fps he is getting on 7dtd.

Just sit tight for now, even people with 1080ti's are not able to enjoy a constant 60fps avg. This is purely a game issue and not because we are running the game on potatoes.

I just find it really disheartening that the devs haven't even acknowledged that this is an issue.

My friend has better fps on BF V running ray-tracing compared to the fps he is getting on 7dtd.

Madmole posted this about an hour ago:

It varies from pc to pc. I'm just saying that the biggest win for a lot of people was lowering the resolution. We are working on optimizations and have a pretty nice one coming.

Let's see how it turns out. A16 experimental had some performance issues as well for me, but stable ran nicely. Hopefully the same case for this alpha. :)

I just find it really disheartening that the devs haven't even acknowledged that this is an issue.

Thank you that's all i really needed to know :) Happy to wait for a build that lets me play again rather than give up on it if it's not my end.

Madmole posted this about an hour ago:

Let's see how it turns out. A16 experimental had some performance issues as well for me, but stable ran nicely. Hopefully the same case for this alpha. :)

Thank you for sharing it here.

I edited my original post since clearly they know about the performance issue then.

I really want this game to be super awesome. It's the only game the wife and I play together.

Performance still sucks.... In 16,4 I had no proplem playing, now I cant even nerdpole cause of the lag. Guess you need to get a new gaming PC every year to keep up.

To make it blunt... Performance sucks domkey balls... Hope they fix this.

I get 27-55 fps, depending on where I am. Out in the desert or snow biomes, I get better frames. Forest biomes and POIs usually lower my fps to 27-34. I usually play co-op with my husband, but he can barely play the experimental version, even on the lowest settings. When we played a16, it ran fine. My rig: Win7, i7 3.50 GHz, GTX760, 12 GB RAM. Yes I know it's a potato ;-P

Did a bit more testing today, I turned off shadows and reflections, toned down view distance and water, and I can get the performance I was getting in A16(on higher settings) when I am in an open field. When I enter some of the new buildings and sometimes when I am hit by a zombie my FPS drops from 50-60 to 20-25.

win10, i7 6700k 4.0ghz, GTX960 4gb, 16gb ram, installed on samsung960 pro NVME drive.

I would estimate about a 30-40% reduction in fps. AMD 8350 8 core, 16 GB ram, 64 bit Win 7, 980GTX here.

The lighting is washed out and it tends to hurt my eyes. Didn't spend much time fiddling with it though to see if it was just the custom setting from A16.4 throwing it all off. Textures on buildings look very low res and uninteresting to me. I was very underwhelmed by the "beauty" that everyone else keeps talking about.

I'm running higher specs then you and I also experience noticable drop in performance, 30-40% would be a good estimate.

Adding my specs to the discussion 1080TI 7700k 850 EVO 16 GB of ram. I've had to drop textures down to half, no reflections trees at high as and drop my res down from native to get what I consider solid framerates. I've tried the last 3 sets of drivers from Nvidia with no luck on any of the recent versions. Indoors is pretty absymal I still get significant frame rate drops even in a very small room. Textures at higher resolutions could be the culprit. That or the new lighting. I do notice significantly better performance in the dark. Which leads me to believe it might be related to lighting the new textures in some way. Don't get me wrong I am loving the new update but I think some optimization work will definitely be needed.

Adding my specs to the discussion 1080TI 7700k 850 EVO 16 GB of ram. I've had to drop textures down to half, no reflections trees at high as and drop my res down from native to get what I consider solid framerates. I've tried the last 3 sets of drivers from Nvidia with no luck on any of the recent versions. Indoors is pretty absymal I still get significant frame rate drops even in a very small room. Textures at higher resolutions could be the culprit. That or the new lighting. I do notice significantly better performance in the dark. Which leads me to believe it might be related to lighting the new textures in some way. Don't get me wrong I am loving the new update but I think some optimization work will definitely be needed.

If 1080TI isn't enough then this alpha has some serious problems.

I dont get why some of people are so ignorant and blame us instead of admitting there are some problems that need to be fixed.

Even saying ''A17 has far better graphics than A16 what do you expect'' is ridiculous, yes graphics is better but not so good that even 1080TI is not good enough.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the feeling that performance in the nature is better than in A16, but it get's bad when I'm inside a building.

I absolutely agree with you.

FIRST DO THIS

If you are using an NVIDIA card go to your NVIDIA settings and Change all the quality settings to default. Also select the quality option.. Let 3D software decide the quality. Make sure 7DTD is not in the list of custom software settings.

If you are not using NVIDIA find your similar graphics settings on your card.

The Idea is to not let the card take over the graphics quality and let 7DTD take it over and decide what it wants to do. This ended any short freezes while traveling and now A17 is actually performing better than A16 for me.

FIRST DO THIS

If you are using an NVIDIA card go to your NVIDIA settings and Change all the quality settings to default. Also select the quality option.. Let 3D software decide the quality. Make sure 7DTD is not in the list of custom software settings.

If you are not using NVIDIA find your similar graphics settings on your card.

The Idea is to not let the card take over the graphics quality and let 7DTD take it over and decide what it wants to do. This ended any short freezes while traveling and now A17 is actually performing better than A16 for me.

Which nVidia settings are you referring to? The [nVidia Control Panel] > [Manage 3D Settings] ?

Here is a screenshot of global and game specific settings I have:

RdrDRjP.gif

I get random display adapter crashes through out play at random times. Even with graphics at the most minimal of settings, tiny ass box, with lowest settings on everything (just so I can get smooth enough fps that it doesnt stutter). Game can crash anywhere between a few minutes of playing to a couple of hours. Just pure random.

Archived