Where does a POI start?!?

Cadamier

Well - we started a new game and duh... I put the forge outside, just inside 'the curb.'  After some days - I went and got a quest and when I finished the quest I came out and noticed that the forge and the supplies boxes were gone... Big Opps... I then realized that it must have been attached to the POI I was just in.  Previously this "restaurant" was fairly small.  With the new RWG they can be fairly big.

So - does anyone have a good way to tell where a POI starts?  Cause I like to put down boxes for loot when I go do a quest. 

if I am not sure of the Poi size, I always put a storage box on the opposite side of the road.

also, an easy trick you can do before starting a quest is to  make a line of frame blocks from the edge of a building outward. when you reset the POI, all the frames that are inside the POI tile will be destroyed.

easy way to see is in the editor.. but for those who dont bother with that, there is a slow but sure way in game by using the F11 dbs box... just step on a poi hit the F11 to see if the poi name is there... hit escape and move further away and repeat... you can place a frame down after you find the bounding box just to get an idea... but most sizes should (should) be 25, 50 and 100 square but there are still some that are not converted yet..

and this doesnt count for the small pois like poles and signs and player starts etc..... yeah they are pois as well

give it a try. :)

Another thing you can do is to put something cheap down first before you start the POI.  I will put a secured storage chest down where I think it will be okay and start the POI.  If I messed up, I only lost the chest.

However, I only play SP so the only clutter in the world added is mine  😉

8 hours ago, Cadamier said:

Well - we started a new game and duh... I put the forge outside, just inside 'the curb.'  After some days - I went and got a quest and when I finished the quest I came out and noticed that the forge and the supplies boxes were gone... Big Opps... I then realized that it must have been attached to the POI I was just in.  Previously this "restaurant" was fairly small.  With the new RWG they can be fairly big.

So - does anyone have a good way to tell where a POI starts?  Cause I like to put down boxes for loot when I go do a quest. 

So you didn't put down a bedroll or landclaim box in the POI you were using as a base? if you had then a quest would not be able to choose and reset the building at all.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, JCrook1028 said:

So you didn't put down a bedroll or landclaim box in the POI you were using as a base? if you had then a quest would not be able to choose and reset the building at all.

Well, ahh... No this POI was across the street from the 'base.'

On 12/19/2021 at 7:33 AM, Gazz said:

Look at the "core character stats" tab on your character.

If the lootstage changes then you are on the POI property.

AHH!!! Excellent Gazz!

On 12/19/2021 at 3:03 AM, Cadamier said:

All POI's start on the ground just under the window where the main loot is.  Jump on a few frames and knock out a window, and voila!  Loot.

Like many of you - I always put down my loot cache boxes for a POI in the middle of the street adjacent to the place.  If there is no nearby street, I look at the POI from a distance and kind of guess the squared off perimeter of a place.  Then I go outside of that perimeter into the grass.  And then I usually go just a _little_ bit further for good measure.  :)

There is a trick to placing your cache boxes outside of a POI.  Because a particularly dense POI will have you stopping halfway through, and needing to dump loot.  So you want to be absolutely CLEAN of the POI border.  But not so far that you cannot reach your boxes to dump loot when the distance danger goes yellow.  Typically - the middle of the streets are the ideal point for doing this.