KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

KingGen works pretty well and certainly is fast. I like it. Is this where you'd like thoughts and feedback?

On one of my test worlds, I spawned inside a POI. Luckily, there were no Z's in the room, but the door was locked. I'm assuming that was unintentional, but it's kind of an interesting start. I wonder if anyone has thought about POIs specifically as starting locations.

I can choose "Single City" or not. I find myself wanting to pick the number of cities, number of towns, and number of villages, or in some way influence the numbers of settlements.

I you pick "Single City" could you further have the option of locating that city in the middle of the map?

Will there be "western" towns?

I can choose "Grid Size" for cities, towns, and villages. Could it be different for each? I need to play with this more and see how it changes the flavor of those settlements.

I noticed rural POIs aren't connected by dirt roads. I'm guessing that's upcoming feature? I kind of like that some rural POIs aren't connected by roads. Maybe if/when dirt roads appear there could be a small chance no road would be generated to it.

14 hours ago, Nirtguy said:

It seems to be a problem with 5K world. I generated several, with vanilla and Compo Pack, all the same issue. Then I tried 8K, things worked just fine. Don't know it's something wrong with me or what, maybe somebody else should give it a try.

5k is not a standard size, either make a 4 or 6k. Odd sized maps will always cause issues, I would not bother doing odd sizes at all.

16 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Thanks, that's great :) Any standard size is good, like 4K, 8K, 10K, 16K, but you can do anything you want really.

After some brainstorming I have realized that heightmap files can be very large and packaging them with KingGen would increase the executable size considerably and that would be undesirable. So I came up with a new idea. I will create a google drive folder where we can upload as many heightmaps as we want. Then KingGen will seamlessly integrate with google drive to automatically download any heightmap that the user wants to use. Users will not even know about drive, they will just see a heightmap list inside KingGen and they will just click on what they want.

This is the idea. It will require some time to be implemented. So no rush in making heightmaps at the moment. I will let you know when I start working on it. At the moment I am working on KingGen 8, which has a lot of other good stuff... Returning to heightmaps, as of now, I got positive responses from you and @Cpt Krunch. But once the system is up and running we can accept submissions from the community. After the files have been carefully vetter ofc.

So thank you for your support and I will let you know when the system starts shaping up

Idk about khaine or anyone else making overhauls, but would it be possible to insert our own Gdrive or Git links somewhere in the settings so we can put our own custom POIs in the same way as you are suggesting for the underground POIs, maybe with a way to note the linked POIs associate with different building types as well. It would be very cool if said link were appended to the POI list you choose from the drop down. 

1 hour ago, magejosh said:

Idk about khaine or anyone else making overhauls, but would it be possible to insert our own Gdrive or Git links somewhere in the settings so we can put our own custom POIs in the same way as you are suggesting for the underground POIs, maybe with a way to note the linked POIs associate with different building types as well. It would be very cool if said link were appended to the POI list you choose from the drop down. 

Much easier in this case to make a local generation list

8 hours ago, zztong said:

KingGen works pretty well and certainly is fast. I like it. Is this where you'd like thoughts and feedback?

On one of my test worlds, I spawned inside a POI. Luckily, there were no Z's in the room, but the door was locked. I'm assuming that was unintentional, but it's kind of an interesting start. I wonder if anyone has thought about POIs specifically as starting locations.

I can choose "Single City" or not. I find myself wanting to pick the number of cities, number of towns, and number of villages, or in some way influence the numbers of settlements.

I you pick "Single City" could you further have the option of locating that city in the middle of the map?

Will there be "western" towns?

I can choose "Grid Size" for cities, towns, and villages. Could it be different for each? I need to play with this more and see how it changes the flavor of those settlements.

I noticed rural POIs aren't connected by dirt roads. I'm guessing that's upcoming feature? I kind of like that some rural POIs aren't connected by roads. Maybe if/when dirt roads appear there could be a small chance no road would be generated to it.

Yes, this is the right place for feedback!

I could add an option of number of cities/towns/villages. I probably will at some point.

Old west towns will be included at some point.

Do you really need to choose the grid size for each?

Rural pois are not connected by roads by desing. I don't want the world to be too cluttered by roads and I also want some pois to be complitely isolated.

I took note of what you suggested, but it's not goinf to happen before a couple of weeks.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Much easier in this case to make a local generation list

Yeah, that's what my plan is. I'm planning on just packaging it with, and one for nitrogen and rwg. But i'm really thinking I want to abandon support for everything except kinggen, it's the best maps i've played on by far. And I don't need any features added for it to be that, making the local generation list is easy thanks to kinggen. A20 rwg is gonna have to be mindboggling if it wants to compete with this tool in quality. 

Hi people: Sorry to ask what may be a stupid question - I'm just not geek enough to solve on my own. . .    I use a 43" LG at 3840 x 2160, KG makes top-notch worlds, and I love it, but the KingGen exe always starts in fullscreen mode, whether launched from its desktop shortcut or from the exe itself. I have tried every change I can find on the weeeb, but nothing I do works: it is always fs.   W10 20H2 b19042.985

Thanks!

pj

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

I've been trying out your map maker .. it is nice .. BUT _ where are all the files kept? The only thing that downloads is the exe. to a folder which then I add to Desktop ( this has me puzzled in that Nitrogen has it's own Folder per say with everything in it and I can not find yours.

Also will you be adding more features to your program that can be used for better adjustment of POI elevation .. I used your to make a map, map looks good .. BUT I have alot of POI sitting on mounds of dirt and a few with nothing under them.

Thank you ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

5 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

pj

I have the same Issue and that 1 feature is a pain. I don't need it full screen.

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, paulj_3 said:

Hi people: Sorry to ask what may be a stupid question - I'm just not geek enough to solve on my own. . .    I use a 43" LG at 3840 x 2160, KG makes top-notch worlds, and I love it, but the KingGen exe always starts in fullscreen mode, whether launched from its desktop shortcut or from the exe itself. I have tried every change I can find on the weeeb, but nothing I do works: it is always fs.   W10 20H2 b19042.985

Thanks!

pj

Hi, welcome.

I am very bad with designing UI, so I made KG automatically take up the whole screen. It's not really a full screen, because you can still see the edges of the window.

If you are in Windows, I you can resize the page and make it smaller. I am not sure the elements in the UI will scale down nicely. If you are on Linux it really depends on the distribution.

5 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

I've been trying out your map maker .. it is nice .. BUT _ where are all the files kept? The only thing that downloads is the exe. to a folder which then I add to Desktop ( this has me puzzled in that Nitrogen has it's own Folder per say with everything in it and I can not find yours.

Also will you be adding more features to your program that can be used for better adjustment of POI elevation .. I used your to make a map, map looks good .. BUT I have alot of POI sitting on mounds of dirt and a few with nothing under them.

Thank you ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

Hi,

not having a folder for resources is a design choice. I think it is more practicle and easily distributable to have just one executable.

Yes, I plan on expanding KG and adding more feautures. However, floating pois should not happen. I haven't seen any poi floating using just vanilla stuff. Are you using a custom list?

Thanks, Slayer - (fast reply!!!)  That's too bad. It's just an extra PITA step that gets in the way of everything else that follows when creating a new map.

OldGamer - It puts them right in the folder that you installed KG to after the d/l. I don't like desktops for downloads or exe's because of the problem you have right now! The easiest and safest way is to simply make a new folder for the exe to reside in (such as "E:\Games\7D2D_KingGen", say, and on any drive - just preferably not the C-drive, then put the KG exe into that folder and then run it from that folder. When the new map is complete - you will find the new map folder right there, in it's own folder, right under the "7D2D_KingGen" folder, and with the KG exe sitting below it.

9.JPG

10.JPG

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

I have it on my F drive and this is all I get after making a map and yes, I'm using the Custom Map CP47 for KingGen .

I have building on mound of dirt and Found way down in the ground .. including photo's attached of a couple .. they are Randomly place on the map .

I did a Vanilla game map .. But there wasn't that many of buildings for me to play with on a 10k map, even when using increased setting .. I do not play with wastelands and that is why I like to build my own maps .. I use small for burnt and snow and large on forest ... Here is my currant map 8k with custom CP47.

Hope this helps and Thank You ... the Old Gamer .. 😌 ....................... why do I call me that .. I'll be 75 this year and a Gamer at Heart

I just added the work sheet in case you might want to check it also

Desktop Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 13.26.28.42 (2).png

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 12.26.25.30.png

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 12.29.57.98.png

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 12.37.23.39.png

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 11.51.06.48.png

preview.png

Desktop Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 13.55.02.76 (2).png

Edited by gpcstargate
Added some info (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

I have it on my F drive and this is all I get after making a map and yes, I'm using the Custom Map CP47 for KingGen .

I have building on mound of dirt and Found way down in the ground .. including photo's attached of a couple .. they are Randomly place on the map .

I did a Vanilla game map .. But there wasn't that many of buildings for me to play with on a 10k map, even when using increased setting .. I do not play with wastelands and that is why I like to build my own maps .. I use small for burnt and snow and large on forest ... Here is my currant map 8k with custom CP47.

Hope this helps and Thank You ... the Old Gamer .. 😌 ....................... why do I call me that .. I'll be 75 this year and a Gamer at Heart

Thank you for the feed back and the screenshots.

The error with the elevation of pois is caused by the poi list. If you made that list yourself, than you have to check the "yoffset" parameter of the floating pois. If you are using the official list distributed with CP, then please report the issue to the CP creators (I can put you in touch if you need to).

1 hour ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Thank you for the feed back and the screenshots.

The error with the elevation of pois is caused by the poi list. If you made that list yourself, than you have to check the "yoffset" parameter of the floating pois. If you are using the official list distributed with CP, then please report the issue to the CP creators (I can put you in touch if you need to).

No .. That List is as copied from webpage link as noted on print out .. un-touched by me and those were just few that would have to be fixed.

2 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

preview.png

Hi @gpcstargate

I will take a look at those 3 and the y offsets and let you know.  

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

13 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Do you really need to choose the grid size for each?

I have no idea, really. I need to play with it more to get an idea of the difference between the results at different sizes and it probably is also a factor of how the generator tries to place large POIs into smaller grids.

I was just thinking a common difference between a city and a bedroom community is the size of the city blocks and I was asking the question to kind of probe your thinking, understand your vision, and get an idea of where things are going.

13 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Rural pois are not connected by roads by desing. I don't want the world to be too cluttered by roads and I also want some pois to be complitely isolated.

Oh, that's interesting. I certainly didn't anticipate there being no rural roads by design.

14 minutes ago, zztong said:

I have no idea, really. I need to play with it more to get an idea of the difference between the results at different sizes and it probably is also a factor of how the generator tries to place large POIs into smaller grids. I was just thinking a common difference between a city and a bedroom community is the size of the city blocks and I was asking the question to kind of probe your thinking, understand your vision, and get an idea of where things are going.

City grid is already larger than town grid, which is already larger than village grid. What I was referring to was the possibility to customize those 3 independently from each other... so make villages larger and cities smaller for example...

3 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

preview.png

ok

tv tower is fine yoffeset is correct.
Kuldlargehouse yoffset is correct
Alms_house is correct also. 

@KingSlayerGM

1 minute ago, KingSlayerGM said:

City grid is already larger than town grid, which is already larger than village grid. What I was referring to was the possibility to customize those 3 independently from each other... so make villages larger and cities smaller for example...

Oh, I clearly didn't understand the way things work. I was thinking they all used the same size grid.

I'm also not sure what happens if you get a POI that is larger than the grid. Does it then ignore the POI? Or perhaps puts the POI on the outside edge of the settlement? Or does it make an exception to the grid size? Or...?

I think I forgot to ask about resources underground, like Coal, Iron, etc. I dug around some and didn't find any. Was I blind or that an up-coming thing?

Sorry if I've somehow overlooked a webpage or post with a roadmap or project plan. I'd happily look there to understand where you're going.

1 minute ago, stallionsden said:

ok

tv tower is fine yoffeset is correct.
Kuldlargehouse yoffset is correct
Alms_house is correct alos. 

Farmerjoes has been cut off. Spawned in a tile to small by the looks of it also as that isnt the whole poi and its yoffset and size in the list is also correct so this is either a bug or a bad world spawn and i suggest that you create a new world possibly as that world may have been  borked

@KingSlayerGM

mmm... until I see it happening in vanilla, I am inclined to think it is a CP issue

6 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

the gravel roads connecting pois in vanilla. rural pois are connected to gravel roads, wilderness isnt. not a bad way to tell the 2 apart i think

2 minutes ago, zztong said:

Oh, I clearly didn't understand the way things work. I was thinking they all used the same size grid.

I'm also not sure what happens if you get a POI that is larger than the grid. Does it then ignore the POI? Or perhaps puts the POI on the outside edge of the settlement? Or does it make an exception to the grid size? Or...?

I think I forgot to ask about resources underground, like Coal, Iron, etc. I dug around some and didn't find any. Was I blind or that an up-coming thing?

Sorry if I've somehow overlooked a webpage or post with a roadmap or project plan. I'd happily look there to understand where you're going.

Larger pois are put on the outside edge, or isolated in the wild.

underground stuff is governed by the game, KG canno't take care of that

18 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

mmm... until I see it happening in vanilla, I am inclined to think it is a CP issue

it isnt the yoffest is fine on all those pois. 

checked prefab editor, pois xml and the list all match up. 

they all spawn flat in the modlet as well for vanilla. 

HI Guys

And I Just got done building my Base last night .. I can a New Map if I must .. So Be it. 

If I must .. then I will .. Thank You 

I will run the map before building and see if it has the same issue or not and let you know 

Take Care and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. 😔 

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 14.51.15.09.png

35 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

HI Guys

And I Just got done building my Base last night .. I can a New Map if I must .. So Be it. 

If I must .. then I will .. Thank You 

I will run the map before building and see if it has the same issue or not and let you know 

Take Care and Be Safe ... the Old Gamer .. 😔 

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 14.51.15.09.png

Also are you using the prefabs that came with cp 47 kinggen as those pois look like the old versions of the pois and you are using the new list