Are bears gone?

Feycat

30 minutes ago, Feycat said:

Haven't seen a single live bear, other animals are piled high all around. We've seen ONE zombie bear.

Bears still exists. But they spawn only in the winter biome. In the pine forest you currently have no predators. 

Nope, I got killed twice by a zombie bear bear yesterday but I killed that mangy  critter on the third attempt.

If you're looking for one in the forest you'll find it in the construction POI that has the cement mixer in front of the building and just the basement finished. It will be in the basement. have fun

Edited by ElCabong (see edit history)

Right. Yes, for clarification, any animal may appear in a POI regardless of biome if designed that way.  Only wilderness spawns are changed to keep wolves and bears out of the forest.  You can still find wolves in forest towns as random spawns.  I haven't seen bears in forest towns as random spawns, though.  Also, if you are near a biome border, you may see animals that were spawned in the nearby biome that wandered into your biome.

1 hour ago, ElCabong said:

Nope, I got killed twice by a zombie bear bear yesterday but I killed that mangy  critter on the third attempt.

If you're looking for one in the forest you'll find it in the construction POI that has the cement mixer in of the building and just the basement finished. It will be in the basement. have fun

Oh, does that one still exist? I have only found the new construction sites so far.

Oh hey, what's in this cave? Gee, lot of dead bodies. Oh @%$#! Bear! Everyone should experience that at least once.

I have found wolves in some of the little forest grove POIs as well as one of the farms in a stall.

I'd much rather have wolves than zombie dogs, I @%$#ing hate them. At least wolves are meat.

52 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Yes, I had forgotten about them. However, they are not really dangerous for the player. Rather annoying.

Yeah, I hate snakes. And crawlers. Spiders too. Especially spiders. Really I hate anything with an irregular hitbox.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

That makes sense, since wandering hordes are not biome dependent

One of my first playthroughs ever, I ran into one of those.  Well they ran into me more like it.  I was in a small town and saw them coming.  Knowing I was going to die, I jumpped on a farm field fence post that happened to be near me.  Figure try to atleast get a couple of clubs in.  I crouched and odd enough, they flew right by...however, not before I left a small stain.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:55 AM, RipClaw said:

Bears still exists. But they spawn only in the winter biome. In the pine forest you currently have no predators. 

That's stupid. No wonder why lm looking around for them there has to be some risk in the forest 

In fact it should have the most animals 

Snakes, chickens, rabbits, deer, coyotes, wolf's, bears and mountain lions 

Would at least add some danger. Forest is too easy. 

Even if the hostile animals spawn at night

If they want a lower teir bear. Add a black bear. 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

That's stupid. No wonder why lm looking around for them there has to be some risk in the forest 

The dog hordes and screamers that regularly visit me are risk enough for me. But it's probably only temporary. MadMole said that it is part of a long term rebalancing.

In fact it should have the most animals 

Snakes, chickens, rabbits, deer, coyotes, wolf's, bears and mountain lions 

The most animals yes but not necessarily the most predators. In nature, you always have significantly more prey than predators.

Would at least add some danger. Forest is too easy. 

Don't worry. I'm sure the Apocalypse Now mod for A21 will be released soon and Killerbunny will have more than enough ways to kill the player, even in the pine forest. And by the way I have heard that the Darkness Falls Mod Experimental should be released soon.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Don't worry. I'm sure the Apocalypse Now mod for A21 will be released soon and Killerbunny will have more than enough ways to kill the player, even in the pine forest. And by the way I have heard that the Darkness Falls Mod Experimental should be released soon.

Sadly I'm not for mods. Cuz once it comes out on console I'm mostly going to play that. I don't have the time like I uses too. 

And I want to play with people at work.  

6 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Maybe the forest could spawn coyotes

I think the wolf and the bear will return to the green biome. MadMole has written that it is part of a rebalancing. Therefore some back and forth is to be expected.

One problem in A20 was that you had too many wolves and bears and not enough deer. I guess they want to balance it so you have wolves and bears, but more deer than wolves and bears, so it feels more like a realistic ecosystem.

7 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Sadly I'm not for mods. Cuz once it comes out on console I'm mostly going to play that. I don't have the time like I uses too. 

And I want to play with people at work.  

I don't really like most of the mods either. The only exception is Undead Legacy, which has not the goal to make the game harder, but more varied. Ironically, some call Undead Legacy hard. This is probably because in Undead Legacy you have to work for your resources and they are not handed to you.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

I think the wolf and the bear will return to the green biome. MadMole has written that it is part of a rebalancing. Therefore some back and forth is to be expected.

One problem in A20 was that you had too many wolves and bears and not enough deer. I guess they want to balance it so you have wolves and bears, but more deer than wolves and bears, so it feels more like a realistic ecosystem.

Agreed there was too many. 

They changed it so they spawn alot in the day and you would spawn and get mauled by a direwolf. 

Then they made it so it's night only

Now they are gone. 

And yeah deer should spawn alot more. Hogs as well. 

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Agreed there was too many. 

They changed it so they spawn alot in the day and you would spawn and get mauled by a direwolf. 

Then they made it so it's night only

Now they are gone. 

The problem is more deer would give way too much food. I mean we only get a few meals out of large animal as it is now. I suppose they could go the route they took with the cloth and make recipes use much more but then increase the animal spawn and/or drop rate. That might not be a bad thing.

7 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

People are already complaining that deer are too abundant.  😁

I think the deer are fine.  I'd rather see more of the rare animals like rabbits and hogs.  Meat is already too easy, so more large animals isn't the best option.

10 minutes ago, Riamus said:

People are already complaining that deer are too abundant.  😁

I think the deer are fine.  I'd rather see more of the rare animals like rabbits and hogs.  Meat is already too easy, so more large animals isn't the best option.

2 hours ago, Krougal said:

The problem is more deer would give way too much food. I mean we only get a few meals out of large animal as it is now. I suppose they could go the route they took with the cloth and make recipes use much more but then increase the animal spawn and/or drop rate. That might not be a bad thing.

I see a common theme

It's ether too easy to get food cuz deer just run away from you. But if we add to many hostile animals then it will be easy to get food.  BUT it's harder for noobs 

I agree with the hogs and rabbits and maybe chickens. 

But even tho it's been stated they might change it. But it's kinda a hard camp to please 

35 minutes ago, Feycat said:

Do boars still even run around loose? I haven't seen one outside a POI in forever.

The same. Not a one have I seen. Now rabbits otoh are all over, maybe not quite as much as chickens but I see plenty.

Plenty of coyote in the desert for good eats too. I haven't spent a lot of time in the snow yet (about to build new main base there) but I imagine there is enough big game there too.

On 8/18/2023 at 7:22 AM, Feycat said:

Haven't seen a single live bear, other animals are piled high all around. We've seen ONE zombie bear.

your feeling is right..in the pinewoods i had no bear since a21

in the snow often and in burned often 2

when you play on server you can make the animals spawn higher from 50 to 80... helps a little (but no bear in pinewood, and the jumping bambi is rare 2 in the wood2..in the city it will spawn..but not in the woods lol

2 hours ago, 7daysOfFun said:

your feeling is right..in the pinewoods i had no bear since a21

in the snow often and in burned often 2

when you play on server you can make the animals spawn higher from 50 to 80... helps a little (but no bear in pinewood, and the jumping bambi is rare 2 in the wood2..in the city it will spawn..but not in the woods lol

Oh right! I forgot I have a mod that exposes some of those settings to the normal game, so I've got my animals set to max. It is working because I can't spit without hitting a chicken. It was an attempt to combat my lack of deer, which turned out to be an outdated mod. I should probably tone it down now.