Freezing and Sweltering effects are too forgiving

Elwin00

Hello,

I have a feeling that the effects of both temperature effects are somewhat easy to ignore. Perhaps I never took them to proper extreme?

Once I wandered into snow biome to get to an air drop and got into a few fights, some of which took longer than I wanted. I was almost naked, it was quite early in the game and all the time I had the Freezing debuff. I was expecting to die but it didn't seem to have any serious effects.

How do they really work? I read player's food/water will go down faster if they are too cold/hot, is it all?

I'm hoping by release they add a "survival mode" that amps up the difficulty of the survival aspects of the game.  Or at least they add a difficulty slider for food, water, and weather to the game.  It would also be nice to have a setting for the relative difficulty of each biome.

But to answer some of your questions, yes food consumption goes up when you are cold.  Water consumption goes up when you are hot.  The more you move around and the more encumbered you are the more food and water you need to consume.  Wearing heavy armor will make you go through food faster than wearing light armor.  Raising your armor skills will improve this some.  I'm missing some things but I'm sure someone will let us both know what they are.  :p

Thanks for the answer! I also believe the current state might be just some intermediate stage.

Increased food/water consumption is a nice and logical way to deal with said issues, however there is a limit to human metabolism. At some point I would freeze to death no matter how much I would stuff myself 🙂

I think situation could be a bit more forgiving about heat; drinking enough water should prevent me from dying. I would be afflicted with heat stroke for sure but unless the temperature is really high due to forest fires or artificial heat sources, the character should not die.

I like Rust a lot and that game has some VERY harsh penalties for weather. I would say somewhere in between current 7D2D and Rust temp effects would be a good middle ground.

With that said, I wonder why they ever strayed away from elevation dictating temp. That was once how it worked and I personally think having desert bordering snow on a flat plane is ridiculous. At least make it heavily weighted towards elevation dependency for temp effects vs biome borders. That is just ridiculous to be sweltering and freezing within 10 meters of each other.

I'm hoping that biome modifiers don't stop at difficulty.  So they maybe add a "harshness" modifier to each biome (even if vanilla doesn't use the values) that allows a biome to have harsher weather patterns as part of the game configuration.  And if sub-biomes had their own modifiers it would be even better.

It would also be nice if they broke up each biome into day and night settings for weather so a desert, for instance, could be extremely hot during the day and very cold at night (like the desert portrayed in the game would).  It could also have adjustments for blood moon so that the weather could be adjusted for blood moons by biome (always raining in the forest, always super cold in the snow biome, etc.).

Ah you must be new here. There is a reason the system is the way it is. It used to be the system was WAY broken. It could be snowing in the old days and your clothing would cause you to be dying of heat.  Honestly it used to be constant clothes swap.  So here is the question do you want to play the game or constantly have to shift clothing. I already am spending too much time in menus trying to figure out what damn status effect is on me.  I think we need to gauge what the game is... what is the primary danger players need to worry about.  Is it weather or zombies I think the balance is correct as is. Make us drink more when hot and use more food when cold. But you can die still with the right mix of conditions. If your wet and cold you will still die.

Just like everything else, the feature will be best served with a spectrum of severity. kidmo wants weather to be inconsequential compared to the zombie threat, warmer wants weather to be more lethal along the lines of Rust, maharin would like a more survival vs the elements experience, and Ed never ever wants to have to change clothes for anything having to do with temperature change. 

Nobody will be happy with a single setting so hopefully there will be a slider someday that controls the impact that weather will have on our well being.

Perhaps it could be tied to the difficulty setting instead of a slider.

But a slider or toggle (normal/survival) could do the trick too i guess , as well as beeing more userfriendly. Userfriendly as in , some players want ultrahard zombie fighting, but not wanting to deal with too bad weather affects.  Or vice versa, or both.

For all the "difficulty/slider" ideas: I concur.  I'm one of those that want the options to turn on to "make everything kill you". I *do* feel that part of the issues with the games temp "regulation" and "making it so harsh you can die from environmentals like temperature" is that in the snow biome you can generate heat with campfire/clothes/forge/etc, but in the desert biome ( or anywhere really, but this is the hottest place, in theory) you cannot "generate cold". sure, you can drink water/drinks or take all your clothes off, but the problem of not being able to "make your base colder because its 130 degrees F outside" is a missing mechanic.  If you could dig "down" and it got colder that might work, or if you could build an air conditioner and power it that would also work like a reverse campfire but requiring power. (well, loot and 'craft working one from parts" maybe. Feels weird building an air conditioning unit)

If you had the "cooling" ability (with the already present "heating" one) then you technically have the powers to survive in any biome where extreme temperature could kill you. Then the "biome difficulty" could also be more challenging, in order of challenge:

Forest: maybe freeze, never too hot to die. but building fire is relatively easy

snow: will freeze, obvs.  but building fire is relatively easy

desert: will die of heat, maybe freeze at night. making items to "chill" the player/base require work/electricity.

wasteland: high/low temps both occur often and kill you.?  maybe this is too much ( with the other biome difficulties added)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Has anyone tested if being underground stabilizes temps?  That would be useful for desert survival in a pinch.

In real world, you go 10' down and the temp basically never changes. Usually between 55-65 degrees. Coober Pedy is a town in Australia that have majority underground housing. You never need air conditioning or heat.