Destroying the game

7 days to die fan

I wanna know how the fun pimps have managed to destroy a already great game? Alpha 16 was the best version of the game. But it seems they make an adjustment to make another adjustment to end with another adjustment, that all counter the first one in the first place. I dont know if the devs are drunk all the time or what. but the process they have made on this game is trash at the least. 

10 hours ago, 7 days to die fan said:

I wanna know how the fun pimps have managed to destroy a already great game? Alpha 16 was the best version of the game. But it seems they make an adjustment to make another adjustment to end with another adjustment, that all counter the first one in the first place. I dont know if the devs are drunk all the time or what. but the process they have made on this game is trash at the least. 

Why to people always focus on Alpha 16?  That was probably one of the absolute buggiest versions that existed. Drive down a road and your minibike would teleport into a hill next to you with you on it. Managing servers was almost a complete nightmare unless you used several API mods to counter a number of the games issues in the world.

It was probably the first version that started taking away most of the survival aspects. Oh wait.. THAT"S why you like it so much. Alpha 16 was basically easy mode with no challenge and infinite food and ammo.

51 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Unlike the current iteration...?

I can't say about A16 - I haven't played it. But in A17, survival was easier than it is now. There was water everywhere, and empty cans came across regularly. Seeds are eternal, plant once and harvest forever, no need to level up a farmer.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Why to people always focus on Alpha 16?  That was probably one of the absolute buggiest versions that existed.

I didn't really have any particular problems under Linux. The only thing that happened to me was that if the game crashed while I was sitting on the minibike, the minibike reappeared where I had last dismounted after restarting.

My reason why I like Alpha 16 so much is that there was still learning by doing and I could build really big bases without having frame drops. From Alpha 17 onwards I had to limit myself to small bases if I didn't want the horde night to become a slide show. And it was also the last time you could mine resources in peace without a screamer bothering you every 5 minutes.

Just now, Suxar said:

But in A17, survival was easier than it is now.

In A22 I dug myself into the ground on D3, with a couple dew collectors. Popping my head out of the ground to do a buried supplies daily, the couple daily chickens/rabbits and random eggs have fed me just fine, digging. I have farm plots 60m deep down, they're purely decorative.

Easier? Maybe. Moar Easier Enough to justify the context of "why you guys So Weak to want to go back to the easiest version of the game"? Nah. I ain't arguing difficulty between 1/10 and 1.1/10 ... I'm countertrolling a point without aim.

10 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Why to people always focus on Alpha 16?  That was probably one of the absolute buggiest versions that existed. Drive down a road and your minibike would teleport into a hill next to you with you on it. Managing servers was almost a complete nightmare unless you used several API mods to counter a number of the games issues in the world.

It was probably the first version that started taking away most of the survival aspects. Oh wait.. THAT"S why you like it so much. Alpha 16 was basically easy mode with no challenge and infinite food and ammo.

Personally, playing single player only, I never found it particularly buggy.

Anyway, my preference for A16 is simply that horde nights (and consequently base building) were much more fun because they weren't easily exploitable.  I've said this before (and I'll most likely say it again) but in A16 I loved coming up with base designs, building them, and seeing if they worked.  Since A17, I've had a base not work as intended a total of once, because I was unaware they'd changed the length of the path AI would follow, and thus built my base too large.

Horde night has become entirely predictable, and therefore boring.  There's no more trying to find ways to control the zombie's movement, instead you just control it easily.  Now I dream up horde base ideas, and then never bother to build them because I already know if they'll work or not.  That wasn't the case in A16.

Also, my favorite mod of all time (Valmar's Overhaul, I really loved how improving your skills was what unlocked more recipes) was for A16, so...I'm a bit biased there.

That said, there are changes since A16 that I like, so if I could just have unpredictable zombie AI again, I'd be fairly happy, I imagine.

As an aside:  As someone who actually doesn't like survival games particularly, I'd have probably put less than a hundred hours into 7 Days if it was a hardcore survival experience, instead of the thousands I have put in.  I don't mind that kind of thing once in a while, but it's not something I want to play regularly.  I largely bought the game because I was looking for Minecraft with more challenge, and there weren't really any Minecraft mods at the time that made any sort of base defense necessary.

Alpha 16.4 was my first experience with the game.  And I absolutely hated it at the beginning.  I was dying constantly and just did not know the systems.  It took forever for me to get used to the game.  I ended up digging tunnels between all of our different bases, leveled up enough to actually survive combat lol.

We had so many bases spread out all over the world it was great.  We also had a good 4-6 people playing together in the world, each of us had our own little mega structures we were building.

That is why i will always love A16.  BUT i prefer Version 1 the most so far.  The loot balance, the crafting, the new armor system.  I would love for a few more weapon types within the same tiers, as well as other vehicles.  other than that i am good.

Vanilla is for the masses, and appears targeted for the 9-12 year old.  If you want a more challenging 7d2d experience, try some of the overhaul mods.  Last I checked, Ravenhearst mod had a component of learn by doing.  I especially enjoyed its slower character progression thru the skill trees where you really appreciated every advance in the weapon tiers.  Some find it too grindy, but for me the difficulty (more difficult and numerous zombie spawns) and pacing was more immersive and enjoyable.  If you want more complex and tiered crafting, there's Undead Legacy.  Not sure the gameplay is more difficult, but it's got a gorgeous UI and definitely a deeper technology tree and resulting more immersive game experience.  There was also the True Survival mod, much more difficult than vanilla, and much more survival oriented (duh).  But none of them are yet available for release 1.0.  As they're all heavy overhaul mods it takes considerable time to adapt them to each new release.  Hopefully, it's just a matter of time.

I'm not a fan of R1.0's fixed trader discovery progression, where Rekt is always in the forrest, Jen in the Burnt biome, Joel in the wasteland, etc. and you have to "discover" them in that order.   Much preferred not knowing who was where and having the trader's "special" mission send you to the next nearest trader as opposed to the next biome in the list order.  If TFP want players to experience all the biomes, a much more natural and interesting way would be to have different items found in different biomes, be it loot, or raw resources, or special ingredients required to build something.  Potentially even better would be quests that advanced some sort of story from one biome to another (to get players to explore all biome types) and not just a single linear story that hits all biomes (which is currently: discover the next trader on this fixed list), but many separate smaller stories that build altogether (in any order) to create the player's full epic adventure.  I suppose that's rather difficult where the only npc's the player interacts with are traders.  But maybe with bandits there'll be a few more twists on the clear/fetch quests that merchants currently offer and with the potential to build more complex gameplay stories.

8 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Anyway, my preference for A16 is simply that horde nights (and consequently base building) were much more fun because they weren't easily exploitable. 

I think it's the other way around. They used to try to run to you in the most direct trajectory. And if they couldn't get to you, they would just stand as close to you as possible and do nothing. Which allowed them to just throw bombs at that bunch. Now they don't stand there, they try to run and break things.

1 hour ago, Suxar said:

I think it's the other way around. They used to try to run to you in the most direct trajectory. And if they couldn't get to you, they would just stand as close to you as possible and do nothing. Which allowed them to just throw bombs at that bunch. Now they don't stand there, they try to run and break things.

Yes, there were exploits back in A16 as well.  But if you didn't do a stilt base or underground base, it was actually a challenge to try and control the horde.  Now I could do a day 7000 horde with a wooden base if I wanted to, and I wouldn't be in any danger.

4 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Yes, there were exploits back in A16 as well.  But if you didn't do a stilt base or underground base, it was actually a challenge to try and control the horde.  Now I could do a day 7000 horde with a wooden base if I wanted to, and I wouldn't be in any danger.

It's still a challenge for many players to control a horde, regardless of the AI version and base design.

At the end of the day its nice players can approach the game, with their favorite alpha, do their favorite things, and leverage their game mechanic knowledge in whatever way.

They took away learn-by-doing and gave us books, which was a huge immersion-killer.  They took away weapon parts and gave us mods, and while I would have preferred both, it was tolerable (although having more slots on higher tier equipment makes no sense).  Then we got magazines, which turned the game into "Mailbox Raider".  They took away clothes.  They took away head items, forcing you to sacrifice a mod slot for your cigar or what-have-you.  Weather barely matters now.  Static defenses are worthless - a concrete log spike lasts about 10 seconds.  You can't even rotate boxes vertically and they don't have the text on every side, either.  We have magical armor sets like every other generic arena shooter.  New T5 instances are terrible..there's no way to solve some of them without tunneling through the place, which takes forever without an auger.  I can't imagine how bad T6 must be.  They made male character faces even more horrible and took away body customization.  Biome and trader progression is on a rail.  Next up will undoubtedly be skins you pay for.  Except for the "tap or hold" options for running, nothing about the game's development is improving.  And now my game controls are f'd up on PC and nothing will fix it, not even full re-installs and repairs.  At this point its obvious that console gamers are all the devs care about.

Edited by bandersnatch (see edit history)