wood and coal

Data

confused at why the wood has a longer burn time than coal?

wood

<property name="FuelValue" value="50"/>

coal

<property name="FuelValue" value="20"/>

i thought coal would last longer in a fire etc

I and those I play with burned through a LOT of coal, thinking it had a longer burn time until we learned otherwise. It seems odd that wood burns for more than twice as long.

That is, unless there were a way to get coal from wood where you got at least 3 pieces of coal.

secure wood doors, or wood arrow slits. best burn time for the wood. 300 sec for 4 wood. 4 wood by itself only gives 200 burn.

also, grab all the wood chairs you find, they burn nicely, and are free. don't scrap'em, you lose burn time that way.

coal burns hotter, but I'm not sure if it actually burns longer.

don't forget, hardwood burns longer than softwood, but no difference in game. (maple vs pine)

Yeah I always use those wood chairs when I have them. They burn for a long time. I never looked in the files on this or even tested different things on the PC. I did do some testing on the console way back so not sure how much difference it is on this specific thing from console to PC. I do know I have seen in the past that people have posted on the PC side about the chairs. That was the reason I tested it out on console since I can't get into the files to see like we can on pc. Now I kinda wanna go back and find my results for console and see how much difference it is on pc. But I guess I will wait at least for A17 incase some changes have been made.

Contip: I hate to sound like "that guy", but we're talking about wood here. Wood is an insanely abundant resource...and it's insanely renewable. If you have the level of operations that require more than a stack of 6000 wood to fuel your Saruman-esque pit-of-toil, then you're probably going to value your inventory slot and time for something other than chairs...or frames, or arrow-slits. Just scrap it all into a nice fungible unit of fuel.

Though it does seem counter-intuitive that coal burns for a shorter time than wood, since we have no basis for comparison, I've always assumed that the coal was being found in smaller units than would be needed to compete with wood when used as fuel.

-Morloc

Yeah, wooden chairs have always bee the go-to wood burning source. You don't have to craft or shop anything. Just pick them up and stack 'em. Easy peasy!

Funny thing about coal, it burns a lot longer in West Virginia than in the game. Just sayin'...

Yeah, wooden chairs have always bee the go-to wood burning source. You don't have to craft or shop anything. Just pick them up and stack 'em. Easy peasy!

Funny thing about coal, it burns a lot longer in West Virginia than in the game. Just sayin'...

This is what I do. If I do need room in inventory I will break them down into wood it isn't a deal breaker because wood is easy to come by but as long as I have room in inventory I keep them.

Archived