Why are rocks harmless?

Ranazy

Why can't I kill zombies by throwing small rocks at them? Small rock is a widespread item, in early-game a player can easily access them, so why not make it a weapon? You already can throw them, but they just bounce off zombies. Their damage can be correlated to their velocity, I think that's fair. 

So what do you think? Can we give small rocks a try? #makesmallrockaweapon

If the rock is the size of your starter rock in Rust, sure a headshot would do it. But a baseball sized rock, unless it's flung from a seasoned pitcher, a headshot won't kill a zed. It's just damaging their skin and won't bruise. Rocks rarely kill humans unless it's a pound+/headshot/with their head against an immoveable object, so why would it kill a zed who feels no pain/trauma/concussion?

5 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

You can still throw rocks to distract zombies.  

And rocks can damage them.  you just need to tie them to sticks and hit them with it. lol

I thought they got rid of that a long while ago.

TESTED EDIT:  It seems this still works, but it has a limited range and there's no sound effect.   I was able to lead a zombie moe around a farm making him go anywhere I wanted with about 90% effectiveness so long as I stayed in stealth and at a certain distance.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I thought they got rid of that a long while ago.

TESTED EDIT:  It seems this still works, but it has a limited range and there's no sound effect.   I was able to lead a zombie moe around a farm making him go anywhere I wanted with about 90% effectiveness so long as I stayed in stealth and at a certain distance.

It definitely has limited uses.  I feel after the first few days I am seeking all the zombies to level up faster.  But when you are squishy in the beginning it is very useful.