Missing last zombie for quest from POI.

fragtzack

Twice this has happened now on different POI: Can't find the last zombie. The yellow dot doesn't help.

Starting to suspect that stealth if the cause of this bug. If we agro and wake  sleeper, but then go stealthy..the zombie will eventually un-agro and wander off. 

Suspect this zombie wandering off is the cause of the "missing zombie" to complete a clear quest.

I am currently stuck on quest and still in the POI. When I open console and type "sleeper list", I can still see one in a "Spawned" status = 1. Where all the other sleepers(killed earlier) shows "Spawned" status = 0. 

Is there any way to kill this last spawned sleeper with a console command since I have the sleeper id  #  ??

You have to find the action that triggers it. This happened to me and I got it to spawn when I open a garage door. I did clear the place out in stealth, then I walked through the garage out of stealth. Still wouldn't spawn.

I had this happen this morning in another quest. Once again I had to open a garage door. Triggered a whole room of zombies. Lol. but I had walked through that room out of stealth and they wouldn't spawn. I exited the room and then opened the garage door. Yes, there was more than one way in.

In the bowling alley I had to jump through a hole in a wall to get the z to spawn. That one may be because I got out of stealth to jump through the hole. I could have gone around it. Stealth will cause you to leave zombies behind so before you leave a floor, it's a good idea to exit stealth and walk around to see if something falls out of the ceiling.

Wandering off shouldn't matter.  If that is the case, they'd be red and after a period of time should go back to sleeper status somewhere in the POI.  I've had that happen often enough with vultures that fly away.

Are you able to walk right up to the yellow dot so you see it right in front of you on the same floor as you?  (Not in your compass but on the main screen right in front of you).  If so, then it is probably bugged out.  I've had that happen when the floor where that dot is located was broken out, so I think if a spawn location is compromised, it can't spawn.  If you can't walk right up to the dot, then you are in the wrong location.  It could be in a room you haven't seen.

AFAIK, only zombies that are spawned into the game can be killed by command.  Use killall to kill everything nearby.  Not sure the command for a specific zombie.

But yeah, in A21 they apparently trigger spawns only in certain ways rather than being in the area so that may also be the problem.  I think this is a bad design choice.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

Yes, I walked right up and through the yellow dot. Even destroyed near by blocks to the yellow dot.

In that case, it's either bugged or you need to find the trigger for it.  If you mention the POI name, someone might be able to tell you how to trigger that zombie for future reference (I assume you already left).

The POI name in this case is Fort   Choppa. Tier 4 restore the power at night quest. 

I ran the quest again (started over) and completed successfully. This second time I made sure to go through the path the POI developer intended and if I agro a bunch of zombies from trigger, I did not stealth to lose agro rather fight it out. 

There is a possibility I missed a trigger the first time, there was a switch up in a tower near the landing pad I don't remember flipping on the failed quest mission. However, on this second go through...all the zombies were already dead when I flipped that switch up in the tower. 

• 5 months later...

When I did Fort Choppa I had the same problem with finding the last zombies. It turned out to be a key on the wall, which seems to be a common trigger in A21. You will see two green structures up on a platform, that resemble shipping containers.  The is an ammo cache between them. The key on the wall is the container on the right if you are facing south. 

Yeah, I think locking spawns behind triggers during quests is not a good idea. Maybe outside of a quest, but those sleepers shouldn't count during a quest. The whole adding the dots to the compass/screen was to help people find the last few. Gating their spawn behind a key/switch/invisible trigger kind of goes backwards in that regard. It should also show any switches that haven't been activated if that's how they wanna do it. 

On 6/24/2023 at 9:01 PM, fragtzack said:

The POI name in this case is Fort   Choppa. Tier 4 restore the power at night quest. 

I ran the quest again (started over) and completed successfully. This second time I made sure to go through the path the POI developer intended and if I agro a bunch of zombies from trigger, I did not stealth to lose agro rather fight it out. 

There is a possibility I missed a trigger the first time, there was a switch up in a tower near the landing pad I don't remember flipping on the failed quest mission. However, on this second go through...all the zombies were already dead when I flipped that switch up in the tower. 

Do you happen to have a picture of the rough area the sleeper volume in question was?

I can let the designer look at it for possible improvement.

I'll try to reproduce based on your description in the morning.  Thanks.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

I have 680+ hours in A21 and I have yet to experience this. I would imagine this should've happened to me at least once. 

It has to be a trigger issue based on the specificity of how the trigger is activated. 

I've done the same thing, walking through the yellow dot and it not activating the zombies, thinking that it was bugged...only to activate them when I approached the dot from a certain direction. 

The only thing that I've heard that makes sense (but that I don't have any experience with) is if you're playing with a bunch of other people and the game reached the max number of zombies and the last zombie simply can't spawn. 

I'm currently having the same issue with The Road Gentleman Rest Stop - Infested.  I've cleared the whole place out but there is a remaining yellow dot up on the roof that I can walk right up to.  The last Z just won't spawn.  I've looked all over the place for any switches/keys I may have missed but have found nothing.  This is not the first time this has happened on other POIs and it is very frustrating.  TFP should figure out a way to fix this.

20231201193654_1.jpg

On 12/1/2023 at 7:37 PM, zombiehunter said:

I'm currently having the same issue with The Road Gentleman Rest Stop - Infested.  I've cleared the whole place out but there is a remaining yellow dot up on the roof that I can walk right up to.  The last Z just won't spawn.  I've looked all over the place for any switches/keys I may have missed but have found nothing.  This is not the first time this has happened on other POIs and it is very frustrating.  TFP should figure out a way to fix this.

20231201193654_1.jpg

Looks like you are in the final loot room ceiling.  Do you remember how you entered it?  Thanks for the screenshot, that helps alot.

On 6/24/2023 at 6:34 PM, fragtzack said:

Yes, I walked right up and through the yellow dot. Even destroyed near by blocks to the yellow dot.

Do you remember what general area the yellow dot was pointing at? 

Edit: Just realized your post was back from June.  The respawning issue for this particular POI may have been fixed already since then.  Let us know otherwise.  Thanks!

A22.0_2023-12-04_21-41-09.jpg

12 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Looks like you are in the final loot room ceiling.  Do you remember how you entered it?  Thanks for the screenshot, that helps alot.

Yes I am.  I busted out the ceiling blocks trying to find the last Zs.  I entered through the designed path as far as I know.  That is how I play it so that triggers are not missed but in this case a trigger was missed somewhere.  This was the 3rd POI this happened in my current play through.

51 minutes ago, zombiehunter said:

Yes I am.  I busted out the ceiling blocks trying to find the last Zs.  I entered through the designed path as far as I know.  That is how I play it so that triggers are not missed but in this case a trigger was missed somewhere.  This was the 3rd POI this happened in my current play through.

Do you remember the zeds falling from the ceiling when you entered the room?  Trying to figure out if its an initial spawn issue versus a respawn issue (e.g. despawned and never respawned upon return).

29 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Do you remember the zeds falling from the ceiling when you entered the room?  Trying to figure out if its an initial spawn issue versus a respawn issue (e.g. despawned and never respawned upon return).

I don't fully remember but if I had to say one way or another I would say they did not.

Thanks Laz Man.

• 3 weeks later...