Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

39 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

You're not the only one but shhhh about Jerry's Fill, that's my go-to base!!

Speaking of, and to keep on topic, how easy would it be to add more POIs to RWG towns in the forest, without creating cities or new districts/completely screwing up RWG? It's a personal preference, but I do like it when the smaller towns have at least one big-name store in them, it feels more accurate (for instance, my town has a Big Name Brand that shares the same color scheme as Vault-Tec, within walking distance of my house, but my town is very small). Is it as simply as appending the POI list with a different district or like, tag or what it is they're called?

I've also found, especially in my current save, there are more Tier 2 and 3 POIs in the town I'm in than Tier 1, which leads me to having to go go 1-2km away just to find even a wilderness POI that's a first-tier; it makes it very.... tedious to do quests, to be polite about it, since you don't get the bicycle until the end of the quest (for free) or unless you perk into vehicles (sucks for people who only play one-attribute runs, like full agility or full fortitude, etc). My question is, are there really so little Tier 1's as of current?

Maybe to off-set it, since there are a lot of remnants in forest towns, maybe add in an Infested Remnant quest type? Clear it out but the reward is worse than a fetch quest, because there's only like 4 zombies total (or sometimes none at all). That way all the remnant POIs (Tier 0, I think) could be in the random pool for quests... or would that make it too easy to complete the first tier of trader quests?

There are plenty of tier 1 POI.  I think the problem is that the forest towns are all country towns now.  That district might just not be a good district for a starter town, because of variety and limited tier 1 POI that are tagged to spawn in that district.  I don't think they originally designed that district to be a starter town district.  They may need to adjust what POI can spawn in that district to increase the variety and number of tier 1 POI.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Strangely we don't see many screamers. I wrenched a lot and haven't seen even one while doing that.

How can that be? I am not aware of any setting or mode that would influence frequency.

it's probably the changes they made in the most recent hotfix to screamers spawning.  i was hitting wood with my stone ax on day 6 and had two radiated screamers to deal with.

Is anybody else noticing this seemingly new behaviour in 1.0?  Zombie jumps a gap, then immediately moves to the side to allow another zombie to jump there.

In these 2 pics, the ledge is only 1 block wide.  He moves to the edge so that another zombie can jump there.  It also prevents you from hitting him since you can't attack through the smaller slit (melee at least).  It forces you to go forward to attack through the centre gap.  Then of course, he cheap shots ya.

Spoiler

jump.jpgside.jpg

Edited by Fisher (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, GRITTY said:

it's probably the changes they made in the most recent hotfix to screamers spawning.  i was hitting wood with my stone ax on day 6 and had two radiated screamers to deal with.

What level are you to have radiated screamers on Day 6?

I am on Day 19 and I only have regular screamers.

53 minutes ago, Fisher said:

Is anybody else noticing this seemingly new behaviour in 1.0?  Zombie jumps a gap, then immediately moves to the side to allow another zombie to jump there.

In these 2 pics, the ledge is only 1 block wide.  He moves to the edge so that another zombie can jump there.  It also prevents you from hitting him since you can't attack through the smaller slit (melee at least).  It forces you to go forward to attack through the centre gap.  Then of course, he cheap shots ya.

Hide contents

jump.jpgside.jpg

The walking sideways thing has always been a problem when you give them a full block. The lateral movement can be a problem when you just use rectangular poles. That said these bases are inherently cheesy so not sure the Dev thread is the place to post this. Cheesy bases not working as well after updates should not be entirely unexpected. One, Devs aren’t going to tune the AI so it doesn’t break prior cheese bases. Two, sometimes the AI will be tuned to counter some types of cheese.

Edited by Kosmic Kerman (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

What level are you to have radiated screamers on Day 6?

I am on Day 19 and I only have regular screamers.

i don't remember my exact level and game stage but it was day 6.  to give you some perspective, currently i'm on day 9, level 24, and my game stage is 64...

3 hours ago, Fisher said:

Reveal hidden contents

jump.jpgside.jpg

It could be related to the changes that allow zombies to push other zombies up.  It may also let them push others to the side.

10 hours ago, Riamus said:

I love that POI but haven't tried infestation yet.  I completed it as tier 5 using my trusty Q6 steel spear that I made.  No guns at all.  Fun stuff.

I noticed last Alpha that perception does very well in Army/CDC type POIs where you're guaranteed a high number of soldier zombies. The armour piercing abilities makes them noticably less tanky and much easier to kill than with other weapon loadouts.

I kind of wish there was more of this - feeling like build choices have made you particularly good at certain opposition/environments without feeling overpowered or overly weak against the rest. Equally doing things like 'I'm a shotgun user about to clear an army camp, should probably loadout with slugs not buckshot' feels like being rewarded for smart choices (Or would if slugs weren't worse on armour than buckshot, which I'm really hoping gets fixed).

23 hours ago, faatal said:

If you set the volume to Wander mode.

Just to follow up on this reply - if you're trying to modify existing POIs, then I'm almost positive this isn't something you can do via XPath or anything like that. It's all done through the prefab editor.

So in whatever POIs you want sleepers to be set to wander, you'll have to open those POIs in the editor, change the sleeper volume type, and then save the prefab. You have to do this individually per prefab. Also, this only affects your local copy and it will be overwritten on the next game update.

It would be nice if there was some kind of XPath for POIs, but there isn't, and it's not something that is easy to implement.

If you're making your own POI then go for it.

...Anyway, @faatal I wanted to make a request for RWG. Right now we are locked into specific "blueprints" for RWG biomes - center forest for example. I was hoping that it would be possible to allow people to make their own blueprints. Specifically, I would like to see a more "real world" like biome map where the northern part of the map is snow, and the southern part of the map is desert.

(Sorry if this has already been covered, I didn't have a chance to read all the comments.)

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Thaledwyn said:

Am I the only one, that feels that RWG starter towns now all have the same buildings somehow?

- No more small Pass'n'Gas, just Jerry's Fill over and over

- Always Butcher Pete

- Always a Police station

And regarding map randomness:

1.) Could you add a "classic" RWG mode:

- Without the given circle/line forms? Just random layout like in A21?

- With being able to do a (for example) snow only map again?

- If trader routes will not work there: It's ok. Just give a warning.

2.) Could you add an option for "Mega City" or maybe "Cities per biome" and "City size?

Small towns in RWG now have some rural tiles added as we noticed a lack of POI types in forest as some only spawn in rural. I added a rural percent value, which allows us to scale down the full ring of rurals around smaller towns.

Time is very short for 1.0, so there may not be any additional options added to RWG now. Maybe later.

23 minutes ago, faatal said:

Small towns in RWG now have some rural tiles added as we noticed a lack of POI types in forest as some only spawn in rural. I added a rural percent value, which allows us to scale down the full ring of rurals around smaller towns.

Time is very short for 1.0, so there may not be any additional options added to RWG now. Maybe later.

If I may offer some technical advice? Stay away from C# enums for game options. It locks everyone into specific values, since even with Harmony, you can't add new values to enums. Better to use const string values.

Like, for example, WorldBuilder.BiomeLayout. :) 

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

7 more days!!! To die!!! Hahaha

Also its my birthday so... yeah me

happy birthday shiii, live it up... also its 7 mo' days!!! the itching is finally slowly concludin'

( which is obviously a lie cause it seems the closer we get the more irritated nd excited i am)

Edited by MysticalTreyy (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Morloc said:

That seems a bit overly nasty?

Even the feral wight in your solo T2 would be rough. What level are you?

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

To this time: Level 19 / game stage 36 (around day 10 I think)

The feral mutated jumped out of the cinema screen in the basement and we had some fun kiting rounds around his house with my lvl4 stone spear and lvl1 pipe rifle... Also tried some runs inside but he destroyed my upgraded wooden block with one hit... 😅

Edited by Thaledwyn (see edit history)

3 hours ago, faatal said:

100% understandable. Take your time to finish 1.0 😄

9 hours ago, Fisher said:

Hide contents

jump.jpgside.jpg

Turn your scaffolding ladder blocks by 90 degrees and you'll be able to hit them when they have moved sideways.

10 hours ago, Fisher said:

Yes, same issue at my base.  I have 4 blocks of side centered pole as a tightrope for them to get to me, nothing else to stand on outside, and they still stand side by side.  I used this in A21 and had no such issues.  I'll find a way around it.

Edited by DocRussel (see edit history)

Since we only play the local co-op on my PS five for seven days to die we’re very disappointed to see that the two players split screen mode has been eliminated. I’m sure we are not the only ones who play local games. Perhaps sometime in the future, the split screen Local can be added to the new update. Until then, I guess we’re gonna have to stick with the old version of the game. 

17 minutes ago, CJA said:

Since we only play the local co-op on my PS five for seven days to die we’re very disappointed to see that the two players split screen mode has been eliminated. I’m sure we are not the only ones who play local games. Perhaps sometime in the future, the split screen Local can be added to the new update. Until then, I guess we’re gonna have to stick with the old version of the game. 

Most likely, consoles will need to get serious hardware upgrades to be able to do split screen gaming for 7 Days to Die.  If you stop to think about it, your PS5 has to run 3 different instances of the game when you are playing 7 Days to Die - the server, Player 1, and Player 2.  TFP did a lot of work to make the game able to run on Consoles and the processing requirements for 2 player split screen on consoles is just not possible with the hardware today.

Even with the PC version, you can have issues when you expand the number of players connecting.  Dedicated servers can accommodate more players than someone hosting a Co-Op game on their computer.

Improvements in optimization in the future may allow split screen - but the developers know more about what is possible and what isn't.  Me personally, I don't think they will be able to do split screen with the 7 Days to Die version that is being developed today without sacrifices to the PC version (though I be happy if TFP prove me wrong).

Question; Is the crossplay just crossplay between consoles or does this also include PC to Console?

If I put up a public hosted server will the consoles be able to connect to it?

Thank you very much in advance.

2 minutes ago, klaxxios said:

Question; Is the crossplay just crossplay between consoles or does this also include PC to Console?

It will come out later on Q4 of this year 

3 minutes ago, klaxxios said:

for right its onlu gone console to console and pc to pc. they said that it b done in one of there later updates tho