Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Has anyone else had trouble downloading the mod on the mod launcher?

I've had it take 3+ HOURS and im on a solid 90 Mb connection using Cat 6 to my router.

Any other mod is like 30 minutes at most (Ravenhearst). I recently deleted the mod I had so that I could upgrade to 2.5/18.3 and I CAN NOT get it to properly download. Were there problems the last few days?

I rather like DF a lil more than RH so this kinda sucks for me.

help?

Hello DF players how does DF compare with vanilla for FPS? I'd like to return to DF but only if it plays smoothly. Also are bandits back in yet?

there are bandits, as well as hirable NPCs... who die pretty fast for the money!

I had mixed FPS but it may be because my system is starting to age. When I had it working, i only had 8GB RAM YMMV

Has anyone else had trouble downloading the mod on the mod launcher?

I've had it take 3+ HOURS and im on a solid 90 Mb connection using Cat 6 to my router.

Any other mod is like 30 minutes at most (Ravenhearst). I recently deleted the mod I had so that I could upgrade to 2.5/18.3 and I CAN NOT get it to properly download. Were there problems the last few days?

I rather like DF a lil more than RH so this kinda sucks for me.

help?

That's just gitlab. Not a lot I can do about that.

You could download it from Nexus and manually install. Using a VPN sometimes helps too (had the same problem installing RH on a 300mb connection, turned on my VPN and it somehow fixed it).

Hello DF players how does DF compare with vanilla for FPS? I'd like to return to DF but only if it plays smoothly. Also are bandits back in yet?

Depends entirely on the map you play. Though you can install Sphereii's Legacy Distant Terrain mod to DF 18.3 for extra FPS.

Guest belowzeros
Has anyone else had trouble downloading the mod on the mod launcher?help?

I have used it a lot over the last couple weeks trying the overhauls on there and I didn't experience any speed problems. Most packs were done within 10 minutes. It could be your connection path to github over the internet maybe?

On Ultrawide 3440x1600 with 2.5 I get about 60-80fps with only a 1080ti. I think I can squeeze out some more but I stopped tuning the graphics options so I could do more playing :) It runs really well you can sacrifice some eye candy for more frames.

i ment i saw the bandits, but i didn't knew you can hire them

Only the named ones

After creating and reading the future is now book, does reading additional copies do anything? If not, can research notes be used for anything else?

Also, I've seen it mentioned in other forums from time to time. Mega city map, you know nothing but city. I realize it may not be plausible, would wreck older machines, and probably have to be somewhat smaller than normal map size. Could be very interesting if possible.

I'm also enjoying the mod very much. Excellent job Khaine, and thank you.

Guest belowzeros

are torches (not flashlights) still meant to be used as a weapon? when I swing (left click) it starts to attack but then drops to the ground. I thought you might have taken it out but the tooltip still says can be used as a weapon.

also I found a UI glitch I'm not sure if it's mod specific:

I was in the skills tab looking stuff up and accidentally mashed two keys together. The command line box pops up with continuous red text:

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

I can repeat by doing the same. It doesn't seem to happen on other UI elements with text box inputs, just the skills tab that I can find. I can replicate it, a reload resets the UI.

I'm on 2.5 with 18.3 with Valmar's traps & HDHQ modlets

Edited by belowzeros (see edit history)

Tried Everything

well i tried just about everything, i deleted so many files moved some things around and still game crashes, i did notice my GPU usage jumps to 100% but i can run A18.2 version for DF with no problems at all nothing happens no major lag or anything, it has to be the mod then right? i cant find the crash logs anywhere, i have 16 gig memory im running a fairly old machine i only have a i7-4790k cpu its fairly old as i said i dont have money to upgrade at all, im so broke the rats are laughing at me its all them damn medical bills, but anyway i found a great map and dont want to lose it, when i first got the updated mod it ran fine nothing wrong, then i changed some video settings and it crashed so im not sure what to do at this point.

Guest belowzeros
well i tried just about everything, i deleted so many files moved some things around and still game crashes, i did notice my GPU usage jumps to 100% but i can run A18.2 version for DF with no problems at all nothing happens no major lag or anything, it has to be the mod then right? i cant find the crash logs anywhere, i have 16 gig memory im running a fairly old machine i only have a i7-4790k cpu its fairly old as i said i dont have money to upgrade at all, im so broke the rats are laughing at me its all them damn medical bills, but anyway i found a great map and dont want to lose it, when i first got the updated mod it ran fine nothing wrong, then i changed some video settings and it crashed so im not sure what to do at this point.

I actually experienced the same sort of thing on a new machine. The way it was crashing I knew it was memory so I was watching the memory usage and it would crash at about 8gb of physical mem. Then it would fill up the page file and crash when it was full. The page file useage seems to be higher on 18.3, I never crashed before. Try increasing your page file and see if it gets any better, it's an easy test.

After creating and reading the future is now book, does reading additional copies do anything? If not, can research notes be used for anything else?

Also, I've seen it mentioned in other forums from time to time. Mega city map, you know nothing but city. I realize it may not be plausible, would wreck older machines, and probably have to be somewhat smaller than normal map size. Could be very interesting if possible.

I'm also enjoying the mod very much. Excellent job Khaine, and thank you.

They don't do anything else atm. I may look into potential uses.

I remember the mega-city map from A16. That used to kill PC's even then. :D It'd be cool though.

are torches (not flashlights) still meant to be used as a weapon? when I swing (left click) it starts to attack but then drops to the ground. I thought you might have taken it out but the tooltip still says can be used as a weapon.

also I found a UI glitch I'm not sure if it's mod specific:

I was in the skills tab looking stuff up and accidentally mashed two keys together. The command line box pops up with continuous red text:

"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

I can repeat by doing the same. It doesn't seem to happen on other UI elements with text box inputs, just the skills tab that I can find. I can replicate it, a reload resets the UI.

I'm on 2.5 with 18.3 with Valmar's traps & HDHQ modlets

Not sure on the flashlight. I'll have to look into it later.

Never seen that with the UI, but I didn't mess with the skill list controller so I wonder if it's the same in vanilla... O.o

Hi DF players what maps are most recommended to play on? Or is random gen maps the way to go?

I like Small 2 and Small 3 personally. Less RAM usage, good layouts.

I actually experienced the same sort of thing on a new machine. The way it was crashing I knew it was memory so I was watching the memory usage and it would crash at about 8gb of physical mem. Then it would fill up the page file and crash when it was full. The page file useage seems to be higher on 18.3, I never crashed before. Try increasing your page file and see if it gets any better, it's an easy test.

^ this.

I dev the mod on a laptop, with an i7-4710MQ CPU and 32GB RAM, so worse CPU than yours but more RAM. Virtual memory is often the issue for crashing. Using one of the small maps can help with this, but when you hit 8GB RAM, it'll start tapping the page file. Increasing that to 8 or 16GB can help a lot.

Guest belowzeros
Not sure on the flashlight. I'll have to look into it later.

regular torch not flashlight for your bug searching...I only really use the torch as a wep in the beginning anyway but setting stuff on fire is nice

also I was using HDHQ biome modlets but had to remove them. they were overwriting the trees and I couldn't loot sap, feathers or seeds and they were producing an item after destroying which is likely the seed but it had no icon and just a reference name. they are still on the recommended area on page one which is why I mention it. HDHQ Plants and E to loot them only seems to work ok so far.

Edited by belowzeros (see edit history)

That's just gitlab. Not a lot I can do about that.

You could download it from Nexus and manually install. Using a VPN sometimes helps too (had the same problem installing RH on a 300mb connection, turned on my VPN and it somehow fixed it).

Depends entirely on the map you play. Though you can install Sphereii's Legacy Distant Terrain mod to DF 18.3 for extra FPS.

I did a manual install... but did I screw up? I'm using 18.3b4 but I can't farm crickets anymore. are they no longer in the mod? I also don't see a need to make the personal workbench thingie.

Okay, So i do not know what i did wrong here. I downloaded a server from blue fang with darkness falls on it when i launched it i was getting a bunch of errors. i reached out to the support team on blue fang and they told me i needed to download darkness falls on client side. so i proceed to download the link for Darkness Falls Client 18.3. i uninstalled my 7d2d and when i re-downloaded i opened the properties folder and copy and pasted all the un zipped files to my games files. now when i launch 7d2d all i get is a black screen? where in the world did i go wrong. ive been trying to sort this out for three hours now lol

Guest belowzeros
Oh! Then yes. The torch can be placed or thrown. Throwing it emits light where it lands. :)

is there a way I'm missing to still swing it as a weapon or was that a change? thanks Khaine

I did a manual install... but did I screw up? I'm using 18.3b4 but I can't farm crickets anymore. are they no longer in the mod? I also don't see a need to make the personal workbench thingie.

Not sure what you mean by "farm crickets"?

Okay, So i do not know what i did wrong here. I downloaded a server from blue fang with darkness falls on it when i launched it i was getting a bunch of errors. i reached out to the support team on blue fang and they told me i needed to download darkness falls on client side. so i proceed to download the link for Darkness Falls Client 18.3. i uninstalled my 7d2d and when i re-downloaded i opened the properties folder and copy and pasted all the un zipped files to my games files. now when i launch 7d2d all i get is a black screen? where in the world did i go wrong. ive been trying to sort this out for three hours now lol

You've got EAC on. When booting from steam, select "show launcher" and disable EAC from there.

is there a way I'm missing to still swing it as a weapon or was that a change? thanks Khaine

It was a change.

Left click to throw (works like rocks/grenades, so hold for more power to throw further), right-click to place as block on a wall.

Farming insects and the personal workbench is a RavenHearst mod thing. Might be in Vanilla also, been along time since I played basic vanilla. Not a DF mod thing at all

Guest belowzeros
It was a change.

Left click to throw (works like rocks/grenades, so hold for more power to throw further), right-click to place as block on a wall.

ah ic ty. my confusion came from the tooltip, it still says you can set zeds on fire.

Farming insects and the personal workbench is a RavenHearst mod thing. Might be in Vanilla also, been along time since I played basic vanilla. Not a DF mod thing at all

yeah that's just Ravenhearst. they look like crickets on the tooltip icon and you need to use the small personal workbench from the start to do anything.