Are you fine with the current movement feeling of the game?

BenZ0

21 hours ago, warmer said:

Walking speed is roughly 7mph which is a decent jog

15 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

7mph??? Maybe km/h? More less common walking speed for a regular person is around 7km/h(4.35mph)

Seems to me you are both saying the same thing. I don’t see an argument and it appears that you both agree that a 7mph “walking” speed means the game is actually providing good enhanced mobility which is acceptable for a video game. 

I´d like to see anyone walk with 7 mp/h. That person should go to the olympics tbh, some easy gold medals there with that speed.

Also one says it´s decent walking speed, the other one says you are already running. That´s pretty different opionions tbh.

It depends on your height i guess. Someone shorter propably can´t walk with 7 kilometer per hour  for taller people it´s very fast walking. (Definition of walking here is that there is always one foot on the ground)

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

On 8/11/2021 at 12:40 PM, BenZ0 said:

I bet you just read the title

How much would you like to owe me?

I didn't make a long post because the idea I was trying to impart to you was simple. Your post read like you didn't really understand how this game works and that you didn't adjust your look sensitivity in the options. You know you can do that, right? As for Apex Legends and wanting your characters in 7DTD to move like they do in a game where the player characters have parkour level skills, my advice stands. This is a game with a leveling and point system so if you want parkour level skills invest in Agility and the Parkour skill. Also look into the ways to reduce your movement penalty since that literally increases your movement ability.

Also, everyone's guestimates of real life movement speeds are a little off. Usain Bolt, generally considered the fastest man currently can sprint at 26mph. A blackbear can sprint around 30 mph and a politician can backtrack at 150mph. Normal walking speed is 4-7mph.

Edited by Urban Blackbear (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Urban Blackbear said:

I didn't make a long post because the idea I was trying to impart to you was simple. Your post read like you didn't really understand how this game works and that you didn't adjust your look sensitivity in the options. You know you can do that, right? As for Apex Legends and wanting your characters in 7DTD to move like they do in a game where the player characters have parkour level skills, my advice stands. This is a game with a leveling and point system so if you want parkour level skills invest in Agility and the Parkour skill. Also look into the ways to reduce your movement penalty since that literally increases your movement ability.

Also, everyone's guestimates of real life movement speeds are a little off. Usain Bolt, generally considered the fastest man currently can sprint at 26mph. A blackbear can sprint around 30 mph and a politician can backtrack at 150mph. Normal walking speed is 4-7mph.

Your post would have been utterly perfect if you didn't add that last sentence 😉 (I didn't check Usain Bolts statistics though).

All sources on the internet (example below) say normal walking speed is from 1 to 3mph depending on age and the link below thankfully even defines brisk walking, as 3.5mph tops

https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/average-walking-speed

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

True story, I had a blackbear cub run out into the road on me a few months ago. I hit my brakes and when he started gaining on me I paced him til he ran off into the brush. 32mph.  Also, the typical human is overweight and out of shape but yeah internet says 3mph walking speed. I think that's a poor estimate but I do a lot of hiking.

Edited by Urban Blackbear (see edit history)

On 8/11/2021 at 9:01 AM, BenZ0 said:

I believe that the general running animation, movements and general control responding should be reworked so it can feel more smooth to run and walk around. I am not a programmer so I dont know how hard or how much work that would be but I think it is a very important aspect of every game to have a very good feeling movement. 

Also I know this might sound abit much but I think adding a small climb mechanic to the game where you can lift yourself up on 3 blocks would be very interesting and could fit to the game, that would also open many new ways how you travers POI and loot them.

I have to mention that the vehicle control responding and overall drive feeling is very very good, that kind of feeling should be converted to the base movement.

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think about the movement!

Probably you have in mind acceleration and deceleration of the character after changing a given stance, if I`m not mistaken. You must have in mind also encumbrance and limited weight system in 7DTD. So having all that in mind, I must say that the 7DTD movement suits me well, even if it`s a bit clunky without the need to look for something uber-realistic.

Also I know this might sound abit much but I think adding a small climb mechanic to the game where you can lift yourself up on 3 blocks would be very interesting and could fit to the game, that would also open many new ways how you travers POI and loot them.

Climbing over obstacles shouldn`t be hard to implement since the world is divided into blocks already. Breaching/vaulting mechanics should be a golden standard for open-world games nowadays. I`m not entirely satisfied with the fact that the character only floats above 3 blocks in height without a jetpack. The same goes for aerial vehicles, if You ever find yourself in a position, please think of adding parachute mechanics as well... my dear devs.

I have to mention that the vehicle control responding and overall drive feeling is very very good, that kind of feeling should be converted to the base movement.

Drive feeling is fine. The devs have to work on the mass of the vehicles. Actually, certain elements could react to the so greatly theorized gravity. The wheels seem not to respond properly. There is no suspension or mass center of the vehicles simulated at all. I`ve seen a lot in games from 2005 doing better in that department. Not racing games for clarity.

I`m not even going to sweat about swimming, there is a lot of games demonstrating how it`s done properly.

Bring some breath of life into a game by working on certain systems and mechanics.

3 hours ago, Urban Blackbear said:

I do a lot of hiking.

The very definition of an atypical human.

5 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

one says it´s decent walking speed, the other one says you are already running. That´s pretty different opionions tbh.

Warmer said that the "walking" speed that the game uses is 7mph which he then amended was actually a decent jogging pace.

Vampire said that 4.35 is a typical walking speed.

4.35 miles per hour - walk 

7 miles per hour - jog

I see no conflict with those two statements. Where do you see different opinions?

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I´d like to see anyone walk with 7 mp/h. That person should go to the olympics tbh, some easy gold medals there with that speed.

Race walking is done competitively, and national-class male race walkers cover a 20-kilometer -- 12.5-mile -- race in approximately one hour and 30-minutes. That is about 8 to 9 mph.

drcox-meme.jpg

Edited by Alpacko (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Alpacko Yeah, we are talking standard walking here. Not competetive with a special technique that you actually need to learn to be able to reach that speed.

I think we have established that the game speed for walking is faster than an actual real life walk. It tested out at 7 mph which is more of a jog. The OP is saying that the walking speed in the game doesn't feel fast enough and should be faster. At 7mph I think the walking speed is plenty fast. We have good mobility in the game and it doesn't need to be any faster. Due to technical limits it really can't be much faster anyway.

1 hour ago, Alpacko said:

Race walking is done competitively

...and hilarious to watch. Just imagine a bunch of kids trying to be first in line at the diving board right after the lifeguard yelled out "No Running!" and you've got the idea.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:02 PM, Roland said:

Walking < Running < Bike < Minibike < 4x4 < Motorcycle & Gyrocopter which must be slower than chunk generation. There really is not a lot of wiggle room due to the constraints of the voxel world in which we play. I'm sure that static non-voxel worlds do have faster walking and running and vehicles just blaze along but there is a hard cap on speed in this game and it is determined by 8 players on a server heading in different directions at max speed and nobody falls through the world or (if possible) even sees voxels generating in front of them.

I think you will just have to live with it as I doubt there will be enough optimizations to get the world to load fast enough for the speeds at which you want everything to move-- at least in comparison with non-voxel games.

I get what you mean and you are right but I am not talking about traveling faster than you already do with the car. I am talking about the movement on foot.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:16 AM, TWORDY said:

I'm completely satisfied with the current character's movement. Perhaps vaulting could be added to breach obstacles at 1,5-2,5 sizes of the block so the character might climb up naturally. I`ve played a while Apex and it seems like a fast-paced, very intensive in action and futuristic game. Honestly, I don`t see the need for proning or sliding in 7DTD and so on. Perhaps I would appreciate the option to walk slowly and silently at the same moment in an upright posture. Having some limited/short extra sprint (like sprinting) perhaps behind a perk or so. Players would not have to then rely on Mega Crush that much then.

The vaulting could be interesting tbh. Ofc I didnt meant that 7 days should copy the movment of apex, there is no reason for sliding or other fast paste movement.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:47 PM, Urban Blackbear said:

Bruh ppl like you makes it always themselves so easy by saying/writing the most obvious stuff to feel smart or justify their ignorance. I dont mean it as an insult, I just say that you are not reading (atleast my post in that case) not carefully enough or just dont get what I mean and simply write something different for idk what reason?

Idk how long you play 7 days but I can help you there out, you will eventuelly have all the skills in the game by time, even agility. After a long time at your world you will have enough levels and skill points to fill the entire or almost the entire skills so ye I have agility with parkour. I am aware that this skill exists and what it does. I also never wrote that 7 days should have the same movement features as Apex, I wrote the base movement feels awfull. My camera sensitivity is fine also thanks for advising me to that, if you didnt know you can also change your mouse DPI without thouching the ingame controls :)

17 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I prefer the argument about the actual walk speed rather than the OP request to make it faster  😉

Now my feelings are hurt :C

21 hours ago, TWORDY said:

Probably you have in mind acceleration and deceleration of the character after changing a given stance, if I`m not mistaken. You must have in mind also encumbrance and limited weight system in 7DTD. So having all that in mind, I must say that the 7DTD movement suits me well, even if it`s a bit clunky without the need to look for something uber-realistic.

Climbing over obstacles shouldn`t be hard to implement since the world is divided into blocks already. Breaching/vaulting mechanics should be a golden standard for open-world games nowadays. I`m not entirely satisfied with the fact that the character only floats above 3 blocks in height without a jetpack. The same goes for aerial vehicles, if You ever find yourself in a position, please think of adding parachute mechanics as well... my dear devs.

Drive feeling is fine. The devs have to work on the mass of the vehicles. Actually, certain elements could react to the so greatly theorized gravity. The wheels seem not to respond properly. There is no suspension or mass center of the vehicles simulated at all. I`ve seen a lot in games from 2005 doing better in that department. Not racing games for clarity.

I`m not even going to sweat about swimming, there is a lot of games demonstrating how it`s done properly.

Bring some breath of life into a game by working on certain systems and mechanics.

Ye exactly you got what I meant, its about the acceleration and deceleration of the character after changing a direction or from the stance. I am glad you understand what I mean exactly! I mean it is not like its completly broken or unplayable, but this is something you come across for 90% of the gameplay sicne you walk around alot, from exploring to looting. Thats why I believe some slight adjustments to that would help alot with the overall feeling. 

It doesnt has to be climbing though, what someone else proposed was about the vaulting over 1,5 or 2,5 blocks, which I think is a great idea.

9 minutes ago, BenZ0 said:

Now my feelings are hurt :C

Ye exactly you got what I meant, its about the acceleration and deceleration of the character after changing a direction or from the stance. I am glad you understand what I mean exactly! I mean it is not like its completly broken or unplayable, but this is something you come across for 90% of the gameplay sicne you walk around alot, from exploring to looting. Thats why I believe some slight adjustments to that would help alot with the overall feeling. 

It doesnt has to be climbing though, what someone else proposed was about the vaulting over 1,5 or 2,5 blocks, which I think is a great idea.

*Edit: I hope the swimming will be implemented though!

17 hours ago, Roland said:

I think we have established that the game speed for walking is faster than an actual real life walk. It tested out at 7 mph which is more of a jog. The OP is saying that the walking speed in the game doesn't feel fast enough and should be faster. At 7mph I think the walking speed is plenty fast. We have good mobility in the game and it doesn't need to be any faster. Due to technical limits it really can't be much faster anyway.

I was never talking about the walking speed itsself

22 minutes ago, BenZ0 said:

I get what you mean and you are right but I am not talking about traveling faster than you already do with the car. I am talking about the movement on foot.

The vaulting could be interesting tbh. Ofc I didnt meant that 7 days should copy the movment of apex, there is no reason for sliding or other fast paste movement.

Bruh ppl like you makes it always themselves so easy by saying/writing the most obvious stuff to feel smart or justify their ignorance. I dont mean it as an insult, I just say that you are not reading (atleast my post in that case) not carefully enough or just dont get what I mean and simply write something different for idk what reason?

Idk how long you play 7 days but I can help you there out, you will eventuelly have all the skills in the game by time, even agility. After a long time at your world you will have enough levels and skill points to fill the entire or almost the entire skills so ye I have agility with parkour. I am aware that this skill exists and what it does. I also never wrote that 7 days should have the same movement features as Apex, I wrote the base movement feels awfull. My camera sensitivity is fine also thanks for advising me to that, if you didnt know you can also change your mouse DPI without thouching the ingame controls :)

*Edit: I didnt talk about the movementspeed itsself of the character, this is totally fine and you can anyway freely adjust your speed with armor types and skills.

1 hour ago, BenZ0 said:

The only loss in mobility while on foot that we have suffered in recent years was when they nerfed lateral movement and backward movement to always be at walking speed. You can no longer run while strafing or when backing up since A17.  That is why you feel more limited in movement since if you press A or D or S while running you get slowed. I can understand that and can say that THAT is not a technical limitation but an intentional design decision that we may or may not all agree with. What you want as far as faster speeds for strafing and backpedaling we used to have and it was intentionally changed. 

Also, I'm pretty sure you can mouselook side to side without slowing down while pressing Shift W for running. So you can look around as you run forward but you cannot strafe and run and you cannot backup and run.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Roland said:

The only loss in mobility while on foot that we have suffered in recent years was when they nerfed lateral movement and backward movement to always be at walking speed. You can no longer run while strafing or when backing up since A17.  That is why you feel more limited in movement since if you press A or D or S while running you get slowed. I can understand that and can say that THAT is not a technical limitation but an intentional design decision that we may or may not all agree with. What you want as far as faster speeds for strafing and backpedaling we used to have and it was intentionally changed. 

Also, I'm pretty sure you can mouselook side to side without slowing down while pressing Shift W for running. So you can look around as you run forward but you cannot strafe and run and you cannot backup and run.

Ye thats what I mean, the strafing. I actually didnt know that they changed that "recent" but good to know that it was intentional. I get it that they want to make the game feel more slow paste on purpose but in the other hand it is kinda well annoying if you compare that to other games how I do that. However you are right, its just a matter of taste, and ye you can normally look around while running with the mouse but it is abit awkward imo. Anyway I am glad some ppl can discuss about that topic normally and its nice and refreshing to see other ppls thoughts about that! Thanks for the nice reply!

On 8/11/2021 at 4:54 PM, Matt115 said:

honestly i think movement in 7dtd is just good. well i hate codmw2019 movment but for example half life 2 and l4d2 have rly good

All hail Carmack, architect of the One True fps controller. May your addspeed always be ridiculous and your drop forever be 0.