KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

On 12/27/2021 at 4:16 AM, Jugom said:

hi @KingSlayerGM,
I know you are busy right now but do you have any idea approximately when or even if you will be able to update the tool for A20? I mean the tiles and roads etc, not just the prebad list. 
cheers. 

Per details posted by Cpt Krunch and Tallman Brad in previous comments, it may be quite a while before KingSlayerGM replies to you. They both appear to have contact with King outside of this forum or even Discord, so you may wish to pose some of your questions to them. Other experienced KingGen users might also have answers and advice for you.

TFP's new tile system in A20 drastically changed things for everyone. While I hope that King feels up to tackling the challenge once his IRL concerns are more manageable, Tallman Brad and Cpt Krunch seem to be on the prowl for programming talent to work with or fill-in for King.

Here's another really useful thing KingGen can do. You can extract heightmaps from a20 rwg and use that heightmap to put snow back on mountain peaks! Amongst many other things, but this video is all about fixing snow peaks. Skip the Gimp section of you just want the heightmap extraction and the nice biomes from KG. 

Thanks for the tip-off about raw conversion @Cpt Krunch

4 hours ago, DrunkMunki said:

using the in game generator the map generator is still borked, there should be buildings here... and i get foot steps when "walking" through it in ghost mode...

doubt this will be updated until they have their generator fixed

Can you tell us more about this map with the blank spots in it? Are there any custom tiles or settings, like trying to make the city bigger than what TFP defined?

I ask because so far the only way I've found to get blank spots (using RWG) is too have to many POI markers in close proximity to each other without a large enough supply of POIs to fit them. There's also a density configuration that I don't know much about. I suspect it has to do with trying to keep the Tris/Polys counts reasonable among POIs in close proximity, else game performance degrades.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

One can plainly see the blending effect - done by 'dotting' the colours of the biome png in this pic.  It gives me the impression of actually being there. . .  until the wife calls. . .

A20.0_2021-12-30_15-34-06.jpg

43" LG @ 3840 x 2160

. . .Now which is the fastest way down . . . ?

A20.0_2021-12-30_15-45-11.jpg

Oh yeah . . . this way . .    (A shout out here for )Dough's most excellent Dirt Bike!!!  )

A20.0_2021-12-30_15-47-18.jpg

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

I heard a rumour bdubyah's vehicle mod is working in a conversion mod. Can't remember which one. I need my early game golf cart haha. Love that mod. I need to have a look at dough's too though. Pleased you got the mountain biome snow thing working. I sort of wish I'd focused more on the extraction of a20 heightmaps before demoing what you can do with them, but what the hell, it's the holidays. I'll work backwards haha. 

Yeah .. I talked to him around three weeks ago to tell him it was working, but he hadn't touched it at that time, but was working at updating all his mods.  I would imagine it's a very popular transport in this game for bikers - but especially for many of us old guys that grew up in the UK in the 50's - 60's. Scrambling and Moto-cross seemed to be in the blood of every one of my age. This one hits the mark perfectly and didn't need much doing to it - just the odd name change here and there. The hardest part was foot/hand positions. It handles well - jumps, and feels "just right".  Dough has many great mods - he's right up there with the Masters of this Art.
Anyway - once again, Brad - another one of your videos came along at exactly the right time! Thank you!   And yes - I love this new A20.

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, zztong said:

Can you tell us more about this map with the blank spots in it? Are there any custom tiles or settings, like trying to make the city bigger than what TFP defined?

I ask because so far the only way I've found to get blank spots (using RWG) is too have to many POI markers in close proximity to each other without a large enough supply of POIs to fit them. There's also a density configuration that I don't know much about. I suspect it has to do with trying to keep the Tris/Polys counts reasonable among POIs in close proximity, else game performance degrades.

Just loaded up the game;
used the settings within the game to generate the map, nothing custom

and uploaded to dedicated server

I also hit a dead spot, where if i TP here i get 'frozen' and the map doesnt update, even the FoW doesnt go away..
not sure if it was just that generation that had the issue.

20211230213817_1.jpg

Edited by DrunkMunki (see edit history)

2 hours ago, DrunkMunki said:

Just loaded up the game;
used the settings within the game to generate the map, nothing custom

and uploaded to dedicated server

I also hit a dead spot, where if i TP here i get 'frozen' and the map doesnt update, even the FoW doesnt go away..
not sure if it was just that generation that had the issue.

20211230213817_1.jpg

There is a problem with the prefabs list you are using to generate the map. It does not match the list you have installed on the client side.

If you dont catch the 'prefabs not found' errors in the console the first time you run the map, you wont see those errors again. It just removes those missing prefab entries from the prefabs.xml and you never seem them again.  Verify your map generation list matches the prefabs you have installed on client side.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, nofunbeingadmin said:

Does this work with A20?

It does of you use the trick in the video at the bottom of this post.

However you're going to miss out on the new tiles /roads. But if that's not a worry for you there's plenty of fun still to be had with it. Just a heads-up; There is another piece map making software currently in development that's looking really good, but it's a way off public testing yet. I'm sure you'll hear about that soon. 

Here's the video should you want to try kinggen in a20:

10 minutes ago, Tallman Brad said:

It does of you use the trick in the video at the bottom of this post.

However you're going to miss out on the new tiles /roads. But if that's not a worry for you there's plenty of fun still to be had with it. Just a heads-up; There is another piece map making software currently in development that's looking really good, but it's a way off public testing yet. I'm sure you'll hear about that soon. 

Here's the video should you want to try kinggen in a20:

I was just watching that as you replied, very good video! Stright to the point and no fluffing around, good job!

On 1/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, Tallman Brad said:

Just a heads-up; There is another piece map making software currently in development that's looking really good, but it's a way off public testing yet. I'm sure you'll hear about that soon. 

Magnificent news! I can't wait.
I assume it will include the new tiling system?
the new RWG is awesome but it can't beat a tailored map. 

On 1/26/2022 at 5:41 AM, Jugom said:

Magnificent news! I can't wait.
I assume it will include the new tiling system?
the new RWG is awesome but it can't beat a tailored map. 

Yes, it includes new tile system, as well as custom height map support. It really looks pretty amazing.

looks great. rivers nice but should take into account height. should start small in mountains and get bigger as they approach the coast. that looked like it had just plonked down a wide river without regard to terrain.

looks like it is going to be a good versatile map gen when finished.

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)

18 hours ago, spud42 said:

looks great. rivers nice but should take into account height. should start small in mountains and get bigger as they approach the coast. that looked like it had just plonked down a wide river without regard to terrain.

looks like it is going to be a good versatile map gen when finished.

Thats really more of a hand made map feature you are describing. Its an interesting thought though. Most generators would not take the distance from height into consideration in regards to water.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:56 PM, Cpt Krunch said:

Yes, it includes new tile system, as well as custom height map support. It really looks pretty amazing.

Any idea when we will be able to try it?

RWG works ok now in A20, but i miss my custom heightmaps and ESPECIALLY custom biomes.png!