Season premier: hater likes Alpha!

Viktoriusiii

Well it finally happened. The first Alpha I am REALLY happy with since Pre 17.
I actually enjoy playing the game. SO many changes to things I have critizised like years ago.
It truely does feel like there is a dev that reads all my posts, even those that get massive heat, and likes them and implements them... even if it takes years to do so :D

Negatives first:
balancing will be a major point in this alpha. Food is weird (I live a paleo diet. Meats and eggs 24/7), hunger for doing literally nothing is WAY too high. (I lost 60-90 food in a night just sitting in a corner)and water is literally never an issue (I think making the crafting time like 100x what it is right now could solve that, but that would only lead to campfirespamming)
Alphawolves still spawn day 2 and the trader opens up at random now? (maybe this is a deliberate change but is REALLY annoying without a good reason)
Ammo is still VERY plentiful (could be reduced by 50-80%), but since you don't get good weapons early, this isn't THAT much of a big deal.

And that is pretty much everything I have to complain about. I didn't get to hordenight yet (I will update this once in a while) so lategame balance will be adressed later.

Neutral:
cities/villages have a VERY square'ish feel to them. I love the layout but I think they need to be randomized a bit more (the spacing, not the POIs)
I always play on insane and I still think base hp of zombies is too low. I think Zombie HP on insane is maybe a tiny bit too high, but everyone should play at least on warrior in my opinion.

Positives:
every other change.
Love the buildmenu
love the upgrading
love the traderquests (the new one and that you can chose the tier)
love the rewards (far better balanced); love the end of tier rewards (I got a bike for finishing T1!!!!)
love the pricing at the trader
love all the new pois
love how the city actually feels like a city now
love the zombie spawning inside of cities (spawn dogs or vultures again! I want cities to be even more dangerous!)
absolutely adore the pipeweapons. Still useful (unlike the blunderbuss) but have severe drawbacks, but can also be repaired with pipes.
I love the droprate for schematics. I wasn't in a single bookstore and yet I found 5 schematics that needed and that I now don't need to skill into anymore.
I really like the zombie A.I. it finally feels more like random'ish movements, even though they still follow a certain path.
Love all the new animations, artstyles,zombies and general graphicsoverhaul
love the weather! OMG I LOVED IT WHEN SUDDENLY I COULDN'T SEE BECAUSE OF THE FOG!!!
and finally, the most important thing (that needs to be expanded upon):
The music. For the first time in... 5-6 years I actually felt scared being outside at night. When that creepy music starts playing, I check every minute for zombies while I am in my mine.
Hell even in my little house I was SO SCARED. And when I heard footsteps outside I didn't think "ouh xp-piniata" I thought "@%$#@%$#@%$#@%$#!!!"
this little change made this game a Zombie-Horror game for me again. EXPAND ON IT. I only heard 2-3 creepy songs by now. It needs to be 30 or so... and if possible it should be dependant on your surrounding (out in the open, inside walls, surrounded by stone) but that might be too much work. BUT I LOVE IT.

There is so much more little details that I really enjoyed. Honestly... I still really dislike the point-buy system. But with THIS game, I can overlook it.
Because I didn't skill anything specific, but what I absolutely needed. And it actually felt like I am a survivor.

Congratz Pimps. You finally got me, one of your greatest haters, to acknowledge that you did a great job.
Well done.

Now lets see how the mid-late game looks. I will keep you updated if I find anything that breaks the game for me again :D

spacer.png

DOWNSIDES:
Well I am further in the game now and the glaring faults that I thought were fixed have shown their faces again.
I still enjoy it, but I probably got overly excited by all the new and shiny stuff.

Many things have already been said, but I will just quickly mention them (the big ones deserve their own topic):
I love the new POI designs.
What I don't like is that THERE WARE ZOMBIES IN WALLS EVERYWHERE.
WHY??? Who plastered them in there? Were they built into the house?
Inside cupboards I can understand. They have hidden from Z's after getting bitten and now the player comes along and triggers them.
But in walls and unreachable ceilings? WTF.

Also STOP AUTODETECT. Seriously. Remove it. If there isn't a mod yet, I implore any modder to get on it.
There is basicially no reason for this. Either give us SOME counterplay (a tripwire alarm that can be lockpicked/cut or a trashpile that starts this) or AT THE VERY LEAST make the percentage of autodetect Z's dependant on your level of hiddenness. Value of 25 when entering the room? every 2nd Z' starts waking up.
Value of 5? Every 10th Z wakes up (50 as a baseline. Everything above can't be considered sneaking)
Sneakbuilds have one purpose: To clear POIs effectively without fighting.
If you take that away, it has literally no use anymore.

You re-HEALLY don't want us to have steel, do you?
When we said we wanted more endgame content we didn't mean "drag it out for hours", but actually stuff to do.
Bring back polished steel blocks and hide them behind INT 10.
But being an INT focused player and needing to be lvl 60 to get steel (I need some harvesting, I need something to defend, I need some for mining...) is too much.
This is a pure INT char. Now imagine someone who doesn't want to skill into INT. He will probably never get it. (Maybe there is a cruicible recipe, but I bet that is loottable-level locked as well) you get an auger before oyu get a steel pick... where is the sense in that???

BALANCE!!! WE NEED BALANCE.
I saw this when I started, but it has become EVEN MORE obvious.
Weapons are REALLY not balanced. Especially melee ones.
I like the bow/crossbow changes. But the machete is still by far the strongest weapon, the stunbaton stuns too frequently (to a point where there is basicially no danger) and every weapon staggers on hit. (it should be based on weight. So a knife should never stagger, a spear only on heavys, a club semi-regular and a sledgehammer every hit.

Why doesn't hordenight end???
Previously there was a max amount of Z's you had to kill.
Now there doesn't seem to be a limit anymore.
I have 90min days and I threw 25 molotovs and 19 granades... and they STILL kept on coming.

All I could do was repair @%$#. All of this was on day 7. (yes with 300% xp so a bit higher level but still)
If this wasn't changed, feel free to correct me. But I never had this issue before.

Edited by Viktoriusiii
updated from day 21 (see edit history)

Some decent leap in yet another proper direction.

---

The addition of more variety of tier 0 guns is great. Finally no additional blunderbuss ammo solely for one gun! Even bow got a buff!

Only Pipe shotgun suffers from blunderbuss syndrome of overly long animation, especially when only one slug might be loaded at a given time. Sweet Lord, have mercy over my soul... I wouldn`t say there is too much ammo, especially while I`m playing with mates who spray everywhere with your well-earned equipment like there is no freaking tomorrow.

Astonishing world generator, custom-made objects baked into the world generation process - huge positive. Finally, the city looks like a City! Underground levels and other complex systems! Outskirts - wow!

Warrior difficulty feels like Warrior. Feral wolves, zombies in the first 7-10 days feel like overkill in bright daylight, always. Call an ambulance! But, not for me with 1000+ hours...

Food availability - seems like a complete overhaul. I played with friends today and it is more difficult to keep all of us well fed. The trader has very low supplies for 4 of us as well. Playing solo for me is much easier nowadays when it comes to food management. Chickens and bears literally run into You to save your day, quite literally. Everything in this aspect seems different and more tricky at least in the early stages. It`s just different, I can`t say if it`s for the better or worse yet.

Devs, please add someday more music or something that could be called a soundtrack in contrast to random noise or the same 4 notes played in a constant loop. It`s not like I`m hating on anyone because even so-called triple-A studios fail in that department in 2021. The soundtrack improved and I truly like it, simply need more!

Vastly improved dog animations and art style, I only hope for the rest of animals having the same overhaul. More animals also in the future, please! Even more birds. Zombies can crawl even through one block! True game changer! New, fresh game mechanics is the right way! Dismemberance. Keep it going but have the option to turn that off too.

Absolutely love the building system and how responsive and organically this looks. Organic - my favorite word lately.

New objects, new crates that look less blocky, continue to move away from blockiness wherever you can Devs. Amazing stuff.

We finally moved away from candy-like, fortnitish, disneylandish art style quite a bit - I`m not hating on anyone again, no offence to anyone, but it`s the only rightful move when it comes to 7DTD. Don`t copy others - be an example instead. Be smart and avoid a never-ending identity crisis that leads nowhere except for the loss of fandom. Stay brave on this one!

---

Ok. The best thing about this one update... the game steers towards an adult-like crowd at least not in theory but in practice. Artstyle is way better. Sound keeps me in suspense, music, ambient sound, footsteps. On the other hand, there is no need for traders repeating the F... Fudge word to keep the game in a specific tone. Entire generations play this game so pay attention to what slips through the development process. Traders might be grittier, not everyone has to look-a-like a country music festival attendant. There are so many features I forgot about and worth mentioning, it`s unbelievable.

13 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

hunger for doing literally nothing is WAY too high. (I lost 60-90 food in a night just sitting in a corner)

I think there was more to your situation than you stated.  When I saw your high food usage, I made a mental note on my restart to see what I lost.

On Day 1, with no perks into anything, starting at 22:00 - I had full food bar and 3 leftovers.  I also was missing 4 hp.  I sat in the corner and did nothing the entire night (I was exposed on top of one of the burnt out buildings so I didn't want to draw attention to me and my pipe gun with 5 bullets).  I am playing on survivalist setting and 60 minute days (standard day length so 6 hours of night)

At 4:00 am, my food bar was now at 91 and my health was full.  In that one night, just doing nothing, I only went through 14 units of food (102-91+3 leftovers).  What is different in your situation that you were consuming 4X the amount of food I did?

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

At 4:00 am, my food bar was now at 91 and my health was full.  In that one night, just doing nothing, I only went through 14 units of food (102-91+3 leftovers).  What is different in your situation that you were consuming 4X the amount of food I did?

It might have been the lower HP.
I had to regen HP constantly. But even so that seems FAR too high. Why would you get better regen if that also means higher food consumtion? 😕
I feel like half the value that it is right now would be ok.
I also play on 90 minutes, but that is only an increase of 50% so it should have been 20 food (if I wasn't hurt)

16 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

It truely does feel like there is a dev that reads all my posts, even those that get massive heat, and likes them and implements them...

Were I to pee off the balcony above you*, it might truly feel like a summer rain shower...but that does not make it so. 😏

*NOTE: I do not encourage or endorse any unsolicited urination whether targeted or accidental on any person, pet or sapient being.

Any reference to such an act is purely for illustration and/or metaphorical purposes.

16 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

I always play on insane and I still think base hp of zombies is too low. I think Zombie HP on insane is maybe a tiny bit too high

Too low or too high?

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

Updated the main thread.
Added all the major downsides I have found so far.

DOWNSIDES:
Well I am further in the game now and the glaring faults that I thought were fixed have shown their faces again.
I still enjoy it, but I probably got overly excited by all the new and shiny stuff.

Many things have already been said, but I will just quickly mention them (the big ones deserve their own topic):
I love the new POI designs.
What I don't like is that THERE WARE ZOMBIES IN WALLS EVERYWHERE.
WHY??? Who plastered them in there? Were they built into the house?
Inside cupboards I can understand. They have hidden from Z's after getting bitten and now the player comes along and triggers them.
But in walls and unreachable ceilings? WTF.

Also STOP AUTODETECT. Seriously. Remove it. If there isn't a mod yet, I implore any modder to get on it.
There is basicially no reason for this. Either give us SOME counterplay (a tripwire alarm that can be lockpicked/cut or a trashpile that starts this) or AT THE VERY LEAST make the percentage of autodetect Z's dependant on your level of hiddenness. Value of 25 when entering the room? every 2nd Z' starts waking up.
Value of 5? Every 10th Z wakes up (50 as a baseline. Everything above can't be considered sneaking)
Sneakbuilds have one purpose: To clear POIs effectively without fighting.
If you take that away, it has literally no use anymore.

You re-HEALLY don't want us to have steel, do you?
When we said we wanted more endgame content we didn't mean "drag it out for hours", but actually stuff to do.
Bring back polished steel blocks and hide them behind INT 10.
But being an INT focused player and needing to be lvl 60 to get steel (I need some harvesting, I need something to defend, I need some for mining...) is too much.
This is a pure INT char. Now imagine someone who doesn't want to skill into INT. He will probably never get it. (Maybe there is a cruicible recipe, but I bet that is loottable-level locked as well) you get an auger before oyu get a steel pick... where is the sense in that???

BALANCE!!! WE NEED BALANCE.
I saw this when I started, but it has become EVEN MORE obvious.
Weapons are REALLY not balanced. Especially melee ones.
I like the bow/crossbow changes. But the machete is still by far the strongest weapon, the stunbaton stuns too frequently (to a point where there is basicially no danger) and every weapon staggers on hit. (it should be based on weight. So a knife should never stagger, a spear only on heavys, a club semi-regular and a sledgehammer every hit.

Why doesn't hordenight end???
Previously there was a max amount of Z's you had to kill.
Now there doesn't seem to be a limit anymore.
I have 90min days and I threw 25 molotovs and 19 granades... and they STILL kept on coming.

All I could do was repair @%$#. All of this was on day 7. (yes with 300% xp so a bit higher level but still)
If this wasn't changed, feel free to correct me. But I never had this issue before.

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

It does, if yours didn't you're bugged.

I meant as in "once oyu killed 'x' amount of zombies"

Obviously once daylight comes, the hordenight ends.

But in previous alphas you simply had to kill an appropriate amount of Z's and then none would come anymore (often at the 0-1AM mark)

3 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

I haven't played a lot, but the one horde night I have done this far, was indeed over somewhat after midnight. Nomad, 60 mins, I think 16 max-alive, half a dozen mollies or so. Pretty default everything else.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:06 PM, Viktoriusiii said:

But in previous alphas you simply had to kill an appropriate amount of Z's and then none would come anymore

It still works that exact way. Horde night is a SET number of zombies according to your gamestage. When/if you kill them all it ends. If you have not done so by 4:00 am then it ends then as well.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:06 AM, Viktoriusiii said:

Obviously once daylight comes, the hordenight ends.

But in previous alphas you simply had to kill an appropriate amount of Z's and then none would come anymore (often at the 0-1AM mark)

My 1st horde night ended like 0100.  You sure you killed enough zombies?

On 12/12/2021 at 4:57 PM, Viktoriusiii said:

Updated the main thread.
Added all the major downsides I have found so far.

Huh? Level 60 and you have no Advanced Engineer learned to 5 long before then?

14 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

Lucky Looter is debatable and Pack Mule is absolutely not needed, ever.

You say that.
But I personally like not being a snail.
You do not "need" any perk in the game.
You can play a perkless run if you want to.
(which is actually kind of a neat idea for a challenge run)
These perks are quality of life changes.
And I like not being slowed by 50% for half the poi and on my way back to the trader/home.