Map size. PC vs Xbox

Patricia

Well, with words about A17 in reference about 'the center' and such - the attempt(s) to make the game less jittery when you go way out... What is it 'vanilla' 10K across? Some have posted that they've made it bigger on their servers... If memory serves at least one has said that theyve made the map 20k... Not sure if that's across or what. So ultimately the difference is Extreme.

Thanks for the info but it doesnt answer my question. The initial poster was asking along the same lines though.

On random gen for the console we get a circular map that goes -4000 to +4000 from pole to pole (east to west and north to south).

I was wondering if the PC maps were bigger.

On PC:

From center "0,0" to the outer boundaries its 10k in all directions N,S,E,W for vanilla.

Currently in A16.4 you can edit the .xmls to have the map be just about any size you want but at a performance cost limited by your computers abilities. The further you travel past the 10k mark, your character starts to shake more and more till it'll eventually become unplayable.

You can actually set the map to be infinite in the xmls but it breaks the map UI.

On PC:

From center "0,0" to the outer boundaries its 10k in all directions N,S,E,W for vanilla.

Currently in A16.4 you can edit the .xmls to have the map be just about any size you want but at a performance cost limited by your computers abilities. The further you travel past the 10k mark, your character starts to shake more and more till it'll eventually become unplayable.

You can actually set the map to be infinite in the xmls but it breaks the map UI.

Dammit Tin, I just had that identical answer all typed out and then find you had already posted it :D

Well, with words about A17 in reference about 'the center' and such - the attempt(s) to make the game less jittery when you go way out... What is it 'vanilla' 10K across? Some have posted that they've made it bigger on their servers... If memory serves at least one has said that theyve made the map 20k... Not sure if that's across or what. So ultimately the difference is Extreme.

Baffles me that this is even a thing.

Thanks for the info but it doesnt answer my question. The initial poster was asking along the same lines though.

On random gen for the console we get a circular map that goes -4000 to +4000 from pole to pole (east to west and north to south).

I was wondering if the PC maps were bigger.

PC is -10000 to +10000

Based on your statements for console (I don't have the console to check) and my own experience on PC:

RWG:

Console (?.??):

Radius: 4,000 m

Diameter: 8,000 m

Area: 50,265,482 m2

PC (A16.4):

Radius: 10,000 m

Diameter: 20,000 m

Area: 314,159,265 m2

I think its because consoles probally couldn't handle the game with the full sized PC Rng map. As for the shaking, what do you mean by that? do you mean where your chars weapon somehow ends up floating in the air or something?

Well according to Alloc: "AFAIK it *does* have random gen. But due to the extreme limitations on consoles (only 2 GiB of storage space per game IIRC) it's obviously limited. But I'd assume it's not that much of a problem for 1-4 players as it's quite hard to get that amount of storage filled with chunks if you don't have tens of random people doing exploration."

On the PC side - its at least recommend that the user has 8GB of ram which is double as noted above... With the game being "CPU" intensive and relying on ram, much more so than GPU (as many games are) the doubling of the ram itself dictates that can do at least twice as much but it goes much further than that... But its more about the settings at that point.

But if the size is what... 8k across with the consoles and the PC's are 20k... Then that is your simplified answer.

But since this game is in beta there will be changes and adjustments so... The PC version may double, quadripple, etc the 'vanilla map size.' Therefore alluding to the below as was above...

I believe that there will possibly be changes to RWG that will hopefully at least address the issue of 'shaking' when you get 'far away' from 0,0 and this is what I was leading to. Apparently it can become so pervasive that the game becomes unplayable. I have noticed it with Valmod in Alpha 15.2 and I was out at the boarder with the rad zone and circled the entire map and I noticed the shaking was bad but still playable. Then there's a 'differentiation' in "map size" and 'playable map'/'terrain generation' in that the game will only generate terrain to the extent of the settings, but technically speaking the 'world extends indefinitely.' But anyway - if that 'fix' works then it would allow for greater sized maps.

The map size is smaller on console one of the biggest reasons is because of console limitations.

It has been maybe back in November maybe October I don't know anyway right at a year pretty much. I was playing console after it got it's summer update and went into creative multiplayer to just drive around and check things out. Anyway I got to the red zone and didn't notice right off hand because the road kept going and some of the town was built up in the red zone. I got to where the edge was where the buildings stopped and you could see the ground and was clear that it was red zone. So I jumped off the bike and looked at the map and I was 80 meters or blocks or whatever you want to call it into the red zone and wasn't dead. So it was intended so i jumped back on bike and decided to keep going and going. Anyway but the time I got bored of it I was was (West 32,000 or 34,000) I can't remember but a good ways out and the game didn't crash or wasn't buggy or anything. People kept joining the game I would jump off look at map and they was moving around. Now I can't answer how the game play was for them or if it was buggy for them or anything but my end no problem. But then again my end was just small hills, old small trees and concrete blocks spawning in over and over. Some places even had really small flat spots with nothing at all. Before I got off I spawned in a shovel and was able to to dig and build out that far with no issues. But as I said nothing on the map was spawning but a few items. Needless to say it was very interesting. Makes me wonder how much further I could of went.

The map size is smaller on console one of the biggest reasons is because of console limitations.

It has been maybe back in November maybe October I don't know anyway right at a year pretty much. I was playing console after it got it's summer update and went into creative multiplayer to just drive around and check things out. Anyway I got to the red zone and didn't notice right off hand because the road kept going and some of the town was built up in the red zone. I got to where the edge was where the buildings stopped and you could see the ground and was clear that it was red zone. So I jumped off the bike and looked at the map and I was 80 meters or blocks or whatever you want to call it into the red zone and wasn't dead. So it was intended so i jumped back on bike and decided to keep going and going. Anyway but the time I got bored of it I was was (West 32,000 or 34,000) I can't remember but a good ways out and the game didn't crash or wasn't buggy or anything. People kept joining the game I would jump off look at map and they was moving around. Now I can't answer how the game play was for them or if it was buggy for them or anything but my end no problem. But then again my end was just small hills, old small trees and concrete blocks spawning in over and over. Some places even had really small flat spots with nothing at all. Before I got off I spawned in a shovel and was able to to dig and build out that far with no issues. But as I said nothing on the map was spawning but a few items. Needless to say it was very interesting. Makes me wonder how much further I could of went.

Well, that stands to reason since you were in creative mode on Console. Technically the world is endless, and technically when in creative mode you shouldn't die, therefore the rad zone had no effect on you. I would also guess - as is in PC - if not in creative mode once you enter the rad zone you start taking damage. Also - as you probably saw and allude to is that 'the world spawns'/'terrain' is generated but no POI's or anything of that nature. I would also guess that there are no zeds out there to. Since the systems are different (Console & PC) the consoles may not have the same issue as PC's in relation to how far your out from the origin of 0,0 as is seen on PC by me and others in vanilla and with mods.

Just curious - are consoles limited in how many can join an MP game? Alloc or someone alluded to that it was limited to 4...

-snip-

Just curious - are consoles limited in how many can join an MP game? Alloc or someone alluded to that it was limited to 4...

Yeah from what I have seen it is limited to 4 including the one hosting. I did hear a rumor that some have gotten 5 but I don't know how or if it is even true.

One thing I noticed is that if you make your map smaller the game will generate POI's in the radiation zone, where it doesn't seem to at default size. I would think it's possible to have a map without a trader due to RWG on a small map.

There is another setting in there that determines how far out the POI's get placed. If you set that the same as your RWG map size then no POI's will get placed in the radiation zone.

Well, that stands to reason since you were in creative mode on Console. Technically the world is endless, and technically when in creative mode you shouldn't die, therefore the rad zone had no effect on you. I would also guess - as is in PC - if not in creative mode once you enter the rad zone you start taking damage. Also - as you probably saw and allude to is that 'the world spawns'/'terrain' is generated but no POI's or anything of that nature. I would also guess that there are no zeds out there to. Since the systems are different (Console & PC) the consoles may not have the same issue as PC's in relation to how far your out from the origin of 0,0 as is seen on PC by me and others in vanilla and with mods.

I have never done creative on PC I just start a game or join friends server. I know if you do anything but creative multiplayer you get hurt. Such as creative single player or a creative private game. So I don't know I only jump on console when some friends that don't have PC want to play for the most part. That and when new updates come to console I try to check them out to see what they added and such.

Yeah it is only 4 players and I have also seen where some have stated they have gotten 5 also not sure if that is true or not but either way it isn't that much. I think console also will only hold so many profiles so you get 4 people on at a time but if you have lots of friends at some point it will not let more players on or something but I haven't seen this either so not sure about it. I know some console players will disagree but with how small the map is 4 players isn't that bad I mean it would be nice I guess with 6 or 8 players but 4 really isn't bad for the size of map it has. The most towns I have seen on console is 12 maybe a few seeds have 13. Most of the seeds have roughly around 7 or 8 towns that I have tried out. So if that tells ya anything compared to what we get on pc.

@crazywildfire - Have you tried 'random letters' for the seeds? My guess is that the seed generation is at least similar and I would also guess that many people use 'names' and such. In the PC-General-"new random gen world seeds for ALPHA 16" thread there's been people trying seed names... I'm wondering if doing some of those random names would generate similar layouts. Ahh shoot... Ram/system limitations might have been coded so you'll might be 'stuck' with the amount of cities too... Might be worth a shot though... Might crash the system if it isn't linked with the limitations?!? HMM!

@crazywildfire - Have you tried 'random letters' for the seeds? My guess is that the seed generation is at least similar and I would also guess that many people use 'names' and such. In the PC-General-"new random gen world seeds for ALPHA 16" thread there's been people trying seed names... I'm wondering if doing some of those random names would generate similar layouts. Ahh shoot... Ram/system limitations might have been coded so you'll might be 'stuck' with the amount of cities too... Might be worth a shot though... Might crash the system if it isn't linked with the limitations?!? HMM!

I have tried lots of things lol. Numbers, names, random letters and numbers. Console as of yet doesn't have a map previewer and have tried jumping on the PC and testing names out to see if the seeds have any similarities at all but they do not so lol. Console section of the forums has a seed section also but finding a real good one for console is a challenge then when you do find one over time playing it over and over you want a new one lol. But it is all good I don't play console version enough anymore to care to much about it. As I said I really on jump on it to play with a few friends that don't have PC and here lately they been playing other games so I probably not going to be back on it until the next update coming later this year.

I have tried lots of things lol. Numbers, names, random letters and numbers. Console as of yet doesn't have a map previewer and have tried jumping on the PC and testing names out to see if the seeds have any similarities at all but they do not so lol. Console section of the forums has a seed section also but finding a real good one for console is a challenge then when you do find one over time playing it over and over you want a new one lol. But it is all good I don't play console version enough anymore to care to much about it. As I said I really on jump on it to play with a few friends that don't have PC and here lately they been playing other games so I probably not going to be back on it until the next update coming later this year.

Honestly games like 7dtd, fallout, elder scrolls need to be played on a pc to really get the full experence, the consoles just lose too much due to lack of power and mods. Yes yes, I know fallout 4 has mods, but all the good mods use the fallout 4 script extender, and can't work without it, and the consoles won't let you use that mod. Not to mention Bethesda tries way to hard to monetize them. Its why I am prob not going to get fallout 76, dislike the fact its online only, forced pvp, no way to play solo at all, and how mods will come later and it'll be the crap creators club stuff again so bethesda can make money off mods.

Honestly games like 7dtd, fallout, elder scrolls need to be played on a pc to really get the full experence, the consoles just lose too much due to lack of power and mods. Yes yes, I know fallout 4 has mods, but all the good mods use the fallout 4 script extender, and can't work without it, and the consoles won't let you use that mod. Not to mention Bethesda tries way to hard to monetize them. Its why I am prob not going to get fallout 76, dislike the fact its online only, forced pvp, no way to play solo at all, and how mods will come later and it'll be the crap creators club stuff again so bethesda can make money off mods.

Yeah and no. I like both versions yeah you miss out on a bunch but for me personally I don't look at it that way on what I'm missing. The console version is it's own game when it comes to this one. People try to compare the two but as you said the limitations on console you just can't. This game on console will never match what PC has even for the vanilla version and knowing that one shouldn't try to compare it and play it as it is for what it is. Doing so you can have fun playing it and and enjoy it. It isn't like the console cost $60 I think it is like 20 maybe 30 or wait for it to go on sale for like 10. But with that said having it in PC and console version I play PC version more but I have yet to play any mods on PC and will probably wait until the game goes gold before doing so for a few reasons the biggest one at the moment is my work and the lack of time I been able to really play much of anything lately.

Yeah and no. I like both versions yeah you miss out on a bunch but for me personally I don't look at it that way on what I'm missing. The console version is it's own game when it comes to this one. People try to compare the two but as you said the limitations on console you just can't. This game on console will never match what PC has even for the vanilla version and knowing that one shouldn't try to compare it and play it as it is for what it is. Doing so you can have fun playing it and and enjoy it. It isn't like the console cost $60 I think it is like 20 maybe 30 or wait for it to go on sale for like 10. But with that said having it in PC and console version I play PC version more but I have yet to play any mods on PC and will probably wait until the game goes gold before doing so for a few reasons the biggest one at the moment is my work and the lack of time I been able to really play much of anything lately.

BOO! If/when you do decide to check some mods - do the Mod Launcher thing! Quick and easy - you're only a few clicks away from any mod! 5 Stars!!

Archived