Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

4 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Same here, was a bit confused at first, but it happens on a second game I play with a friend. 

Yeah I thought the whole reason they were called Screamers was that they screamed to summon other zombies. Not just brought them along right away.

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

Been noticing with 1.0 that Screamers seem to spawn more often, and earlier, and that they don't even need to scream now in order to bring a bunch of their friends to come party at my place. Another thing I've noticed that screamer hordes will come and wreck your stuff if you're not home, whether you're in or even NEAR that chunk or not.

I was wondering if they would become aggressive on my stuff while away, so I started shutting the door when I leave, LOL.

I previously had NEVER had Screamers show up at my base, now it is a regular occurrence.

5 minutes ago, Dreyseth said:

I was wondering if they would become aggressive on my stuff while away, so I started shutting the door when I leave, LOL.

I previously had NEVER had Screamers show up at my base, now it is a regular occurrence.

At our base, they actually broke through our outer wall (repurposed POI that came with an outside wall) while no one was home.

1 hour ago, Dreyseth said:

I kind of like this change keeps you on your toes so you can always expect zombies coming over rather than just periods of quiet

I feel like this is the fun pimps way of increasing more zombies

Still need a wild zombie spawn setting but it's a start

1 hour ago, Space4Ace said:

They finally answered:

"Yes keyboard and mouse are supported on both consoles"

Going to be on controller. But, props!! Sony wouldn't list the game, if they didn't intend on releasing.😁 Can't wait!! See you there all and @Adam the Waster

8 hours ago, faatal said:

Eric did the hazmat sounds.

It tries to spawn 2 to 4 traders per biome and it would always be the same trader types per biome. Currently there is no guarantee of a trader in a biome. Traders need gateways to spawn. The smaller the world/biome, the less towns, so the less gateways, and the straight gateway conflicts as it does not have space for a trader. Yesterday I reduced the weight bonus on the 3 straights and limited them each to 1 per world, which should help. When we get full biome progression in and/or story it will need some way to force a trader in each biome.

Well, thank you Eric! Your sound design has been stellar thus far.

And thanks for the second response, man. Love the work you do and what you've picked up with regards to RWG. The explanation really does help with understanding for me, so really, I mean my thanks. It's very interesting to read and get a peek behind the curtain of the game as someone who isn't a game developer. I'm totally okay with making a million maps—ironically, right after I sent that reply, I managed to get a good one in with my silly "requirements" about six maps into making randoms loool.

Hope y'all get some good rest and relaxation after Version 1.0 goes stable. Y'all deserve it. :D

21 hours ago, Exxodous said:

Day 49, 64  zeds on horde night and our base is only firearms.  We are swimming in ammo.  Infested quests have our coffers FULL

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was specifically referring to the day 7 horde. The first horde.

On 7/13/2024 at 1:52 PM, Riamus said:

You should probably post this to the suggestions forum so it doesn't get lost.  😁

I did day 7 with guns... Granted, it was  Q1 9mm and Q4 hunting rifle and so I ran through all my 9mm before the end, but I did fine with that.  But it would be a challenge for new players.  I think the long lasting horde night on day 7 is a bit much.  Of course, I was on 2 hour days, which made it last twice as long. 

I agree that forest biome would have larger towns, at least as an option.  I'm playing with larger towns in my game and it is far better than the RWG map I started with. 

Having a road go straight through a town greatly reduces variation in the towns, especially small towns.  The tile system gives you variety in how things look, but if you have a town with a road straight through, you lose a lot of the variability and can lost out on some POI that won't fit on such tiles.  It is something where gameplay trumps realism.

They said they are working on more stamps.  But an underground river is extremely unlikely.  Even getting tunnels has a low chance of happening, so rivers underground are even less.  Also, any gaps underground can break stability of POI and bases, so not a great option even if it would be cool to see.  That said, you can make a wilderness POI that has an underground lake, river, cavern, etc.  You just have to make sure the ceiling stability is good. 

You won't get that with RWG.  It is intended to be a simple and easy to use generator.  For such control, you will need a third party generator or else make the map by hand.  You *can* paint the biome in any image editor for a RWG map, but it can impact the new trader progression stuff to some extent.

2 hour days will give you more time to collect ammo though the night will be long.

The Navezgane map does the road travel well except you don't get the randomness. I guess what I am looking for is a bit of both. The ease of travel through towns but the complexity of the random tiles as the town spreads out from the main road.

I imagine anything underground could be difficult to ensure it wasn't too unstable. The POIs that do this already are where I got the idea. The difference between the stamp and the POI is that the stamp will look natural to the terrain and the POI will have a road leading up to it. An underground river POI could be interesting though at a smaller scale.

3rd party may be the way to go. I will have to wait and see what comes out.

19 minutes ago, falloutcloud said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was specifically referring to the day 7 horde. The first horde.

2 hour days will give you more time to collect ammo though the night will be long.

The Navezgane map does the road travel well except you don't get the randomness. I guess what I am looking for is a bit of both. The ease of travel through towns but the complexity of the random tiles as the town spreads out from the main road.

I imagine anything underground could be difficult to ensure it wasn't too unstable. The POIs that do this already are where I got the idea. The difference between the stamp and the POI is that the stamp will look natural to the terrain and the POI will have a road leading up to it. An underground river POI could be interesting though at a smaller scale.

3rd party may be the way to go. I will have to wait and see what comes out.

Twice the time to collect the ammo and yet twice the ammo used to last the longer night, so not much different.  At least for the first horde night.  This change more as you get further in and can make ammo more quickly, but the first horde night will be roughly comparable regarding ammo between 1 hour and 2 hour days.

I don't use RWG except to test it like with my first 1.0 game, so maybe I'm wrong with this, but I believe that if you leave off the driveway part, you will not get a road to the wilderness POI.  No need for it to be a stamp.  Besides, stamps are a terrain heightmap feature, meaning it shows the ground level of the terrain and nothing underground.  You'd need it to be either a prefab (POI or decoration) or else there needs to be something like a perlin generation of underground tunnels separate from terrain generation.  But the difficulty is the stability.  With a custom POI, you can control stability as long as no one starts building on top of it or making significant changes that affect that stability.  But with a random generation of underground tunnels, such control is going to be difficult to accomplish.  Maybe not impossible, but very difficult.  Still, I'd love to see random underground tunnels, caves, etc.

3 hours ago, Space4Ace said:

Наконец они ответили:

«Да, клавиатура и мышь поддерживаются на обеих консолях»

Where does the information come from? 🤨🤨🤨

29 minutes ago, Mikhail Popkov said:

Откуда информация? 🤨 🤨 🤨

7 days to die gave an answer on Twitter to some person, although I personally asked them the same question about 10 times, and I was ignored.👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼Screenshot_20240716_094254.thumb.jpg.1ca0063cc099238716dad8c48d1980d5.jpg Well, the hell with them, the main thing is I got my answer and was satisfied 

On 7/14/2024 at 1:16 AM, DocRussel said:

Yes, 1.0 is a full release which is a prerequisite for console launch.  Also why there was a price hike on Steam.  While not common, this is an official release but not gold as admitted by TFP.

it's still in experimental, hence all the hotfixes.  it's not set to be released until later this month.

9 hours ago, HB_H4wk said:

@faatal Would be nice for some damaged curved parts. For say broken pipeline or sewers.

Allan does shapes.

8 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Been noticing with 1.0 that Screamers seem to spawn more often, and earlier, and that they don't even need to scream now in order to bring a bunch of their friends to come party at my place. Another thing I've noticed that screamer hordes will come and wreck your stuff if you're not home, whether you're in or even NEAR that chunk or not.

When screamers scream has not been changed, but there can be two of them, so maybe the other one screamed?

When a chunk is not loaded, blocks in it can't be changed and if a zombie was there, it would fall off the world.

28 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Can't wait to see yall too bros

Oh no... does this mean?

It means nothing.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, faatal said:

When screamers scream has not been changed, but there can be two of them, so maybe the other one screamed?

When a chunk is not loaded, blocks in it can't be changed and if a zombie was there, it would fall off the world.

Usually 1-3 screamers, none of them screamed. They just showed up with their afterparty in tow. As for loaded chunks, at what point would they unload? I would think if I'm 4-5KM away from my base, the chunk shouldn't be loaded.

25 minutes ago, faatal said:

Does the actual scream sound summon the horde, or just them being alerted to you? What if they see you but are too far away for the sound to play due to the changes made to them playing their alert sounds when closer? Or is that not how it works?

40 minutes ago, faatal said:

Allan does shapes.

It means nothing.

Awww man :( no zombees

59 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Не могу дождаться, когда увижу вас, братаны

О нет ... это значит?

Screenshot_20240716_000015_X.jpg

Is the giant bumblebee coming back to the game? 🤩😍😀

I had another screamer showed up when I played last night unannounced for another house party, but I was able to dispatch her quickly enough to prevent her from calling her friends to join.

The previous screamer group had 3 screamers in it and I did hear the screams, so I expected there to be a group (there was).

One of the main differences in the last screamer party was that I had placed shutters on the windows.  Not sure if that helped, but I don't think she ever detected me prior to me getting a jump on her.