Anybody else not seeing rabbits and chickens?

ElCabong

2 hours ago, arramus said:

Appearances have dropped from 25% chance (A21) to 5% chance 1.0. in relation to what else will appear. It's going to be a lot more scarce out there.

I think it was bumped that high in A20 in response to concerns about food scarcity on MP. It was a pretty knee-jerk fix which made food hilariously plentiful in SP games while only sorta fixing the problem in MP. They needed to do some kind of player entity weighting for animal spawning, but this was one of the times where quick and dirty ruled the day.

Changing it back? idk, it's probably fine in SP. MP is gonna really suck on new crowded servers.

22 hours ago, ElCabong said:

All I've found are snakes. Haven't seen any rabbits, chickens, or deer at night or during the day

So I probably shouldn't mention that I currently have 15 meat stews, 4 pumpkin pies, and 6 blueberry pies sitting in my food chest right now.....   😏

FYI, I have gotten a lot of meat without making it my number one priority.

Some things I been doing with the reduction of animal spawns:

• Keeping an eye open for any animals I find
  • Using my guns now to kill the animals - I don't use the bows as much as I want to guarantee I hit them every time
  • Look for unique POIs that might have animal spawns - like the Animal Horder POI
  • And I highly recommend - varying your diets people!  I currently got 16 farm plots that I keep planting all the seeds I find in the world into.  When I don't have meat, I make pumpkin pies.  When I don't have pumpkins, I make blueberry pies.  Doing this, I been able to keep ahead on food after going 1-2 days eating charred meat and grilled meat.

Not seeing a lot of wild animals in the regular Forest so far--not in the daytime, nor the nighttime.  I had to make a pit stop at a Dead Rooster to fill my pantry, as the very occasional chicken and rabbit wasn't cutting it.  I haven't seen a deer in the Forest, yet, though I know that they must exist since I've seen other players find them in their games.

Once I got my bicycle on Day 5 and started exploring the map a bit, I discovered that the Burnt Forest has animals GALORE (and is also very low-risk as far as zombies go).  I'd decided to spend an evening drifting through a small town on my bike to rob some mailboxes and wound up with a good deal of meat just by shooting all of the coyotes, boars and deer that happened to cross my path.  Definitely worth taking a late-night hunting trip to the Burnt Forest if you're worried about food.

Edited by Frozendreams (see edit history)

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

So I probably shouldn't mention that I currently have 15 meat stews, 4 pumpkin pies, and 6 blueberry pies sitting in my food chest right now.....   😏

FYI, I have gotten a lot of meat without making it my number one priority.

Some things I been doing with the reduction of animal spawns:

• Keeping an eye open for any animals I find
  • Using my guns now to kill the animals - I don't use the bows as much as I want to guarantee I hit them every time
  • Look for unique POIs that might have animal spawns - like the Animal Horder POI
  • And I highly recommend - varying your diets people!  I currently got 16 farm plots that I keep planting all the seeds I find in the world into.  When I don't have meat, I make pumpkin pies.  When I don't have pumpkins, I make blueberry pies.  Doing this, I been able to keep ahead on food after going 1-2 days eating charred meat and grilled meat.

Yep -- familiar POIs with animals have been my goto for meat and other animal resources, and I'm not sure if this is the desired approach to hunting or not. 

54 minutes ago, BloodDeacon said:

Yep -- familiar POIs with animals have been my goto for meat and other animal resources, and I'm not sure if this is the desired approach to hunting or not. 

I am familiar with these pois. But the first game I played I never saw any of them. I started a new game, well three of them to try various starting strategies, and I'm seeing rabbits and chickens now but they are kind of rare. 

In the towns no. But venturing outside of the town into the more forest area I've seen more chickens, rabbit's and deer. 

Maybe inside the towns and cities they just don't spawn as often as they used to which is fine. Makes more sense to find animals out in the wild. When I say sense as much sense as anything else in this games makes.