Another pet peeve. Mission rewards don't do me any good

ElCabong

So I go out and do the mission. Come to the trailer and I'm carrying a crossbow and a 9 mm and he gives me choice of 7.62 rounds or a book on mining that I don't want. The next mission it's an AK-47 and I forget but I don't want it. Didn't want the AK-47 either.

Why not look at how the customer is spec'd and equipped and be a little more inclined to give him what he/she is using? Like an SMG instead of an AK-47. 

Maybe this is a hint that I should be specing in fortitude. I don't think the machine gunner Perk works with the SMG. Does it?

This is why better barter is still king. Take the AK, sell it and use the funds for purchasing a new crossbow, or a new pistol, or buying the parts/schematics for these items.

Yes you might get a t5 crossbow/pistol from your first t3 quest, but you might also get items which just happen to be the complete opposite of what you're specced into. That's just the nature of quest rewards and you have to accept that sometimes the reward is essentially just a few extra dukes and not an item you will actually keep.

SMG falls under gunslinger perk.

If you go into int and better barter early, you will have the best equipment in the game by the thrid horde, garantueed (some parts might only be Q4 or Q5).

Traders are insanely strong. Back when they were introduced they were somewhat balanced, but you could make loads of money off them.

Now they are outright broken.
No loot that I find will ever give me as much loot as completing every trader quest tier.
I think it would also be a good idea to do another perkoption that says "get 5% discount for a week" or something.
But I don't think rewards should be geared to every player specificially.

On 2/27/2022 at 7:23 PM, ElCabong said:

Why not look at how the customer is spec'd and equipped and be a little more inclined to give him what he/she is using? Like an SMG instead of an AK-47.

I appreciate the frustration; but in reality the RNG is a key component of keeping the sandbox feel and it supports replayability.

As noted above traders are already overpowered and if the game then predictably gave you only what you wanted it would feel just too easy.  

I mentioned in another thread how a true barter option would maybe work.  Want that SMG in particular?  Do this, do that, do that, and then do this, and its yours. The intent is the amount of work would be much much more than a single clear/fetch.  

I know I have odd taste, but if I could turn off traders, I would. I never even used the trader until A18 and only because I felt like I was missing out on some awesome missions (only to find that they really aren't that special). Coming from a survival perspective, I always felt like I was cheating by going to the trader because every alpha so far, the trader has been OP. I find it cheapens the game because one could easily get through the game simply by trading and doing simple tasks. I understand games where you spend countless hours grinding through mines and chopping trees are relics of the past, but replacing it all with a few clicks at a trader really isn't a good replacement for me.

Edited by AtomicUs5000 (see edit history)

On 2/27/2022 at 9:23 PM, ElCabong said:

I don't think the machine gunner Perk works with the SMG. Does it?

The SMG falls under gunslinger as per the description.

"Settle your disputes the old way and be a gunslinger in the apocalypse. Master the use of handguns and SMG."

For future reference;

"Dead Eye" perk is for these guns  (rifles)
Pipe Rifle, Hunting Rifle, Level-Action Rifle, Sniper Rifle

"Boomstick" perk is for these guns (shotguns)

Pipe Shotgun, Double-Barrel, Pump Shotgun, Auto Shotgun

"Machine Gunner" perk is for these guns (Machine guns)

Pipe Machine gun, Ak-47, Tactical Assualt Rifle, M60

"Gunslinger" perk is for these guns (Pistols/SMG)
Pipe Pistol, Pistol, SMG, 44 Magnum, 44 Desert Vulture

"Demolitions" perk is for the rocket Launcher and every other "explosive" device/ammo.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:23 PM, ElCabong said:

This is asking way too much IMO. What if your with someone else who doesn't want/need what your looking for?  This is like asking your local store to ONLY carry the items that YOU need at a specific time while disregarding others.

You were doing T1 jobs and thus getting the option to choose from T1 items. (I.e the Ak47 is considered a T1 ranged weapon)

<lootgroup name="groupQuestWeaponsRangedT1" loot_quality_template="questT1QualTemplate">
    <item name="gunRifleT1HuntingRifle"/>
    <item name="gunShotgunT1DoubleBarrel"/>
    <item name="gunMGT1AK47"/>
    <item name="gunBowT1WoodenBow"/>
    <item name="gunBowT1IronCrossbow"/>
    <item name="gunHandgunT1Pistol"/>
</lootgroup>

To my understanding, all items are "grouped" into "tiers" ranging from primitive items (T0) up to premium items (T6) and your offered rewards based on the tier level job you completed. If you complete a T1 job then your going to be offered T1 loot items. Complete a T2 job and you will get T2 items. Complete a T3 ....and well you get the point. And as per the loot.xml "some T3 items get treated as T2" in certain cases, so I guess there is a bit of RNG involved as well.

After you complete 8 jobs of any tier you will have the option to choose from 5 random items based on the tier that you completed. Complete 8 T1 jobs and you will get to choose from 5 T1 items and maybe T2...(we been thru this). Complete 8 T2 jobs and.......well....you should get the point by now.

There are also 5 different types of trader quests and each of them have their own "tier", based on their level of difficulty, which also factors into rewards.

1. Fetch (T1-T6)
  2. Buried supplies (T1-T3)
  3. Restore Power (T2-T4)
  4. Clear (T2-T6)
  5. Fetch and clear (T2-T6)

For example, T1 fetch quests will offer T1 ammo, schematics, and mods as rewards

Spoiler

<quest id="tier1_fetch">

<reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestSchematics" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestMods" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo,groupQuestSchematics,groupQuestMods" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo,groupQuestSchematics,groupQuestMods" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
    </quest>

T2 fetch quests will offer T2 tools, armor, weapons, meds, schematics, mods, and ammo.

Spoiler

<quest id="tier2_fetch">

<reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestTools" ischosen="true" isfixed="true" value="2"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestArmor,groupQuestMedical" ischosen="true" isfixed="true" value="2"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo" ischosen="true" value="2"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestWeapons" ischosen="true" value="2"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestSchematics" ischosen="true" value="2"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestMods" ischosen="true" value="2"/>

T6 fetch quests....well.... you get the point.

Spoiler

<quest id="tier6_clear">

<reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestTools" ischosen="true" isfixed="true" value="6"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestArmor,groupQuestMedical" ischosen="true" isfixed="true" value="6"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo" ischosen="true" value="6"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestWeapons" ischosen="true" value="6"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestSchematics" ischosen="true" value="6"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestMods" ischosen="true" value="6"/>

On 2/27/2022 at 10:42 PM, Shi-an said:

This is why better barter is still king. Take the AK, sell it and use the funds for purchasing a new crossbow, or a new pistol, or buying the parts/schematics for these items.

Yes sir. Better barter combined with daring adventure becomes too OP.  5-25% off, better stash items, 5-20% more dukes, 2-5 items to choose from, and you get to keep 2 of them.

You can also scrap the AK for parts to craft a better machine gun in the future. Especially since mg parts seem to be harder to come by in A20 (maybe that's just been bad luck on my part tho)

A few things:

1. Completing a tier just requires 7x{tier} points, and you get 1 point per tier of each quest, so you can clear tier 5 with 7 t5 quests or 9 t4 quests for example.

2. The rewards for a tier completion aren't random items; there's a specific set of items for tier completion. These are generally bundles, extra dukes, and stacks of 500 blocks.

3. There is no tier 6 for quests and Fetch quests aren't offered at Tier 5.

Anyway. Yeah, traders are mega-overpowered already, so expecting to gear you up according to your loadout would just make them even more ridiculous. But also, maybe I haven't specced into machine guns but I plan to later, so I'd still like that M60, thanks.

And AtomicUs5000, you're not crazy. I think the game is more enjoyable without traders, too.

1 hour ago, Sal said:

Yes sir. Better barter combined with daring adventure becomes too OP.  5-25% off, better stash items, 5-20% more dukes, 2-5 items to choose from, and you get to keep 2 of them.

Every perk is pretty much OP when maxed out. You need up to 25 points (22 points when using the nerdy glasses) to max out better barter and daring adventure. On average you get one level per day. Which means it takes about 3 weeks to max out these two perks without spending any point to any other perk.

That sounds like a very unfun playthrough to me.

Don't forget the free 4 points from the starter quest.

I took a point in miner 69er and sexual tyrannosaurus and then rushed BB/DA in one game and I think I had them both maxed in around 2 weeks. Standard days and exp rate. I geared myself out, got a motorcycle, bought a handful of solar banks and solar cells, collected my 500 steel blocks, and then chugged a Fergit'n Elixir to reset my points and respec into combat skills while I went off to build my steel base.

It was kinda unfun but maybe not for the reason you're thinking; the problem was I was way too powerful way too fast. My game stage was barely even introducing feral party girls for horde night and I had a Q6 steel club, Q5 auto Shotgun, full Q5/6 steel armor, a handful of good book sets completed, and a base foundation of 5 layers of steel. Then I didn't want to just sit around for 40 hours waiting for the hordes to get difficult.

23 minutes ago, ElDudorino said:

Don't forget the free 4 points from the starter quest.

I have not forgotten the starter points. 25 - 4 = 21. One level per day on average would mean that you need 21 days. That is exactly 3 weeks.

31 minutes ago, ElDudorino said:

I geared myself out, got a motorcycle, bought a handful of solar banks and solar cells, collected my 500 steel blocks, and then chugged a Fergit'n Elixir to reset my points and respec into combat skills while I went off to build my steel base.

I never respec because I stand by my decisions. I never rush things and I usually invest points in Better Barter and Daring Adventurer very late the game. What I prefer is a slow steady gameplay. 

Sure, you can exploit everything somehow, but you can't judge a game by that. When there was learning by doing in this game, there were players who crafted stone axes all night long, hugged a cactus for hours, or mined ore with a shotgun. Was that fun ? I don't think so.

46 minutes ago, ElDudorino said:

Then I didn't want to just sit around for 40 hours waiting for the hordes to get difficult.

Well, that's what happens when you rush things. The Fun Pimps assume a normal gameplay and not someone who is min maxing.

By the way, you can make the hordes as hard or as easy as you want. You can adjust the settings or use mods. 

There is also a difference in how you defend yourself. If you just shoot at the zombies from the top, a horde doesn't seem very hard. But if you try to defend your base with a club and you have the zombies right in front of you then the horde suddenly looks much more dangerous. 

11 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

Sure, you can exploit everything somehow, but you can't judge a game by that. When there was learning by doing in this game, there were players who crafted stone axes all night long, hugged a cactus for hours, or mined ore with a shotgun. Was that fun ? I don't think so.

If the game provides unfun and insane ways to achieve things optimally, like hugging cacti; should the game not be judged? Sure, you can always just "not use it" - you can also just "not play it" - but why not try fixing the thing instead?

4 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Every perk is pretty much OP when maxed out. You need up to 25 points (22 points when using the nerdy glasses) to max out better barter and daring adventure. On average you get one level per day. Which means it takes about 3 weeks to max out these two perks without spending any point to any other perk.

1) You don't need to max out BB or DA for them to be OP. Even 2 sp in each one is OP. Especially when you discover multiple traders.

2) There's no dead set time for how long it takes to earn skill points since everyone plays differently. You may only average 1 SP per day but I certainly earn much more than that and I guarantee those who up the xp multiplier definitely do. This is also not even counting those like myself who play horde every night or every 3 days.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

There is also a difference in how you defend yourself. If you just shoot at the zombies from the top, a horde doesn't seem very hard. But if you try to defend your base with a club and you have the zombies right in front of you then the horde suddenly looks much more dangerous. 

I don't even build a base.....I just pick a random POI to hold down and by day 25ish I'm already so OP that I can literally fight the horde on foot and haven't even maxed out yet. At which point the game becomes boring and repetitive and I just start over.

The whole point system needs to be revamped. We should be able to max out our character without becoming an invincible god.

Get rid of better barter and daring altogether and tone down the traders by alot so that their not so much of a crutch. Maybe something along the lines of only providing meds, food, farming, and building materials. Better yet, each trader only provides one of each. Trader 1 only carries meds, trader 2 only has food, trader 3 farming, trader 4 building supplies......and that's it. Everything else you have to find or learn to craft yourself.

EDIT: And god sakes give the traders a coin limit. Not as ridiculous as skyrim but something.

This alone would make the game last longer and alot more fun.

Edited by Sal (see edit history)

7 hours ago, RipClaw said:

You should also consider that with Better Barter, you can easily get a tier 1-3 auger by day 10, and add to that the higher likelihood of finding art of mining 5 (create stacks of ores which give you massive exp) if you're constantly checking traders, and you can spend one day mining 6000 of each ore, then use an exp elixir on horde night while crafting and unpacking the stacks to get 8+ levels on day 14-15.

I agree that traders are overpowered, whether you're going for barter or adventurer or both. But part of what I've enjoyed about the game to sink so many hours into it, is the drive to find the most optimised and efficient way to do everything. Even after I found out how good barter was, I still had to do some experimenting and trial and error to find the best way to utilise it, and each time I became a little more efficient.

If TFP decide to revamp how traders work so that barter is no longer the most efficient, that means I will have a challenge to find the new, most efficient way of playing, and I welcome that as well.

Basically I question why there's so much dissatisfaction towards traders being OP: You start off the game with no knowledge, and through making bad decisions and incorrect judgements you learn and adapt towards more efficiency. Isn't testing and discovering what the most OP strat is, one of the great joys of a survival game?

5 hours ago, Shi-an said:

Basically I question why there's so much dissatisfaction towards traders being OP: You start off the game with no knowledge, and through making bad decisions and incorrect judgements you learn and adapt towards more efficiency. Isn't testing and discovering what the most OP strat is, one of the great joys of a survival game?

I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's because that efficient strategy has too little to do with actual survival. If the trader is OP, instead of having a zombie survival game, you end up with more of an apocalypse mogul game. This happens with a lot of space games. You want struggle against alien factions, huge space battles, sector domination, necessary exploration for exotic resources, but then you realize that buying unobtainium at one space station and selling it at another is all you have to do.

6 hours ago, Shi-an said:

I see it more as trying to get the most fun out of the game. My goal is to build a perfect automated horde base. A base where I just kick back and enjoy the show.

Therefore, building is an important factor in the game for me.

After all, it's not just a survival game. It's a mixture of different game generes.

That's why it's attractive to a lot of different types of players, and that's where these conflicts about what would make the game better come from.

For example, I am absolutely not a shooter fan. I hate shooters and therefore I don't like firearms. But I would never say that they should remove all firearms from the game or nerf them into oblivion because I know that firearms are important to other players. As long as the FunPimps leave room to defend yourself without firearms, I'm happy.

11 hours ago, theFlu said:

If the game provides unfun and insane ways to achieve things optimally, like hugging cacti; should the game not be judged? Sure, you can always just "not use it" - you can also just "not play it" - but why not try fixing the thing instead?

Have fun trying to find a progression system based on player actions that is not exploitable in any way.

The FunPimps have tested all kinds of progression systems. First they had a pure learning by doing. In A16 they tested a hybrid system and in A17 they had the current perk system but with level gates.

In every case, players have found unfun ways to artificially speed up their progress. Be it spamcrafting, hugging cacti, or farming screamer hordes.

If the progress can be influenced by actions of the player, there will be players who will try to exploit that.

Most mod developers seem to favor a model that is a hybrid between the current skill system and a learning by doing approach with level gates.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

In every case, players have found unfun ways to artificially speed up their progress. Be it spamcrafting, hugging cacti, or farming screamer hordes.

"Sure", for all of the post; but weren't you arguing against fixing the OP parts of the Traders? They've now "fixed" spamcrafting and cacti, screamer hordes might not be seen as equally exploitative, as long as killing zeds is used as the "basic" way to earn XP. So your examples are basically FOR fixing the traders / related skills, no?

12 hours ago, Sal said:

1) You don't need to max out BB or DA for them to be OP. Even 2 sp in each one is OP. Especially when you discover multiple traders.

2 points in Better Barter will only give you better prizes but not a better Secret Stash. For this you need to invest at least 3 points.

And 2 points in Daring Adventurer will only give you more XP, more money and 2 additional things to choose from. But what you can choose from depends on the tier of the quest.

13 hours ago, Sal said:

2) There's no dead set time for how long it takes to earn skill points since everyone plays differently. You may only average 1 SP per day but I certainly earn much more than that and I guarantee those who up the xp multiplier definitely do. This is also not even counting those like myself who play horde every night or every 3 days.

The design goal of the Fun Pimps, from what I've read, was one level per day on average on default settings. At the beginning it goes a little faster but later you need several days until you get a level.

Sure, if you don't use the default settings then everything can go faster or slower. Depending on the settings.

13 hours ago, Sal said:

I don't even build a base.....I just pick a random POI to hold down and by day 25ish I'm already so OP that I can literally fight the horde on foot and haven't even maxed out yet. At which point the game becomes boring and repetitive and I just start over.

So you just leave out important parts of the game and then wonder why it gets boring so quickly?

Sure I can fight the zombies on the street. It's even easier than doing it in my small starting base. But that's not why I play the game.

I spent two ingame weeks just building my current base and before that at least one ingame week collecting and processing resources. Since then I optimize and reinforce my base after every horde. This is fun for me.

There are a lot of mods where you have to deal with extremely tough zombies. Try those. After all, one of the great advantages of this game is that you can mod it so easily. A few days ago the Apocalypse Now mod was released in version 3. And with the modlauncher it is not difficult to install the mods.

The base game is what the Fun Pimps would like to see as a game for themselves. But they also put a lot of time and effort into making it easy to mod.

3 minutes ago, theFlu said:

"Sure", for all of the post; but weren't you arguing against fixing the OP parts of the Traders?

No, I was just arguing that the OP didn't play the game normally but simply had the goal of exploiting Better Barter and Daring Adventurer and then to respec.

6 minutes ago, theFlu said:

They've now "fixed" spamcrafting and cacti, screamer hordes might not be seen as equally exploitative, as long as killing zeds is used as the "basic" way to earn XP. So your examples are basically FOR fixing the traders / related skills, no?

They replaced the whole learning by doing system and didn't "fix" it.

In A17, people started farming screamer hordes by lighting campfires. In the end, only one thing made players stop was that you now can change the XP multiplier in the settings. People who want to get to max level as fast as possible just turn it up to 300%.

The Fun Pimps rebalance the trader with each new version. I don't know if the current version is the final one or if they still change something. They already nerfed the trader compared to A19 by raising the prices and limiting the quality of weapons and tools. At the moment the trader seems pretty balanced to me. But as I said before you can expoit everything if you really want to.

38 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

No, I was just arguing that the OP didn't play the game normally but simply had the goal of exploiting Better Barter and Daring Adventurer and then to respec.

I guess the difference is between "goal of exploiting" versus "I see it as the best way to progress in the game". If the game is giving a clear best way to progress, people will use it, and it might do well to balance it out somewhat. Telling them "not to" is just odd.

Now, I'm not entirely convinced that BB is actually breaking the game in a major way; it's powerful but it's not like it leads to similar levels of stupidity as spamcrafting stone axes. It just alters the looting game from trying to get equipment to trying to earn dukes. It does demolish the pacing of the gear curve, which isn't a massive issue for single player as you're now missing the skill boosts for the gear you have. For multiplayer it's probably quite OP, in multi that's just one player missing out while everyone benefits from the broken gearing curve.

"Fix" .. yeh, that's why I used scare quotes; the issue of spamcrafting isn't an issue anymore, while the resolution wasn't exactly a fix.

I don't entirely buy your logic of XP multi and screamer farming; making the screamer farming 3x more effective is somehow supposed to reduce people's willingness to do it? Sounds more like there's an issue with the default pacing of the early game and the screamer farming was a workaround (as opposed to purely an exploit), with a higher XP it is no longer necessary? Then again, I have no idea how many have stopped or started screamer farming with the multis, you have some data about that?

And traders will of course go through a couple balancing rounds still, I assume the gameplay loop is going to change significantly with bandits and lore features, requiring a lot of re-balancing. But that doesn't make them any less or more powerful currently. Raising prices makes optimizing Barter relatively more powerful etc..

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

Then again, I have no idea how many have stopped or started screamer farming with the multis, you have some data about that?

I observed this behavior among streamers like Kage848 or Grand Spartan after the release of A17. Since you can set the XP multiplier, I could no longer observe this behavior. They simply set the XP higher. It is of course understandable that these players want to show their audience something and thus do not want to remain stuck in the early game forever.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

22 hours ago, ElDudorino said:

It was kinda unfun but maybe not for the reason you're thinking; the problem was I was way too powerful way too fast.

Yea, intentionally rushing the game ruins it imo.

5 hours ago, RipClaw said:

In A17, people started farming screamer hordes by lighting campfires. In the end, only one thing made players stop was that you now can change the XP multiplier in the settings. People who want to get to max level as fast as possible just turn it up to 300%.

Nah, they do both. Farming screamers at 300% xp.

6 hours ago, RipClaw said:

2 points in Better Barter will only give you better prizes but not a better Secret Stash. For this you need to invest at least 3 points.

And 2 points in Daring Adventurer will only give you more XP, more money and 2 additional things to choose from. But what you can choose from depends on the tier of the quest.

10% more dukes and 10% off is more than enough to buy what you need. Especially with multiple traders and using grandpas sauce, sugar butts, a cigar, and pie. With this you can practically buy out every store by like day 10.

The design goal of the Fun Pimps, from what I've read, was one level per day on average on default settings.

Then I would say they failed miserably in this aspect.

I haven't played with default settings in years but I remember it being way too easy. And just to check if I was remembering this correctly I fired up a game in navezgane using default settings and sure enough it is too easy. I was placed 800m away from the trader and by the time I got there I already leveled up once, had two T2 iron axes, 2 clothing mods, a T2 scrap iron chest armor, and a T1 football helmet.  Night time is not even a threat. On night one I was attacked from behind by a feral Z and a wolf while completing a quest and they only did 26 total damage. That's a stark difference from what I'm used to.

My goto settings are; 1 life, survivor, feral sense all, BM every day or 3 days w/ mixed range, Z speed sprint(x3), nightmare BM, 64 Zs, loot respawn off, air drops off, and every else default.

So you just leave out important parts of the game and then wonder why it gets boring so quickly?

No, it gets boring because you become a god so quickly thanks to the skill system.  I find no fun in playing a zombie game where I practically cant die. RE: The skill point system needs to be revamped.

So why would I want to build a base when I know that by day 25ish I'm gonna be so invincible and have to start over anyways? By the time I complete my base, the game is over.  Plus, building a base makes the game go by that much more faster for me because of the insane amount of XP you get from mining resources and upgrading blocks.

With my settings, I can't go out and loot at night. That's a death sentence. I spend the majority of the night crafting items, prepping food for the next day, and defending a small area or rooftop from a seemingly endless amount of Zs, wolves, lions, and bears. This is more fun to me than mining all night. 

6 minutes ago, Sal said:

RE: The skill point system needs to be revamped.

You can revamp it as much as you like. Mod creators do it all the time and it is not difficult to do. Maybe you can create a mod that fits your need and also is something other players like.