Buried Treasure under bedrock?

steshell

Hi, I'm looking for the treasure in Jennifer's treasure map.

It spawned at the bottom of a canyon in the green biome but after digging down and reaching bedrock the icon still shows it as 2.1 metres down.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't had this happen, its obviously a bug albeit a rather humorous one imo.

The only thing I can think of to do would be to turn on the debug menu so you can clip through the world and open the chest.

There was a circle and I it was a treasure map I found while looting.

When you dig and are close to the treasure you get a little treasure chest icon on the ground showing how far the treasure is.

I've also dug outside the circle but no joy.

32 minutes ago, Junuxx said:

It sounds like you didn't activate the quest marker before starting to dig.

There should be a circle and no distance indicator.

I think the quest marker is only when you get a dig quest from the trader.  The treasure maps just have a circle on the ground.

16 hours ago, pahbi said:

I haven't had this happen, its obviously a bug albeit a rather humorous one imo.

The only thing I can think of to do would be to turn on the debug menu so you can clip through the world and open the chest.

I tried that but unless I'm doing something wrong it won't let me clip through bedrock.

3 hours ago, steshell said:

I tried that but unless I'm doing something wrong it won't let me clip through bedrock.

How many blocks down did you dig before reaching bedrock?  I am wondering if the chest depth is a set amount and if you happen to be in an area where the bedrock would be higher than the chest, you get a situation like this.

Workaround - Cancel the quest and spawn in another treasure map to replace it

You should report this in the bug forum with the coordinates of your treasure marker and your map seed. These are the kinds of edge cases they want to hear about so they can guard against them in the future. Deep crevasses are relatively new so it makes sense that a deep crevasse plus buried treasure could possibly equal problems.

19 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

How many blocks down did you dig before reaching bedrock?  I am wondering if the chest depth is a set amount and if you happen to be in an area where the bedrock would be higher than the chest, you get a situation like this.

The bedrock is the bottom 3 layers of the world, completely flat. Stone layer does change with the ground height, but the bedrock has no reason to.

EDIT: I seem to have misread you; you implied the chest would spawn under bedrock, not that the bedrock would change. What I said is correct, but not exactly applicable... oh well. :)

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

21 hours ago, steshell said:

I just tested that; I was able to go through bedrock in god mode. At lowest I was at elevation -34m, as shown on map, with nothing seeming to stop me.

You need to press the crouch button to move downwards; mine is 'c' but I'm not sure if that's default. The toggle version (ctrl) does not work for flying.

On 3/8/2022 at 12:28 AM, steshell said:

the icon still shows it as 2.1 metres down.

You see an actual icon in the world below, or just a distance display in the quest log? I was under the impression that treasure maps only show a distance, and even that is not to the box itself, rather it points to the dig area. Although, I might be happily confusing patches and quest types here.

7 hours ago, theFlu said:

EDIT: I seem to have misread you; you implied the chest would spawn under bedrock, not that the bedrock would change. What I said is correct, but not exactly applicable... oh well. :)

I am always misunderstood  😢

22 hours ago, theFlu said:

You see an actual icon in the world below, or just a distance display in the quest log? I was under the impression that treasure maps only show a distance, and even that is not to the box itself, rather it points to the dig area. Although, I might be happily confusing patches and quest types here.

Once you have dug around in the circle and it keeps reducing in size if you don't get "lucky" and find the chest it eventually goes to a distance to the chest they showed that in one of the Dev streams.