Hells_Janitor

I Am Legend
Light up the darkness 
A small mod that tries to emulate the movie of the same name.

SYNOPSIS:
Six billion people on Earth when the infection hit...

The Krippin Virus had a 90 percent kill rate; that's 5.4 BILLION people, dead. Crashed and bled out. Dead. Less than one percent immunity.

That left 12 million healthy people, like you. The other 588 MILLION turned into Dark Seekers, and then they got hungry, and they killed and fed on everybody. EVERYBODY!

Every single person that you or I have ever known is dead! DEAD!

THERE IS NO GOD!

ABOUT THE 'I AM LEGEND' MOD.
Zombies (Dark Seekers) DO NOT spawn in the wild during the day. You are free to move about the world, but be warned...

Buildings are DANGEROUS. They are filled with fast-moving enemies, and you'll need to be careful when looking for supplies.

There are no traders; all trader compounds have been abandoned.

When night falls, you'll want to be inside and well hidden. Dark Seekers will be out in force, and they're hungry ...

Changes from the vanilla game:
As stated above, no zombies spawn outside during the day.

All buildings have a minimum of "infested" levels of zombies. This can be increased via a new game options tab, to super infested, or ultra infested.

Zombies move QUICKLY, ALL THE TIME!

Come nightfall, there will be 5x the number of zombies that you would normally see in vanilla.

Feral sense is ON at night, with 50% more range than vanilla. If you want to avoid Darkseekers, you'll need to stay hidden and quiet.

There are NO TRADERS. If you generate a new world, there will be no traders spawned. If you use an existing world, all traders will be replaced with abandoned compounds.

The chance of finding a water filter for a dew collector is DRASTICALLY INCREASED from vanilla. Not guaranteed from a broken dew collector, but a high chance.

Action skills replace most tool and weapon perks. Attribute skills cost the same amount of points as vanilla, but perks cost 2 points instead of 1.

The loot probability for books and magazines is tied to the action skill for that tool or weapon. The higher your skill, the better your chance of finding books or magazines for that tool or weapon.

Headlamps and night vision goggles have been removed.

You spawn in with a backpack, which you can open to give you your starting items.

Main differences between the movie and the mod:
While Darkseekers will not SPAWN outside, they will chase you out of buildings, and follow you outside, regardless of the time of day.

Unfortunately, you don't have a pet dog. Sorry.

You can't "capture" a zombie to look for a cure. You just play the game as you normally would.

Hope you have fun with it!

CONTRIBUTORS:

Action Skills template - JoeSloeMoe

Bloodmoon Server status - Kanaverum

No Traders mod - PULLMYLEVER

WMMGameOptions - w00kien00kie

Also thanks to Frantic_Dan and redbeardt for the base XML code for HUD changes, and thanks to Khaine for the basis of the action skills feature.

Download here: GitHub - HellsJanitor/I-Am-Legend: Light up the darkness

or get it from the mod launcher: 7d2dmodlauncher.org

This sounds very cool. I have a visual disability, so the loss of a headlamp might be an issue for me. Is there an easy way to edit it back in? Would creative menu still have it available?

Edit: NM, tried to install and got so many red errors I feared for my own life, lol. 

Edited by ZombieMikeG (see edit history)

On 3/9/2024 at 12:35 PM, ZombieMikeG said:

This sounds very cool. I have a visual disability, so the loss of a headlamp might be an issue for me. Is there an easy way to edit it back in? Would creative menu still have it available?

Edit: NM, tried to install and got so many red errors I feared for my own life, lol. 

Red errors? Genuinely curious as to why - this mod is xml only 🤷‍♂️ If you started a fresh save with it, I'm struggling to understand where the errors would come from.

Also, while the mod was meant to be played without headlamps and NVG, I didn't disable them from the creative menu - so if you need them, that's where they'll be.

I like the idea behind this mod. You could use Romero style zombies and also do 'Omegaman' or 'The Last Man on Earth' versions of I Am Legend without changing any mechanics, just skins, POIs vehicles etc to match the romero stuff, all 3 of those movies look and feel the same, and your mechanics would make it scary as hell for players.

Also you are not using traders,  and while some may groan, it makes challenge style maps a lot more brutal and IMO a lot more worthwhile. Ive got 2 exisiting 'All City' maps, i can update for play with this mod. I will look for you in Discord. Nice work!

10 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

I like the idea behind this mod. You could use Romero style zombies and also do 'Omegaman' or 'The Last Man on Earth' versions of I Am Legend without changing any mechanics, just skins, POIs vehicles etc to match the romero stuff, all 3 of those movies look and feel the same, and your mechanics would make it scary as hell for players.

Also you are not using traders,  and while some may groan, it makes challenge style maps a lot more brutal and IMO a lot more worthwhile. Ive got 2 exisiting 'All City' maps, i can update for play with this mod. I will look for you in Discord. Nice work!

I didn't even think about any of this stuff 😂

No traders definitely makes it more of a challenge - I think it's a nice risk/reward for a mod like this. You're not going to survive unless you go loot POI's, and POI's being more dangerous than usual IS the challenge. In my testing, I played with loot respawn OFF too, so you're forced to go explore, and the more POI's you clear, the further you have to go, or the bigger the POI you have to loot.

On paper, it looks like it's easy (no zombies in the wild at all) but it's really quite the challenge, and I think it's really fun.

4 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

I didn't even think about any of this stuff 😂

This is why I will do one off modlets and mods for other players.  They give me ideas to incorporate into my own mods.

Looks like a really exciting and challenging mod, right up my street! ..however, the removal of HL mod and NVG puts me off a bit. The weapon flashlight is garbage and I hate it. Is the hand held flashlight still in?

17 hours ago, Worrun said:

Looks like a really exciting and challenging mod, right up my street! ..however, the removal of HL mod and NVG puts me off a bit. The weapon flashlight is garbage and I hate it. Is the hand held flashlight still in?

yes it is. All other lights are still in the mod :) 

Small update:

Changelog/updates for v 1.0.1

The loot probability for books and magazines is now tied to the MAGAZINE for that tool or weapon. The more magazines you read, the better chance of finding books or magazines for that tool or weapon.

• 1 month later...

If the headshot only feature is active from options menu, do Z still take normal damage from fire, electricity & explosives etc?

EDIT: think the answer is no as used spike trap and Z took no damage.

Also after starting game I am coming across Z in the wild. Is that usual at start (they just don't respawn after death) or should there be none outside at all?

After playing for while coming across loads of Z in wild and outside in town? 

Playing with some mods but only QOL and UI. Nothing to change spawns. Stripped out all mods just in case and started fresh game with just legend modpack. Getting wild spawns from the off?

Edited by nickuk01 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, nickuk01 said:

If the headshot only feature is active from options menu, do Z still take normal damage from fire, electricity & explosives etc?

EDIT: think the answer is no as used spike trap and Z took no damage.

Also after starting game I am coming across Z in the wild. Is that usual at start (they just don't respawn after death) or should there be none outside at all?

After playing for while coming across loads of Z in wild and outside in town? 

Playing with some mods but only QOL and UI. Nothing to change spawns. Stripped out all mods just in case and started fresh game with just legend modpack. Getting wild spawns from the off?

Yeah, I don't know why you'd be getting wild spawns from the get-go. They're only supposed to spawn at night ...

Not to be presumptuous, but you have definitely NOT got any other mods running with this one? It's the only thing I can think of that might make the mod not function as intended ...

10 minutes ago, Hells_Janitor said:

Yeah, I don't know why you'd be getting wild spawns from the get-go. They're only supposed to spawn at night ...

Not to be presumptuous, but you have definitely NOT got any other mods running with this one? It's the only thing I can think of that might make the mod not function as intended ...

Hi HJ I did have but only QOL  ones that not affect spawning. Just to make sure I ran your mod vanilla and was the same with wild spawns happening. I just watched Youtube streamer who showcased your mod 4 weeks ago and he has same issue with daytime spawns happening. So does not seem to be just me having same issue? Not sure why though 

6 hours ago, nickuk01 said:

Hi HJ I did have but only QOL  ones that not affect spawning. Just to make sure I ran your mod vanilla and was the same with wild spawns happening. I just watched Youtube streamer who showcased your mod 4 weeks ago and he has same issue with daytime spawns happening. So does not seem to be just me having same issue? Not sure why though 

Absolutely no idea why. Whenever I played it, there were no wild spawns during the day at all 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Hell-Fire said:

Out of curiosity, can we loot solar cells in this mod or have to go completely on gas generators?

At the time of writing, it's gas generators only. I need to look through the loot tables and/or crafting progression and see if/where I can add solar cells/banks

Hey HJ so by way of update reinstalled and left out the bloodmoon server mod files that were packaged (as don't think I personally need them playing solo only). Plus I turn bloodmoon off. 

I don't know if or why that would be the cause of the issue I was experiencing with wild spawns but so far the mod has been behaving as it should be... no wild Z at all!