Would you play with no loot respawn if the map was huge?

bloom_meister

I can remember when cars did not respawn and random gen was infinite, this gave an interesting dynamic whereby if you wanted augers, nailguns and chainsaws (which at the time were mainly looted from cars and came intact, not in parts) then you needed to possibly run far out to find fresh cars.

I am hoping to get a server going for A17 with a large map size, something around 40-50k. The furthest I ever travelled when it was possible to do so was around 45k out and that took a long time.

For me I have never liked the loot respawn dynamic but of course on a smaller map with multiple players that means if you want to join on day 200 then the map would be fully looted (traders mitigates this to some extent now) but in A17, with bigger maps being available this isnt so much of a problem.

My question is, for the people that play MP, would you consider playing on such a huge map if you knew that you might have to travel far to get what you need?

I am also considering severely nerfing the probability of trader spawns as I think they should be very rare and fining one should be really exciting.

That map seems dauntingly big.

I tend to play on a sparsely populated PvE server (it might be more populated when A17 drops), so this isn't really a scenario that I need. However, I like the idea of it. I love exploring and finding new places, but I tend to obsessively try to clear a place first. This scenario would make me get out, and that would be welcome. Also, I've never liked traders much either, so that's another plus.

I approve. :)

I would not.

I like exploring, but I like to do so, on my own terms...

When looting I usually go to different places, just for the variety of it. But there is no way I'm driving 6km just to find some more brass, or what not.

That's just busywork, that may increase immersion for some, but is really not worth it. It would suck the fun out of the endgame.

At least for me.

I would not.

That would mean perpetual NOMAD. Yuck.

I like building and settling down some while exploring.

I look at loot respawns simulating a world you could get more resources from but didn't notice first pass...

in reality, a town would supply WAY more loot then we get normally first run through.

When I play on other servers, I follow their server rules regardless of my opinion on them, but this is how I run my server (currently inactive until after A17E):

No Loot Respawn

Air Drops off.

No Traders* (but trader POIs still spawn, trader is replaced by a high-end zombie)

POIs can be destroyed or taken over at will (the wife and I like to "mark" a looted building by destroying it or turning it into a crafting base)

Zombie and animal spawn turned WAY up (plus all critters have hostile and/or defensive versions. Yes, even rabbits and chickens will sometimes attack)

I solve the feathers issue by letting them be crafted from other materials, though it would be nice if nests had their own loot respawn setting.

... among other things (notably Tin's RWG and aggressive Zombie mods)...

The standard RWG world in A16 is big enough for a handful of players with loot respawn off in my experience. I prefer to play as though the players are the only survivors in the world. If even larger worlds turn out to work well in A17 I see no point in ever turning on loot respawn or air drops. Though I will play on other servers from time to time that do have them.

*I modified the vending machines to turn them into traders because my wife asked me. I dislike the traders and trading but she loves trading, but not the traders. This works, though it's very odd for immersion (I decided it was aliens that caused the virus and the vending machines are theirs as a handwave), but the only way to get coins is to sell things to the trader since I removed coins from loot and treasure.

I can remember when cars did not respawn and random gen was infinite, this gave an interesting dynamic whereby if you wanted augers, nailguns and chainsaws (which at the time were mainly looted from cars and came intact, not in parts) then you needed to possibly run far out to find fresh cars.

I am hoping to get a server going for A17 with a large map size, something around 40-50k. The furthest I ever travelled when it was possible to do so was around 45k out and that took a long time.

For me I have never liked the loot respawn dynamic but of course on a smaller map with multiple players that means if you want to join on day 200 then the map would be fully looted (traders mitigates this to some extent now) but in A17, with bigger maps being available this isnt so much of a problem.

My question is, for the people that play MP, would you consider playing on such a huge map if you knew that you might have to travel far to get what you need?

I am also considering severely nerfing the probability of trader spawns as I think they should be very rare and fining one should be really exciting.

When and if they release an infinite gen version I will turn my loot respawn off

Gonna have to say nope to no loot respawn. Have played on popular servers (20+ppl) and it is hard to find loot as it is. I searched entire towns and didn't find a scrap of paper. If it has a lot of players no loot respawn, good luck finding anything after a week or so. And walking 10k to get loot would get old quick on infinite or very large map.

I would not.

That would mean perpetual NOMAD. Yuck.

I like building and settling down some while exploring.

I look at loot respawns simulating a world you could get more resources from but didn't notice first pass...

in reality, a town would supply WAY more loot then we get normally first run through.

Being nomadic isn't really even feasible, especially playing solo. There's simply no way to store even half of the stuff you need to survive, currently. We'll see if that'll change in A17, if the vehicles have larger storage than the minibike.

Being nomadic isn't really even feasible, especially playing solo. There's simply no way to store even half of the stuff you need to survive, currently. We'll see if that'll change in A17, if the vehicles have larger storage than the minibike.

Exactly.

Maybe if we could daisy chain the Shopping carts together to be able to take all our stuff around...

#7d2d_Slither.io

I actually would play.

Wasn't their a time when nest and/or some other things didn't respawn loot? Seems like years ago now.

I'm currently playing on a RIDICULOUSLY over populated PvP server and finding untouched loot is becoming rare. It has taken about 1 real life week for the server population to "discover" my town that I visit daily at the edge of the map.(RWG)

Nope.

I lost count how often the cars disappear in the first week running a default server run. This mainly to blame the rarity of engines and batteries from venders and garage boxes that supose to have them in their loot tables...

And if you think a server can never run out of cars, then you were not playing on 24/32 player servers with players that serious build large bases...

Imagine if ARK survival did that with one of their servers... players be killing each other off for metal and stone... would be funny... :)

Well you can dig for resources so that wouldnt be a problem and the Wasteland never gets touched. The burnt forest hardly ever. So most likely I would just live in either of those on my two MP servers. However that being said, in a16 I refused to die to glitchy sleepers in buildings so I would just loot cars/roofs/garbage/anything else outside then sell/buy to/from traders/player vending machines so loot was always there for me. But taking loot out entirely is a bad thing.

I always play without loot respawn now, can't get back. It's much more immersive when I know that if I loot this crate it will remain empty forever and I don't need to go back and revisit the raided areas.

It adds the necessity to travel further every time, and it really gives exploration a purpose.

Archived