KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484887919

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484887882

there are a couple of areas highlighting the issue, I am working on my own solution at the moment to the issue which would be a separate tool to run the DTM through after generation...

It seems for the most part all your cities share the same height on the map regardless of the surrounding area - at least on the aussie map I am working on your city foot prints in the dtm.raw file all return the same colour level it seems so the work around I am thinking about doing is a tool to add noise variations between the city level layer and the surrounding terrain it is connecting to.

in this picture I added some noise to a small strip along one part of the edge of the citys raised land area and then did a gaussian blur using a 10 x 10 pixel size block along the edge of the city block where the noise was place.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484913209

In this picture I turned 180 degrees and it shows your current setup for the land ramping up to the city level.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484912444 

Here is an areal picture looking down...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484913070

now this was with some very minimal noise added and it was level dampened considrably so it's not a pronounced impact but needless to say there is some roughness and variation to the ramp up, and the strip initially chosen was quite narrow as I was not sure how wide in gimp to modify the city block area as I did not want to risk making it so there would be issues for the poi itself. but needless i'll investigate this some ore and see if I can come up with either a gimp filter or even a stand alone program to identify the city areas and feather out the ramps with some noise and blur to help make it more natural feeling terrain

It might be more apparent in the map view
this is a section of the map in the desert,

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484941952

And a section I did the same as I mentioned above only I spread it out  over a little bit more of an area

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2484942140

Edited by scallipus
added an extra section and different view that might help (see edit history)

1 hour ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Cities generate at y 60. So consider having you flat terrain around that level

no problem I have worked out a workflow that will allow me to fix the issue I was facing with the hard ramps :)  Keep up the great work...

This is the result of the workflow change I have made for using KingGen as a map generator.

going from this

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2485007089

and taking it to this
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2485006988

The new options in 0.6 works nicely, thank you muchly. 

However, I still had some issues with POI placements - it seemed to reuse a lot of assets within close proximity, sometimes next door. For example placing 4 similar compopack skyscrapers next to each other. So I investigated further. The issue seems to stem from the POI list generated from the prefabs folder. By extensively modifying the list, I was able to generate a map with low duplication per city/town, and getting more of the compopack placed.

I suggest the following:

- Force cities into large grid, towns on medium grids. This way it may pickup and place some of the large footprints POIs.

- Create an aggregate list of POI and place from that into the grids based on zone priority. This will limit duplications. I can also suggest an internal usage counter, to limit POI usage in total on a map.

- Check zoning assignments, some POIs are able to be placed in other zones, besides the primary/first assignment. It seems your code only uses the first zone listed.

- Some POI can be placed in wilderness, if there is no open slot match inside city/town limits. I did this manually for some that never gets used. It makes the wilderness more interesting.

- I had to modify the Traders to shrink the protection zone, it often overlaps near POI, making parts of them not lootable. I suggest to offset the traders by half of the protection zone so that they only extend into the street.

3 minutes ago, Dajoor said:

However, I still had some issues with POI placements - it seemed to reuse a lot of assets within close proximity, sometimes next door. For example placing 4 similar compopack skyscrapers next to each other. So I investigated further. The issue seems to stem from the POI list generated from the prefabs folder. By extensively modifying the list, I was able to generate a map with low duplication per city/town, and getting more of the compopack placed.

I suggest the following:

- Force cities into large grid, towns on medium grids. This way it may pickup and place some of the large footprints POIs.

- Create an aggregate list of POI and place from that into the grids based on zone priority. This will limit duplications. I can also suggest an internal usage counter, to limit POI usage in total on a map.

- Check zoning assignments, some POIs are able to be placed in other zones, besides the primary/first assignment. It seems your code only uses the first zone listed.

- Some POI can be placed in wilderness, if there is no open slot match inside city/town limits. I did this manually for some that never gets used. It makes the wilderness more interesting.

- I had to modify the Traders to shrink the protection zone, it often overlaps near POI, making parts of them not lootable. I suggest to offset the traders by half of the protection zone so that they only extend into the street.

4 similar pois next to each other? I can't do anything if they are similar... What I can do is prevent the same one to spaw 4 times next to each other.

Cities grids are already larger than town and village grids. If you want larger, there is an option in KingGen.

KingGen already internally generates lists of pois based on biome and zoning.

14 minutes ago, Dajoor said:

I suggest the following:

Trader protection has hardcoded  code added to the traders when they spawn. Has nothing to do with kinggen or compopack or any other variable. 

6 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

4 similar pois next to each other? I can't do anything if they are similar... What I can do is prevent the same one to spaw 4 times next to each other.

It is the same POI - exact copies.

8 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Trader protection has hardcoded  code added to the traders when they spawn. Has nothing to do with kinggen or compopack or any other variable. 

The placement is not hardcoded, which I was referring to. (The protection can be modified/removed in the XML.)

Anyway, fair enough. I have no issue in modifying the assets or POI list to get the kind of map I prefer. You have provided the critical items already, so I will be good with that. Thanks much for a great tool.

is it possible to allow us to define POI 'limits' for the decreased, medium and increased settings or is it possible to allow us to have a setting that lets us define the total number of poi's we want in the world?  The reason I ask, 10K maps get a bit sparse even on increased settings or perhaps another couple increased settings levels that allow us to have even more poi's in the world if we want them - you might even name lots more and max :D

Edited by scallipus (see edit history)

1 minute ago, scallipus said:

is it possible to allow us to define POI 'limits' for the decreased, medium and increased settings or is it possible to allow us to have a setting that lets us define the total number of poi's we want in the world?  The reason I ask, 10K maps get a bit sparse even on increased settings

Ill check.

Version 0.7.0 released!

Here is what's new:

• Added biomes/mountains spacing option
  • Biomes are now slightly larger with larger maps
  • Added option to save png heightmaps
  • Added support for 8-bit heightmaps import
  • Biomes creation optimizations
  • Preview rendering optimizations
  • Fixed bug with roads
  • Added compatibility with Darkness Falls (to be verified)

5 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Version 0.7.0 released!

Here is what's new:

• Fixed bug with roads

I am excited to try it out! I am not a hardcore modder or map enthusiast. I don't do custom height maps or anything like that lol. I'm more of a casual player who enjoys using mods and custom, jam packed city style maps. So far, I LOVE this engine! It is incredibly easy to just copy all the prefabs i want to use in my map into one folder and generate the list from there. It's awesome for me to see POIs from different mods in a vanilla game. I am also incredibly excited to see it how the Darkness Falls compatibility feature plays out. Keep up the awesome work!

7 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Version 0.7.0 released!

Here is what's new:

• Fixed bug with roads

Woke up late. Will be testing DF compatibility tonight.

9 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Version 0.7.0 released!

Here is what's new:

• Fixed bug with roads

First off, congrats on a great tool here, KingSlayerGM, and I salute the blistering speed with which you've been updating and improving it. I'm very excited about trying the latest version of KingGen since I loved the look of every single map I rolled with your tool, even back  in 0.4 and 0.5 when mountain and village POI spawns were "challenging" in a geographical sense. Keep up the good work, and thanks again for providing this exciting new tool!

1 minute ago, KhaineGB said:

So far...

40 maps generated (10 of each of the following - 6k, 8k, 10k, 12k).

ALL maps have at least 1 DF POI, and all in the correct biomes from what I can see.

So I think it should work fine. :)

Only one? The algorithm should try to use all four. Only in the case of no space available then it should give up.

I have a small request and i dont know if already suggested ( not checked all the posts ) but when a map is generated is it possible to also have the preview saved . When generating multiple maps i would like to be able to easily compare the poi`s . On a different note , Bro this program is a godsend and easy to use so i must say a Big TY 

4 hours ago, Spiritz said:

I have a small request and i dont know if already suggested ( not checked all the posts ) but when a map is generated is it possible to also have the preview saved . When generating multiple maps i would like to be able to easily compare the poi`s . On a different note , Bro this program is a godsend and easy to use so i must say a Big TY 

That is already done the preview is saved in each world directory generated so you can compare them using your favorite image viewer