A16 - Tin'sMod: The Dying Lands.

Tin

Just a heads up I am working on getting this into the launcher as well, for those that prefer that route :)

Looking forward to it. Not that it’s all that difficult to add but some of those I play with on the server like to swap back and forth often. Have not gotten back to the game yet today, probably tonight, but want to try some of the suggestions you gave on the server.

Give me a sec I'm getting some pics together. I went with a more natural look on how clay is dispersed in the biomes. You'll find smaller spots on the surface to show where they are but you'll need to dig it out to get all of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23659[/ATTACH]

The plains are the hardest to spot since it blends in really well

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23660[/ATTACH]

Burnt: look in the patches of thicker grass ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23661[/ATTACH]

forest

Will look similar in the other biomes as well.

Clay is such a staple ingredient in the game, I made it more of a issue to find but there is still mega amounts in every biome.

So every biome still has it, it just blends in better than before but still visible and you need to work for it since there's 3-4 layers underneath.

Blame guppy for making these nodes for me. I just creatively used them. ;) GL

I don't see anyone else reporting this, so maybe I'm just lucky? Or maybe I have a bad version of your xml files?

When the server starts, as near as I can tell it does not initialize the world, but just sits there. If I try to connect with client, I get "Server is still initializing, please try again in a minute. I let it run for quite a while, no change. This is the same server I've been playing on for a very long time, all I did was change the seed (so it would generate a fresh world) and copy your config files over the existing files.

When the player tries to join, the log shows:

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.355 INF [NET] PlayerConnected EntityID=-1, PlayerID='', OwnerID='', PlayerName=''

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.510 INF PlayerLogin: tOok/Alpha 16.4

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.510 INF Client IP: 10.0.0.2

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.511 INF Kicking player (Server is still initializing): EntityID=-1, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='', PlayerName='Ook'

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.623 INF [NET] PlayerDisconnected EntityID=-1, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='', PlayerName='Ook'

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.645 INF Player disconnected: EntityID=-1, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='', PlayerName='Ook'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at ConnectionManager.DisconnectClient (.ClientInfo _cInfo, Boolean _bShutdown) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConnectionManager.Net_PlayerDisconnected (.ClientInfo _cInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at NetworkServerUnity.OnPlayerDisconnected (NetworkPlayer _player) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Steam.OnPlayerDisconnected (NetworkPlayer _networkPlayer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I can telnet into the server, and executing a command as simple as gettime does this:

gt

2017-12-30T12:08:40 413.069 INF Executing command 'gt' by Telnet from 127.0.0.1:56624

*** ERROR: Executing command 'gt' failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This usually happens when it doesn't like something in the xml, but the client will usually not start. In this case the client starts right up.

A16.4 (b8), no mods, no custom configs.

Slackware 14.2 64 bit

24GB ram

So yeah, dead in the water. Advice/suggestions welcome :)

I don't see anyone else reporting this, so maybe I'm just lucky? Or maybe I have a bad version of your xml files?

When the server starts, as near as I can tell it does not initialize the world, but just sits there. If I try to connect with client, I get "Server is still initializing, please try again in a minute. I let it run for quite a while, no change. This is the same server I've been playing on for a very long time, all I did was change the seed (so it would generate a fresh world) and copy your config files over the existing files.

When the player tries to join, the log shows:

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.355 INF [NET] PlayerConnected EntityID=-1, PlayerID='', OwnerID='', PlayerName=''

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.510 INF PlayerLogin: tOok/Alpha 16.4

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.510 INF Client IP: 10.0.0.2

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.511 INF Kicking player (Server is still initializing): EntityID=-1, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='', PlayerName='Ook'

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.623 INF [NET] PlayerDisconnected EntityID=-1, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='', PlayerName='Ook'

2017-12-30T12:03:30 103.645 INF Player disconnected: EntityID=-1, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='', PlayerName='Ook'

at ConnectionManager.DisconnectClient (.ClientInfo _cInfo, Boolean _bShutdown) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ConnectionManager.Net_PlayerDisconnected (.ClientInfo _cInfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at NetworkServerUnity.OnPlayerDisconnected (NetworkPlayer _player) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Steam.OnPlayerDisconnected (NetworkPlayer _networkPlayer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I can telnet into the server, and executing a command as simple as gettime does this:

gt

2017-12-30T12:08:40 413.069 INF Executing command 'gt' by Telnet from 127.0.0.1:56624

*** ERROR: Executing command 'gt' failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This usually happens when it doesn't like something in the xml, but the client will usually not start. In this case the client starts right up.

A16.4 (b8), no mods, no custom configs.

Slackware 14.2 64 bit

24GB ram

So yeah, dead in the water. Advice/suggestions welcome :)

Hmmm, I haven't ran into this issue nor has anyone contacted me as of yet about a similar experience. Weird as I am using the same files as I gave everyone else. Has the player installed the files to their client before logging onto the server? It shouldn't matter either way but maybe they have some residual files on the client that are causing issues with the server.?!?

I know when I log onto guppy's prefab server I need to switch all my files to the vanilla files in order to access his server and then switch back to access mine. Just a thought as something to try.

Maybe have them do a complete wipe and verify their files to get all vanilla files and then add the config and prefab folders I provided.

Let me know what happens and if it still persists I can forward a direct copy of what I am using on my server and give to you but like I said whats in the d/l I gave out is exactly what I use for mine.

Another thing to ponder is have you used the seed your using before? if so it might have residual files that are carrying over and causing issues.

Oh! can you also post the logs so I can take a look at them and hopefully see were the issue is.

I'm going to delete everything and do a fresh download of the entire game, just to be sure. I doubt it will help, as I'm running on Linux, and with Linux we seldom have to reinstall anything to fix problems but you never know.....I'll post an update with logs after I do so. I usually tweak the xmls in the config directory, but I deleted it before copying yours over. I'll also use a fresh serverconfig.xml.

It's not a client issue, it's definitely the server. I can't even to a gettime without the NullReferenceException error, which is a clear indication of a xml problem.

Maybe it's because I'm on Linux, though I don't see how that would make any difference.

Anyhow I'll report back after I try again with clean install and clean download and play with it a bit - maybe I can identify the xml causing this......

Ok I've downloaded it, what do I do with the extracted files?

Will it muck up my existing save game? Or server game?

You should always run fresh.

Things you can try but no guarantees:

Make a new folder and call it "OldGame" or something. Copy then paste your current config and prefab folder from the game in it. This way you can swap back when you want to play your old stuff.

Then copy and paste the config and prefab folders in the d/l into the game. Start a new world, new seed and play.

When you want to play your old stuff (or just go back) go to the folder you have your old game config and prefab folder. copy and past it back into the game and log into your old save.

If you are accessing a server from the client do the same as you would to go back to your old game. If you are running a server you would need to do the same thing as making a new folder call it "Oldserver config" (or something) so you know it came from your server. then all you need to do is swap back n forth.

I suggest you go fresh though.

I'm going to delete everything and do a fresh download of the entire game, just to be sure. I doubt it will help, as I'm running on Linux, and with Linux we seldom have to reinstall anything to fix problems but you never know.....I'll post an update with logs after I do so. I usually tweak the xmls in the config directory, but I deleted it before copying yours over. I'll also use a fresh serverconfig.xml.

It's not a client issue, it's definitely the server. I can't even to a gettime without the NullReferenceException error, which is a clear indication of a xml problem.

Maybe it's because I'm on Linux, though I don't see how that would make any difference.

Anyhow I'll report back after I try again with clean install and clean download and play with it a bit - maybe I can identify the xml causing this......

In the logs when you try to run just the game and not the server does it say anything about tradercatlin blah blah blah as being the error?

TAADAA! Found the problem.

Exception: Parsing biomes. Prefab with name 'tinRockForm01SLPR.tts' not found!

Actual file name is tinRockform01SLPR.tts

tinRockform01SLPR.tts

tinRockForm01SLPR.tts

Linux is case sensitive. Windows is not. So this would work with Windows, but not Linux because the case of the files is not the same.

I'll go through and fix this and any others I find and report back...

TAADAA! Found the problem.

Exception: Parsing biomes. Prefab with name 'tinRockForm01SLPR.tts' not found!

Actual file name is tinRockform01SLPR.tts

tinRockform01SLPR.tts

tinRockForm01SLPR.tts

Linux is case sensitive. Windows is not. So this would work with Windows, but not Linux because the case of the files is not the same.

I'll go through and fix this and any others I find and report back...

balls lol good find. grr Wonder why some of the guys I know running this didn't get this?!? idk maybe they just fixed it and didn't tell me which is highly possible xD. I'll make the adjustment and put out a new d/l link.

tinRockform01SLPR.tts file - renamed to tinRockForm01SLPR.tts

I found one more:

Prefab with name 'guppylead.tts' not found

Actual file was guppyLead2.tts

In this case I updated biomes.xml so as to stay with the camel case convention used.

Server starts, generates world.

I find myself stuck, unable to move, with this spamming the console:

2017-12-30T14:04:52 350.988 INF PlayerSpawnedInWorld (reason: Teleport, position: -78, 1, -6): EntityID=171, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='76561197960378421', PlayerName='Ook'

Looks like I spawned underground, and the scenery is busy generating. Not to worry. I'm going back to my old server config, and I'll play with this a bit. There are no more errors in the log, so I think it was just those two files. I'll let you know how it goes, I need to install a new stereo in Mama's car and clean the garage and other real life stuff <sigh>....

- - - Updated - - -

It's possible the others just fixed it instead of whining about it like I did :). As many hours as I've spent breaking and fixing the xml files, I should have caught this right off, iIt was right there at the bottom of the log because the server came to a screeching halt when it hit this. Kinda hard to miss. I blame the caffeine....or the chocolate...or the phase of the moon and Jupiter not being aligned with Mars...

tinRockform01SLPR.tts file - renamed to tinRockForm01SLPR.tts

I found one more:

Prefab with name 'guppylead.tts' not found

Actual file was guppyLead2.tts

In this case I updated biomes.xml so as to stay with the camel case convention used.

Server starts, generates world.

I find myself stuck, unable to move, with this spamming the console:

2017-12-30T14:04:52 350.988 INF PlayerSpawnedInWorld (reason: Teleport, position: -78, 1, -6): EntityID=171, PlayerID='76561197960378421', OwnerID='76561197960378421', PlayerName='Ook'

Looks like I spawned underground, and the scenery is busy generating. Not to worry. I'm going back to my old server config, and I'll play with this a bit. There are no more errors in the log, so I think it was just those two files. I'll let you know how it goes, I need to install a new stereo in Mama's car and clean the garage and other real life stuff <sigh>....

- - - Updated - - -

It's possible the others just fixed it instead of whining about it like I did :). As many hours as I've spent breaking and fixing the xml files, I should have caught this right off, iIt was right there at the bottom of the log because the server came to a screeching halt when it hit this. Kinda hard to miss. I blame the caffeine....or the chocolate...or the phase of the moon and Jupiter not being aligned with Mars...

I blame windows for dumbing down. >.> I would blame myself but I'm lazy which is why I switched to windows xD TY for finds I'll make the adjustments and redo the d/l link again :)

I changed the seed from whatever the default is, I'm using "TinsMod" :D. It did the downloading hub cell data blah blah Generating Distant Terrain blah blah like it is supposed. Player spawns. I'm at the edge of a burn zone, and I'm seeing a few rocks and trees from the ...plains? Forest? biome. Nice biome transition. I didn't have time to do much because A wolf came along and explained that it was hungry and I looked like a good food source, but yeah, it looks quite nice. I can't imagine how many hours you must of invested into this! Thank you so much!

Real Life is calling and I really need to go do a thing or Mama is not gonna be happy <sigh>....I bought her a new car stereo for Christmas, and now she expects me to install it....

I changed the seed from whatever the default is, I'm using "TinsMod" :D. It did the downloading hub cell data blah blah Generating Distant Terrain blah blah like it is supposed. Player spawns. I'm at the edge of a burn zone, and I'm seeing a few rocks and trees from the ...plains? Forest? biome. Nice biome transition. I didn't have time to do much because A wolf came along and explained that it was hungry and I looked like a good food source, but yeah, it looks quite nice. I can't imagine how many hours you must of invested into this! Thank you so much!

Real Life is calling and I really need to go do a thing or Mama is not gonna be happy <sigh>....I bought her a new car stereo for Christmas, and now she expects me to install it....

Cool and thanks for the words. Hope you enjoy it for many hours :) ..And thanks again for finding those issues!

Give me a sec I'm getting some pics together. I went with a more natural look on how clay is dispersed in the biomes. You'll find smaller spots on the surface to show where they are but you'll need to dig it out to get all of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23659[/ATTACH]

The plains are the hardest to spot since it blends in really well

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23660[/ATTACH]

Burnt: look in the patches of thicker grass ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23661[/ATTACH]

forest

Will look similar in the other biomes as well.

Clay is such a staple ingredient in the game, I made it more of a issue to find but there is still mega amounts in every biome.

So every biome still has it, it just blends in better than before but still visible and you need to work for it since there's 3-4 layers underneath.

Blame guppy for making these nodes for me. I just creatively used them. ;) GL

click the attachments in the above quoted post. You see the patchy dis colorization of the pics above? that's clay. Same color as it was in vanilla.

question tin wat exactly do i have to look for on the ground to find clay as im not quite sure with your mod and is there any way you can balance the traders as currently their practically useless :)

Meh I'm not really a fan of the traders myself but I haven't touch them in any way as opposed to how they are in the vanilla game. Just about every town has 1 trader. I did that in order for ppl to 1) have a quick initial access. 2) so players need to travel to other towns in order to sell between them. Give them a reason to visit multiple places. That's probably going to be it for the here and now.

When A17 hits and I get more things to play with I'll be upgrading this mod with it. Items are set to be redone in A17 so that when I'm going to focus on the traders.

can i make a suggestion for a new recipe for your mod? :)

Go ahead and make the [sug] No guarantees I'll put it in since I don't know what your suggestion is ;)

So don't take it as an affront if I don't add it, because I got plans and it may not be beneficial to what I want to do in the long run.

Archived