KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

3 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

@Gamida doesn't it give you an error message?

They are called "KingGenConfig.txt" and they are saved twice. Once inside the generated world and once right next to KingGen.

Every time you generate a world, the configuration is dumped inside the world, so that if you need to, you can always know how that particular world was generated. A copy of the config is also saved next to KingGen executable file so that next time you open KingGen, it will remember the last configuration.

Thanks. I thought it meant detailed config for the gen.

8 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

@Gamida doesn't it give you an error message?

Just the generic one.

wLtnCzq.png

It's fine. I don't want you to go through what Sphereii did with his launcher lol. I just seem to have bad karma with some mods/apps.

Just do me a favour and keep updating your program so when I do decide to move to Win10 it is all working nicely and up to date. :)

Alright, sorry about that. If you want to give it one more try, you could run it inside a terminal window with the command:

.\KingGen.exe KingGenWorld 4 | more

This might give us more info about the error.

Hey man, I know that formatting a computer might seem a daunting task. Believe me, I have been there. But after you have done it, you actually realize it is fairly easy. It's been probably 10 years now that I format my computer once a year. It keeps everything fresh and running smoothly. The trick is to keep your stuff organized, so when the time comes, you immediately know what to backup and what to leave. Btw since Win 10, you don't need a licence anymore. You can download the original one from Microsoft's website and just keep it "unactivated" (with some minor restrictions).

4 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Alright, sorry about that. If you want to give it one more try, you could run it inside a terminal window with the command:

.\KingGen.exe KingGenWorld 4 | more

This might give us more info about the error.

Hey man, I know that formatting a computer might seem a daunting task. Believe me, I have been there. But after you have done it, you actually realize it is fairly easy. It's been probably 10 years now that I format my computer once a year. It keeps everything fresh and running smoothly. The trick is to keep your stuff organized, so when the time comes, you immediately know what to backup and what to leave. Btw since Win 10, you don't need a licence anymore. You can download the original one from Microsoft's website and just keep it "unactivated" (with some minor restrictions).

Thanks for the info but it is not the daunting part of installing it. I have owned a computer before there was windows. To put it bluntly, I am just lazy when it comes to reinstalling stuff. I have a lot of apps on here and as I said I like to do completely clean installs not updates. It just depresses me to have to install all those again :) . I know I will eventually have to but until then I will have to live with some things not working quite right.

EDIT: I moved program to a folder on C drive called KG. I then cd'd to that folder in cmd window and ran that command above and the program ran and made a map.

EDIT2: I had a weird idea and tried running the file in the folder on C drive and it works there. Could the problem have been, as I downloaded the file on my storage drive (H) and ran it from there, that it wouldn't work as it was expecting the program to be on the C drive?

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Gamida said:

Thanks for the info but it is not the daunting part of installing it. I have owned a computer before there was windows. To put it bluntly, I am just lazy when it comes to reinstalling stuff. I have a lot of apps on here and as I said I like to do completely clean installs not updates. It just depresses me to have to install all those again :) . I know I will eventually have to but until then I will have to live with some things not working quite right.

EDIT: I moved program to a folder on C drive called KG. I then cd'd to that folder in cmd window and ran that command above and the program ran and made a map.

EDIT2: I had a weird idea and tried running the file in the folder on C drive and it works there. Could the problem have been, as I downloaded the file on my storage drive (H) and ran it from there, that it wouldn't work as it was expecting the program to be on the C drive?

Great!

I am not sure why being on a different drive would cause it not to work. Perhaps it's a matter of permissions

16 hours ago, Gamida said:

I made a specific folder for it meself and places in there meself straight up because I wanted the maps generated in 1 folder rather then all over my desktop 

42 minutes ago, SEDATIVE said:

Hello, i noticed 2 little bugs: the medium and the inreased traders option  is the same: only gives a max 14 traders/8k map. And the snow biume small and medium is the same to. So basically only 2 options: Small snow or many.

Traders have a certain probability to spawn. When you select "increased", every city and every town will have a trader. When you select "medium", about 70% of cities and towns will have a trader. If you try a few times you should be able to see that with "medium" some cities do not have a trader.

I tried small and medium snow and for me they are different. Are you sure?

1 hour ago, Evil_Geoff said:

I haven't seen this addressed in the previous posts - can the radiation.png be painted with green in areas that secondary radiation zones are desired?  Rather like the radzones in Darkness Falls or Ravenhearst.

I haven't looked into that yet.

On 5/1/2021 at 8:10 AM, KingSlayerGM said:

Traders have a certain probability to spawn. When you select "increased", every city and every town will have a trader. When you select "medium", about 70% of cities and towns will have a trader. If you try a few times you should be able to see that with "medium" some cities do not have a trader.

I tried small and medium snow and for me they are different. Are you sure?

Ok, i got it for the traders. But do you see my pain for the other issue:
spacer.png

And for the first option before that i got 2 generations where was no snow. So 0% of the map. So the small and medium settings for the snow are a bit low compared to the desert settings, that are great.

Edited by SEDATIVE (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, SEDATIVE said:

Ok, i got it for the traders. But do you see my pain for the other issue:...

And for the first option before that i got 2 generations where was no snow. So 0% of the map. So the small and medium settings for the snow are a bit low compared to the desert settings, that are great.

Are you using the option "small mountains" too? if so, that has an impact on snow.

1 minute ago, SEDATIVE said:

Yup, using it. But in the large version works great.

I see. Let me explain how it works.
When you select snow size, you are actually selecting the elevation at which snow will start to appear. Small snow means higher than 150 elevation, medium means higher than 110 and large means higher than 70. So, if you  generate large or small mountains that has an impact on snow too.

Since you brought it up, I have added "Check snow and mountains balance" to the todo list.

1 minute ago, KingSlayerGM said:

I see. Let me explain how it works.
When you select snow size, you are actually selecting the elevation at which snow will start to appear. Small snow means higher than 150 elevation, medium means higher than 110 and large means higher than 70. So, if you  generate large or small mountains that has an impact on snow too.

Since you brought it up, I have added "Check snow and mountains balance" to the todo list.

THanks for the info. :) 

Version 0.5.0 released!

Here is what's new:

• Improved village generation (now smoother)
  • Added option for all custom sizes 5K,6K,7K....
  • Added city grid size option
  • Added spawn points option
  • Added button to increase and decrease number of generations
  • Added header image
  • Added check for newer versions available
  • Added Rtree data structure for cities towns and villages locations
Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

i get an error

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "gui.py", line 661, in generate_world
  File "settings.py", line 26, in dump_settings
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\KingGenConfig.txt'

everything default apart from trying a 10k map an no terrain roughness

7 hours ago, Data said:

i get an error

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1892, in __call__
  File "gui.py", line 661, in generate_world
  File "settings.py", line 26, in dump_settings
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '.\\KingGenConfig.txt'

everything default apart from trying a 10k map an no terrain roughness

You need to put KingGen somewhere where it has writing permission. This error is saying that it cannot save the config file.

Or run it in as administrator.

9 hours ago, bachgaman said:

Is it normal that KingGen is on "Generating random pois" for a very long time and it consumes only 70 MB of RAM and 0% of the CPU?

It is not normal. Does it eventually finish the generation? How long does it stay on "generating random pois"? Which settings are you using?

3 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

It is not normal. Does it eventually finish the generation? How long does it stay on "generating random pois"? Which settings are you using?

Thanks for the answer, already got help in the Magolis Compo Pack discord.

It turns out that I downloaded the wrong POI pack (I downloaded for nitrogen) and in the case of KingGen, there was no need to generate a new list of custom POIs because the pack includes vanilla ones

And they also said that KingGen.exe should be on the desktop

As a result, everything worked out for me

1 minute ago, pottervogel said:

Hello, is there a way in version 0.5.0 to spawn pois unique? 

Hi,

currently there is no way to force POI uinqueness.

However, KingGen tries its best to choose POIs that haven't been chosen yet. Have you encountered a situation where the same POI spawned multiple times in close proximity?