Exp. from construction...

Morloc

I recall that applying concrete to the rebar frames used to provide a lot of experience.

Creating a concrete cube generates next to nothing.

Upgrading from cobblestone to cement seems to generate a lot of experience.

Can we bring creating concrete cubes in line with upgrading cobblestone please?

Upgrading from wood to cobblestone to concrete were concessions in realism to make for simplified gameplay....but with the removal of rebar, anyone that builds directly out of concrete is being ripped-off from a ton of experience.

(I'm presuming there's no more reinforced concrete).

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

This is why I chew my friend out when he just drops a concrete cube, that's 2 upgrades for me to do since he's ripping through the exp mining the ore.  Granted, I could mine ore, and I have, but I prefer to build and upgrade

2 hours ago, Morloc said:

Yeah concrete is 5000 hp straight up, and steel takes that to 10k.

I do like how the broken concrete in POIs only takes 500 hp to break out though, that is nice.  But we still had to break out the steel tools when we made our forward base in the parking garage.

Well cobblestone frames are basically the new rebar frames in terms of getting XP for upgrading. The upgrading path is still in the game, you can just deceide to skip it if you want. 

Want the XP badly? Start with wood frame shapes. Upgrading that to steel gives you 816XP.

You skip a part that costs you time, depending on what you build even a LOT of time, when building with concrete cubes. If you do that you skip the XP. Kinda fair tbh. No one is robbed of anything.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Just a note OP, this isn't just about concrete and steel. It's a general rule: You craft the cube instead of upgrading it, you get nothing, but start upgrading it, you get XP, it doesn't matter which material you're working with, the results are always the same with every material. If it's fair or not, that's a whole different matter. I remember clearly that crafting ANYTHING used to give us some nice boost in XP, but apparently many people disliked the idea and cried about cheaters who spend their real life time and in-game resources on spam crafting things which ultimately led to leveling up their characters faster. Then again, you can't please everyone and devs were pushed from every side to various different changes that led them (and us) to this result. It's a hybrid no one seems to like. Moral of the story: Don't ask for changes you actually may not like in the end, because chances are you will get them.

8 hours ago, Urban Blackbear said:

I feel this is a valid issue. It almost feels like a noob trap in that trying to save time by making concrete blocks actually slows down your experience vs starting with a lesser tier and going the upgrade path.

Except that "noobs" are probably better off not increasing their gamestage as fast as possible.

18 hours ago, Morloc said:

I recall that applying concrete to the rebar frames used to provide a lot of experience.

Creating a concrete cube generates next to nothing.

Upgrading from cobblestone to cement seems to generate a lot of experience.

Can we bring creating concrete cubes in line with upgrading cobblestone please?

Upgrading from wood to cobblestone to concrete were concessions in realism to make for simplified gameplay....but with the removal of rebar, anyone that builds directly out of concrete is being ripped-off from a ton of experience.

The upside is upgrading from Wood or Cobble to Concrete is now faster since you don't have to hang around in the Chunk to wait for the Concrete to dry.

45 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Except that "noobs" are probably better off not increasing their gamestage as fast as possible.

The upside is upgrading from Wood or Cobble to Concrete is now faster since you don't have to hang around in the Chunk to wait for the Concrete to dry.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing about the noobs.

I do not miss watching concrete dry, it's about as fun as watching paint dry. For the most part I still do frames, I'm old and prone to making mistakes these days, besides I'd rather get all that juicy XP. I do appreciate the filled blocks for being in a hurry though, so I think it's a fair trade.

46 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Sounds like something for a newbie guide, yeah?

kinda feel we know how to rush it and are planning a few moves ahead.

a true survival scramble would start with the cheap blocks and upgrade as mats came to hand.

then the xp is imho earned, you are figuring out the game and how to survive.

for the long termers, we want a base (forge, w bench, chem station etc)  operational stat. therefore there is a reduced gain for slamming down high end stuff.

fair enuff i reckon.

if you want to boost xp grind away upgrading then fill your boots.

in contrast to what i just said - a great way to boost xp is to auger/chainsaw up sooo much stuff and turn it all into cobble and concrete and upgrade the living f&$k out of everything you can with a nail gun.

oh yeah - with a learning elixer on. and you attract screamers while using motor tools...

20 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

I remember clearly that crafting ANYTHING used to give us some nice boost in XP, but apparently many people disliked the idea and cried about cheaters who spend their real life time and in-game resources on spam crafting things which ultimately led to leveling up their characters faster

Yeah, for me personally in A15 it was the main route to gain XP early game.

When they removed it in A16 I was disappointed at first, but now I see such XP farming method was obsolete and it's a good thing it's no longer in the game.

Edited by Ray_Garraty (see edit history)