Future of 7dtd - sequel or dlc?

Matt115

7DTD - sequel or dlc  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you prefer after released of "gold" version - dlc expansion packs or sequel

• Sequel
    • DLC AKA expansion packs

TFP has previously said that they plan to continue to add content to the game after release. Whether it will be free content or not is up in the air. They have made this game very moddable and because of that, any content they add that they expect fans to pay for better be significant enough that fans wouldn't be able to just get it anyway for free from a mod. So, most post launch updates in the future are likely to be free content. 

1 minute ago, Tellis Argonis said:

the pimps want to make a sequel or a different project after everything is said and done with 7dtd

okay so we can consider if it will be sequel  7dtd or maybe something similiar but with medival setting etc. If i good remember madmole like medival period so this idea sounds logical

3 minutes ago, Tellis Argonis said:

the pimps want to make a sequel or a different project after everything is said and done with 7dtd

TFP doesn't plan to stray too far from what they know how to do. So even if the next project is different, it isn't going to very different. Its not like they are going to shift into card battle games or top down real time strategy. I'm sure that whatever they offer as their next game, people will see it as a spiritual sequel even if it isn't a direct sequel.

9 minutes ago, Roland said:

TFP has previously said that they plan to continue to add content to the game after release. Whether it will be free content or not is up in the air. They have made this game very moddable and because of that, any content they add that they expect fans to pay for better be significant enough that fans wouldn't be able to just get it anyway for free from a mod. So, most post launch updates in the future are likely to be free content. 

yeah but in this sitations mods can kill paid  addons. so free content can mean "fixes" too, well it will be now content but adding nothing to game. honestly modders can add a lot - skyrim , bf2 or black ops 3 is good example. honestly fans can get everything from mods - new zombie models? mods . tanks? mods? honestly even more that paid stuff - you can make titans from snk without risk of sue if you make a mod. of dunno characters from walking dead as playermodels for example.

Add to this :   devs will never add controversial things in dlc for example - occult cult or skinhead army because law in germany australia bla bla bla.  Moders can do this only

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

yeah but in this sitations mods can kill paid  addons. so free content can mean "fixes" too, well it will be now content but adding nothing to game. honestly modders can add a lot - skyrim , bf2 or black ops 3 is good example. honestly fans can get everything from mods - new zombie models? mods . tanks? mods? honestly even more that paid stuff - you can make titans from snk without risk of sue if you make a mod. of dunno characters from walking dead as playermodels for example.

Add to this :   devs will never add controversial things in dlc for example - occult cult or skinhead army because law in germany australia bla bla bla.  Moders can do this only

In case you weren’t aware, Madmole got his start in games by making mods for Skyrim if I remember correctly. So he really understands what should be modded and what should come from the developers. I would expect to see quite high-end unique stuff from any dlc while continuing to support the great stuff coming from the modding community.

1 minute ago, Star69 said:

In case you weren’t aware, Madmole got his start in games by making mods for Skyrim if I remember correctly. So he really understands what should be modded and what should come from the developers. I would expect to see quite high-end unique stuff from any dlc while continuing to support the great stuff coming from the modding community.

and he probably know that only thing it can be done is sue modders but it will be bad for PR reasons. honestly some mods to witcher 1 are so "expanded" that it's looks like if it createred by cd projekt. so mods are good for  firsts games in series but sequels better to be not moddable. honestly mocd to cod bo 3 looks even better that maps to cod bo4. so people  bought it? well multiplayer battleroyal and story of zombies.

37 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

and he probably know that only thing it can be done is sue modders but it will be bad for PR

Uh….they designed the game specifically to be modded. They aren’t going to not sue modders because of PR issues. They won’t sue them because they will have given modders all the tools they need to do whatever their creativity leads them to do. You really have no idea about the attitude of the developers towards mods and modding if you think for an instant they are going to try to limit or discourage modders in any way. 

They will not which is why updates that add content that could easily be modded anyway will most likely be free.

Now, the sharknado …..that’ll cost. 

10 minutes ago, Roland said:

Uh….they designed the game specifically to be modded. They aren’t going to not sue modders because of PR issues. They won’t sue them because they will have given modders all the tools they need to do whatever their creativity leads them to do. You really have no idea about the attitude of the developers towards mods and modding if you think for an instant they are going to try to limit or discourage modders in any way. 

They will not which is why updates that add content that could easily be modded anyway will most likely be free.

Now, the sharknado …..that’ll cost. 

well honestly why for long time modding of cod was so hard until bo3 and why there is no mods to next games. because of dlc. that's why back 4 blood will not have mods for example. dying light get mod support after realease of the following. but i think for example stalker 2 will not have similiar mods like lost alpha for long time but it will get paid dlc. ofc there is mods that unlocks dlcs in payday 2.  so that's why 7dtd probably will not have dlc

Btw i don't attack mods - i just give arguments why spin off or sequel  or prequel is more realistic option after 7dtd get gold

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

I’m not sure why you are using those games as examples. A closer example would be Minecraft. The devs will continue to update while still giving free reign as well as modding tools to modders. Comparing COD to 7 Days to Die is grapefruit and celery….

8 hours ago, Roland said:

I’m not sure why you are using those games as examples. A closer example would be Minecraft. The devs will continue to update while still giving free reign as well as modding tools to modders. Comparing COD to 7 Days to Die is grapefruit and celery….

honestly cod and minecraft is more similiar that 7dtd and minecraft now. why? because it is not a "game" only - in every shop you can buy backpacks , newspaper about minecraft , lego sell sets with minecraft etc. honestly they more earn now on this  that on selling games from minecraft series (minecraft+dungeons).

Cod? thirts , mugs , bricks similiar to lego , figures , pins etc. 

Honestly - they must keep alive minecraft because this a system now - like star wars, warhammer,  lotr , cod , re etc

mods to minecraft add shields horses first that updates. honestly minecraft mods are so expensive. so add "expansions pack"  would be stupid right? 

So honestly create expansions pack similiar to conan exile and ark can't work in 7dtd situation

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

honestly cod and minecraft is more similiar that 7dtd and minecraft now. why? because it is not a "game" only - in every shop you can buy backpacks , newspaper about minecraft , lego sell sets with minecraft etc. honestly they more earn now on this  that on selling games from minecraft series (minecraft+dungeons).

Honestly - they must keep alive minecraft because this a system now - like star wars, warhammer,  lotr , cod , re etc

mods to minecraft add shields horses first that updates. honestly minecraft mods are so expensive. so add "expansions pack"  would be stupid right? 

So honestly create expansions pack similiar to conan exile and ark can't work in 7dtd situation

Exactly. And this is why TFP surely won't add silly clothing packs or skin packs (unless thousand of steam users demand a way to be ripped off 😉). But TFP can easily add anything that needs new low-level features, library changes and engine upgrades.

Even if those changes are trivial there is a sizable portion of the player base that will not install mods with potentially dangerous code patches. But even better are new features that are also exposed to xml.

For example imagine an upgrade to dynamically place loot in pois or a new quest type. Exposed to xml everyone would buy it even if something similar existed in a specific mod. Not only for the better vanilla game but because many overhaul modders would immediately use it to enhance their own mod.

Just for completeness sake I also see demand for new POIs in the correct TFP style. Most modders create fantastic POIs but they often stand out as being user created because of style differences. New vanilla POIs will surely sell.

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Exactly. And this is why TFP surely won't add silly clothing packs or skin packs (unless thousand of steam users demand a way to be ripped off 😉). But TFP can easily add anything that needs new low-level features, library changes and engine upgrades.

Even if those changes are trivial there is a sizable portion of the player base that will not install mods with potentially dangerous code patches. But even better are new features that are also exposed to xml.

For example imagine an upgrade to dynamically place loot in pois or a new quest type. Exposed to xml everyone would buy it even if something similar existed in a specific mod. Not only for the better vanilla game but because many overhaul modders would immediately use it to enhance their own mod.

Just for completeness sake I also see demand for new POIs in the correct TFP style. Most modders create fantastic POIs but they often stand out as being user created because of style differences. New vanilla POIs will surely sell.

i think this expansions must add a lot because small dlc often have bad or medicore opinion on steam.  so this updates is not enought : it need to have own map for example island, new items ,guns , enemies npc to be worth of buying. ofc some people will buy every dlc but most of them not ( example of bad dlc - blood for blood god to total war warhammer2 : well now a lot of people have this dlc because they was giving this for free from some time but it had realy bad opinion)

5 hours ago, Matt115 said:

You are going to have to tell me how physical stores selling COD and Minecraft merchandise has anything whatsoever to do with content upgrades to those games. I keep telling you that (like Minecraft and unlike COD) this game was designed from the ground up to be modified and used as a system for individuals to create games using the architecture that the developers provided. I just don't see how you are logically tying in mugs with how the games have been coded with modding in mind.

29 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

to be worth of buying

I have doubts that DLCs will have to be bought for this game. Like I said, once they shift their focus to modding tools and Steam workshop support there is going to be little that they can add that modders wouldn't be able to duplicate for free anyway. Why would they create a new map when anyone has access to infinite maps through RWG? new items? new guns? new quests? new enemies? --all of these have already been done by modders with the current status of the game always being in flux. Once the game is finalized and full dev support for modding tools is implemented there will be all of these possible for free from the community.

The devs are likely to add their own content updates that will match a lot of what modders will have already done (much like now) but they most probably wouldn't charge additional money for them. (much like now).  If there are any DLCs that would have to be purchased it would be for something that modders can't change like adding new biomes or ziplines-- something completely new that modders have zero hooks for adding. But I see that happening maybe once or twice if at all. The devs have stated that new features that they dreamed of that didn't make it into this game, they would rather make as a big feature of a future game.

20 minutes ago, Roland said:

You are going to have to tell me how physical stores selling COD and Minecraft merchandise has anything whatsoever to do with content upgrades to those games. I keep telling you that (like Minecraft and unlike COD) this game was designed from the ground up to be modified and used as a system for individuals to create games using the architecture that the developers provided. I just don't see how you are logically tying in mugs with how the games have been coded with modding in mind.

i mean : minecraft earn a lot of cash from marchandise this same COD.  7dtd almost only on selling copies of 7dtd. btw honestly maybe bricks with some location similar to this could be good option

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

I have doubts that DLCs will have to be bought for this game. Like I said, once they shift their focus to modding tools and Steam workshop support there is going to be little that they can add that modders wouldn't be able to duplicate for free anyway. Why would they create a new map when anyone has access to infinite maps through RWG? new items? new guns? new quests? new enemies? --all of these have already been done by modders with the current status of the game always being in flux. Once the game is finalized and full dev support for modding tools is implemented there will be all of these possible for free from the community.

The devs are likely to add their own content updates that will match a lot of what modders will have already done (much like now) but they most probably wouldn't charge additional money for them. (much like now).  If there are any DLCs that would have to be purchased it would be for something that modders can't change like adding new biomes or ziplines-- something completely new that modders have zero hooks for adding. But I see that happening maybe once or twice if at all. The devs have stated that new features that they dreamed of that didn't make it into this game, they would rather make as a big feature of a future game.

yeah that's what i mean- i doubts it will be paid expansions - spin off ,sequel or prequel sounds more realistic

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Why would they create a new map when anyone has access to infinite maps through RWG?

Well if it´s like navezgane and not done by random generation that would be something i´d like to see tbh.

You could make handcrafted maps that you will never get trough RWG or any 3rd party generator. With the new biome/gamestage thingy you could even create challenge maps. 

2 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well if it´s like navezgane and not done by random generation that would be something i´d like to see tbh.

You could make handcrafted maps that you will never get trough RWG or any 3rd party generator. With the new biome/gamestage thingy you could even create challenge maps. 

or maps can  have lore if TFP decided to add story

In all honesty, i’d guess the next major step for 7d2d after gold is a sequel but definitely not right away.

A sequel would allow for a clean start tech-wise and for features added at different times in the original to be built into the sequel from the beginning. DLC strikes me as less likely due both to high mod-ability/free post-launch content handling the stuff that can be done without heavy changes to core code and a sequel being more convenient for major core changes than DLC would be.

just my thoughts on it anyway.

looks over at Nexus Mods at the games with the most mods...

7D2D is in the top 25 games sorted by number of mod files.  Even if it isn't the 100k+ mods between Oldrim and Skyrim: The Next Generation (that's Special Edition for anyone who doesn't hold a legit nerd card), that 1.2K is a HEALTHY, happy customer base for a game that is still in Alpha for what?  Almost eight years now.  Mods aren't taking anything away from Bethesda, or their money stream.  Another Bethesda monster game series that was healthy and happy is the Fallout franchise, with something approaching 75k mods between FO3, New Vegas, and FO4.  We won't count the less than 1k mods for that abomination that is F76, it hasn't cracked the top 30 mod count on Nexus...

We have gotten a "sequel" to 7 Days every 6 - 8 - 12 months when a new alpha drops and breaks all our save games!  🤣  When I consider the cost of the game, and that I've got almost 5k hours logged in this game, it's the best bang for my gaming dollar I have ever spent.  Once the game goes gold?  You can bet I'll be lined up to see if they give us Dragonborn, or Nuka-World quality DLC.  And I look forward to getting modding tools like LOOT, Wrye Bash, TESVEdit and more.

Because yeah, I love the game that much.  I'm learning how to mod the game myself.

Sequels?  Abso-fraggin-lutely!  I started with Morrowind.  Got Oblivion.  Then Skyrim.   Fallout 3, New Vegas, Fallout 4.  Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, and if Gabe Newell wasn't flat out phobic about putting out a third in a series, I'd have Half-Life 3.  (edit to add:  I'm scared that Bethesda is going to do to TES 6 what they did to F76...  Gawd what a FUBAR!)

7D2D?  Hell yeah, I'll get a sequel game too!

Edited by Evil_Geoff
clarify opinion on sequels. (see edit history)

On 8/28/2021 at 7:02 PM, BFT2020 said:

Play Romero mod if you want more zombies.   Nothing like going to a trader and having to take down a 40+ wandering horde just so you can turn in your quest and get your sweet sweet rewards.

I like having more zombies, but I understand TFP's position.  They are optimizing the game around the normal default setting and lower spec computers so more people can enjoy this game, not around those of us that can spend the extra money on a new machine.

Romero mod has made me scared to go out into the city again.   I love it.