wasteland zombies

ChickenWings

So I have given myself a challenge of surviving the wasteland up past day 49, without dying once.  Basically on start of game I do all the quick quests, and then once those are done ran around until I found the wasteland, then found a city and built my base on top of a building.  Current status is that I've survived day 21 horde.    It's been a fun ride so far!  I've got a forge, workbench, cement mixer and just built a chemistry station.  Food is a real concern, not much meat roams around, the animal spotting thing doesn't work.  I keep meaning to try it out briefly in a non wasteland zone just to see if it works there.  I did see a few wolves early on which helped meat-wise, but I think that was only the first week.  Since then the occasional snake helps.  I did manage to find some plants growing and finally have about 7 corn plants growing, once I hit 10 I will start harvesting for cornmeal, which is needed for a LOT of recipes.  So it's possible to find garden plants growing in a wasteland city to get you started on seeds.  Thank god more loot, I kept myself alive by looting food when my cupboards bare but it was close early on.  No quests available, that starting trader is a gazillion miles away lol.

So like mentioned, I've survived 21 days now, just using bow and arrow on horde nights (with iron arrows).  The only gun I have is a pistol which I found in a toiled on like day 18.  2 shotgun messiah places looted fully lol, no real guns.  Oh yeah I have a blunderbuss as well for the close encounters with dogs.  Just have to take the extra second and aim it carefully, which you know can be really tough in the heat of the moment!

Zombie wise, I saw a feral the night of like day 3 wander by my base at night, I just let him walk right on by lol.  Saw another while looting a hotel that I engaged out of necessity but ran because not much firepower on hand, and evaded thank god.  But not much else, no screamers, spider zombies, cops, wights on horde nights.  During the day have seen plenty of dogs now and then, and several times have seen 3 zombie bears at once.  Thank god rocks can be thrown and divert their attention.  By the way padded armor is definitely the way to go, you take more damage but a lot of times I see them before they sense me. 

I guess I'm just a little surprised it hasn't been tougher so far.  I have no doubts it will get tougher zombie wise as I get through more hordes.  But has anyone else experienced this?  Just using default settings for my challenge.  I'm not complaining, just curious what others have run into.  I don't loot at night, I'm either crafting stuff, resupplying or even mining iron or clay from beneath the building I'm in.

5 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

If it is too easy, adjust the settings or use a mod to make it more difficult

Also A20 will probably increase the difficulty, especially if you got feral sense on

Yeah that's an option which I had already considered and keep in mind for the future.  Thanks for your thoughts.

Tried dozen times wasteland-only run, the key is NOT to use traders - then it becomes completely different game.

Best I got was to day 80, with this setup: wasteland only map without traders, permadeath, no nerdpole, no gimmicky bases, 75% loot, 75% exp, no airdrops, loot doesn't respawn.

Several things that I found crucial:

- don't get infected 

- live on snakes and bear fat

- don't go out at night

- watch for birds constantly

- fortify your mines and make them with a way out

- as your range expands, build safe spots every couple hundred meters

- once you have AK or better, carry it at all times

How not to get infected:

Watch for birds. Put first point into brawler perk that gives you immunity if you hit zeds firsts. Watch for birds. Put padded armor asap. Watch for birds. Don't walk around with less than full health, even if it means waiting for a day. F*cking birds. Often I give myself the book for honey from trees right from the start - no stumps in wasteland and you won't be looting left and right any time soon, so a book gives you a fighting chance without making it easy.

Why and how to live on snakes and bear fat:

You will be killing a LOT of zombie bears and dogs, so you'll have a lot of fat. But you need some meat for proper meals to take them together with fat, to avoid losing health.

Put second point into animal tracker. Stop and crouch often to find snakes, kill them with a spear while walking backwards, whatever your primary melee might be.

Make 4-cobblestone-pillar platform on road crossing in front of your base, with wooden bars making the platform itself, and ladders on all 4 sides so you have a clear run&jump when chased by a bear/dogs. Have a chest up there FULL of spears. Throw spears at dogs/bear. Note that all the spears might not be enough for a bear if you miss the head enough times - you will need to jump off, pull some spears out from the bear or the ground when he's distracted, run around and come back up to finish him. Sounds tricky but if you need to do it only once it shouldn't be too dangerous if you are careful.

As your radius grows, make such platform (with spears and everything) every couple hundred meters. You can even build partial "roof" from wooden bars. Because visibility is often lacking, painting the ladders yellow can be quite helpful.

Note that bears have quite a few glitches in their animations - they can glitch through doors, tight spaces, glitch-jump 3 blocks - this is the only safe way I found how to kill them early.

Once you have a proper base, good weapons and a farm running, it becomes pretty similar to any other run. You just need to be careful random bears don't surprise you while mining, looting cellars, etc.

ps. difficulty is usually warrior but sometimes nomad, depends how I feel

Edited by ijese (see edit history)

Oh, forgot:

- watch for mines. really

Use roads for walking.

Don't run randomly, whatever your emergency.

Clear the mines around your base.

Clear the "corridors" so you can visually pick the safe route, even in the dark/bad visibility.

Check surroundings before fighting even a single zombie.

Check surroundings before back pedaling. 

Maybe take a perk that gives you half a sec/sec more.

I'm not completely convinced about the perk. Tried it couple times, sometimes it lets you survive, but it's better to learn how to avoid the mines completely. And with such setup, you are starved for skills so each one is precious.

Edited by ijese (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Mastermind said:

That's like...  1 year old news! 😛

Happy birthday! :D 

He's been waiting all this time for his big batch of A18 Hobo Stew to finish cooking. That's why he wasn't around to find out about A19 Hobo Stew until now. ;)

On 9/3/2021 at 2:22 PM, Mastermind said:

That's like...  1 year old news! 😛

Happy birthday! :D 

Snarky.   But consider the fact that regardless of the information you provided, I still have zero desire to actually eat out of virtual trash cans anyway.  I can still be happy for those that do, however.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:37 PM, Roland said:

He's been waiting all this time for his big batch of A18 Hobo Stew to finish cooking. That's why he wasn't around to find out about A19 Hobo Stew until now. ;)

I just gave up on the idea of it being valuable as a food item when I found it so much more economically approachable to simply use the undead hamburger to make garden plots so I can enjoy other foods that took less time to prepare.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:20 AM, ChickenWings said:

Zombie wise, I saw a feral the night of like day 3 wander by my base at night, I just let him walk right on by lol.  Saw another while looting a hotel that I engaged out of necessity but ran because not much firepower on hand, and evaded thank god.  But not much else, no screamers, spider zombies, cops, wights on horde nights.  During the day have seen plenty of dogs now and then, and several times have seen 3 zombie bears at once.  Thank god rocks can be thrown and divert their attention.  By the way padded armor is definitely the way to go, you take more damage but a lot of times I see them before they sense me. 

I guess I'm just a little surprised it hasn't been tougher so far.  I have no doubts it will get tougher zombie wise as I get through more hordes.  But has anyone else experienced this?  Just using default settings for my challenge.  I'm not complaining, just curious what others have run into.  I don't loot at night, I'm either crafting stuff, resupplying or even mining iron or clay from beneath the building I'm in.

Zombie type is related to your game stage (which is related to days and level with a negative when you die). You might be leveling too slow which is why you don't see many of the higher level zombies.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, Treb said:

Zombie type is related to your game stage (which is related to days and level with a negative when you die). You might be leveling too slow which is why you don't see many of the higher level zombies.

Maybe that's why, I'll check my level next time I'm in.  Just cleared day 28 recently (have not had much time to play sadly), and I heard one screamer and one spider during horde night but that's it.  I expect next horde night to be tougher though.

On 8/31/2021 at 12:39 AM, Evil_Geoff said:

Two words:

Hobo Stew.

'Nuff said.

Unless you find the recipe for that, it seems to cost way too many skill points.  The pumpkin stuff seems pretty good, and the meat and potatoes meal I think.  (no egg needed)

On 8/30/2021 at 5:05 PM, ijese said:

Tried dozen times wasteland-only run, the key is NOT to use traders - then it becomes completely different game.

Thank you for the tips!  A lot of that I have already figured out on my own so far, just finished day 28 horde recently.  And yes, the birds can be brutal once you are wounded.  If I get hurt enough to draw bird attention I start taking pain killers and red tea ASAP!  And you stumble across a bear or dog running from birds have fun with that!

My animal tracker does not work in wasteland.  I'll get the message an animal is near but nothing shows up if I turn 360 degrees.  If I cross a boundary into say the woods it works just fine.  So yeah meat is very hard to come by, I have to stumble across snakes.  I have a good garden now, 10 of corn, pumpkin, mushrooms, red flowers, blue berries and have those recipes unlocked.  Thank god I found some corn growing in the wasteland,!    Just need to go egg hunting a lot.

Rocks are your friend!  The padded armor works extremely well allowing you to spot a bear before it spots you, crouch and throw rocks to cause it to run the other way, hopefully towards a z lol.

Just found a double barrel shotgun, so have that and a pistol, woohoo!  Electric fence and iron spikes around the base, all I really need now is to find a crucible somewhere.

It's possible to find ore laying on the ground but is extremely rare, I mark them when I run across them.

The mines I can survive running full speed past them, as in being chased by a bear lol.  But of course any vultures in the area start dive bombing me.

I did not know about the spears and dogs, I will try that out.  Going off road is all about a balance.  You have to watch the ground so you don't stumble on a mine, and yet keep your head up in case of dogs or bears.

Still alive no deaths, horde day 35 is next!

On 9/28/2021 at 1:41 PM, JCrook1028 said:

Screamer on a horde night? You're playing modded.

Nope it's default settings no mods.  Maybe it was before the horde started, not sure about that, plus I never actually saw it but thought I heard it.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, Treb said:

Just checked level 21

11 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

If you find the book that lets you walk on mines without going BOOM! .. well.... then mines are YOUR friend. 

heh-heh.

:D

Amen to that!  Sadly no book

4 minutes ago, ChickenWings said:

Nope it's default settings no mods.  Maybe it was before the horde started, not sure about that, plus I never actually saw it but thought I heard it.

Just checked level 21

Amen to that!  Sadly no book

So your gamestage should be around 50 which is not very high.