Future of 7dtd - sequel or dlc?

Matt115

7DTD - sequel or dlc  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you prefer after released of "gold" version - dlc expansion packs or sequel

• Sequel
    • DLC AKA expansion packs

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

good say - mods. not feature. honestly 7dtd as zombie game gave a little focus on zombie. in my opinion zombies should be "piority" and rest should be just added do fighting with zombies. now we are more focused on looting and crafting that zombies

First of all we players are watchers of the development, not directors. We don't decide what the direction of the game is, there is no popular vote for features.

Secondly the feature list (plus/minus some minor features) seems to be quite finished by TFP. They have an internal priority list with bandits on top. Presumably a lot of features that had already some development put into them, like legendary weapons, will also be high on that list. You can post your opinion a hundred times and it will not change that internal priority list.

Thirdly one of the things that definitely will be done will be further optimizations. But the chance that it will bring zombie amounts like in the mentioned games is practically zero. This might increase zombie numbers slightly but not by much (since they always have to tune everything for minimal spec PCs).

They probably will add one or two options into the game that allow to change zombie numbers better than now, but that's it. Also the option for zombie sensing range that will come with A20 will help. If thats not enough for you your only option will be mods. Mods are the **official** way to prolong the relevance of this game, that is the reason TFP put so much effort into making this game easy to mod. 

You can have a lot of zombies, yeah. But not nearly enough to have a real horde. Like 200. That will cause lag on every PC. And when it comes to zombies that´s a number you should aim for at least. A city should hold even more overall. Heck Dishong alone should hav more than 200.

And what is the best PC good for if they don´t spawn. Doesn´t matter how good my PC is, the world is empty besides from blood moon and 64 zombies during blood moon barely qualify as a horde.

And you say they won´t turn up the numbers a lot? Really? Better take out the word "horde" from the games subtitle tbh. I can´t hear that min spec argument anymore. Make it an option and include a warning that a potatoe will struggle to perform with a higher number of zombies, so everyone can turn the numbers up if they have a good PC.

Why do people with better hardware get punished? (Don´t tell me about other games here, doesn´t matter what those do or have)

So i really hope they will do a sequel and manage to get us real hordes with UE. 

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

You can have a lot of zombies, yeah. But not nearly enough to have a real horde. Like 200. That will cause lag on every PC. And when it comes to zombies that´s a number you should aim for at least. A city should hold even more overall. Heck Dishong alone should hav more than 200.

And what is the best PC good for if they don´t spawn. Doesn´t matter how good my PC is, the world is empty besides from blood moon and 64 zombies during blood moon barely qualify as a horde.

And you say they won´t turn up the numbers a lot? Really? Better take out the word "horde" from the games subtitle tbh.

I say their options to change fundamentals of this game, reality, software limits and hardware limits, are limited. You can pray for miracles if you want, but I don't see them suddenly hiring 20 top programmers or redirecting all their efforts into this one objective. I don't see them throwing out the rest of the game to get us zombie hordes or prolonging development another 2 years after they got bandits.

So unless there is some miraculous optimization they just not have noticed until now or there are (at the moment) totally unexpected gains from other parts of the game there will just be

1) moderate gains for zombie numbers

and

2) better methods to make zombies count for more through better timed spawning. I assume you know about the event system that was talked about for a while? This could help greatly to make 10 zombies that surround you look like 40.

11 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

So i really hope they will do a sequel and manage to get us real hordes with UE. 

41 minutes ago, meganoth said:

First of all we players are watchers of the development, not directors. We don't decide what the direction of the game is, there is no popular vote for features.

Secondly the feature list (plus/minus some minor features) seems to be quite finished by TFP. They have an internal priority list with bandits on top. Presumably a lot of features that had already some development put into them, like legendary weapons, will also be high on that list. You can post your opinion a hundred times and it will not change that internal priority list.

Thirdly one of the things that definitely will be done will be further optimizations. But the chance that it will bring zombie amounts like in the mentioned games is practically zero. This might increase zombie numbers slightly but not by much (since they always have to tune everything for minimal spec PCs).

They probably will add one or two options into the game that allow to change zombie numbers better than now, but that's it. Also the option for zombie sensing range that will come with A20 will help. If thats not enough for you your only option will be mods. Mods are the **official** way to prolong the relevance of this game, that is the reason TFP put so much effort into making this game easy to mod. 

yeah but : this topic is about 7dtd future too - so in theory ( we don't know their planes) so if it will a lot voices about it - they can in sequel add more of them because they can set minimal spec higher right? i know 7dtd developing is on end so i start this topic to talk about future. honestly @meganoth i think you probably have some ideas that could work but not here but in sequel right? we know they are working on another  uannounced games so maybe 7dtd2 is one of them. so if they for example will think like "ok in 7dtd 10 zombie in poi people so we can work on start to add more zombies" 

So don't think in this topic : "it can't work it's to late" but " it is too late now but it can work in sequel"

27 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

And you say they won´t turn up the numbers a lot? Really? Better take out the word "horde" from the games subtitle tbh. I can´t hear that min spec argument anymore. Make it an option and include a warning that a potatoe will struggle to perform with a higher number of zombies, so everyone can turn the numbers up if they have a good PC.

Why do people with better hardware get punished? (Don´t tell me about other games here, doesn´t matter what those do or have)

yeah i hope they will make it in sequel . but i hope for 7dtd with medival setting

3 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I say their options to change fundamentals of this game, reality, software limits and hardware limits, are limited. You can pray for miracles if you want, but I don't see them suddenly hiring 20 top programmers or redirecting all their efforts into this one objective. I don't see them throwing out the rest of the game to get us zombie hordes or prolonging development another 2 years after they got bandits.

So unless there is some miraculous optimization they just not have noticed until now or there are (at the moment) totally unexpected gains from other parts of the game there will just be

1) moderate gains for zombie numbers

and

2) better methods to make zombies count for more through better timed spawning. I assume you know about the event system that was talked about for a while? This could help greatly to make 10 zombies that surround you look like 40.

well this idea with better times spawning sounds great. or in some poi like military base when you hit "military " door it will turn on alarm and spawn some zombies - that's how some poi's will have more zombies without problems

That we won´t get 200 Z big hordes was pretty clear. But that the zombie count will just slightly go up after optimization is more than dissapointing. That´s a step from an empty world to a nearly empty world. Meh. Can´t really be the goal of development to have a an empty world in a zombie game.

13 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

That we won´t get 200 Z big hordes was pretty clear. But that the zombie count will just slightly go up after optimization is more than dissapointing. That´s a step from an empty world to a nearly empty world. Meh. Can´t really be the goal of development to have a an empty world in a zombie game.

yeah : honestly 20-30 zombies in military camp could be enough

48 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s more about the zombies outside of POI´s. They are basically non existent. I had days where i mined 24 ingame hours and not a single zombie showed up. That the  spawnrate outside of POI´s won´t be altered much is a joke tbh.

Honestly ouside in harder . because hm rendering etc in pois you visible is more limited

4 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Wait until you can turn on that zombie sense option in A20 and then lets talk again. At least what Roland and Unholyjoe where reporting sounds promising.

And the zombie limit per player is 8, but when did you see 8 zombies around you in A19? Practically never. This was because zombies spawned that never noticed you. Now imagine that limit really being used with zombies that sense you. Quite a difference

And then there is the proposed event system where you can get more than 8 zombies on you even in a multiplayer game because some of the zombies are "shifted" between the players

There is a lot that can be done without changing the zombie amount at all.

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

yeah but : this topic is about 7dtd future too - so in theory ( we don't know their planes) so if it will a lot voices about it - they can in sequel add more of them because they can set minimal spec higher right? i know 7dtd developing is on end so i start this topic to talk about future. honestly @meganoth i think you probably have some ideas that could work but not here but in sequel right?

That is exactly what I was talking about in this post:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25122-future-of-7dtd-sequel-or-dlc/?do=findComment&comment=441230

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

we know they are working on another  uannounced games so maybe 7dtd2 is one of them. so if they for example will think like "ok in 7dtd 10 zombie in poi people so we can work on start to add more zombies" 

The unannounced game they are working on is surely a different game. They will not start working earnestly on 7D2D 2 before they have 7D2D 1 out of the door.

I highly doubt that feral sense will change the feeling of an empty world if there is a limit of 8 per player. 

Pretty please with a cherry on top, make this an option in the menu so we can set that limit higher than 8. Sure make the default for minimum specs and make it clear that increasing may hit your performance hard if you have a weak PC. The current min specs is a dual core CPU. I mean yeah sure TFP wants as many possible customers as they can get, but a dual core? Really? Don´t think there is more than a handfull actually playing new games on a dual core.

That limit doesn´t  seem to be per player btw. We should see a lot more zombies in a group then when we are in the city. But it´s the same as i would play SP. Hardly any zombie to be seen outside.

Just now, pApA^LeGBa said:

I highly doubt that feral sense will change the feeling of an empty world if there is a limit of 8 per player. 

Pretty please with a cherry on top, make this an option in the menu so we can set that limit higher than 8. Sure make the default for minimum specs and make it clear that increasing may hit your performance hard if you have a weak PC. The current min specs are a dual core CPU. I mean yeah sure TFP wants as many possible customers as they can get, but i a dual core? Really? Don´t think there is more than a few actually playing new games on a dual core.

That limit doesn´t  seem to be per player btw. We should see a lot more zombies in a group then when we are in the city. But it´s the same as i would play SP. Hardly any zombie to be seen outside.

Play Romero mod if you want more zombies.   Nothing like going to a trader and having to take down a 40+ wandering horde just so you can turn in your quest and get your sweet sweet rewards.

I like having more zombies, but I understand TFP's position.  They are optimizing the game around the normal default setting and lower spec computers so more people can enjoy this game, not around those of us that can spend the extra money on a new machine.

@BFT2020 Nah romero changes too much. I would play it if the only things changed would be headshots only, more zombies and bigger wandering hordes. But he also removed bloodmoon and did a lot of other changes i don´t like.

The walking only also will get too easy once you reach a certain level.

I have a 170$ CPU and i can play romero with 5X spawn and large wandering hordes just fine. Too bad it changes too much.

And tbh, i don´t wanna have to mess with mods. A few here and there for fun, like flying sharks is noce, but that´s a shorttime fun for trying out once.

@meganoth I can already see that limit going down to 6 or even 4 with feral senses if that really leads to more zombies at once. If we now are on the limit for minimum specs that needs to be adjusted to keep it there following the logic that we only have low zombie numbers due to minimum spec.

There is no mechanic that can replace simply having more zombies.

25 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@BFT2020

@meganoth I can already see that limit going down to 6 or even 4 with feral senses if that really leads to more zombies at once. If we now are on the limit for minimum specs that needs to be adjusted to keep it there following the logic that we only have low zombie numbers due to minimum spec.

You are not getting it. There are not more zombies with feral sense. They just notice you instead of ignoring you most of the time.

For example in A19 you might stand in front of a poi. You see 1 zombie in the distance, 2 near you and nothing more. You kill the 2 zombies and go into the building and nothing else happens.

What you don't know is that behind the house there are 2 zombies and another one in the distance behind a corner. But you will never know.

Now with feral sense in A20 you will kill the 2 zombies, but soon after entering the house 3 zombies, the one from behind the corner and the two from behind the house will disturb your solitude.

There is no need to turn down the limit to 6 as there aren't more zombies in the world at any time. But you will suddenly fight zombies you previously didn't see at all but who still counted towards your limit

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I think the spawing is area-based and not based on players. I'm quite sure that a better event system could drastically change the game

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

It´s still 8 zombies max. That´s nice. No sorry, that´s cute. That´s what it is. Propably will see more zombies than now but still nowhere near to what is actually needed to not feel like playing in an empty world.

I was really hoping for at least the option to have more zombies but i guess not. I was playing with that low zombie count, hoping it would get better but seeing it will not really is demotivating.

Well there is still the pile of shame in my steam library that i need to finally play trough.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

That is exactly what I was talking about in this post:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/25122-future-of-7dtd-sequel-or-dlc/?do=findComment&comment=441230

The unannounced game they are working on is surely a different game. They will not start working earnestly on 7D2D 2 before they have 7D2D 1 out of the door.

Yes and no : honestly if they decided to make "7dtd but in medival setting" but with diffrent name like " last days of medival earth" it will have diffrent name but it will similiar

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Play Romero mod if you want more zombies.   Nothing like going to a trader and having to take down a 40+ wandering horde just so you can turn in your quest and get your sweet sweet rewards.

I like having more zombies, but I understand TFP's position.  They are optimizing the game around the normal default setting and lower spec computers so more people can enjoy this game, not around those of us that can spend the extra money on a new machine.

Honestly i saw a mod that change number of zombies but with creature pack i think something can go wrong. btw funny thing - in romeo  night of walking dead you have zombie kid and this zombie even use tool to kill her mother

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@BFT2020 Nah romero changes too much. I would play it if the only things changed would be headshots only, more zombies and bigger wandering hordes. But he also removed bloodmoon and did a lot of other changes i don´t like.

The walking only also will get too easy once you reach a certain level.

I have a 170$ CPU and i can play romero with 5X spawn and large wandering hordes just fine. Too bad it changes too much.

And tbh, i don´t wanna have to mess with mods. A few here and there for fun, like flying sharks is noce, but that´s a shorttime fun for trying out once.

problem with 7dtd mods - if 1 thing is good rest of them just meh

32 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I think the spawing is area-based and not based on players. I'm quite sure that a better event system could drastically change the game

Honestly i think event like alarm ( like screamer but thing) could do a lot. you know it will give feeling that zombies are somewhere but they are hiding in building etc

24 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s still 8 zombies max. That´s nice. No sorry, that´s cute. That´s what it is. Propably will see more zombies than now but still nowhere near to what is actually needed to not feel like playing in an empty world.

I was really hoping for at least the option to have more zombies but i guess not. I was playing with that low zombie count, hoping it would get better but seeing it will not really is demotivating.

Well there is still the pile of shame in my steam library that i need to finally play trough.

yeah. but honestly we need to wait on sequel or new game. btw i hope TFP will create a something like 7dtd but in medival setting but darker and more edgy like the plague tale

@meganoth listen i have idea : 7dtd was kinda of pioneer of sanbox zombie game right?

So the best idea could be prequel of 7dtd in 1800's. it sound weird? yeah but we have tools blunderbuss forgers etc. just add more old items. ok i will try to write this easy to read as possible :

Background ; you and few people learn about nevegane from drunk soldier. he tell about this place and about missing soldiers plutoon. you and rest was thinking the information about missing soldiers is just legend. 

You all decided to get there. Your horses were almost dead, kids went barefoot throught miles. but finaly you find your perfect place on earth. but week later when you and few other go on hunting you feel eartquake. You came back but yours familles became zombies. Now you must survive.

Okay about maps and the most important thing weather - well there are not inveted nukes yet so play peninsula cutted from land by big canyon full of gas and rest sides have sea as borders. In this game zombies are smaller threat that your biggest enemy - winter and hunger. You have for example 2 weeks to preper againt snow and wind. but when snow is on zombies are more active - dead indians, piooniers soldiers animals.  so spikes are needed. 

mechanics - more advanced blacksmithing, you can raise animals ,hunting fishes in lakes and animals in forest using traps. most things like skills types of crafting this same as 7dtd but more new items like sword, halberds or blackpowder rifles.

Setting- it darker and more deppresing - zombie kids , you can find hanging soldiers in wood , in some villages you can find stakes with burned corpses. The very important thing is gas. you and your mates inhale it so you can sometimes see ghosts but it is just hallucinations, it will create more "horror " feeling.

Enemies - ofc zombies, animals , indians , BOE - British Occult Expedition. 

The bigest diffrences between 7dtd and this game: small number of houses and cites, more caves camps , loot is only small addition to haversting, smaller number of enemies because weather thirsty, illness and hunger is you main enemy. 

What do you think about?

And rest of you guys? 

8 hours ago, Matt115 said:

@meganoth listen i have idea : 7dtd was kinda of pioneer of sanbox zombie game right?

So the best idea could be prequel of 7dtd in 1800's. it sound weird? yeah but we have tools blunderbuss forgers etc. just add more old items. ok i will try to write this easy to read as possible :

Background ; you and few people learn about nevegane from drunk soldier. he tell about this place and about missing soldiers plutoon. you and rest was thinking the information about missing soldiers is just legend. 

You all decided to get there. Your horses were almost dead, kids went barefoot throught miles. but finaly you find your perfect place on earth. but week later when you and few other go on hunting you feel eartquake. You came back but yours familles became zombies. Now you must survive.

Okay about maps and the most important thing weather - well there are not inveted nukes yet so play peninsula cutted from land by big canyon full of gas and rest sides have sea as borders. In this game zombies are smaller threat that your biggest enemy - winter and hunger. You have for example 2 weeks to preper againt snow and wind. but when snow is on zombies are more active - dead indians, piooniers soldiers animals.  so spikes are needed. 

mechanics - more advanced blacksmithing, you can raise animals ,hunting fishes in lakes and animals in forest using traps. most things like skills types of crafting this same as 7dtd but more new items like sword, halberds or blackpowder rifles.

Setting- it darker and more deppresing - zombie kids , you can find hanging soldiers in wood , in some villages you can find stakes with burned corpses. The very important thing is gas. you and your mates inhale it so you can sometimes see ghosts but it is just hallucinations, it will create more "horror " feeling.

Enemies - ofc zombies, animals , indians , BOE - British Occult Expedition. 

The bigest diffrences between 7dtd and this game: small number of houses and cites, more caves camps , loot is only small addition to haversting, smaller number of enemies because weather thirsty, illness and hunger is you main enemy. 

What do you think about?

And rest of you guys? 

Medieval 7D2D, 7D2D in wild west, 7D2D in space, 7D2D on alien planet, 7d2d in the new world, 7D2D in asia, 7D2D in a matrix

If you need a variation for some other future 7d2d feel free to take one 😉 . This is so far in the future (or already a done deal). And I will be happy about any good new game in 7d2d style, no matter the scenario.

But the future we are looking at is the game finished in about 2 years, then probably another few years of development for the game that is just this 7D2D, only bigger and faster and for more modern machines.

That is unless one of the yet unannounced games is a zombie games as well, in that case just wait for the announcement, the scenario and story will already be fixed.

The forum is filled with people who have ideas. Some like you are a fountain of ideas, others think of something they would like very much and specifically make an account to post that idea. But the truth is that ideas are cheap and easy to come by, the developers of this game already thought of more ideas for this game than they could develop in a hundred years.

31 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Medieval 7D2D, 7D2D in wild west, 7D2D in space, 7D2D on alien planet, 7d2d in the new world, 7D2D in asia, 7D2D in a matrix

If you need a variation for some other future 7d2d feel free to take one 😉 . This is so far in the future (or already a done deal). And I will be happy about any good new game in 7d2d style, no matter the scenario.

But the future we are looking at is the game finished in about 2 years, then probably another few years of development for the game that is just this 7D2D, only bigger and faster and for more modern machines.

That is unless one of the yet unannounced games is a zombie games as well, in that case just wait for the announcement, the scenario and story will already be fixed.

The forum is filled with people who have ideas. Some like you are a fountain of ideas, others think of something they would like very much and specifically make an account to post that idea. But the truth is that ideas are cheap and easy to come by, the developers of this game already thought of more ideas for this game than they could develop in a hundred years.

honestly 7dtd in space coudn't works good just experience .XD 

honestly i don't expect nothing big after bandits + story. they will probably add vr support and that's will be all. honestly scenario and story can be change - tf2 is good example. it was  first realistic more simliar game with venicles ( yep you can find a lot of informations about it) but they decided to change setting and mechanics because fans were dissapointed. That why after cod inifinity war we get ww2. resident evil 4 had changed setting and story too. so even after announcement a lot of thing can be changed (cyberpunk as example)

37 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

honestly 7dtd in space coudn't works good just experience .XD 

Bah, where is your imagination? 7D2D on a huge generation ship where deep freeze turned most people into zombies. Race to the bridge to turn the ship away from plunging into a sun.

37 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

honestly i don't expect nothing big after bandits + story. they will probably add vr support and that's will be all. honestly scenario and story can be change - tf2 is good example. it was  first realistic more simliar game with venicles ( yep you can find a lot of informations about it) but they decided to change setting and mechanics because fans were dissapointed. That why after cod inifinity war we get ww2. resident evil 4 had changed setting and story too. so even after announcement a lot of thing can be changed (cyberpunk as example)

VR support is not enough for an expansion or a real version 2. They have to deliver more if they want to sell it to a mass of people apart from the core players.

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Bah, where is your imagination? 7D2D on a huge generation ship where deep freeze turned most people into zombies. Race to the bridge to turn the ship away from plunging into a sun.

VR support is not enough for an expansion or a real version 2. They have to deliver more if they want to sell it to a mass of people apart from the core players.

XD pff it can't  work! it will be dead space but.. "with normal zombies' so nope XD

Honestly 7dtd is too "safe" it need some controversy to get attention - it need some "horror expansions pack " for 9,99 euro. you know zombie teens, occult bandits with pentagrams , hanging corpses , psycho clows in  amusment  park. Honestly zombies game need controversy- walkind dead have controversy , l4d2 had controversy, dying light days gone last of us itd

So good will be keep "base game" safe and if  someone want this stuff it can bought it. so it will legal and keep players + cash flow + brings more players

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

XD pff it can't  work! it will be dead space but.. "with normal zombies' so nope XD

If you can only think in the context of other games your imagination will never run freely.

Honestly 7dtd is too "safe" it need some controversy to get attention - it need some "horror expansions pack " for 9,99 euro. you know zombie teens, occult bandits with pentagrams , hanging corpses , psycho clows in  amusment  park. Honestly zombies game need controversy- walkind dead have controversy , l4d2 had controversy, dying light days gone last of us itd

Sure, and there need to be lots of newsstands in the game for it to be a success 😁.

This is just you thinking everyone has the same taste as you. But 7D2D is already a success for its small team, they obviously must have made something right if players play the game for hundreds and sometimes thousands of hours.

Regularily some players turn up and know exactly how 7D2D can be more successful. Next week I'm sure a real-time-strategy player will create an account and tell TFP that RTS is the new trend and the game needs lots of armies you have to command and send to the base of other players to strike it rich 😉. Two years ago it was PvP players who knew the road to success. Its just everyone knowingly or unknowingly pushing their own agenda to get this game moved nearer to the own comfort space.

So good will be keep "base game" safe and if  someone want this stuff it can bought it. so it will legal and keep players + cash flow + brings more players

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

If you can only think in the context of other games your imagination will never run freely.

Sure, and there need to be lots of newsstands in the game for it to be a success 😁.

This is just you thinking everyone has the same taste as you. But 7D2D is already a success for its small team, they obviously must have made something right if players play the game for hundreds and sometimes thousands of hours.

Regularily some players turn up and know exactly how 7D2D can be more successful. Next week I'm sure a real-time-strategy player will create an account and tell TFP that RTS is the new trend and the game needs lots of armies you have to command and send to the base of other players to strike it rich 😉. Two years ago it was PvP players who knew the road to success. Its just everyone knowingly or unknowingly pushing their own agenda to get this game moved nearer to the own comfort space.

well story of gaming tell this is to risky XD only dead space works good.

Honestly : i know people have tons of ideas. But do you ever played l4d2? if yes you should know a Charger special infected. this type of zombie was idea from forum and devs use this . so if 100 people wrote their idea maybe 1 of them will be usefull for TFP. i know i can be too much optimistic (greatest irony in my life lol) . You never know if idea about animatrinics hunting for orphans in steampunk victorian era would inspire them right? 😉

this sound like the happy few mixed with fnaf lol. maybe it could be interesting

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)