genius idea to ruin the game of 4 people

s2_de_Paula

70 days of mining, the devs must find it funny, on a day that is NOT the day of the attack, to send dozens of zombies to an underground hideout to DESTROY everything we have built, especially the forge and all the material collected, if it were the day of the attack would be ok, but I went to the bathroom and when I came back the zombies came directly to attack the characters, SINCE WE ARE HIDING AND WITHOUT MAKING NOISE, brilliant idea Devs, GENIUS idea

Edited by Crater Creator
Goodbye post (see edit history)

It sounds like either a wandering horde, or your activities summoned a screamer who saw one of the players and invited her friends over.

In either case that's by design. 7D2D is not supposed to be a game where you can just go to the bathroom and expect nothing to happen.

We tested it, standing still, inside an underground bunker, the woman in white always appears, knocks down the door, goes down into the bunker and screams, every time. There is a skill called stealthing, which presupposes that we can "hide", even for 4 minutes, it doesn't make sense for an NPC to always know where we are and persistently destroy the base to be able to "scream", this game, when finished, will continue to be like this? Is it healthy for this to ruin the game for people who just want to have fun because you simply "think" it should be like that? I'm sorry but your opinions are not ours here, and we would like a game without an NPC chasing us because it brings "excitement" to the game

37 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

It sounds like either a wandering horde, or your activities summoned a screamer who saw one of the players and invited her friends over.

In either case that's by design. 7D2D is not supposed to be a game where you can just go to the bathroom and expect nothing to happen.

it's not a group walking around the map randomly, the woman in white appears every 2, 3 minutes, knocks down the door, goes down into the bunker and screams, we tested this and 3 times she did the same thing, for us here it's a bad NPC programmed, if it is an NPC that the Devs consider "healthy" I accept, uninstall the game and move on to other games, I believe that a game still in BETA accepts opinions contrary to yours

9 minutes ago, s2_de_Paula said:

We tested it, standing still, inside an underground bunker, the woman in white always appears, knocks down the door, goes down into the bunker and screams, every time. There is a skill called stealthing, which presupposes that we can "hide", even for 4 minutes, it doesn't make sense for an NPC to always know where we are and persistently destroy the base to be able to "scream", this game, when finished, will continue to be like this? Is it healthy for this to ruin the game for people who just want to have fun because you simply "think" it should be like that? I'm sorry but your opinions are not ours here, and we would like a game without an NPC chasing us because it brings "excitement" to the game

it's not a group walking around the map randomly, the woman in white appears every 2, 3 minutes, knocks down the door, goes down into the bunker and screams, we tested this and 3 times she did the same thing, for us here it's a bad NPC programmed, if it is an NPC that the Devs consider "healthy" I accept, uninstall the game and move on to other games, I believe that a game still in BETA accepts opinions contrary to yours

The "woman in white" is a screamer. She does not scream unless she sees a player. She is attracted to activity, as represented by "heat." Specific activities (running forges, using gas-powered tools, etc.) generate heat. It has nothing to do with stealth.

This is mechanic that was deliberately coded by the game developers. I'd be shocked if they decide to remove it.

For details, read the Wiki: https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Heatmap

Set up some very basic defenses (even just a couple rows of spikes) and screamers aren't an issue.  They've been in the game as long as I've played it (A16.4) and they've never really been more than a minor annoyance.

After 70 days, you should probably be able to set up some camera-controlled turrets to take them out even more reliably.  Heck, I can't believe that after 70 days of mining you haven't seen them quite regularly.  I usually end up dealing with 4 or 5 a night when I'm doing serious mining.

They're drawn to activity at your base, which generates heat (basically using any workstation, dew collector, power tools, candles/torches, breaking blocks and probably a couple other things that I'm forgetting) which has a chance to spawn a screamer when the heat hits 100%.  They'll head to whichever heat source caused them to spawn, and when they reach it (or if they're blocked or see a player) will scream.  I believe they'll also attack whatever caused them to spawn, but I'm not positive about that, since I never let them get that far.

Honestly, I don't care about them one way or the other, but the point of them is that you're never supposed to be safe, so they exist to prevent you from being able to ignore zombies by just sitting around in your base crafting all the time.

The screamer doesn´t go for the player. It goes for the source of heat. Like forges, cementmixer, dew collectors and so on. A rule of thumb in this game is either to have an automated defense system with turrets that shoot her on sight or a moat full with spikes around your base. And it´s also a good idea to make sure she can´t see you when she approaches the base as she will scream for a horde once she sees a player.

That´s how the game works. It´s nothing new. Has been like that for years and pretty much the whole playerbase simply deals with it. It´s one of the challenges this game has that you have to overcome.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Yep, screamer horde. Intended game mechanic.

You have to realize that this is supposed to be a challenging sandbox survival game. Part of the challenge is that the devs never want for you to feel "safe". There are a number of mechanics designed around this, and you have discovered one of the most common.

Though for more experienced players, we just utilize the screamer hordes as exp farms.

9 hours ago, khzmusik said:

The "woman in white" is a screamer. She does not scream unless she sees a player. She is attracted to activity, as represented by "heat." Specific activities (running forges, using gas-powered tools, etc.) generate heat. It has nothing to do with stealth.

This is mechanic that was deliberately coded by the game developers. I'd be shocked if they decide to remove it.

For details, read the Wiki: https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Heatmap

excellent explanation, I read everything and watched the video, I agree with the proposal, I'll talk to the group and we'll do HEAT tests, I'll come back here if we still have questions, if you don't mind

I read this thread earlier, then I had my morning 7DTD session. I had just started a T4 Clear when screamer showed up. I let her scream to farm them for xp, but then I @%$#ed about too much and almost got killed. Good times. For me, screamers and wanderers are more fun and challenging than BMs because of the randomness. 

Edited by Catdaddy (see edit history)

Ya the unexpected wandering horde the night after a successful bloodmoon defense has f'd me several times. The hordes usually comes early. I play with music low and sound effects/ambient turned way up so zombie/dogs/bears/hordes footsteps are really easy to hear.

On 12/24/2023 at 2:23 AM, s2_de_Paula said:

70 days of mining, the devs must find it funny, on a day that is NOT the day of the attack, to send dozens of zombies to an underground hideout to DESTROY everything we have built, especially the forge and all the material collected, if it were the day of the attack would be ok, but I went to the bathroom and when I came back the zombies came directly to attack the characters, SINCE WE ARE HIDING AND WITHOUT MAKING NOISE, brilliant idea Devs, GENIUS idea

i know how frustrating that is but everything you do like using the forge burning torches around so you can mine easier even a dew collecter generates a heat signature on the map that the zombies are drawn to  try to keep all your things up higher like the second story of a building and remove the stairs that way it impossible to miss an attack and even if you do they probably wont reach it good learning experience 

Just put an couple turrets and a motion sensor at the entrance to your base. It'll clear any screamers (women in white) who come looking for you. Once your base is established enough to worry about losing materials, it's time to start adding extra security for those materials. You can also add a horn to alert you when zombies arrive, and electric fences or dart traps could work too. There's also blade traps and spikes... There's a lot of things you can set up to kill those few zombies that do straddle into your base. You can also try to have a separate crafting area, away from your main base, to reduce heat at your base. 

The basic concept is that if so many people are living and doing things there, it makes enough 'noise/heat' that it lures in a scout zombie who screams and calls others if she finds something there. Your base may be underground, but the entrance is too obvious. I suggest making your entrance blocked by a door or elevated from the ground, so acrobatics are required to get in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, screamers were just attracted to their forges. OP even stated that the zombies destroyed all their forges and their ores (likely stored in storage boxes right next to the forges). Just the HEAT map stuff.

My view of screamers is that they are a mixed bag. Most of my issues with them are based on mods as the HEAT map goes bonkers with certain mods. The biggest issue I have is with mining. If you are collecting iron and lead, the blocks of ore coupled with the auger are just insane on calling in screamers. Again, mods, grain of salt, all that. My mod was just a bump to the level-to-level damage increase the auger gets, still takes a few strikes of the auger to get through blocks though.

Outside of their annoying frequency, screamers are fine. They're just something in the game that adds a few oh sh*t moments. I mean, tell me the first time you were clearing a skyscraper in A21.1 or A21.2 and saw a screamer suddenly walk out of a room wasn't an oh sh*t moment.

On 1/15/2024 at 2:40 AM, FramFramson said:

Man, I dunno what happened but screamers never show up in my test game anymore. Well, not at my base! It's so boring when I'm home crafting now. :(

I have the same issue right now.  I'm crafting up a storm and can't seem to get one to join me.  I thought they might have been removed.