hammers aren't worth the water it takes to make them

ElCabong

7 hours ago, Crashtian said:

What are you wasting your glue on? drop rates for glue were increased. I find I have a surplus of it on the regular for crafting things like duct tape.

I haven't seen that much more glue than normal. I have started a new game and I might be seeing a little more with this one. There's a lot of variations in this game and there's always something you want you're short of.

On 8/24/2023 at 2:49 PM, ElCabong said:

Water is worth more than gold now

nahhh

in the start you drink a lot of dirty water (look on the map were blue fields near the houses are)

then u build a water collector (4 are good)

or buy the water mod for drinking

or search the toilets for water

my problem ist duck tape...i need it for the arrow explosives

some things are now easier when u buy it, like grenades / explosives (for blood moon) , tape, aloe seeds and first aid bandage

1 hour ago, 7daysOfFun said:

nahhh

in the start you drink a lot of dirty water (look on the map were blue fields near the houses are)

some things are now easier when u buy it, like grenades / explosives (for blood moon) , tape, aloe seeds and first aid bandage

I think the point wasn't anything to do with drinking water.  It was that you need a ton of water to make a ton of glue to make a ton of duct tape in order to craft much of anything.  I gave up on crafting because of the pointless need to use so much duct tape, regardless how easy it is to craft.  You even pointed out that duct tape is an issue, which is also the issue for making a hammer (not to mention that there is no reason to ever craft higher than a tier 1 hammer or nail gun).

ここでの問題点はハンマーではなく、ハンマーを持つタイミングで何の素材でできたブロックを用いて建物を建てようとしているかです。
多くの場合、玉石かコンクリートで建築することになると思いますが、これらは今ブロック自体を作成できるため、ハンマーの出番はありません。それそのものが問題です。
たった数個のダクトテープを用いることにすら、ハンマーは値しないということです。

(Google Translation)

The problem here is not the hammer, but what material block you are trying to build with when you have the hammer.
Most of the time you'll be building with cobblestone or concrete, but these can now create blocks themselves, so there's no need for a hammer. That in itself is the problem.
A hammer isn't worth even a few strips of duct tape.

13 hours ago, binf_shinana said:

ここでの問題点はハンマーではなく、ハンマーを持つタイミングで何の素材でできたブロックを用いて建物を建てようとしているかです。
多くの場合、玉石かコンクリートで建築することになると思いますが、これらは今ブロック自体を作成できるため、ハンマーの出番はありません。それそのものが問題です。
たった数個のダクトテープを用いることにすら、ハンマーは値しないということです。

(Google Translation)

The problem here is not the hammer, but what material block you are trying to build with when you have the hammer.
Most of the time you'll be building with cobblestone or concrete, but these can now create blocks themselves, so there's no need for a hammer. That in itself is the problem.
A hammer isn't worth even a few strips of duct tape.

I'm not sure what you are meaning here.  You have three options for upgrading blocks.  The stone axe, which takes 3 hits to upgrade a block; the hammer, which takes two hits to upgrade a block; and the nail gun, which takes three hits to upgrade a block.  It doesn't matter what blocks you are building with other than that if you have to upgrade blocks multiple times because you are building with lower tier materials, then it takes much longer to do the upgrades.

So if you can't yet build or find a nail gun, a hammer can be well worth it to get.  It cuts your upgrade time in half over the stone axe.  That is significant.

The thing you don't need is a higher quality level hammer or nail gun.  A Q1 hanger or nail gun is just as good as a Q6.  You just have more disability and Q6 had 1 extra range.  Neither is important.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

前提情報の記載を忘れていました。
a19まではブロックとして生成できるのはコンクリートブロックまでで、それ以上を構築するにはコンクリートからアップグレードする必要がありました。
そのため、どうしてもハンマーなどの建築用ツールが必要でした。
しかし、現状では鋼鉄ブロックさえ作業台で作らせることができるので、作業台や手作業で作成すればアップグレード時間はありません。
ホードベースは過去の作成物を利用するのは難しいため新しく作ってしまったほうが早く、既存のベースをアップグレードする必要はほとんどありません。
住居は頑張って木材で構築するより、トレーダーで玉石を買ってそれをブロックに加工したほうが早く、玉石程度であれば破壊されることはほぼないためアップグレードする必要はあまりありません。

(Google Translation)

I forgot to include prerequisite information.
Up to a19, you can only generate blocks up to concrete blocks, and to build more than that you have to upgrade from concrete.
Therefore, construction tools such as hammers were absolutely necessary.
However, at present, even steel blocks can be crafted at workbenches, so there is no time to upgrade if crafted at workbench or by hand.
Horde bases are difficult to use from past creations, so it's quicker to build a new horde base, and there's little need to upgrade existing bases.
Rather than trying to build a house out of wood, it's faster to buy cobblestone from a trader and process it into blocks.

57 minutes ago, binf_shinana said:

前提情報の記載を忘れていました。
a19まではブロックとして生成できるのはコンクリートブロックまでで、それ以上を構築するにはコンクリートからアップグレードする必要がありました。
そのため、どうしてもハンマーなどの建築用ツールが必要でした。
しかし、現状では鋼鉄ブロックさえ作業台で作らせることができるので、作業台や手作業で作成すればアップグレード時間はありません。
ホードベースは過去の作成物を利用するのは難しいため新しく作ってしまったほうが早く、既存のベースをアップグレードする必要はほとんどありません。
住居は頑張って木材で構築するより、トレーダーで玉石を買ってそれをブロックに加工したほうが早く、玉石程度であれば破壊されることはほぼないためアップグレードする必要はあまりありません。

(Google Translation)

I forgot to include prerequisite information.
Up to a19, you can only generate blocks up to concrete blocks, and to build more than that you have to upgrade from concrete.
Therefore, construction tools such as hammers were absolutely necessary.
However, at present, even steel blocks can be crafted at workbenches, so there is no time to upgrade if crafted at workbench or by hand.
Horde bases are difficult to use from past creations, so it's quicker to build a new horde base, and there's little need to upgrade existing bases.
Rather than trying to build a house out of wood, it's faster to buy cobblestone from a trader and process it into blocks.

As Rotor said, you get experience when upgrading and it can be annoying to place a steel block and have it go in the wrong place and then have to destroy it.  Many people prefer just to upgrade, at least part of the way.  If you don't, then yes, there isn't any need for a hammer.  But for everyone else who does upgrade, a hammer is useful, so saying it isn't worth anything is not accurate.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:02 PM, 7daysOfFun said:

nahhh

If you do what TFP wants, looting and looting and looting again, preferably with quests, you don´t even need to drink dirty water at all. Not even very early in game. Even if you find no cooking pot or don´t want to spend 600 coins for it you can buy water or other drinks.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Oh ay, but if you are questing, the xp for the upgrades is ...meh!

I was a cheap shot at the Questing Guild :).

And the questing guild does both. We manage to build horde bases and quest and benefit from both. It's kind of nuts, time management and what not. Thankfully we have 24 hours in a day as our characters do not sleep and the trader is closed for a portion of that.

45 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

That's not really true.  I once got my xp gain up over 2 million (the little thing in the corner that shows your xp) doing upgrades.

Yeah, upgrades are very significant XP.

It's also fast, especially with a nailgun.