FPS capped at 60fps?

NewGuy

I haven't played this in a long time and just came back and started a new game and the first thing I noticed is that my fps is capped at 60fps for some reason. I did some googling and tried a few things like disabling vsync both in game and in Nvidia control panel, but nothing has changed. I read online that disabling vsync worked for others, but wonder if maybe something changed in the latest Alpha and it's hard-capped at 60FPS for some reason now. If that's the case, why?

There's at least 4 ways I know of off hand to cap your fps. 1st, with v-sync within the game as you mentioned... disable that junk as it only hinders performance anyway. 2nd, within Nvidia control panel as you mentioned as well. 3rd, within Precision XOC or maybe even MSI Afterburner or other GPU software (which is the one I use to cap my fps for max preferred performance without monitor sync issues). 4th, within Windows Advanced Display Settings, I'm sure you can find that setting easily enough with a simple search.

Assuming you have a monitor that supports better than 60fps, the Windows Display Setting theoretically shouldn't be an issue by default, but if you have Windows Update based GPU drivers installed... well, they don't call them garbage drivers for no reason.

Also, make sure to reload the game after applying the new settings as it doesn't always take effect right away.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Fox said:

There's at least 4 ways I know of off hand to cap your fps. 1st, with v-sync within the game as you mentioned... disable that junk as it only hinders performance anyway. 2nd, within Nvidia control panel as you mentioned as well. 3rd, within Precision XOC or maybe even MSI Afterburner or other GPU software (which is the one I use to cap my fps for max preferred performance without monitor sync issues). 4th, within Windows Advanced Display Settings, I'm sure you can find that setting easily enough with a simple search.

Assuming you have a monitor that supports better than 60fps, the Windows Display Setting theoretically shouldn't be an issue by default, but if you have Windows Update based GPU drivers installed... well, they don't call them garbage drivers for no reason.

Also, make sure to reload the game after applying the new settings as it doesn't always take effect right away.

Yeah, my monitor is 360hz and is set accordingly in Windows (Advanced) display options, and vsync is disabled both in game and in Nvidia. I don't use MSI afterburner though I do use HWiNFO64 and RivaTunerStatisticsServer. Can anyone confirm that they are actually able to run this game beyond 60fps and that it's not hard capped at 60fps?

5 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Can anyone confirm that they are actually able to run this game beyond 60fps and that it's not hard capped at 60fps?

you mean like this? i do not use any 3rd party programs that claim to optimize or boost gaming experience. i gave nVidia strict orders to not touch any game settings.

screens show my in game settings. inside cities i can average 75-80 fps (depending how much activity is going on).

A20.6_2022-09-08_22-23-12.jpg

A20.6_2022-09-08_22-23-40.jpg

A20.6_2022-09-08_22-23-44.jpg

A20.6_2022-09-08_22-23-59.jpg

A20.6_2022-09-08_22-24-04.jpg

A20.6_2022-09-08_22-24-13.jpg

A20.6_2022-09-08_22-24-16.jpg

Thanks a bunch for that, Joe. I'll do some testing and see if anything changes when I use your settings. Two major differences I see immediately are that you aren't running fullscreen whereas I am, and you have the dynamic mesh disabled whereas mine is on. I'll report back with my findings.

Get rid of that Riva Tuner... this game really hates it. If you've ever had game crashes... it's because of that alone.

I don't know if Dynamic Mesh messes with v-sync settings, but I'd definitely disable that too if you prefer to manually set your graphics settings.

For the record though, I don't know why anyone would need more than 60fps in a non-pvp game... unless you're playing on a pvp-based server? You're just creating extra heat and wear and tear on the hardware for nothing.

Alright so I found something VERY interesting. I tried disabling dynamic mesh and going from fullscreen to windowed or exclusive. I tried a few other things, and did notice that when changing resolution and hitting APPLY, my FPS would briefly jump above 60fps, usually 63-68 just for a split second and then quickly back to the 60fps cap. Finally, I tried enabling vsync, which I normally never do in any game, but as soon as I did, my fps jumped to 180fps and appears to now be hard capped at 180fps for whatever reason, even though my monitor is 360hz. I'd love to hear from anyone else experiencing these issues.

I'm using an Alienware X17 R2

i9-12900HK 14 Core

32GB Ram

RTX 3080Ti 16GB

Nvidia driver version 31.0.15.1659

1920x1080x360hz 32 bits/pixel display

Windows 11

EDIT: I just disabled fullscreen again and now am uncapped and getting like 238fps and it's jumping around fluctuating now, looking uncapped, unlike before.

SO.... I think it's important to point out that changing nothing else, only changing the following in game settings, has the following affects and constraints for me.

1920x1080, Vsync Off, Fullscreen On = Capped 60FPS

1920x1080, Vsync On, Fullscreen On = Capped 180FPS

1920x1080, Vsync On, Fullscreen Exclusive = Capped 60FPS

1920x1080, Vsync On, Fullscreen Off = Uncapped FPS

Turning Fullscreen back on at a resolution less than full monitor resolution (1600x900)= Still uncapped

Then setting game resolution back to full monitor resolution = back to being capped at 180FPS

Then turning vsync back on = back to 60FPS capped.

1600x900, Vsync Off, Fullscreen On = Capped 60FPS

1600x900, Vsync On, Fullscreen On = Uncapped

1600x900, Vsync On, Fullscreen Exclusive = Capped 60FPS

1600x900, Vsync On, Fullscreen Off = Uncapped FPS

Edited by NewGuy (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Naz said:

Double check your monitor is actually running at 360hz, vsync caps the fps at the monitors maximum refresh rate and 60 is usually the default windows like to set high refreshrate monitors for what ever reason. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-your-display-refresh-rate-in-windows-c8ea729e-0678-015c-c415-f806f04aae5a

Had you actually read my posts, you would see that I am seeing uncapped fps using certain in game settings, but seeing it capped using other in game settings. Thanks for commenting without actually reading and/or understanding what I posted though.

7 hours ago, Fox said:

Get rid of that Riva Tuner... this game really hates it. If you've ever had game crashes... it's because of that alone.

I don't know if Dynamic Mesh messes with v-sync settings, but I'd definitely disable that too if you prefer to manually set your graphics settings.

For the record though, I don't know why anyone would need more than 60fps in a non-pvp game... unless you're playing on a pvp-based server? You're just creating extra heat and wear and tear on the hardware for nothing.

I agree for general gameplay 60 is perfectly fine. However if you have a high refresh rate monitor there is a premium you pay for that feature. So it wouldn't make any sence to waste money on a feature you purposly avoid using. I also find even playing PVE the reduced input lag can really help make the challenge for enjoyable when your not dying because you pressed a button but the action didn't happen fast enough to save you. 

Also yes technically it does push the hardware harder, but that extra heat and wear isn't going to have any meaninful effect on it's lifespan in the real world. Used mining gpus can be found pretty cheap right now, they operate under far worse environmental conditions 24/7 that if they were in a gaming pc and they will happily game for years to come. Basically a gpu is more likely to become obsolete and replaced long before they die from wear. 

7 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Had you actually read my posts, you would see that I am seeing uncapped fps using certain in game settings, but seeing it capped using other in game settings. Thanks for commenting without actually reading and/or understanding what I posted though.

Nice attitude to someone just trying to help. Good luck im out. 

I'd say capping is a small contribution to prevent global warming as well. I would love to turn on vsync in 7D2D but when I do (on Linux) my game starts to stutter and even goes below 60 FPS. I agree with Fox that there must be still some serious bugs in the vsync code (in 7d2d or unity, who knows?).

46 minutes ago, Naz said:

You're the one who failed to educate yourself on the topic you were contributing to. Don't try and make me look like the bad guy for pointing out the fact that you replied without actually reading or understanding what you were replying to. If I were a sphincter I would have commented on all the spelling and grammatical errors in your post as well, but I won't go there.

Edited by NewGuy (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

You're the one who failed to educate yourself on the topic you were contributing to. Don't try and make me look like the bad guy for pointing out the fact that you replied without actually reading or understanding what you were replying to. If I were a sphincter I would have commented on all the spelling and grammatical errors in your post as well, but I won't go there.

It isn't as if the information he posted hurt you in any way. Maybe you should take into account that everyone posting in such a thread is trying to help you.

I have sometimes missed crucial information as well and posted advice that was unhelpful. The game changes continually and with it the bugs and the symptoms and the meaning of symptoms. And dozens of help requests get posted every day and helpful posters have to keep track of multiple cases over multiple days. There is a lot of opportunity to make mistakes.

And I'm sure the next mistake in giving advice from anyone in this forum is only a matter of time. Lets hope they don't get discouraged from helping then.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, meganoth said:

It isn't as if the information he posted hurt you in any way. Maybe you should take into account that everyone posting in such a thread is trying to help you.

I have sometimes missed crucial information as well and posted advice that was unhelpful. The game changes continually and with it the bugs and the symptoms and the meaning of symptoms. And dozens of help requests get posted every day and helpful posters have to keep track of multiple cases over multiple days. There is a lot of opportunity to make mistakes.

And I'm sure the next mistake in giving advice from anyone in this forum is only a matter of time. Lets hope they don't get discouraged from helping then.

Point taken, and I don't want to discourage the users here from offering advice. I just wanted to point out that if you're going to offer advice or solutions, to fully read what people have written to fully understand the problem.

3 hours ago, Naz said:

I agree for general gameplay 60 is perfectly fine. However if you have a high refresh rate monitor there is a premium you pay for that feature. So it wouldn't make any sence to waste money on a feature you purposly avoid using. I also find even playing PVE the reduced input lag can really help make the challenge for enjoyable when your not dying because you pressed a button but the action didn't happen fast enough to save you. 

Also yes technically it does push the hardware harder, but that extra heat and wear isn't going to have any meaninful effect on it's lifespan in the real world. Used mining gpus can be found pretty cheap right now, they operate under far worse environmental conditions 24/7 that if they were in a gaming pc and they will happily game for years to come. Basically a gpu is more likely to become obsolete and replaced long before they die from wear. 

I disagree with everything you said here.

Going back to the fps cap issue, I'd maybe report your discovery in the bug section of this forum so the devs can see and work on it as it does sound like an unintended bug to me.

EDIT: Also, fyi, Alienware is a horrible scammer company. I know their laptops aren't built as bad as their desktops but still... I'm sure they still made you pay for a dozen warranties in which they would never honor unless they were forced to and the laptop came with a bunch of bloatware on it.

8 hours ago, Fox said:

Going back to the fps cap issue, I'd maybe report your discovery in the bug section of this forum so the devs can see and work on it as it does sound like an unintended bug to me.

EDIT: Also, fyi, Alienware is a horrible scammer company. I know their laptops aren't built as bad as their desktops but still... I'm sure they still made you pay for a dozen warranties in which they would never honor unless they were forced to and the laptop came with a bunch of bloatware on it.

I have a cousin to Alienware, its called a DELL. Because it was available when my other laptop machine puked (burnt out on the motherboard), I bought it pretty well maxed out 6 months ago. I throw warranties out the the window, and never knowingly pay for them upfront, for any product. Either it works or it chokes, right? Bloatware...well its every frickin' everywhere. MS is a prime example. Doesn't make it right. but it is a reality. Good you point it out. Good luck in removing/restricting it. My experience has been replace every 3 years or so. Keeps me up to date on chip tech, and allows them to embed @%$# I don't want. And the revenue keeps on 'a rolling. Like I can control this? 

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Fox said:

https://frame.work/ca/en

Solution to many problems for at least some ppl... not gamers yet though, but they're still a new company, give it a few years.

I recall something like this in the early 2000s, a totally modular laptop, that you could replace virtually any component as easily as a battery (back then).  

It looked really promising, but I think it was the time where "smaller, lighter, faster" all were trumping "more ugradeable" and to get thing small, it had to be designed to be never upgraded or serviced. E.g. the move from  removeable 18650 based battery cells to 5mm thin pouch cells that were flat up against the motherboard.

The world is different now. The rate of change is slower. The jumps used to be big before - Every generation, sharper screens, faster processors, longer battery lives. Now it's all incrememntal, another 5% processing power, an extra hour on an already "all day battery". People just wait out multiple generations and really sweat the full value out of hardware.

Edited by Pernicious (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vampirenostra said:

looks nice, but why "team blue" ? They do prefer furnaces?

Linus at LTT (an investor) said they plan to do AMD builds as well at some point when they can manage it, but for now, it's one or the other and they happen to choose Intel for right now. They're still a brand new company, so they need to work their way up the ladder with support.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, Fox said:

Linus at LTT (an investor) said they plan to do AMD builds as well at some point when they can manage it, but for now, it's one or the other and they happen to choose Intel for right now. They're still a brand new company, so they need to work their way up the ladder with support.

Watched his video on the topic, but still he massively pushes for team red now, and invests in team blue )))