Performance

DaVegaNL

IT IS NOT THE HARDWARE YOU GUYS HAVE. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what you have.

I was watching GPU, CPU, and memory utilization while playing for 7 or so hours. Something in the software is slowing the engine down. I had no bottlenecks.

My specs:

i5 - 4690k

8gb DDR3 1860

GTX 1060 6GB

Now I had everything turned on(Ultra). My video ram was usually hovering around 5GB utilization. CPU usage was around half on all four cores. Memory utilization never got above 7GB. I'll have to double check, but when I would look down or go from outside to inside a building, my FPS would drop to around 20-30fps from 60-70. I don't recall seeing GPU utilization being capped.

Just a simple engine bug i'm sure the pimps are going to pop like a pimple.

I've been trying to figure out what is causing the performance hit inside buildings and I am beginning to think it may be due to alpha/z-buffer issues. I am not 100% by any means, but performance seems to go up when I replace blocks with a lot of transparency. I still have to do more testing to see if I am on to something.

I have the same issue with entering POI. Outside, FPS is about the same as 16.4 (~60+ fps), but it takes a drastic hit inside a basic poi like a cabin (<=30 fps). I've tried various settings, but nothing seems to have anything more than a 3-5 fps gain. Using GLcore versus DX11 may also help a little (1-2 fps), but I haven't had a chance to test it much.

Win10

i7 4790K

16GB RAM

gtx 1050ti

Here is a little table I made of FPS vs different video settings.

It seems that changing the resolution didn't have that great of an affect on the FPS when graphics settings are maxed.

When on low it had a major affect however. (No clue why though)

One major setting that improves close-to-POI fps is reflections, turning it off reduces the washed out look and grants more stability.

Removing shadows as well makes the game much more playable.

One might say that 30fps is still playable, not even close... It feels like the game has a constant micro stutter at that level and movement coupled with mouse aim becomes really awkward and makes close quarter combat basically impossible.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25399[/ATTACH]

Nice spreadsheet!!! I have had a similar experience fps wise.

i7 3820 @ 3.6

16 GB RAM

GTX 670

Same issues as have been reported here. Great stable frames outside that tank massively when entering even the most simple POI.

As Syndromo stated, I don't believe this is a hardware issue. Reducing resolution and running in GLcore has helped massively with POI lag, which let me turn the other settings such as textures and shadows back up to high and maintain a stable framerate indoors. Also as it's been stated I don't think the ingame options are doing what they are saying they are, AO shows indoors even when it's set to off and reflections might be too but I can't really verify.

@Laz Man, cheers! I like spreadsheets.

@Batman! Turning AO off doesn't turn it off indoors and turning reflections off changes the whole color scheme of the game on my end.

Enjoying the new release all things considered, really hoping that the pimps can fix these issues.

Here is a little table I made of FPS vs different video settings.

It seems that changing the resolution didn't have that great of an affect on the FPS when graphics settings are maxed.

When on low it had a major affect however. (No clue why though)

One major setting that improves close-to-POI fps is reflections, turning it off reduces the washed out look and grants more stability.

Removing shadows as well makes the game much more playable.

One might say that 30fps is still playable, not even close... It feels like the game has a constant micro stutter at that level and movement coupled with mouse aim becomes really awkward and makes close quarter combat basically impossible.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25399[/ATTACH]

This is awesome! Good information.

Got better performance then i ever did with A16 and it is alot more stable.

Started on a half burned/forest biome with a good mix of broken buildings and good POI.

My fps rarely drops below 40 fps in outskirts of town. Within town i get 30+ fps at minimum if im not inside a building.

On average i get around 60 fps.

The game looks soo much cleaner. Normally i turned everything off or minimum/low

except draw distance, tree quality and grass distance to far.

Textures are on Full Size, UMA Texture on Low.

Now i added Anti-aliasing, Sun Shafts and 40% Water Particles

I think it does help a bit when u backup your %appdata% save files and reinstall 7D2D. I also updated my GPU with latest driver.

Feels like im getting a lot more stability doing reinstall then just installing a17e. Tried that, did notice some difference.

Maybe that would help others too, try it.

My specs :

- I5 - 7500

- 8gb DDR4 2400

- Asus ROG RX 470

- No SSD (yet)

Im very pleased that memory leak is basically gone. Been awhile since i played vanilla A16 so i cant compare performance between vanilla a16 and a17, but on modded it always used up all my memory and accumilated all of my virtual memory till it crashes. Gonna upgrade to 16gb memory to make sure i can load it all.

Compared to a16, fps is generally lower. When in a POI, I take a pretty big hit. Even when I do have a little more than 60fps, it still feels bad. Whenever I move, I get microstutters. Jittering when moving is common in Unity games but this wasn't an issue in previous versions for me. There's still random drops as well.

Performance is pretty atrocious overall and considering it affects gameplay, especially combat, it's not very fun a lot of the time. I wish they would spend a month or two optimizing the game.

* bump *

I am bumping this thread not because I wish to add more information, more that I think the most pressing issue with the current experimental build (and yes, I know, it is only experimental) is the inability to play it due to the frame rate issue.

I am unsure if the devs frequent this area of the forum, and I am sure they are well aware of the issue (amongst other things) but I would like to keep this thread on the front page as a reminder that for some this is the most key game breaking issue out there.

For me the minimum/maximum FPS are a huge difference... I play with VSync but I switched it off to see what’s happening.

I get around 70+ FPS max but in some poi’s it drops to ~30 FPS.

I changed everything I could 1 after 1 video option but the FPS dropped by entering the house.

My GPU wasn’t fully loaded inside the poi. (~70%)

(I testet some NVIDIA options as well)

1440p Monitor

i7 7700k

GTX 1070

32Gb DD4

SSD

Just go to repost my earlier reply within this thread and add to it.

MM often trots out "don't run it on a potato" or similar well mines no potato and performance is definitely bugged.

1080ti (1950mhz core / 6000mhz mem) latest 416.94 WHQL drivers (DDU previous drivers), 6700k @ 4.6Ghz, 32gb, 4k

Ultra preset, dof / motion blur off

60fps+ outdoors with loads of lush tress, pois, mountains, grass as far as the eye can see with full draw distance. Go into a small 2x1 hole i've cut into the second floor of a small house and fps tanks down to 25fps while mostly looking at bland textures inside of a build with a limited view distance of 15 blocks.

Change the above in-game quality settings to the low preset, restart the game for a clean load and a very similar experience to ultra settings. High fps externally no issues but as soon as i enter the same wall cut out fps tanks down to 40 fps this time. The same repeats with other enclosed indoor locations whether graphics are set to ultra or low. Fps are fine and then tank significantly for reasons unknown, turn to a different direction or exit a building and back to normal.

I'll try and upload some screenshots tonight.

I've yet to test everything (running game in lower res and other driver/setup related sheaningans), but the game runs considerably worse than A16.4 after the upgrade. I expect around 40-60% performance drop at least, which is tremendous.

specs:

i7 8700k (stock clocks)

16GB RAM

GTX 1050ti

SSD/SSHD setup

1920x1080

Back in A16.4 (graphic bugs aside, so SSAO was off), I never dropped below 60fps running the game completely maxed out. Right now, it seems the basic settings don't really impact performance at all - in fact - increasing certain features makes the framerate slightly higher and more stable, than running it on low. CPU is basically sleeping (around 12-15% usage), GPU on the other hand is running at 91-100% (Unity clearly squeezes everything from it on DX11, which might indicate issues). Framerates range from 50-45fps in desert biomes, 42-35fps in forest biomes with cities nearby to around 32-35fps in towns. Things seems playable, until you enter any of the structures; regardless of zombies or not, framerate almost always plummets to around 25fps and can fall as low as 20, when there's a lot of zeds around and the pois are huge. I even swapped from previously used 391.35 drivers to the latest version, no difference what-so-ever.

TL&DR A17 Exp runs like ♥♥♥♥ no matter the hardware setup you have. I hope things will get better, as the new version definitely holds a lot of promise; gameplay-wise, this is the best update 7dtd got so far.

MM often trots out "don't run it on a potato" or similar

Just for a bit of context here, this is the link to Steam's hardware survey:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

For those who can't be bothered clicking, essentially the average Steam user (and by extension most, if not all, of us here) has an 8Gb mem, 4 CPU* PC (running at ~3.5Gz), using a 1060GTX and running Win 10. Add the caveat that most gamers will have better setups than casual gamers and that extends the curve towards a more powerful machine, but even taking this as a basic benchmark people are posting specs well above average and still suffering considerable frame rate issues.

*"4 CPU PC" is a bit ambiguous, technically (and matching the ~3.5Gz clock speed) that runs the gamut from a fairly beefy i7 6700 all the way down to a somewhat lacklustre Phenom II x4.

I think everyone is experiencing framerates tanking when entering POIs. Cities used to cause more of a performance hit, now it's going inside POIs that do it. To me, it seems as though going inside POIs in the city are when my framerates plummet. I've heard people dropping their resolution down to 1920 x 1080 or similar resolutions helps.

Same settings as a16.4, which ran fine, now it is sluggish and looking worse.

This is the only game I know of for which you have to upgrade your pc/gpu more than once.

But then again, it's a never ending project it seems. Pretty disappointed for what we got and the time it took.

Apart from some additions and the AI it looks like a bad mod imho.

I really struggled with the fps and motion sickness when I started A17. I usually do not run Vsync but had to turn it on to get rid of the motion sickness feeling. Unfortunately 15 fps was all I could get and 10 in buildings. Kinda a sucked.

However using the Geforce experience program to "optimize" my settings it recommended lowering my resolution (1920 x 1060 I think). I did so fearing I would lose quality (I play on a 70" screen). Not only did I not notice any difference in graphics (game looks amazing btw) but my fps jumped to 30 even in buildings)

On top of that I decided to turn of Vsync after changing the resolution and BAM! my fps jumped to 60 or better on average with almost all other settings on Max (Geforce 1060, i5 and 16GB Ram)

I was considering attempting to overclock but don't see the need to try it now. Hope this helps anyone struggling with fps drop.

I have a decent rig and I had to significantly lower video settings before game became playable. Much worse than A16 with comparable video settings. Performance decreases inside POIs even further. If I get hit by a zombie inside PoI and start bleeding, I drop to less than 10 fps.

Archived