This is supposed to be a horror game.

Deo

What the fxk happened to this game. Eat candy and take no fall damage? Randomly jump 10 blocks into he air because magic. Parkour makes you into spiderman. Why did they remove wall climbing zombies? @%$# this game. What happened to zombie survival horror game. The graphics look better but it looks less scary now. The new feral white zombie looks like a McDonalds toy, the old one looked actually scary.

Who told you that this is a horror game? The official description is "7 Days to Die is an open-world game that is a unique combination of first-person shooter, survival horror, tower defense, and role-playing games."

Lol.  Other than zombies and the occasional jump scare mechanics, this isn't really a horror game.  It can be called that because of the zombies, but it really isn't, imo.  If you want horror, there are going to be far better options.  This game is what it is... a mixed genre game designed to be fun for a wide audience.  Horror has a very narrow audience and so can focus narrowly in how it is designed in order to fit that expectation.  This game isn't ever going to fit a single genre as well as a game that is designed for a single genre.  And that isn't a bad thing.  Either enjoy the game for what it is, or don't play it.  Simple.

Btw, I don't use candy... ever.  And parkour isn't 10m, so no reason to exaggerate.  And if you want to, you can even look at parkour as just being someone jumping up and grabbing a ledge and pulling themselves up but without the animation for that.  In the end, it's the same effect.  Instead of jumping 1m, at max you can jump 3.  In a game where you pull yourself up, getting up 3m wouldn't be unusual at all.

I've had freak out moments in the new version thanks to entirely new or even slightly reworked POIs and the new ambient noises of the zombies. I've found it very much more tense to play by myself, doing a big building as night falls. It reminds me of the first time I played and everything was new. Weird to think how I memorised so many POIs in the past, and really great to find a new building and explore it for the very first time.

As for the candy, I don't use it simply because I hate coming to rely on any kind of booster. In Bad Company 2 I swore off the magnum ammo that the majority of other players were using, 'cos if I came to think the magnum ammo was giving me the edge I needed then I knew I'd never change it out.

On 7/22/2024 at 3:00 PM, RipClaw said:

Who told you that this is a horror game? The official description is "7 Days to Die is an open-world game that is a unique combination of first-person shooter, survival horror, tower defense, and role-playing games."

Erm you just said it yourself "Survival horror" As for the tower defense part, i'd say not really. You want a zombie game with actual tower defense? play Night of the Dead, it has nightly zombie hordes by default. Also has proper traps for a tower defense game which 7dtd sorely lacks to fit the genre. Not only that but with the new ai and how exploitable it is, its not really tower defense, its force them into killbox to get mowed down while they don't damage the base at all otherwise. It USED to be tower defense back in a16.4 as blood moon zombies came from random sides each wave, and you could not herd them into a specific spot, you had to defend all sides. As for its role playing parts it also does that very poorly, with a poorly thought out skill system. Just because you have a rpg like skill system does not make it a rpg, you need story and an actual plot.

I've seen mods with actual story Age of Oblivion to name one, it has a actual story with boss fights and custom boss poi's and its all made by 1 person by themselves. Has lots of custom enemies and gear too.

7dtd is honestly pretty much garbage in vanilla without mods in todays version, its just not any fun anymore best time i've had with vanilla was 16.4 as that was the best skill system its ever had and its just gone downhill since.

Some stuff the game needs:

Better natural feeling progression instead of this forced stuff the game has now, you want us to go to other biomes? give us a reason to, make each biome have a special material that only drops there and is used to make special gear related to that biome that is better than the generic iron/steel stuff. Most survival games do this. You want better gear? you need to go to harder biomes to upgrade and craft it. Also remove the town size limitations, and restore the randomized traders back. You can set it so 1 of each proper trader is forced to spawn in its proper biome while every other spawn is randomized.

Bigger inventory size, I'm sorry but with how slow vehicles are and how tiny the player inventory is it needs a drastic size increase, I'd say maybe add at least 15 more slots, I use a mod that ups it from vanilla size to 60 slots, and it just feels right, its still easy to fill it and have to toss things, but the extra 15 slots is some real quality of life.

Better zombie progression, the hp jumps between normal to ferals to radiated is kinda too big of a sudden jump. Could use some in between tiers. maybe 1 between normal and ferals, and 2 between ferals and full radiated.

More items and progression of those items. Steel has been the top tier material for well, a very long time, I been around from as far back as 10.2 and always remember steel and radiated enemies being the top tier and then nothing else, we need stuff above that. We also need more guns, don't need more ammo types, but we need more varied guns than the game has. We also need weapons to have a balance pass, as many of them just do far to little damage for being guns.

Being in a town at night used to be quite frightening and stressful, before we got agoraphobic zs . Now outdoors is safe 24/7 . This is by far the easiest game iteration yet hence the fast progression to rads. The days of early difficulty and proper hordes on big maps are long gone, probably never to return. All rad tank "horde nights" are stale and all of the games early promise is gone. 

Bandits wont add much, if we ever see them!

Not complaining, had more than enough fun over the years and earlier versions are still there for a better experience. 1.0 is graphically superior but mechanically inferior and has been for quite a while.

Let the nay sayers commence lol.

3 minutes ago, asmosnuts said:

Being in a town at night used to be quite frightening and stressful, before we got agoraphobic zs . Now outdoors is safe 24/7 . This is by far the easiest game iteration yet hence the fast progression to rads. The days of early difficulty and proper hordes on big maps are long gone, probably never to return. All rad tank "horde nights" are stale and all of the games early promise is gone. 

Bandits wont add much, if we ever see them!

Not complaining, had more than enough fun over the years and earlier versions are still there for a better experience. 1.0 is graphically superior but mechanically inferior and has been for quite a while.

Let the nay sayers commence lol.

I agree with you, thats why I say you need mods to make 1.0 actually be a fun game, its lacking in so many aspects.

3 hours ago, Scyris said:

Erm you just said it yourself "Survival horror"

You seem to miss out on the "unique combination" part. It is not a pure horror game. It is a mix of a multiple genres.

And just because it says something about horror doesn't necessarily mean that it has to meet the expectations of horror fans.

I'm honestly glad that it's not too horror-heavy because I don't like horror.

25 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

You seem to miss out on the "unique combination" part. It is not a pure horror game. It is a mix of a multiple genres.

And just because it says something about horror doesn't necessarily mean that it has to meet the expectations of horror fans.

I'm honestly glad that it's not too horror-heavy because I don't like horror.

Find me 1 game that is pure horror and nothing else. I'll wait.

2 hours ago, Scyris said:

I agree with you, thats why I say you need mods to make 1.0 actually be a fun game, its lacking in so many aspects.

I also really hate that this game has come to that. Requiring mods just to fix the game enough to make it enjoyable again. So sad. Honestly, at this point, I just want these devs to stop working on the game entirely so the modders can take over completely without having to worry about their mods being broken with each new update that releases. That way we can have a boat-load of mods to change the game back to the way we'd like it to be.

35 minutes ago, Fox said:

Since I don't like horror games, I don't know any horror games, but I'm pretty sure there are games where you just wander around in the dark and get jump scared by monsters. I can imagine that this will go down well with some people, especially with VR.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Scyris said:

Not only that but with the new ai and how exploitable it is, its not really tower defense, its force them into killbox to get mowed down

I generally tend to agree with you, but forcing enemies into a killbox is kind of the epitome of tower defense (I play a lot of tower defense games, and the tower defense aspect was what got me to buy the game in the first place).  It's just that we don't have the interesting variety of enemies and traps that a tower defense game needs to be good.

6 hours ago, Fox said:

Phantasmagoria

Remember that one from 1995?  :D

The horror part was the disk swapping.

47 minutes ago, Maharin said:

Phantasmagoria

Remember that one from 1995?  :D

The horror part was the disk swapping.

Nice try, but it has other tags / genres too, according to Steam, meaning, not pure as per RipClaw's definition.

Untitled.png.957e37b7436ae6ced188e4ad9e390b1f.png

2 minutes ago, Fox said:

Nice try, but it has other tags / genres too, according to Steam, meaning, not pure as per RipClaw's definition.

Untitled.png.957e37b7436ae6ced188e4ad9e390b1f.png

It was meant as a joke.  😁

In any case, whether or not there is a game that has only horror genre, there are clearly games where that is what the game is striving for.  This game isn't putting horror first and that is okay.  Horror is more of a minor genre in this game.

5 minutes ago, Riamus said:

It was meant as a joke.  😁

In any case, whether or not there is a game that has only horror genre, there are clearly games where that is what the game is striving for.  This game isn't putting horror first and that is okay.  Horror is more of a minor genre in this game.

It used to be a high priority though. Play older versions and you'll see what we mean. Going all the way back to Alpha 1, the game used to be intense with horror elements. Now, it's just comically bad.

Also, I wasn't familiar with that game, so I didn't know.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, Fox said:

It used to be a high priority though. Play older versions and you'll see what we mean. Going all the way back to Alpha 1, the game used to be intense with horror elements. Now, it's just comically bad.

Also, I wasn't familiar with that game, so I didn't know.

Yeah, but it has been moving away from that for a long time.  They are into memes and jokes and stuff a lot more than horror these days.

I've heard of Phantasmagoria but never played it.  I just knew it was a joke from what was said... that the horror was changing all of the disks.

It was on a lot of disks, as I recall.  I never played it, but I remember seeing ads.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that if this was a horror game, I'd have never bought it, since I dislike horror.

But I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't care that this is a zombie game (and think it could probably be a lot better if it wasn't beholden to zombies, but obviously that's never going to change.)

20 hours ago, Scyris said:

It USED to be tower defense back in a16.4 as blood moon zombies came from random sides each wave, and you could not herd them into a specific spot, you had to defend all sides.

Although they came from different directions, they clung together well into one group. Starting with A19 they stopped doing this.