Blood Moon lore ideas

Tornadic

I was driving around on my motorcycle in the game, you know, just exploring, when several questions struck me 
What causes the Blood Moon? Why does it make every zombie know exactly where you are? Why is it only every 7 days?

I initally thought of several things. The Blood Moon might be a alien superstructure, that orbits the Earth, turning people into zombies in order to kill off humanity. It kinda makes sense. It happens every 7 days, exactly. It controls all the zombies to track down and kill all the humans. But maybe it needs 7 days to recharge or something. I think that would be cool for a story, if there ever was one. 
Also, the zombies will send screamers to your base (Or where there's a high heatmap) to scout out the location. This doesn't make sense for a dumb zombie to do. So maybe the zombies are being controlled by something. Also there's a lot of zombies in buildings, and that doesn't make sense. My theory is that the blood moon came suddenly, turned a bunch of people into zombies, and ended the world. 

Or maybe it turned people gradually. On roads, you can sometimes see newspaper fragments, and they have headlines like "Flu Outbreak" and stuff like that. That leads me to believe that if the Blood Moon is an alien structure, it gave a bunch of people a virus that turned them into zombies, and the virus could be used to control the zombies. 

I'm just throwing ideas at the wall here, but I personally think they're pretty good ones. Please, add any thoughts/opinions you might have to the forum!

1 hour ago, Tornadic said:

I was driving around on my motorcycle in the game, you know, just exploring, when several questions struck me 
What causes the Blood Moon? Why does it make every zombie know exactly where you are? Why is it only every 7 days?

I initally thought of several things. The Blood Moon might be a alien superstructure, that orbits the Earth, turning people into zombies in order to kill off humanity. It kinda makes sense. It happens every 7 days, exactly. It controls all the zombies to track down and kill all the humans. But maybe it needs 7 days to recharge or something. I think that would be cool for a story, if there ever was one. 
Also, the zombies will send screamers to your base (Or where there's a high heatmap) to scout out the location. This doesn't make sense for a dumb zombie to do. So maybe the zombies are being controlled by something. Also there's a lot of zombies in buildings, and that doesn't make sense. My theory is that the blood moon came suddenly, turned a bunch of people into zombies, and ended the world. 

Or maybe it turned people gradually. On roads, you can sometimes see newspaper fragments, and they have headlines like "Flu Outbreak" and stuff like that. That leads me to believe that if the Blood Moon is an alien structure, it gave a bunch of people a virus that turned them into zombies, and the virus could be used to control the zombies. 

I'm just throwing ideas at the wall here, but I personally think they're pretty good ones. Please, add any thoughts/opinions you might have to the forum!

I always love reading theories on how the world of 7dtd got messed up your theory is one that has definitely sparked my interest 

Blood moon as an alien device, maybe, but how does it appear in the same orbit and time as the regular moon?  Maybe the moon itself is an alien offensive base?  Radiating code to the nano bots consuming the Z's?

Or,  "During a full eclipse, however, something spectacular happens. The moon is fully in Earth's shadow. At the same time, a little bit of light from Earth's sunrises and sunsets (on the disk of the planet) falls on the surface of the moon. Because the light waves are stretched out, they look red. When this red light strikes the moon's surface, it also appears red. " From space. Com

A cataclysmic event has caused the above to happen every 7 days, roughly.  This would obviously have some impact on the tide s, earth magnetic field etc, causing virus mutations that become hyper active during the red light.  Like a sort of photosynthesis.

Edited by Rotor (see edit history)

7DTD... honestly it's like doom - there is a little bit story but who cares xd. 

And this aliens idea sound to much like "SyFy"  channel ( know for strange movies like sharknado 3) Sci FI  class B movie idea.

7dtd supposed to be typical " virus show up, then nukes" setting. Lack of lore is sad but... it's too late for that. TFP focused on gameplay so this is too much too late for good lore +  their decision to make this game more as mod base create some... limitations in world building 

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

A couple of the traders make comments about making protection money.  So I suspect the Duke is involved with the blood moon cycle somehow.

There's other clues about the apocalypse. Some which seem a bit out of anachronistic - or at least difficult to tell when things happened and how long between them. Newspaper clippings of nukes, flu, missing people boards. But also books on survival, which seems to suggest society adapted to at least one of the disasters before the other one hit?

Who knows, they might work more lore into the final game.

Just the other day I saw a post on the Steam forums that posited a theory about the main character. As part of the theory it covered skills, healing, lack of sleeping, the traders, military installations, and the blood moon.

TLDR: You're a variant zombie, a super soldier experiment to be exact.

(Though not in the forum post, this would also explain the odd radiation barriers at the edges of the map.)

On 6/1/2022 at 11:19 AM, Tornadic said:

Why does it make every zombie know exactly where you are? Why is it only every 7 days?

Because it's called 7 days to die lol. Every 7 days the zombies get more desperate which heightens their senses 10 fold.

On a more serious note, I would love for them to add in a feature for hordes like Project Zomboid's helicopter event.  In that game, a helicopter will randomly fly by once every 6-9 days and it will continue to hover above you if it spots you for a period of time, and the noise of the heli draws in every Z within a certain radius to our location.  The only way to avoid it is to either prepare for it by listening to a particular radio station at a certain time. Or get lucky and either be inside of a building or a dense enough forest to be not seen when it fly's by.

I'm not sure how this would work with 7DTD but adding in something like this would not only make sense lore wise as to why the horde happens, but it would also make it a LOT of fun IMO>

On 6/1/2022 at 11:19 AM, Tornadic said:

So maybe the zombies are being controlled by something.

I've heard the FPPI ( Fun Pimps Pharmaceutical Industry) were responsible. But we'll never know.

13 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

Then why don't we need to eat brains?!?!

Your asking too many questions.  I mean, why do we carry 4x4's in our back pockets?

Edited by Sal (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Sal said:

Your asking too many questions.  I mean, why do we carry 4x4's in our back pockets?

So we can pull it out and have somewhere to put our multiple stacks of 500 blocks of steel of course! Wouldn't want ro be carrying those in our backpack all day. You'd get back pain quickly!

15 hours ago, Pernicious said:

Then why don't we need to eat brains?!?!

The 7dtd zombies never seem to target your head when you "die". If you look at the death animation, they seem to be targeting your midsection, i.e. organs. Also, most of the corpses lying around are missing their part of their torso and legs. The heads are mostly intact. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that 7dtd zombies do not eat brains. 🙂

Aight, I've done extensive research, been in super close contact with everyone involved including their dogwalkers...

The story is gonna blow your mind, okay?

See, you're missing the first element. You never sleep. Why? Because you don't need sleep on meth. Hear me out. All of the "zombies" are actually your neighbors, and you're just too zonked to understand. You're digging through bird's nests for eggs for breakfast and when they show up concerned BLAMO, zombie was coming at you, right? Wrong. That was your neighbor Maggie, concerned for your mental health. Too far gone now. 

Days go by and finally the whole town has had enough and they want to all call an intervention. It's time to put down the drugs. But you've made plans for this. No way they're getting you off the sauce, you made sure of that. You have spinning blades tied to car batteries you stole from downtown. That cop who tried to ask how your day was? Long gone. He had bad breath. 

You're amped to the max, the sky is red and there is creepy music in the background. You know something ain't right. The weird skin bugs even stopped itching. Then here they come, the whole town. Calling your name. They all want you off the drugs. They want their car parts back, hell some want their money back. You can't let that happen. It's all a sham, they're zombies. Look at them, they're all coming at you! You fight them all off, determined to survive as the guy who's house you broke into definitely tries to get even with you. Finally, come morning and countless shots it's all over... The nightmare begins again. You cook those eggs you found in your neighbor's backyard for sustenance and plot whose car you'll break down today. The mini bike is thirsty and adventure is calling....

Edited by Lenny Lettuce Lips (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Lenny Lettuce Lips said:

Aight, I've done extensive research, been in super close contact with everyone involved including their dogwalkers...

The story is gonna blow your mind, okay?

See, you're missing the first element. You never sleep. Why? Because you don't need sleep on meth. Hear me out. All of the "zombies" are actually your neighbors, and you're just too zonked to understand. You're digging through bird's nests for eggs for breakfast and when they show up concerned BLAMO, zombie was coming at you, right? Wrong. That was your neighbor Maggie, concerned for your mental health. Too far gone now. 

Days go by and finally the whole town has had enough and they want to all call an intervention. It's time to put down the drugs. But you've made plans for this. No way they're getting you off the sauce, you made sure of that. You have spinning blades tied to car batteries you stole from downtown. That cop who tried to ask how your day was? Long gone. He had bad breath. 

You're amped to the max, the sky is red and there is creepy music in the background. You know something ain't right. The weird skin bugs even stopped itching. Then here they come, the whole town. Calling your name. They all want you off the drugs. They want their car parts back, hell some want their money back. You can't let that happen. It's all a sham, they're zombies. Look at them, they're all coming at you! You fight them all off, determined to survive as the guy who's house you broke into definitely tries to get even with you. Finally, come morning and countless shots it's all over... The nightmare begins again. You cook those eggs you found in your neighbor's backyard for sustenance and plot whose car you'll break down today. The mini bike is thirsty and adventure is calling....

How much for the movie rights?

On 6/6/2022 at 7:52 PM, Maharin said:

Is that a 4x4 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

If something noticeable is sticking out of someones back pocket then I'm going to eithe; question my own sane logic and/or my own purpose in life in general. 

WILD ASS RANDOM THEORY:

Armageddon came from a meteor shower. Some of those meteors impacted the moon, which altered its orbit slightly. Now it approaches closer every 7-ish days, in an elliptical orbit.

Many of the smaller meteors burned up or detonated in the atmosphere, suffusing it with foreign particulate matter. The particles in the atmosphere are sensitive to the change in gravity. When the moon gets closer, they 'shine' faintly red producing the red haze we see each Blood Moon. In addition, those particles from the meteor shower exist within the Infected and affect their physiology leading to improved metabolism and heightened senses that allow them to hear a survivor's heartbeat and the softest footsteps, smell their natural body odor/pheromones, etc. 

In theory, protection during a blood moon is possible if you're in a completely soundproof, vibration-dampening room that's been hermetically sealed and the air outside has been recycled enough to reduce the chemical presence of a living survivor to the absolute minimum. But of course in the apocalypse a setup like that is completely infeasible so instead we just use guns, walls, traps, and the like for safety.