Buzzers are almost fixed. There's only one small problem

ElCabong

Every time there's a new release I create a new game and I have been exploring the desert area extensively without being harassed by buzzards. They aren't attacking me every 5 ft like they were before.

They're attacking me if I get damage. Also if I get on my bike without being at full health. Perfect! That adds to the excitement and danger and keeps you hating them damn buzzards. They are no longer a free source of feathers, bones, and rotten flesh.

The only slight problem is if you don't take damage they don't attack. They should jump the minute the fight starts.

Makes sense to me. Vultures should be scavengers, not predators waiting to strike when you're distracted. They're not looking for a fight. If a fight breaks out, but you don't take damage, then there's no reason for them to move in. I think the way you describe their behavior now is just right.

2 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Makes sense to me. Vultures should be scavengers, not predators waiting to strike when you're distracted. They're not looking for a fight. If a fight breaks out, but you don't take damage, then there's no reason for them to move in. I think the way you describe their behavior now is just right.

I had to think about that for a few minutes and I think you're right. They are extremely cautious critters. They will circle around you and wait till you haven't moved for a while before they swoop in. Even then they're going to wait for somebody to nibble on you first before the crowd joins. Lol

40 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

If they were real buzzards I wouldn't harm them. Or I wouldn't if they left me alone. 

Not all buzzards act the same.  Most are scavengers but some are much more aggressive and will sometimes create their own opportunities by attacking vulnerable, but living, things.  Baby cows just after being birthed, for instance.

Don't feel bad, harm the buzzards.

9 hours ago, Roland said:

But….these are zombie buzzards not regular buzzards. Just saying. 

Well... shucks, you have a point there. I must fall back on the philosophy of starting with what is fun gameplay, and working from there.

I think an enemy that waits to attack you until you're vulnerable is more interesting, or at least provides more variety, than yet another enemy that only has the two modes of 'hasn't found you yet' and 'fight to the death'. If we take your counterargument that they're zombie vultures to its logical conclusion, I presume it would mean vultures that attack as soon as they find you, like other zombies. An enemy that does know you're there, but bides its time, seems craftier.

Maybe bandits can fill that crafty role. Maybe attacking as soon as you're engaged instead of only after you're damaged is just as good. But taking their cue from the player being injured does feel more vulture-like, and also more zombie-like in a way: in the sense that they pick up on the fresh meat, like a shark smelling blood in the water. They're not ignoring you because you're healthy, so much as they're better attuned to sense blood.

Conclusion 1: Bring back zombies that better smell the player under certain conditions (like carrying meat or having an injury), so all types of zombies can do a cool thing! buzzed

Conclusion 2: Make the big vultures zombie vultures and the small vultures living vultures, like bears, if a vulture with more zombie-like behavior is desired.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

Well... shucks, you have a point there. I must fall back on the philosophy of starting with what is fun gameplay, and working from there.

I think an enemy that waits to attack you until you're vulnerable is more interesting, or at least provides more variety, than yet another enemy that only has the two modes of 'hasn't found you yet' and 'fight to the death'. If we take your counterargument that they're zombie vultures to its logical conclusion, I presume it would mean vultures that attack as soon as they find you, like other zombies. An enemy that does know you're there, but bides its time, seems craftier.

Maybe bandits can fill that crafty role. Maybe attacking as soon as you're engaged instead of only after you're damaged is just as good. But taking their cue from the player being injured does feel more vulture-like, and also more zombie-like in a way: in the sense that they pick up on the fresh meat, like a shark smelling blood in the water. They're not ignoring you because you're healthy, so much as they're better attuned to sense blood.

Conclusion 1: Bring back zombies that better smell the player under certain conditions (like carrying meat or having an injury), so all types of zombies can do a cool thing! buzzed

Conclusion 2: Make the big vultures zombie vultures and the small vultures living vultures, like bears, if a vulture with more zombie-like behavior is desired.

All I meant is that we shouldn’t judge how zombie vultures behave based on how actual zombies behave. In other words, I’m all for giving them abnormal behaviors in the name of fun even if it means they don’t behave like actual living vultures. 

I actually love how the vultures behave. I have the day hordes contain 30 zombies so when it’s the vulture groups turn, we have 30 vultures circling the base. They just circle the base ignoring us. So I put down a wooden spike, walk into it so that I take some damage then jump on my motorcycle and I circle the base while my friends get target practice. Or I’ll stand still after taking damage and use them for batting practice. Yes, they can be irritating at times but I generally love them just for their behavior.

Peeps cried out about constant attacking buzzards, and now that it's fixed, they complain they are not getting them attack so to collect feathers ...

Wow, just wow.

Here's an idea, damage your self and run about in the desert or wasteland... problem solved.