A16 - Unlocking In-Game Prefab Editor (Terrain Tools) [.dll mod]

herrpohl

Hello.

Starting to poke at this. Query: A post from a previous version showed an option in the edit screen to make a new flat world. Is this option still available? I am not seeing it.

Other question I have found that by simply copying the Nav folder with a new name, the game will allow me to start as, and to modify, a whole new world just like Nav, that can sit side by side with it. Which is cool. Curious though if there is any way to export the terrain from a generated RWG map into a set of .rg files to use in the editor, to be able to play with not-navezgane as a baseline? Or any other way to get a set of .rg files?

Also, I am currently trying to open a new world in the editor as we speak(after having poked at Nav only a little) of size 8(smallest it would let me start) and the game seems to have stalled at 'Building Environment'. Is 8 actually too small to work? I would have thought smaller would load easier?

Edit: Nvm, several questions answered at once. 8 was too small and the 'create new world' option does create a new empty world. Still curious if there is any way to dynamically generate .rg files.

New question though: How to save a new prefab using this? Using the prefab tools, all I seem to be able to do is load existing prefabs(which seems to remove the entire world) and potentially overwrite them(haven't tried yet). Not finding a way to make a new one, or add an existing one onto my bigflatemptyworld.

Hello.

Other question I have found that by simply copying the Nav folder with a new name, the game will allow me to start as, and to modify, a whole new world just like Nav, that can sit side by side with it. Which is cool. Curious though if there is any way to export the terrain from a generated RWG map into a set of .rg files to use in the editor, to be able to play with not-navezgane as a baseline? Or any other way to get a set of .rg files? [/Quote]

It's possible but you won't be able to see the distant terrain from the RWG map since it works differently in Nav. You'd have to change the biomes.xml to only generating stone in each biome (no decorations, ores etc.). Generate the map and then copy the rg. files from your save game folder to worlds/Navezgane/Region folder. If you load up a new Nav map the game will use this terrain as the basis.

New question though: How to save a new prefab using this? Using the prefab tools, all I seem to be able to do is load existing prefabs(which seems to remove the entire world) and potentially overwrite them(haven't tried yet). Not finding a way to make a new one, or add an existing one onto my bigflatemptyworld.

You need to draw a selection box around your prefab by pressing Z (or Y) first and then draw the box around your prefab by using shift + G. Then press K, select the prefab menu and save your prefab. You can load up prefabs the same way.

herrpohl, how do you save the maps? The one issue I have with the Editor, is that changes I make to the world don't seem to "stick". Also, it's weird that I have to go to the New World menu, change to Editor, then go to the Continue and load from there. And often I need to exit and go to New World again, because it started normal instead of Editor mode anyway.

And SHIFT-G has never worked for me! I'm now upset that it does for you. :)

Dreamdancer, what I do to select stuff is point to a block in one corner and press Z while pressing SHIFT, then do the same on the opposite corner (one at the bottom, one at the top). If you don't press shift, you select a block _beside_ the one you are pointing. When you press shift, then you select the block itself.

Another thing I do is, using the k menu, select "create prefab". On the Building menu you can reach through ESC, select Show Prefab Areas (or something like that), which causes all prefabs in the world to be highlighted. Then you can click on any prefab, and, from that point on, you can _replace_ that prefab with another one using k, or save your selection to a file.

herrpohl, how do you save the maps? The one issue I have with the Editor, is that changes I make to the world don't seem to "stick". Also, it's weird that I have to go to the New World menu, change to Editor, then go to the Continue and load from there. And often I need to exit and go to New World again, because it started normal instead of Editor mode anyway.

You can save the prefab positions by pressing Esc and hitting save. You can't really save changes you made to the terrain of the world unfortunately. I always load up my worlds via the Create World screen (editing tools), so you're always in editing mode.

And SHIFT-G has never worked for me! I'm now upset that it does for you. :)

Sorry, it's Ctrl+Shift+G. Shift + G is only for moving the selection box. :-\

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone has the same issue I had, the reason the controls associated with G were not working is that I had removed the "Drop Item From Toolbelt" shotcut, which is G.

- - - Updated - - -

nevermind just found the sleeper block i feel dumb

Just the sleeper blocks aren't enough. You need to create at least one sleeper volume covering the sleeper blocks, and associate it with an existing group (typically, the default or the lootroom) from gamestages.xml. I highly recommend you use Pilles editor to do this, though you can simply edit the XML for your prefab. It seems this tool should be able to do sleeper volumes as well, but I have not figured out how. I suppose you make a selection for the area, but then what?

I've learned some stuff about the sleeper volume too, now. It seems when you first save a prefab by selecting it, then using the Save button on the prefab menu, that prefab is created with a default sleeper volume. You can then use Create Prefab to insert your prefab in the world _as_ a prefab. However, sleeper volumes *will not show up* unless you exit the editor and enter it again at that point! Then you need to enable Show Sleeper Volumes, and Sleeper X-Ray if you want, and things will work.

Sleeper volumes can be moved and resized with the "drop" keybinding (defaults to G), and you can create new ones by selecting a sleeper volume and using the "Copy Sleeper Volume" in the same menu as the Show Sleeper Volume checkbox.

Final tip, when you exit fly mode, you cannot cross a sleeper volume boundary. That can be useful when you are inside a sleeper volume and want to make sure you don't stray away from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived