Not Medieval Mod - A Fantasy Modpack

arramus

Yes, the fish side of the game does actually have its own built in preservation feature.

The fish can stay in their containers until needed and even if a whole fish is taken out it will not degrade.

It will only degrade once it is changed to fillets which require placing it on a surface and harvesting it.

Here is a recipe requirement for Perch Pie:

3 Potatoes. Farm does not need to be harvested until needed.

1 Perch fish. Will stay fresh unless filleted but this recipe does not need the fillet type.

1 Corn. Farm does not need to be harvested until needed.

1 Boiled Water.

This is always a useful fall back in times on need, although I haven't experienced that yet.

I just tested changing some settings for the Archer and Crossbow. It is incredibly delicate. They are either very accurate or keep missing a lot to the point where they would be better off coming in and performing a melee. They are worse than Star Wars troopers. Up very close, they can hit with changes but they go into melee mode anyway.

18 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Nah, taking them out really is no option. Gotta live with it i guess. It´s not like we die constantly from them.

And there is a patch for sorcery mod already? Still testing i guess?

The patch arramus and i developed works, just waiting on approval from sorcery dev.

2 hours ago, drkstardragon said:

Accuracy of the ranged entities comes from npc mod, which we tested extensively for months and found that the current settings for accuracy are required to have them be any kind of threat,

That they are a threat, yes and it is good since your own range NPC doing good damage too.

But the problem is, you don't notice it when you got hit, an UI element what show you splash damage and maybe from which side it came, would be very helpful.

Did you ever encounter a goblin archer while mellee some other orcs ? You notice you take damage, you try to get out of the orcs mellee range and you took more damage, then you notice there is an archer and before you can hide somewhere or found him to engage him you are dead.

And maybe take armor more into the damage reduction.

They doing still very good damage while wear steel armor.

A small update for the NMM.

Both the Github Development Build and Moddb stable version have been updated and are identical.

NMM01 (6K) and NMM02 (8K) have also been updated to reflect POI additions and amendments.

For Moddb NMM Mods is 'Mods.27.zip'

For NMM01 the World is 'NMM01.8.zip'

For NMM02 the World is 'NMM02.1.zip '

Updates are as follows:

- 2 x T1 POIs

ME-Chapel by Shema. An introductory 25 x 25 POI.

20220611233003_1.thumb.jpg.132810d8d0594022bbd4aa57cca0fd77.jpg

Oakraven Trading - Another introductory 25x25 POI.

20220611233120_1.thumb.jpg.dcf40950d24d6a8692018d034fbe871f.jpg

In addition, T5 Cursed Manor has been given a T4 status and seen spawns reduce by about 5-15% depending on random spawn counts.

This is a small step to address the lack of T4 POIs. Cursed Manor is located within the Town Tiling system and out in the Wilderness so there will be variable locations.

- Updates to random menu screens.

The CP team shared a nice CP logo to place on the menu screens just as with the NPCMod logo.
The Medievil Village is a fundamental and central part of the NMM and this recognises that.

20220611233255_1.thumb.jpg.c7a9f5196d5f90fc6e566543b05d5032.jpg

-------

As for POIs, in the Town Tiling system this gives us.

T1

Jarls Estate (F+C)

Medieval House 2 (F+C)

Galera (F+C)

Medieval Dragon New (F+C)

Blacksmith (F+C)

Stables 1 (F+C)

Remnant House 04 (F+C)

Bric a Brac (F+C)

Church (F+C)

Oakraven Trading (F+C)

T2
Windmill (F+C)

Tower (F+C)

Stone Church (F+C)

Mill (F+C)

Lion's Pride (F+C)

Medieval House (F+C)

Bakery (F+C)

Alchemist (F+C)

Shema House 1 (F+C)

Skinny Finger (F+C)

Shema House 2 (F+C)

T3
Watermill (F+C)

House Pigeon (F+C)

Castle Destroyed (F+C)

Castle 05 (F+C)

Castle Zyncosa (F+C)

Bone Henge (F+C)

T4
Windmill Retro (F+C)

Bandits Joust Arena (F+C)

Cursed Manor (F+C)

T5
Tudor Village (F+C)

Tavern (F+C)

Stillwater Castle (F+C)

Sly Ship (F+C)

Notre Damn (F+C)

Galeon Docks (F+C)

Doune Castle (F+C)

DnY Castle M1 (F+C)

Clock Tower (F+C)

Castle Spartan (F+C)

Castle Libby (F+C)

Total town and wilderness questable POIs account for:

13 T1 Quests

11 T2 Quests

9 T3 Quests (Update to add Bone Henge)

4 T4 Quests (Updated to add Dark Henge)

13 T5 Quests

T1 and T2 is very nicely supported.

T3 is very acceptable.

T4 is still in need and something for the future.

T5 is very nicely supported.

Edited by arramus (see edit history)

11 hours ago, arramus said:

A video or written guide would be a very useful feature for new players or players who haven't explored things as much as you/your community have.

The initial main description is a basic overview and was added very early in development. As such, it is a typo fest with big gaps for sure but will remain that way until Darkstardragon returns from an NMM/Sorcery hybrid Quest and considers how balanced everything was. This is a much needed first hand play test run through.

Good to hear a nice mix of feedback on this.

Re: guide

Does this mean we're waiting a bit until Dark is done?  That's ok by me since I'm a little swamped for another week.

Re: spoilage

The worst thing so far is that the honey spoils, which defies common sense.

The most unclear part is if only stacked items affect each other, or if entire containers affect each other.  It'd be good to know if what's in the same container affects each other as a game mechanic or not.

Ideally spoilage rate slows down with some combination of the skill of the cook and if the food is in a special container.  Pre-industrial societies definitely did things with snow, plus we have magic as an option here.

The overall food availability is good but the spoilage rate is quick for quality-1 foods.  I don't think we've made or seen a quality-2 food yet.

Re: jumpy npcs
I'm guessing someone told you about this.  We have one that's just continuously jumping 120 feet in the air in one place, even when we reload.

The Jarl Estate could easily be a T3. It was my first quest in the new playtrough. A ton of enemies, 2 with over 1000+ HP a bunch with 500+ HP. No way that´s a T1.

NMM Cave01 could be T4 instead of T3. More than enough enemies, hard enough due to many archers.

Maybe i can try to build a T4 during July or i can extract the castle our builder is working on at the moment as a POI and adapt it so it fits for T4. Should be room enough for enemies.

Regarding spoilage, our miner/builder/farmer/cook is under constant stress due to this. It´s tedious af. Propably not a problem in SP but in MP you propably need two cooks now. There is a few workarounds, like having a cue full of food in the stoves/campfire that you only turn on if you need to eat, same for the meat grinder, if things are in the cue, they don´t spoil. But that´s cheesy af tbh, not happy with that solution.

And yeah, honey doesn´t spoil.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

3 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

The Jarl Estate could easily be a T3. It was my first quest in the new playtrough. A ton of enemies, 2 with over 1000+ HP a bunch with 500+ HP. No way that´s a T1.

NMM Cave01 could be T4 instead of T3. More than enough enemies, hard enough due to many archers.

Maybe i can try to build a T4 during July or i can extract the castle our builder is working on at the moment as a POI and adapt it so it fits for T4. Should be room enough for enemies.

Regarding spoilage, our miner/builder/farmer/cook is under constant stress due to this. It´s tedious af. Propably not a problem in SP but in MP you propably need two cooks now. There is a few workarounds, like having a cue full of food in the stoves/campfire that you only turn on if you need to eat, same for the meat grinder, if things are in the cue, they don´t spoil. But that´s cheesy af tbh, not happy with that solution.

And yeah, honey doesn´t spoil.

6 hours ago, BasicallyACat said:

Re: guide

Does this mean we're waiting a bit until Dark is done?  That's ok by me since I'm a little swamped for another week.

Re: spoilage

The worst thing so far is that the honey spoils, which defies common sense.

The most unclear part is if only stacked items affect each other, or if entire containers affect each other.  It'd be good to know if what's in the same container affects each other as a game mechanic or not.

Ideally spoilage rate slows down with some combination of the skill of the cook and if the food is in a special container.  Pre-industrial societies definitely did things with snow, plus we have magic as an option here.

The overall food availability is good but the spoilage rate is quick for quality-1 foods.  I don't think we've made or seen a quality-2 food yet.

Re: jumpy npcs
I'm guessing someone told you about this.  We have one that's just continuously jumping 120 feet in the air in one place, even when we reload.

Guide

Sure thing, after Darkstardragon's comprehensive play through, things will be clearer.

Jumpy NPCS.

I have only seen this when the NPCs interact with certain kinds of obstacles such as uneven debris. The continual jumping is a new one. A20 voxel worlds are certainly behaving differently to A19 and there are some very odd irregularities when digging with tiny slithers of terrain never deleting or stretching. This may also impact the NPC pathing.

Food Spoilage

The main comments so far:

- Honey should not, or is a lot less prone to spoil because of its high sugar content and anti-microbiological enzymes.

- It is complicated to stack food for any duration since stacking moves to the lowest denominator.

- In communities, players who take specific roles which can certainly take a lot of take (mining, building) are feeling the spoilage time constraints as they go about their business.

Requests or Current Workarounds

- Maintain a stock of fish in the fish farming side of the game since they are block type assets and not built into the spoilage system.

- Maintain a stock of Honey comb which is not built into the spoilage system.

- Take the Baker Trader Quest for eggs and honey before they spoil as the reward is seed bundles for T1, T2, and T3 choices for the farm.

- Introduce a skill based gain in time.

- Introduce a storage container which buffs the food items to reduce/stop spoilage.

It seems time of spoiling is a critical factor here as many comments point to being in a state of catch up.

POIs

Feel free to search for additional candidates or share potential offerings.

And yes, some POIs are quite liberal in how they've been assessed and assigned Quest Tiers. The extremes in regular gameplay show there is no real standard as there is overlap between Quest Tiers and a wide spectrum of values. The most recent offerings in the CP are very well regulated while some of the older ones did not have so much regulation. We were reluctant to change any as this would infringe the agreement on using them. We could change the Cursed Manor as that was created in house.

16 hours ago, arramus said:

Requests or Current Workarounds

- Maintain a stock of fish in the fish farming side of the game since they are block type assets and not built into the spoilage system.

- Maintain a stock of Honey comb which is not built into the spoilage system.

- Take the Baker Trader Quest for eggs and honey before they spoil as the reward is seed bundles for T1, T2, and T3 choices for the farm.

- Introduce a skill based gain in time.

- Introduce a storage container which buffs the food items to reduce/stop spoilage.

It seems time of spoiling is a critical factor here as many comments point to being in a state of catch up.

All of those workarounds and mod plans sound good.  But I'd strongly recommend taking the honey out of the spoilage system.

If you do a quick search on how long honey lasts you'll find different ways of answering the question but it's reasonable to say 'thousands of years'.  The consequence after a few years is only that it's less yummy (the aeromatics from flowers fade away).

I think it'd be a bad mistake to have the in-game honey continue to spoil.

We haven't gotten to the mod for a few days but hopefully we will play more of the June08 version tonight.

6 hours ago, BasicallyACat said:

All of those workarounds and mod plans sound good.  But I'd strongly recommend taking the honey out of the spoilage system.

If you do a quick search on how long honey lasts you'll find different ways of answering the question but it's reasonable to say 'thousands of years'.  The consequence after a few years is only that it's less yummy (the aeromatics from flowers fade away).

I think it'd be a bad mistake to have the in-game honey continue to spoil.

We haven't gotten to the mod for a few days but hopefully we will play more of the June08 version tonight.

I'll tag @Darkstardragon for this message because that is where the decision will ultimately be made.

Just a quick question for the main quest: Do i need to find another friendly joust arena when i missed to share the main quests with the others? Not necessarily importnant right now as we are on our own server and could have propably just shared the quest, but maybe something that might bother people on public servers. The chest does dissapear after you take the scroll out.

For us right now, i will just spawn one in for the others, or maybe i can simply share the next quest in the quest line.

32 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Just a quick question for the main quest: Do i need to find another friendly joust arena when i missed to share the main quests with the others? Not necessarily importnant right now as we are on our own server and could have propably just shared the quest, but maybe something that might bother people on public servers. The chest does dissapear after you take the scroll out.

For us right now, i will just spawn one in for the others, or maybe i can simply share the next quest in the quest line.

The friendly Joust Arena has no mechanism to update it or refresh it since it isn't hooked up for questing. Based on that, it will see community servers have restricted main quest opportunities for players who join later. Even then, there is always that one player who may raid them all. For now, it may well be worth adding a server vending machine and selling them at appropriate prices or using a server mod to refresh specific POIs periodically.

Even if a player does find the first Quest scroll, there is no guarantee that the second Quest location hasn't already been raided which will conclude the Quest as each stage is linked to finding the next scroll. This does need addressing moving forward.

A small update for both the Github Development build and Moddb build to continue to address any POI Quest deficits and include assets which are kindly donated.

POI

Magoli created Stone_Henge in a much earlier Alpha build when blocks were limited. It has been shared for the NMM with full permission to do anything with it to match the theme.

Stone Henge has two versions for T3 and T4 Questing.

The T3 version is called Bone Henge and is for the Undead class. It is an open POI and players need to be careful when going too close to the circle.

20220614020903_1.thumb.jpg.b80a3cdfdfd2f788f22f96b0df4c37c7.jpg

And the T4 version can be found in the Wilderness and offers that greater challenge.

20220614020613_1.thumb.jpg.56063f69241c830bea15b4ce4dc1359c.jpg

This POI adds to the lore about how the Undead are brought back to 'life'.

Both NMM01 and NMM02 have been updated to include this new POI.

Bric A Brack is the biggest money making t1 (or even t2/t3) there is. If you want those dukes thats the way to go! (Youll have to figure out why its the most valuable in exact profit per run yourself i wont spoil it) Those who know, know

6 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Ok, good to know they don´t reset. No big deal for us, i will just take them with me.

I just learned that the main quest is a special feature aimed at SP or small (potentially one main group) PvE community servers where players will tend to stick together and share quests. I shall update the main post to let players know this fact. While there will be many other PvE opportunities that refresh, server Admin will need to be creative with this one; particularly for larger communities. Handing out scrolls on a POI which is not built into the Quest respawn system will see it get further trashed over time with diminishing returns. The only real solutions seems to be region resets in the region it sits or POI specific resets using server admin tools.

Added to first post:

Quests

There are an abundance of Quests beyond regular Fetch and Clear.

- One is automatically provided upon entering the game and after completing the 'Tutorial' stage. It gives Skill Points for completing a certain number of eliminations during Horde Night. Players who prefer not to have this automatic quest can delete it from their quest tree list.

- One can be found in the player tool belt and starts an entity quest to eliminate the Undead faction. This has 5 quest stages and awards experience and skill points upon full completion. Others in this series can be purchased from Traders.

- Another is also shared in the tool belt and offers a mixed quest of collect / craft / defend. This can also be purchased again from Traders.

- Some Traders have their own specific side quests which only they will offer.

The Main Quest

- The Main Quest is one which requires visiting certain POIs in a certain order based on the scroll instructions. This quest is primarily designed for SP or smaller groups who share as a party. It is not designed for large communities or public servers. A starter scroll is found at a certain central POI (which can be found in multiple towns) and leads players on a sequential quest mission. These POIs and scrolls will not reset and once taken or complete are gone forever. However, a server admin using server admin tools can reset the specific POIs or region that they sit in to provide a 'loot respawn' equivalent which will then bring them back into place.

The names can be provided to server admin on request but will not be publicly shared to avoid any spoiler disappointment.

From playing in sp and on dedi i can see some issues but nothing that requires an immediate fix. The t-mesh block tag will be applied to all nmm blocks when i have time to do so. Spoilage can be toggled off in the nmm blocks xml, and will most likely be removed at some point until some form of preservation is decided upon. There are some issues with quests ive noticed especially on dedi that may or may not be conflicts with other mods but will be looked into at some point. The sorcery patch is now available on the sorcery discord for those that wish to play nmm and sorcery together. I find myself busier irl at this time and have no plans to update the mod pack in the near future. Thank you to all who have tested and tried out the mod pack, and to those who contributed. It was a great trial run and hopefully things dont change too much in the next alpha so that we can get nmm up and running quickly and with more bugfixing/balancing and more content.

Added two more T4 POIs to the NMM Moddb and Github along with accompanying Worlds. One is a revisit to TFP's remnant church and another was shared by Stallionsden as it will be making its way into the CP49. It was a lot of groundwork and is much appreciated.

Remnant Church is rather beat up but has a scripted route to Quest loot and for finding the Undead.

20220614204544_1.thumb.jpg.bea86d34dcab71f49e8a9664af9c656d.jpg

20220615014657_1.thumb.jpg.a615256c0c67d2b60cf9baf39c3ff099.jpg

And ReKrypta by_Redzero83 is a crypt type POI. The colour coded lights are for a reason and signify trigger pairings. Very Doomesque key cards.

20220615014943_1.thumb.jpg.ecbe9f8ec462482a323b49090d5372c8.jpg

20220615015026_1.thumb.jpg.2a97603b344e825a9f77d4e3bdf526f6.jpg

As for POIs, in the Town Tiling system this gives us.

T1

Jarls Estate (F+C) - Medieval House 2 (F+C) - Galera (F+C) - Medieval Dragon New (F+C) - Blacksmith (F+C) - Stables 1 (F+C) - Remnant House 04 (F+C) - Bric a Brac (F+C) - Church (F+C) - Oakraven Trading (F+C)

T2
Windmill (F+C) - Tower (F+C) - Stone Church (F+C) - Mill (F+C) - Lion's Pride (F+C) - Medieval House (F+C) - Bakery (F+C) - Alchemist (F+C) - Shema House 1 (F+C) - Skinny Finger (F+C) - Shema House 2 (F+C)

T3
Watermill (F+C) - House Pigeon (F+C) - Castle Destroyed (F+C) - Castle 05 (F+C) - Castle Zyncosa (F+C) - Bone Henge (F+C)

T4
Windmill Retro (F+C) - Bandits Joust Arena (F+C) - Cursed Manor (F+C) - Remant Church (F+C) - ReKrypta (F+C)

T5
Tudor Village (F+C) - Tavern (F+C) - Stillwater Castle (F+C) - Sly Ship (F+C) - Notre Damn (F+C) - Galeon Docks (F+C) - Doune Castle (F+C) - DnY Castle M1 (F+C) - Clock Tower (F+C) - Castle Spartan (F+C) - Castle Libby (F+C)

Total town and wilderness questable POIs account for:

13 T1 Quests

11 T2 Quests

9 T3 Quests

6 T4 Quests

13 T5 Quests

T1 and T2 is very nicely supported.

T3 is very acceptable.

T4 is reasonable.

T5 is very nicely supported.

Is there any indicator that i am done with the main quest? I was at the third location and found 2 boss enemies, 3 chests at the 2nd one, no quest chest or any sign that i am done with this part of the quest. Couldn´t find anymore rooms or enemies.

Also i do loose my NPC´s a lot because they fall to death when i get off my pegasus. I always exit it at the lowest possible point, still they take a lot of fall damage and sometimes it´s just too much.

The Chaos Champion is the final boss. Lore will be expanded upon in the form of many more notes in next version of the mod pack, as well as the final boss will have a quest completion note. Probably not a good idea to bring your npcs on a flight if they are taking lots of fall damage. Btw, how easy/hard did you find the chaos champion?

Edited by drkstardragon (see edit history)

Well, i discovered the scroll for the first quest on day 20 or 21 and we finished it on day 27. And we were 2 people with good gear. So we were pretty overpowered. I have maxed strength, hammer and flintlock skills. They both didnt´t live long.

Can give you more feedback when i tried it in SP and earlier in game.

Love the model of the demon lord though. Looks awesome.

There have been a lot of pushes this week with the aim of expanding and testing new POIs to help give greater coverage to all Tiers.

Here is the last push with another T4 placed in the Medieval Town and also in the Wilderness. They will be identical for both locations as it offers quite a challenge.

Changes:

- This T4 is a reworking of the Hostile Church that was placed in the Wilderness but had no real function until the special quests were worked out. It has been populated with Bandit types (Orcs and friends). It is a TFP POI but has been fully repaired and re-pathed.

In the town.

20220615143616_1.thumb.jpg.ad31f7227d24c47b4f49b36121ac80fd.jpg

And Wilderness.

20220615140011_1.thumb.jpg.aaf5248088ea3be5db38fe796f739b18.jpg

This gives 7 unique T4 POIs (although Bone Henge and Demon Henge use the same POI with a different experience) and gives the potential for 7 unique choices from Trader offerings.

- The friendly church version which contained a Royal NPC collection has been removed. The Friendly Jousting POI serves the same purpose with the additional main quest.

@BasicallyACat

- Food spoilage has been set to 'false'. This means food spoilage is still hooked up but will be optional by toggling a command inside one of the folders. Here are instructions on how to turn on/off food spoilage depending on which build you are using.

Step 1. Go inside your '1-NMMCore / Config folder and open the blocks.xml file.

Step 2. On Line 4 you can see this code line.

<set xpath="/blocks/block[@name='ConfigFeatureBlock']/property[@class='FoodSpoilage']/property[@name='FoodSpoilage']/@value">false</set>

(may say true at the end depending on your version)

Change the false to true to turn on food spoilage.

Change the true to false to turn off food spoilage.

Edited by arramus (see edit history)

14 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well, i discovered the scroll for the first quest on day 20 or 21 and we finished it on day 27. And we were 2 people with good gear. So we were pretty overpowered. I have maxed strength, hammer and flintlock skills. They both didnt´t live long.

Can give you more feedback when i tried it in SP and earlier in game.

Love the model of the demon lord though. Looks awesome.

ahh k, thought i might have made the demon lords and chaos champion a bit too tough

Pushed a small update for the xcostum_Medieval_Windmill_Retro(by_Pashmina) POI. The Windmill with the Water wheel next to it.

It works very well for some players but is unstable for others and has been commented on in the past here and on the Guppy's Discord.

I could also experience some double spawning, and delayed spawning when doing some intensive testing and something wasn't quite right.

The update is heading to both the Github and Moddb locations as this can be deemed as a potential bug.

The POI itself is perfectly fine and set up properly. It has a very similar volume setup to default Army Camp with nested volumes and priority volume settings.

However, the new animal spawning feature inside POIs and the more intricate nesting Sleeper Volume setup are not playing well together with double spawning, very delayed spawning, and general instability.

The timid animals and snakes have been removed for now and nested volumes are now in their own unique areas. The dogs and vultures will remain and the Undead allowance has been slightly increased and moved to new areas.

Hey, this mod is amazing so far, and I love the concept. If I may, I have a little bit of feedback, and a a couple of bugs (so far) to report:

Bug:
Buying the 'get 3 honey' quest from the baker, with 3 honey in my inventory, made it so I could turn it in immediately. For free. He doesn't take the honey. I got 3 farm boxes this way.
NPC's killing enemies near me counted for my 'zombie' killing quest for some reason. Meaning I just had to watch them go to town on a stone circle area and reap the benefits for free.
Goblins and Orcs sometimes just seem to... forget they're in combat. Seems to be an AI issue. It makes them less threatening because they suddenly just... stand still.

I love the NPC's, and they make the world feel alive, and the enemies are entertaining - however:

I frequently have the problem of having a large number of fighting npc's around who just non-stop kill -everything- around. It's like I don't even have to fight sometimes because there's 3-4 guys doing it for me. 

Spawning in, enemies start to spawn immediately, and there are times where as soon as you start the map, you have an orc barreling down the plains at you, while you only have a torch to fend for yourself and whatever else you spawn with. It's not a huge problem to get a wood club while trying to outrun it - but it's still not exactly a great way to start a playthrough.

If you guys need any assistance beyond just playtesting, let me know.